Options

Nit's and Crits PLEASE!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    wow ... I love the reworked le droit! Those eyes pop ... and the nose and cheeks bones are really nice!

Yeah, gave a little D&B to the gal!

DonRicklin wrote: »
    I like le Droit II, too! thumb.gif much better than the blue version, original and the image without the darker stripe across the eyes definitely works better for me! :D

Don

Yep! Lost the stripe! Good idea:D

I'm beginning to lean with y'all on going with le droit II~ Fortunately I am redoing each time...otherwise I would really be in puke mode...Easy to get nauseous looking at the same C--P over and over and over...~

Okay, that's three or four with a concensus!! Almost enough for a cupcake party!mwink.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Hmmm should I use the rope, lead pipe, gun, etc to kill it
    Jenn wrote: »
    I've been staring at this newest image trying to figure out what bugs me about it. Is the eye on the left (when you're looking at it).. the one without the tears... a tad too far to the left? Or maybe the nose bridge is a little too high. I can't figure it out. I still miss the darker eyes although the 2nd set of eyes kind of grow on me.

What just happened to that awesome first photo in the competition. You know the one I was telling all my friends about?eek7.gif

Dude,
    Your an awesome artist/photographer so brace yourself for this C&C. :whip Your first image was On Time bro! The fan pattern on her iris was sweet honey!

This reworked image is really good conceptually but that's all. The PS editing of this new one is....well, not good. Sorry to be harsh but I think the real tears are from the person behind the mask of the first photo for getting pulled out of the contest.

What's wrong with the PS? Let me count the ways
    1. The eyes are not exposed the same as the rest of the pic
    2. The eyes are out of focus. This looks like someone cut them out and pasted on top of a photo. This may be what you were going for but it looks amateur.
    3. The liquefy effect of the tears makes no sense to me. It's like hmmm how can I make the cheek look wet? I know I'll use liquefy. Wait a minute, that looks like a motion blur, man those tears are falling fast.
    4. The image looks flat. The first image had great depth and dimension.
    5. The whole reflection bit doesn't help, its a little over the top and doesn't add anything.
      1. Maybe make the top image w/o tears and the bottom crying will be better IMO.
    Sorry to put you through the ringer but I really was so impressed with the first image I hate to see her go. I know a lot of time I over think things and keep tweaking and adding and tweaking when sometimes the beauty is simplicity.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    I agree with all of that and the first image was great, but it seems that all I could focus on was the nose shadow. Poor Tom - you are getting tossed around like a ship in high seas! I've never seen an entry spark so much controversy and confusion. You do what you think is best and good luck!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    PupWeb wrote: »
    What just happened to that awesome first photo in the competition. You know the one I was telling all my friends about?eek7.gif

Dude,
    Your an awesome artist/photographer so brace yourself for this C&C. :whip Your first image was On Time bro! The fan pattern on her iris was sweet honey!

This reworked image is really good conceptually but that's all. The PS editing of this new one is....well, not good. Sorry to be harsh but I think the real tears are from the person behind the mask of the first photo for getting pulled out of the contest.

1. The eyes are not exposed the same as the rest of the pic
    2. The eyes are out of focus. This looks like someone cut them out and pasted on top of a photo. This may be what you were going for but it looks amateur.
    3. The liquefy effect of the tears makes no sense to me. It's like hmmm how can I make the cheek look wet? I know I'll use liquefy. Wait a minute, that looks like a motion blur, man those tears are falling fast.
    4. The image looks flat. The first image had great depth and dimension.
    5. The whole reflection bit doesn't help, its a little over the top and doesn't add anything.
      1. Maybe make the top image w/o tears and the bottom crying will be better IMO.
    Sorry to put you through the ringer but I really was so impressed with the first image I hate to see her go. I know a lot of time I over think things and keep tweaking and adding and tweaking when sometimes the beauty is simplicity.

So.,....tell me how you really feel?rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Okay, so you're talking the entry I have now versus the reworked Le droit? Cool! Or are you kinda talking about Le droit II and laced with Tears both?

Just clarify!

SeascapeS wrote: »
    I agree with all of that and the first image was great, but it seems that all I could focus on was the nose shadow. Poor Tom - you are getting tossed around like a ship in high seas! I've never seen an entry spark so much controversy and confusion. You do what you think is best and good luck!

Hey, ya know! That is why we post to hear our best and worst critics!

Me, I'm ridin the fence...but the barbed wires becoming a pain!

Controversy? I am HONORED! I never will forget how I won a Crowd-voice-vote by having so very many boo's one time in my racin days! Brought home the trophy too!

Boo's & Yays...Eliciting a reaction is pri-1

I was thinking today I'd be very lucky to place in this challenge just because of the attention.

Despite that thought, Hearing folks actually take the time to take me to task or give me high marks is a learning experience I treasure!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010

1. .......... it looks amateur.
    2. The liquefy effect of the tears makes no sense to me. It's like hmmm how can I make the cheek look wet? I know I'll use liquefy. Wait a minute, that looks like a motion blur, man those tears are falling fast.
    in truth, Even though I own PS, I haven't gotten the hang of it, and rarely use it. But, now that I know something called liquify exists, I will definitely look it up!

The tears. I actually created the tears. I take it there is an easier way?

I posted a link earlier in the discussion of a movie I had made which led me down this road. (The tears you see in that movie, are a movie I created of tears by-themselves).

I wasn't trying to make the cheek look wet. I was attempting, however feebly to make it appear that tears had made her Lace run.

Thanks again for the full stop critique!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Tom, I was hard on you b/c your worth it
    Ok I absolutely love your first entry, the way the cheek bone looks adds mystery to the photo. I keep finding more things I like about it.

1018323614_6nXCo-M.jpg

On to Photoshop.

I was thinking you ps'd the tears and that looked like pure ps wizardry. I was like why does effects look really good and other not so. I see your learning PS, hey we all are. What ever you do make it look puposefull, the tears being really good and the smudgy blur of the lace behind the tears conflicts in style.

Oh BTW if you want to do anything in PS Google it, there is a video tutorial somewhere out there to teach you. God has already blessed with a beautiful imagination, use the power of PS to share it with the world.

The eyes are better here, properly exposed and composited. But the cheek here losses a little imterest.

1028660728_2KxE3-L.jpg

You will choose a photo that does well no matter what. In conceptual photography interpretation is left up to the viewer. Even if they perceive something totally different. The challenge is getting every body to see what you see.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Liquefy the photographers friend
    Definitely learn liquefy. You can make boobies bigger, noses smaller, hips proportional and more! The trick is to not over do it. Just enough to flatter and not be noticed. :D
  • Options
    amiableamiable Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Originally posted by PupWeb

You will choose a photo that does well no matter what. In conceptual photography interpretation is left up to the viewer. Even if they perceive something totally different. The challenge is getting every body to see what you see.

15524779-Ti.gif Precisely! As a theatre teacher, I teach my students a process called "artist-centered evaluation," in which we, the viewers, evaluate each artist's performance not by prescribing what we would do to improve it, but rather by describing our interpretation of the performance and the character....this allows the actor to decide if his portrayal of the character came across the way he intended, and if not, he is able to make changes as he sees fit. It seems that this is an appropriate way to approach the critiques in these challenges, as well.

I don't interpret any of the comments you've received as boos...just a difference of opinion in which version deserves the most yays! All are excellent, and quite frankly, I just get a kick out of reading your humorous responses to comments.:D Perhaps your task now is to decide which version has the largest majority of us "seeing what you see."
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    You will choose a photo that does well no matter what.

Okay, what are you...a fortune cookie?
    amiable wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif Precisely! As a theatre teacher, I teach my students a process called "artist-centered evaluation," in which we, the viewers, evaluate each artist's performance not by prescribing what we would do to improve it, but rather by describing our interpretation of the performance and the character....this allows the actor to decide if his portrayal of the character came across the way he intended, and if not, he is able to make changes as he sees fit. It seems that this is an appropriate way to approach the critiques in these challenges, as well.

Fortune cookie say: You...You one smart cookie!

amiable wrote: »

I don't interpret any of the comments you've received as boos...just a difference of opinion in which version deserves the most yays! All are excellent, and quite frankly, I just get a kick out of reading your humorous responses to comments.:D Perhaps your task now is to decide which version has the largest majority of us "seeing what you see."

The thing you teach your students in performance interpretation has it's roots of course in communications. And yet, I have never looked at my art that way. Thanks to you...I will reevalutate my strategies regarding challenges. Nice!

Amiable? Mistress of understatement are we?
    tom wise
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Both photos are very cool. The thing that draws me the most is the eyes in the original le droit - the intricate lace pattern there is so unexpected and beautiful - they are phenomenal! They don't seem to come across as well in the redo. But I do agree that the nose shadow in the original is a little harsh. Beautiful, either way.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    lkbart wrote: »
    Both photos are very cool. The thing that draws me the most is the eyes in the original le droit - the intricate lace pattern there is so unexpected and beautiful - they are phenomenal! They don't seem to come across as well in the redo. But I do agree that the nose shadow in the original is a little harsh. Beautiful, either way.

Thanks for chiming in! Makes it hard when you have several good potential entries..........and beats the alternative!thumb.gif Which, this is challenge 60, and the last time I had an idea for a challenge AND had time, was #47.
    tom wise
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    My two cents, I like "Current entry: Le droit" The lace in that one looks best to me. It is clear and sharp and I like the contrast. I like the eyes. Yes, the nose is not perfect, but to me it isn't a deal breaker.
  • Options
    amiableamiable Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »

Amiable? Mistress of understatement are we?

Well, you know, I do what I can. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    My two cents, I like "Current entry: Le droit" The lace in that one looks best to me. It is clear and sharp and I like the contrast. I like the eyes. Yes, the nose is not perfect, but to me it isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks! I have a nose-shadow-repaired version at the ready!
    1031014416_B8iPV-M.jpg
    tom wise
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I still prefer this one.... but then, I am not usually in the majority, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

1018323614_6nXCo-M.jpg
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Getting down to the wire, but just for the heck of it, crop the reworked nose one and get the contrast/brightness the same as the original (if you have time). :D If not, that's okay! I was just curious to see it that way.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I really like your current entry. I find the cheekbones and nose a distraction in the latest version.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    richtersl wrote: »
    I really like your current entry. I find the cheekbones and nose a distraction in the latest version.

Ya know. I think Linda is onto Something.....Kinda like why I never did believe in kissing ex-girlfriends...Already been there!

I like each entry for the time and for what it is. Le droit. She was what first happened. Then after two days, I found something else I liked. Then via everyone's love of Le droit, I created le droit 2. But really I like 'em all!
    Kinda like all the folks that suggest or give me critique, hard to pic a fav!

You know the thing that really bothers me most?? I mean, what really, really gets my goat?? Sitting here typing and listening to my Shower door slowly finish what it started about 20 minutes ago. Disintegration! When I moved here in July I installed a Nice New Glass Shower door...very clean lines, very nice....D i s i n t e r g r a t e d ! Damn!
    just weird!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    I still prefer this one.... but then, I am not usually in the majority, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

1018323614_6nXCo-M.jpg

Salt? I added salt to my diet this summer..!! thanks...not to worry about being in the majority....Not being part of the Majority means dancing to the tune in your head, right?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Getting down to the wire, but just for the heck of it, crop the reworked nose one and get the contrast/brightness the same as the original (if you have time). :D If not, that's okay! I was just curious to see it that way.

I may do that just to see what reaction I get...but really, it depends on how much time I have and if making these Turkey burgers, eating them and then reading takes too much time!:D

Thanks again for the Suggestions!
    tom wise
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I agree with dnie. I still like the first one the best.

I like the effect of the tears in With Tears, but I think you lose the impact of the simplicity in the first.

And I like the wider face and contrast better in the first over the reworked one.

Excellent work all the way around!clap.gif
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I agree with dnie. I still like the first one the best.

I like the effect of the tears in With Tears, but I think you lose the impact of the simplicity in the first.

And I like the wider face and contrast better in the first over the reworked one.

Excellent work all the way around!clap.gif
    I still like the first (the one I made the first comment to, in the Gallery, but a the same time still feel it could be less cold, Toned more like the second droit and the tear one. thumb.gif.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I still like the first (the one I made the first comment to, in the Gallery, but a the same time still feel it could be less cold, Toned more like the second droit and the tear one. thumb.gif.

Don

That's right, you did Don! I thank you for that, and the follow up!
    tom wise