edited October 18, 2010 in Assignments
Let's start with something as simple as 1-2-3. :wink

1 subject;
2 lights;
3 totally different looks.

My personal recommendations:
  1. Diagonal lighting: rembrandt main/key + rim/hair
  2. Shape silhouette: both lights as rims
  3. Clamshell: butterfly key + horror main (or vice versa).
Caveat:
I intentionally use trade-specific terms without explaining what they are. Use google/bing to find out their meaning. It's a part of the learning curve, consider it your homework.

Each entry should consist of 3x2=6 images: for each look you'd need to submit a final image plus a picture of your setup.

OK, lights, camera, action!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Excellent! Can they be existing shots if it's not possible to shoot to order?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Excellent! Can they be existing shots if it's not possible to shoot to order?
    Sorry, no go. Unless otherwise specified it should be a fresh set of pictures. Same basic rules from the sticky apply. The idea is to shoot/process on spec, not to dig through archives and see what fits and what not.
    Doesn't mean you have to do it immediately though ;-)
    edited October 3, 2010
    Gotcha! Wish this had come up last week - I could have worked it into my headshot shoot since that's kind of what I was doing anyway... :D:D:D

Great idea Nik - thanks for launching this! thumb.gif
    edited October 3, 2010
    Gotcha! Wish this had come up last week - I could have worked it into my headshot shoot since that's kind of what I was doing anyway... :D:D:D

Great idea Nik - thanks for launching this! thumb.gif

You'll get another one, I'm sure:-) mwink.gif
    And you're welcome! thumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    This is great Nik. Stay tuned for my entries.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited October 4, 2010
    Oh yeah, one other question: reflectors allowed, or lights only?
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    :lurk
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    I'll see if I can get myself a model to shoot this coming week or so...sounds great!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 4, 2010
    Oh yeah, one other question: reflectors allowed, or lights only?

Just two lights. No reflectors. Gobos/grids/backdrops are ok.
    We will have a chance to use refectors, no worries mwink.gif
    edited October 4, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I'll see if I can get myself a model to shoot this coming week or so...sounds great!

If you (or anybody else) struggle with the lack of subjects/models, get something like a garden gnome or a classic bust, or some other sort of life-size-like statue (doesn't have to be exactly 100%).
    edited October 4, 2010
    ^^^

Ok, that's a great idea (and I may well have to resort to something along those lines), but I'm laughing out loud at the thought of glamour-lighting a garden gnome.... rolleyes1.gif
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    :lurk watching untill I can give it a try this weekend-
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
    edited October 4, 2010
    ^^^

Ok, that's a great idea (and I may well have to resort to something along those lines), but I'm laughing out loud at the thought of glamour-lighting a garden gnome.... rolleyes1.gif

Hey, at least you won't get any *diva*-like attitude (pun intended iloveyou.gif;-)
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    If you (or anybody else) struggle with the lack of subjects/models, get something like a garden gnome or a classic bust, or some other sort of life-size-like statue (doesn't have to be exactly 100%).

Got ya
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 4, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hey, at least you won't get any *diva*-like attitude (pun intended iloveyou.gif;-)

Oh, I dunno - mess with their toadstools and some of those garden gnomes can get pretty uppity.... rolleyes1.gif :lol :haha
  • MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Sweet! Thanks for doing this. I think this will take me to the next level of lighting!!! I should have some shots by this weekend!
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    I'm somewhat new to these assignments, but would love to play this weekend.

Do we post the images in this thread?

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited October 7, 2010
    I'm somewhat new to these assignments, but would love to play this weekend.

Do we post the images in this thread?

Chris

Yes, you do. Also please check out #148. It's kinda critical that everyone participates in it.
    edited October 10, 2010
    :lurk because RL has gone nuts. Still hope to try this if I get a chance (and a model), but it's likely not going to be right away....
    edited October 10, 2010
    :lurk because RL has gone nuts. Still hope to try this if I get a chance (and a model), but it's likely not going to be right away....

No worries, I know models do not grow on trees.

Oh, wait... Sometimes they do:

497806424_yiS9P-L-1.jpg

mwink.gifrofl

Seriously, keep thinking about it, and in the mean time, please check out the #148 "Nightmare 2010".
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    I admit I am cheating and messed up with the Rembrandt in that I did not get the set-up shot.
    Consider this entry one for me, will set up and do again during the week. Just think this thread needs an entry.

Rembrandt
    1052063687_2ixpg-XL.jpg

Clamshell
    1052065797_Y7ZRt-XL.jpg
    SET-UP
    1052090295_XHUyW-L.jpg

Rim
    1052065328_dog3r-XL.jpg
    SET_UP
    1052090292_h4kAE-L.jpg

For all the shots I need better control of spill light, especially the rim lighting if I want the unlit areas darker. A larger ratio of key to fill would likely help the Rembrandt lighting as well, but with poor control of spill light in a small biege colored room makes that a little harder.
    Guess it is time to make gobos and snoots for better control.

And yes that is my son... Dressed up for Halloween. He is really excited about his dress :)
    edited October 18, 2010
    Toshido wrote: »
    I admit I am cheating and messed up with the Rembrandt in that I did not get the set-up shot.
    Consider this entry one for me, will set up and do again during the week. Just think this thread needs an entry.

For all the shots I need better control of spill light, especially the rim lighting if I want the unlit areas darker. A larger ratio of key to fill would likely help the Rembrandt lighting as well, but with poor control of spill light in a small biege colored room makes that a little harder.
    Guess it is time to make gobos and snoots for better control.

And yes that is my son... Dressed up for Halloween. He is really excited about his dress :)

Thank you! I hope you would catch up with the rembrandt setup shot.
    It would also help if you added captions to the individual images. I mean, I have no issues telling which is which, but I guess those who are new to all this may have some problems identifying the setup name with the results.

And yes, light spill is one the biggest enemies for studio portraiture. Shoot-through umbrellas and tight spaces (and generally light-colored indoor paint) only make it worse. Unfortunately the only way to get both soft light and tight spill control is to use some sort of a softbox with a grid, but those kinds of things get co$tly fast... As a "po' man" option (especially considering a high portability of your setup) one can try to do it outdoors (back yard/driveway) after sunset. At least in that case there will be pretty much zero reflection coming from the walls/ceiling, and the only thing you'd have to watch for is the reflection from the ground. The latter can be minimized if shooting on the asphalt-covered pavement (as opposed to a much lighter concrete) or completely blocked by a few yards of black non-reflective fabric.

HTH
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Wasn't sure if you wanted them labeled or not, so going to label them now.

I really don't think my Rembrandt was the best example of Rembrandt lighting I got of him, but this is definitely the best picture of the shots I did get with that lighting setup.