Options

Canon Sensor Cleaning

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Cameras
My 1D2 sensor is dusty, can't seem to get a couple particles off. About how much does Canon charge for sensor cleaning in your experience? It's not under warranty.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    You really need to learn how to clean your own sensor. Basically it sounds like you need to wet clean your sensor. There are quite a few different product that will do this.

The one tool I will highly recommend is a Visible Sensor Loupe. This is a magnifying glass with an internal battery powered light. You can see the dust, smudges etc. on on the sensor and know in seconds if what ever effort or method you used has done the trick or if you need to go to the next step.

My approach is simple:

1. Air 2. Brush 3. Wet clean

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    I've tried blowing it, & I'll try it again. But I'd really rather have Canon touch the sensor, I already get nervous blowing it ;~).
    Has anyone had Canon clean their sensor?
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Ok this might sound odd but put it in the freezer for just a short time and then use compressed air. The camera shop that cleaned my cameras before I learned there tricks this is how they do it. Works almost every time. I would try not to touch the sensor with anything if you can just my two cents.
  • Options
    stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Why not try the copper hill method? I own a 5d and it gets dusty quite often. I was apprehensive about cleaning it myself but after some research and actually seeing how easy (and safe) it is to clean myself, I am quite satisfied.

http://www.copperhillimages.com

-Jon
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    You aren't "touching" the sensor, just the AA filter (glass) in front of the sensor. Wet cleaning sucks. No matter how LITTLE fluid I put on, I still get smears and end up spending an hour cleaning the damn glass. I use canned air + synthetic bristle art brush. Spray canned air into brush, creates static charge in bristles to make dust stick. Insert into camera, repeat until clean. I will use a wet clean (pre-packaged ones, sensor-swabs) only if last resort andf can't get something to move. That or a valued CPS coupon for a free cleaning from canon. But then it's about having the pay $100 for the membership which kinda makes up for the cleaning fee.. lol
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    Jonnyyaya wrote: »
    Ok this might sound odd but put it in the freezer for just a short time and then use compressed air. The camera shop that cleaned my cameras before I learned there tricks this is how they do it. Works almost every time. I would try not to touch the sensor with anything if you can just my two cents.

Hmm... interesting. I'd try that, but wouldn't it risk condensation or something from going from cold temp to room temp?
    Why not try the copper hill method?

I'll look into it.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Why not try the copper hill method? I own a 5d and it gets dusty quite often. I was apprehensive about cleaning it myself but after some research and actually seeing how easy (and safe) it is to clean myself, I am quite satisfied.

http://www.copperhillimages.com

-Jon

I agree, use the copperhill or just get the eclipse solution and swabs (cheaper), it's easy to do your own sensor cleaning!
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Not sure which models are affected, but have also read about some of the cameras that have built-in sensor cleaning, like my Canon 50D. I understand that there's a small "tray" of sticky stuff at the base of the sensor. When the ultrasonic cleaning takes place (whenever camera is turned ON or OFF), the vibrations are supposed to knock the dust free, and the particle drops down and gets captured in the sticky stuff. Have read of some that accidentally smeared the sticky stuff onto the sensor during cleaning.

I've used the copperhill method with success on my 30D and older Rebel. But haven't tried yet on my 50D. Only recently noticed some dust on 50D images with slower, panning blur images. Will be investigating soon, but will be wary of the sticky stuff. :D
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    copperhill works fine on my 40D, which also has the sensor shaky thing. I will say the sensor shake does keep my sensor dust free longer than without it, but it won't last for ever. At some point, you gotta get in there and get rid of the tough stuff
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Let me point out the downside of not being able to clean your own sensor.

Lets say you send your camera in to Canon, or any other company to clean your sensor. No one I know of has a class one clean room. I don't think they even have a laminar flow hood, or negative ion generators.

They can clean the sensor and make it spotless and dustless. Once in the box and shipped back to you all the motion, and bouncing of shipping can easily jar loose dust, dirt from the nooks and crannies of the camera's interior.

So you receive your camera back and it still has dust on the sensor. Or you get your camera back and it is still spotless, then you change a lens. Ooops more dust.

If your serious about your photography and want to use DLSR with a variety of lenses you really need to learn how to clean your own sensor.

Face the fear. It ain't rocket science.

Sam
  • Options
    paparosspapaross Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    You really need to learn how to clean your own sensor. Basically it sounds like you need to wet clean your sensor. There are quite a few different product that will do this.

The one tool I will highly recommend is a Visible Sensor Loupe. This is a magnifying glass with an internal battery powered light. You can see the dust, smudges etc. on on the sensor and know in seconds if what ever effort or method you used has done the trick or if you need to go to the next step.

My approach is simple:

1. Air 2. Brush 3. Wet clean

Sam

Sam, what you are saying makes absolute sense, but it's like diving off the high diving board for the 1st time when you were a kid. I need more hand holding than your post. What specifically do you use, brand etc, where do you get it, and do you know where there is specific instructions on the web as to how to do it?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    relax, its really easy. First time is a bit nerve racking, but remember, you don't touch the actual sensor, just a glass cover over it.

Start here:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

it goes into tremendous detail of how to do it. And you can buy the materials, inexpensively from them.

I purchased this kit:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3

it has the PecPad wipes, the cleaning fluid and the specially sized spatula you wrap the wipes around.
    I also recommend this brush, for when you gotta get off a dust particle and don't have time or patience for the wet method:
    http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=1
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Face the fear. It ain't rocket science.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    OK, let me get into detail. I have a (Giottos, I think) blower thingy, you know, one of those black and red things. Well, I've tried that a bunch of times and it isn't working. I won't blow compressed air onto my sensor, I've heard that can leave a residue. I'd prefer if I didn't have to buy anything, but it looks like that might not happen. So hopefully I can find an inexpensive solution, I'm still saving for a SD4000 IS, a few lenses, etc. etc. I went to Copperhill and that page says all this stuff about how great their method is, how they dicovered it, etc. etc. But I don't see any specific instructions other than to get one of their swabs and brush off your sensor (am I missing something, is it that simple? ;~). I might look into buying one of their swabs if it will work and it's simple. And I'd really rather not get my sensor wet, not sure if Copperhill does that. Here is a photo. I'm really just concerned about that big speck in the top right, I blow the top right of my sensor and it won't budge. And it can get a lot more pronounced with sharper egdes than it is here. I think I can deal with the others if I can just get this one off. Here it is, sorry no blue sky or perfect white background, but it's dark here in VA at 6:00 ;~). And sports photographers don't have lighting geardeal.gif
  • Options
    stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    save you the aggravation I had for 2 years. I have a rocket blower as well. Would not get off some of the dirt. I was sick and tired of cloning out dust specs but my hard head had kept me scared of touching my sensor (your not really touching the sensor, just the glass filter). After a week vacation and several thousand images with dust specs I decided to do the research. All of it pointed to how safe and effective a self wet clean by some of the aforementioned products were. I wound up buying the copperhill package and have been 100% satisfied since doing that. That was a couple years ago and wish I had done it sooner.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I see several have already suggested the copper hill method......they have great instructions to follow...it really is a no brainer.....
    it is easy peaszy ....simple..........You can buy more than 1 Copper Hill kit for the price of just one cleaning by a store or especially if you send
    a camera in for cleaning from the mfg'er.......really unless it is super gunked up with something the Copper Hill Method only takes a few minutes...
    like 5 or 10 and then shoot a pic of a white wall at f22 (no flash) and check for the enemy.....
    I have been cleaning my own cams for over 4 yrs now......plus I like getting the rainbow colored slinkys that copper hill sends you.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    OK, let me get into detail. I have a (Giottos, I think) blower thingy, you know, one of those black and red things. Well, I've tried that a bunch of times and it isn't working. I won't blow compressed air onto my sensor ...

Despite views to the contrary, compressed air blown straight onto a sensor has never caused a problem with any of the three dSLRs I've owned to date, and is always my first strategy. I've done it, successfully, dozens of times. It removes at least 90%, often all, dust first time. However I am extremely careful to ensure the can is never shaken or tipped up to prevent any propellant being carried on the air and onto the sensor.
    I'd prefer if I didn't have to buy anything, but it looks like that might not happen. So hopefully I can find an inexpensive solution

This isn't just a cost issue as you're prepared to pay money to Canon! eek7.gif
    I went to Copperhill and that page says all this stuff about how great their method is, how they dicovered it, etc. etc. But I don't see any specific instructions other than to get one of their swabs and brush off your sensor (am I missing something, is it that simple? ;~). I might look into buying one of their swabs if it will work and it's simple. And I'd really rather not get my sensor wet, not sure if Copperhill does that.

Thousands of photographers are getting their sensors 'wet' every day (for the fraction of a second that it takes the solvent to evaporate) as they remove stubborn dust. Do you want a clean sensor, or not? ne_nau.gif
    Here is a photo. I'm really just concerned about that big speck in the top right, I blow the top right of my sensor and it won't budge. And it can get a lot more pronounced with sharper egdes than it is here.

It's exactly the same dust, just reproduced differently depending on the aperture size (f/stop) used for the image. nod.gif

Now there's no more to say. You've been offered good advice from the personal experience of others. Take your courage in your hands and just do it! When it's done, you'll wonder what you were agonising over thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    papaross wrote: »
    Sam, what you are saying makes absolute sense, but it's like diving off the high diving board for the 1st time when you were a kid. I need more hand holding than your post. What specifically do you use, brand etc, where do you get it, and do you know where there is specific instructions on the web as to how to do it?

Rule number 1: This is NOT the way to get the job done (no cameras were harmed in the making of this image): :D
    439901342_Djhmf-M.jpg

Hand-holding - check out this post of mine from about 3 years ago: (linkie). After three years of doing this on multiple cameras (20D/30D/50D/5DII), the only change I might make is that I would limit the amount of MeOH (I'm a trained chemist, google it :D) added to the swab to one drop max.

I usually only use about 1/2 a drop of the MeOH. This is accomplished by holding the swab in one hand and letting a drop of MeOH fall from the bottle to the swab - positioning each such that the drop just skims past the swab. About 1/2 the drop end up on the floor (no damage - it just evaporates) and the balance is on the swab.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I sympathize. I was REALLY REALLY nervous before my first time cleaning the sensor on my 50D. Worked out fine. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Don't use canned air. That can include impurities that will stick to the sensor. That may be why one poster above had problems. Use a blower. I use a large Giotto rocket blower. Hold the camera lens-opening down. That usually takes care of most of it.

2. When air is not enough, my next step is a high-static brush, which I bought from Copper Hill.

3. For wet cleaning, I use the copper hill materials and method. (they have a nice tutorial on line.) I never do this unless 1 & 2 don't work. I think twice, so far, because 1 and 2 usually work fine.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    Scott,

I just glanced through your cleaning list and it looks pretty standard to me.

The one thing I can't emphasize enough is how much easier the task is using a sensor loupe.

While you are tuning off the camera, attaching the lens. taking another shot, analyzing the results, and repeating. I would be able to easily go through the steps of blowing, brushing, and wet swabbing without the necessity of turning off the camera, attaching the lens taking a shot, etc.

Well worth the $$ if you own a DLSR.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    OK, looks like some of you haven't read my first post and/or the post with the image in it. If you haven't already, please do so ;~).
    Now, blowing isn't working. Looks like I'll try a dry static swab thing. But I don't want to do a wet cleaning. So I've been reading on Copperhill, looks like they say to do mostly wet-cleaning stuff. So what dry brush should I get? The lenspen is cheap, do you mean you have something like this and just rub the dust off your sensor Richy?
    http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=&products_id=LP-1&tpid=146
    Copperhill has some brushes, is this a typical one? It says only recommended after you do a wet cleaning...
    http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=1
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    I don't want to do a wet cleaning.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    What? Dry cleanings work fine for most purposes, don't they?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    What? Dry cleanings work fine for most purposes, don't they?

Key word here..MOST.

Why you have a sociological phobia against wet cleaning is between you and your mental health professional, but there is no scientific, rational reason not to use the Cooperhill wet swab method when needed. That is what we all use. That is what Canon will use.

After you have the sensor cleaned, no matter who cleans it, it will need cleaning again. Maybe in a day, maybe in a week, or maybe a year, but it will need cleaning again.

Of course you could always buy 3 cameras. A main camera, a backup, and one in transit for cleaning. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    I don't have sensorphobia, but I'd rather try a dry static method first, and see if that works. Can someone recommend a dry thing, like that lenspen, does it work well just dusting off your sensor? Or should I try something from copperhill?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    To answer your question in your first post, I've read somewhere that the cost is about $50 +s/h. It can take anywhere from a day (plus transit time there and back) to as much as week to get the work done. Those same sources have indicated that they were less than pleased with the results. Sometimes, the sensor was actually more dusty/dirty than when it was sent in - probably for the reasons posted here.

But (addressing some of your other statements), here's the deal .... dry cleaning may or may not address the issue seen in your posted image - I kinda doubt it will. It looks like you've got a pretty good and soft something there. Dry cleaning has trouble with that sort of stuff.

The wet method will take care of it. It might take a couple of attempts to get the job done, but it will do it.

Additionally, the need to clean the sensor is a fact of life with a dSLR .... at least it is if you are going to be swapping lenses. For about $30, you can get the materials needed to do the job yourself (more if you also spring for the sensor loupe as indicated by Sam). The first time you do it, it is something of a chest-grabber. But, the second time it's "old-hat".
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    Looks like I'm gonna try the lenspen. If that doesn't work then I'll look into wet cleaning.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Can someone recommend a dry thing, like that lenspen, does it work well just dusting off your sensor? Or should I try something from copperhill?
    my next step is a high-static brush, which I bought from Copper Hill.

It seems to work fine, and because it is a brush, the amount of pressure on the glass covering the sensor (if you use it gently) is very slight.
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    I have been watching this thread (OK lurking) and I don't understand the concern about wet cleaning. headscratch.gif

I have a Canon 50D and once I saw the sensor dust spots on some of my key landscape shots I was not a happy camper. After research I bought the Copperhill cleaning kit, including the lighted loupe that Sam has recommended.

It took me several tries to get it right but I now can effectively clean my sensor with ease and no ill effects.

Sure even Copperhill recommends air clean first, static brush second and wet clean last. My personal experience has been dry cleaning for me has not resolved my problems except for rare occasions. Wet cleaning once done properly per the Copperhill process has always left the sensor clean and ready to shoot again. clap.gif
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    For those of you who are faint at heart about cleaning your sensor, there is an excellent video by Laurie Excell on www.Kelbytraining.com. If you have replaced a dslr and still have the old one hanging around collecting dust (no pun intended mwink.gif) try practicing on the old camera, first. That's what I did so now my 20d and 7d are spanking clean.

You can do a one month membership on kelby training. If you do that, check out the series that kelby did in New York with Jay Maisel on street shooting. They are terrific. Those and the sensor cleaning ones are worth the price of admission for a month.