Options

WCC #15 "First Dance"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    It seems that there are a few entry's without an owner. At least, not one that I can see.
    Anybody wanna step forward and claim the un-labeled entries?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    next one..cakes or rings!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    next one..cakes or rings!

You mean January's challenge? Because December is already planned to be "Best of " and open themed.
    *See the first entry of this thread for more specifics.*
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    You mean January's challenge? Because December is already planned to be "Best of " and open themed.
    *See the first entry of this thread for more specifics.*

He has been DYING for that challenge! I think given the off month, how about a contest thread JUST for Qarik.

Daniel, upload your favorite cake and ring shots and we'll vote for your best one! rolleyes1.gif

(but seriously):D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    I know! Poor Qarik.iloveyou.gif

We should do one *just* for him. It could be a Qarik Christmas present.:stud
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Alright so, time to judge! I'm shooting Childrens' theater every single day this week though, so I might not get a final decision for a couple more days.

=Matt=
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Alright so, time to judge! I'm shooting Childrens' theater every single day this week though, so I might not get a final decision for a couple more days.

=Matt=

Hi all, been offline for a couple of days as we just moved into a new place. Keep us posted Matt! The winners new challenge-theme will be happening in JANUARY, as we'll do a best of 2010 challenge for December. I'll create a new gallery for that one by tomorrow, need to fight my never ending list of emails first headscratch.gif

Thanks for your patience!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    So many great submissions! Looking forward to seeing the final decision on winners :)
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2010
    I know! Poor Qarik.iloveyou.gif

We should do one *just* for him. It could be a Qarik Christmas present.:stud

that will do... hahaha!
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2010
    that will do... hahaha!

rolleyes1.gifthumb

Matt, any news?? :D
  • Options
    WeddingShooterWeddingShooter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2010
    Matt: T Shirt & Tennis shoes at a wedding - not cool
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gifthumb

Matt, any news?? :D

ditto... any updates?
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    Matt is currently traveling, but I'm sure he'll let us know soon :)
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    Matt: T Shirt & Tennis shoes at a wedding - not cool
    Not sure what this means, kinda cryptic. Care to elaborate? (Edit: Oh, are you talking about the sample image I posted? The photographer in the picture is the bride's brother...)

I'm on an airplane right now, doing my final decision and write-up... :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    Winner: #22 - Matthew McCulloch - LightCraft!!
    Tender moment, well composed, well lit, well timed. Tastefully high-key exposure, I can tell that it would have not had nearly as much impact if it had been even 1/2 of a stop darker. Also there are no distractions, just their expressions captured by a real artist. Good work!

2nd Place: #16 - Urbanaries!!
    Beautiful light, love the deep shadows, beautiful setting, love the un-distracting composition and I only wish that it had maybe been a wider shot, maybe horizontal. The vertical works great though, with that ceiling and then the reflective dance floor. Beautiful!

3rd Place: #29 - Quarik!!
    I dunno what it is, but 2010 has been the year I fall in love with dramatic light and shadow. I guess I've just seen too many perfectly exposed images already, I need something to really jump out at me these days. And a tiny bit of rim light in a sea of black, now that really jumps out. My only quibble is that the moment between these two could have been a little more intimate; I know that not every couple is all lovey-dovey, but I wish they were just about to kiss or something, or at least a little bit closer. And I also wish that their faces were equally rim-lit; maybe if they had rotated clockwise just a few degrees more, or you had taken a few steps to your right. But like I said, still a winning image by any means. :-D

A critique of the others: Remember, this is just my personal taste, preference, and opinion. I'm not a professional critic, I'm just rattling off the first things that come to mind. So please don't be hurt.

Anywho, I did see a lot of "plain" bounced flash, and distracting backgrounds. I would recommend that when shooting a wedding reception, either shoot ambient and go low-key, or use directional off-camera light, maybe even with a snoot so that stray flash doesn't spill onto floors, walls, and backgrounds etc. Especially when bouncing light, because of the distance it has to travel when bouncing, things tend to look very evenly exposed for both the subject and the background. While that might be a good thing for certain compositions where there is a very important element in the background, most of the time it just makes the image flat and boring.

Also, while I don't agree with shallow depth just for the sake of shallow depth, it is important to consider your aperture and compare it to how distracting the background is going to get. A lot of the time either shooting wide open, or changing the composition slightly to frame distracting elements AWAY from the subject, can go a very long way...

Alright, that's all for now folks! I'm humbled to have this opportunity to "judge" a contest. :-)

Take care,
    =Matt=
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Cool! Thanks Matt!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Yay, Matt!

Now, Matt, pick Jan's challenge suited for Qarik. He is desperate to enter. Sorta.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Awww, 3 "beautifuls"? I'll take it. Thanks, Matt and Congrats to...Matt!

(And Qarik, I love that image too!)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    Excellent choices Matt! clap.giflust

Have to say I absolutely loved all three!

Congratulations!

iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    cool! *cough cakes COUGH rings COUGH*
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010

I think you might need some Riiiicolaaaaa :D
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    Congrats to all the winners! YAYA! :)

Matt, you'll have to let us know about the new JANUARY challenge (but send me a PM first, so I can set up the gallery :D)
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    To many awesome ring shooters around here. Judging rings would suck for sure!! Ha! I think I will wait to announce it until 2011. Maybe I'll do it right after the toast! I'm going to be in Ft. Meyers Beach, bar hopping on a boat, so... maybe not the best idea!

Matt

Lynn, I have to say I really like your image... Quarik, yours is great too. A lot of awesome images in this one.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    I must say, if the next challenge is rings, I'll be packin' some pretty killer shots and giving you a run for your (bling) money! Bring it on! :-D

=Matt=