Pull backs....lets have some!

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited October 18, 2016 in People
The red set is lit with a 4x6 softbox, a hair light, a kicker and a fill that is behind me and a grid on a background light. You can see the effect of the hair light and if you look at the viewers right shoulder you can see a small accent on her shoulder from the kicker.

The blue/gold is lit with a 4x6 soft box and a reflector. There is a grid on a background light hitting the gold wall. On the pull back there is no reflector. Look at the opposite side of the face on that one then on the next two there is a reflector used....see how it opens the shadow.

These are basically straight out of the camera. Slight adjustments to exposures and midtones. No retouching. I'll post the finished product after the new year.

1. 1141846147_BZLdU-XL-1.jpg

2. 1141846764_txRqG-XL.jpg

3. 1141846843_XNaj6-XL.jpg

4. 1141846988_qD5fH-XL.jpg

5. 1141847107_vNxbD-XL.jpg

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Thanks Charles. Light for thought!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    (GREAT idea for a thread! clap.gif)

Question: why do you have her sitting on a blanket/towel (?) in the first one?
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    (GREAT idea for a thread! clap.gif)

Question: why do you have her sitting on a blanket/towel (?) in the first one?

@divamum:
    I'm going to guess its because the back of the chair is taller than the model, and sitting on the blanket gives her some height in relation to the chair-back?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Yes, back was way too talll for her.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I LOVE this subject matter, it is very helpful to me !! Thanks for starting the thread!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    I LOVE this subject matter, it is very helpful to me !! Thanks for starting the thread!

+1! clap.gif
    Canon Fan
    edited December 31, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation - I didn't think of that because I was so struck by the way the blanket was angled to push her forward that it didn't occur to me it was simply to raise her up (my ability to miss the obvious sometimes is pretty amazing rolleyes1.gif)

This is such a great thread - I hope lots of people will contribute their own pullbacks over the months, since it's SOOOO helpful!!
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    It's always great to see the whole setup like this......fantastic portraits btw......
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Thanks for the set up shot, really like #4,#5.
    edited January 4, 2011
    Again these are right out of camera with a very quick black pt adjustment and no cropping. The pull backs were taken with a little canon set on auto. I'll try to post the finished product soon.
    2 was with 4x6 main, hair and fill bounced off ceiling. Blue gel on bkg lt.
    4 was with 4x6 main and reflector and two strips at bkg.
    6 was two strips coming in from behind and the 4x6 low in front.
    9 was just the home made reflector filling in shadow. The reflector is white, or grey or silver. I used the white.
    I had to work fast with this guy (they were very late and I had another one after this) so I didn't always hit the exposure correctly the first time.

2. 1146919519_pZpA4-XL.jpg
    2a. 1146919559_AuUN2-XL.jpg
    4. 1146919627_aDK8k-XL.jpg
    4a. 1146919676_8ftMY-XL.jpg
    6. 1146919742_SxhMu-XL.jpg
    6a. 1146919791_zUGEK-XL.jpg
    9. 1146919951_bkuZE-XL.jpg
    9a. 1146920126_VLEw2-XL.jpg
    9b. 1146920214_kQnvS-XL.jpg
    edited January 4, 2011
    One for fun.
    1146929540_tQFSn-XL.jpg
    edited January 4, 2011
    Wow - that 4x6 really earns its keep, doesn't it? Love - LOVE - #6. Next item on my wishlist is some stripboxes (which means some more flashes to put in them) - I've found that 90% of the time when I really like a lighting setup and ask what it was... strips were involved.

Presumably you have separate sets pre-built at your studio and don't have to rejig this stuff during the shoot... or do you? And presumably that outside set is (semi) permanent?

Once again, THANK YOU!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Presumably you have separate sets pre-built at your studio and don't have to rejig this stuff during the shoot... or do you? And presumably that outside set is (semi) permanent?

Once again, THANK YOU!

Thats what I was thinking (with jealousy in my heart). Especially since everything I do has to be portable from one shot to the next (wedding/ event) coverage....

These are super fun to see! Thanks for the details and explanations behind each pic. Super fun thread!clap.gif
    edited January 4, 2011
    Divamum, my shooting room is about 17 by 34. I've got a bunch of stuff I just put together in different arrangements so I can make a variety of looks. I use both ends of the room plus some of the sides. The outside is a dune I built one summer.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Charles, DUDE!! You are the man, LOVE, LOVE this insight! And the sand pit, whoaaa! Awesome creativity at work, we all want to play at your house !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Really great set ups......

Ok now I gotta ask...what lights are you using.......did over look it as I was perusing the great pix??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 4, 2011
    Art, I use White Lightnings and Alien Bees mainly. MY fill lights are old Normans. Boxes are a bit of everyone, Larson, Paul Buff, Apollo etc.
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Art, I use White Lightnings and Alien Bees mainly. MY fill lights are old Normans. Boxes are a bit of everyone, Larson, Paul Buff, Apollo etc.

The 4x6 is lit with which??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Thanks for posting these. It is very helpful to see the setup and the final results, which are very nice indeed...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited January 4, 2011
    Art, the 4x6 has a White Lightning 600 in it. I had a Photogenic 1250dr in it and sold it because it had too much power and I could not dial it down enough.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Ditto all the other guys!

Once again Charles thanks for a great contribution!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 4, 2011
    Art, the 4x6 has a White Lightning 600 in it. I had a Photogenic 1250dr in it and sold it because it had too much power and I could not dial it down enough.

Wow getting all that light from one 600 that is great.

Thanx

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this thread! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your pull backs. Really interesting to see for a studio-newbie like me (uhm, ok ... wanna be studio-newbie that *just* got some lights) :D THANK YOU!
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    this is so very informative. Hope to see more input.
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I know it doesn't compare, but here's my pullback on my newborn shots -- thankfully there was a HUGE wall of windows in this house.

I mainly took this to prove that my husband does shoot newborns, he'll never go on a newborn shoot with me again, so I'm sooo glad I got this one out of him - that and seeing his 6'2" frame on a ladder was just hilarious.

Mikayla BTS
    edited January 5, 2011
    Nice post. Next time you have a window try what you always do and then move the infant back to the edge of the window and see if you like what your get. The light should be softer there
    edited January 5, 2011
    A few finished ones of the boy.

1147862017_zZxrM-XL.jpg

1147862057_9MGXq-XL.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    A few finished ones of the boy.
    Saw these pop on on FB yesterday. Wow! bowdown.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Great thread here Charles. Thanks so much for sharing the setup info - very nice.

Images are great too but I really love 6a.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
    edited January 5, 2011
    Ms Madison, lets have a finished shot of the above set up.