Options

How do you shoot? raw vs jpeg

2»

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Honest Injun, cross my fingers and hope to die.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Honest Injun, cross my fingers and hope to die.

lol.. well, FYI its been a hot argument topic since digital came out.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Was trying to help some folks out on another part of the forum from making some mistakes that I made. Newbies.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I chose raw on the [poll....but you were actually missing an option...Raw+jpeg....which is what I actually shoot......
    There are times when the sooc jpeg is good enuff for a client for printing but I want that raw file to work on if need be.....
    I take lots of time in shot prep to cut down on PP...so I am ecstatic when I get great jpegs sooc......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Art, I agree with shooting both at the same time. Will save you one day. I'm just trying to impress on beginners the importance of shooting raw for a better file and to not be afraid of it.
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I want to keep harping on this. Raw will save you headaches when that instance of mishap happens and it will.

It's not a question of size (speaking of computers) but quality. Please read http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

Thank you for that link! Best article on RAW vs JPEG I ever read.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Raw, unless there's a very compelling reason to shoot jpg (eg frame rate, problem with memory space, especially requested by auspices ie when I did the Strobist shoot, need to present many images without a chance to process manually etc)

Especially for the variable light in my theatre shoots it's very helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Richy, sorry I took it the wrong way. You're correct on hard to read tone over the net. Anyway too old to worry about it. Have a great Merry Christmas to you and you group.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    How about Raw+Jpg? That's what I do mostly.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I, too, shoot RAW+JPG, so won't vote. The survey is not really valid without a check for "both".
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    Lol, as a marketing major I was going to say something about it being bias, but I kept my mouth shut.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    If your really smart and have the money you should shoot both. But in real life with beginngers thru professionals it is amazing how many do one or the other. Never meant to be scientific. Like in life.....you can't please everyone so one should stop trying.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I voted raw because I use the raw files 99.99% of the time. The only reason I shoot raw+jpg (instead of just raw) is so I can preview the images faster, and delete both raws and jpg (since jpgs are faster to view than raws). I then delete the jpgs and PP the raws.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    This question can be a little misleading as it is not often a selection, it is decided by the hardware. I have a P & S that does not shoot RAW, so I shoot JPG with it. On my DSLR I shoot RAW most of the time, but not exclusively. There is always a trade off between the options. RAW requires a little more in the workflow; but since the information is not already decimated (true annotation, not connotation) it provides for less errors when doing mathematical adjustments (post processing). Is it better? Your choice and opinion, to me getting the shot in the first place is the important part. :) Prefer RAW but not going to go nuts if situational boundaries make it JPG as I have as many good JPG pictures as I do RAW.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 22, 2010
    Exactly.

My DMC-ZS7 does not shoot RAW, but but does shoot tiffs or jpgs. I use either depending on my intentions for the image. I can get grainless 8x10s from it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    I shoot jpg more and more these days. I use an expodisc and get near perfect results sooc, both white balance and exposure. Really saves time in post processing.
    +1

I usually have someone do the post-processing and zipping up a ton of RAWs and transmitting them is no fun. I'll flip to RAW for a few shots if I don't feel I have good control of exposure or white balance in some situations.

But if it's a landscape or HDR? RAW at 100 ISO. Totally different from a wedding or other big event.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2010
    Baldy wrote: »
    +1

I usually have someone do the post-processing and zipping up a ton of RAWs and transmitting them is no fun. I'll flip to RAW for a few shots if I don't feel I have good control of exposure or white balance in some situations.

Who do you outsource your editing with? I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

Jeremy
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    I'm also interested, I'd still outsource suppin an tuppin before PP but it seems popular, perhaps time for a rethink lol

I hear shootdotedit is really good. and I have some photographer friends that do editing too.. Just curious if he uses a different company than what I'm checking out.
    Jer
  • Options
    oddfodderoddfodder Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I started out shooting RAW but I found that it was too tedious to process. I'm sure there are a few good images that got away because I didn't shoot RAW, but the rest of the images I shot without having to convert them made it worthwhile. Not to say there isn't a benefit to shooting raw. I think if I were trying to eek out every detail in my image, I would be a RAW freak...
  • Options
    JMichaelKJMichaelK Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I started shooting only RAW a couple of years ago and just learned how to best work with that format. To me shooting jpegs is like shooting film and only getting 4x6 prints back from the lab without the negatives. There are too many options available when shooting RAW that are not as available with jpeg. I also prefer to process the images myself rather than let the camera decide what looks best. When we shoot jpeg the camera makes a lot of decisions about how the image will look, when we shoot RAW, we get to decide. Storage is my biggest problem with shooting RAW. I have plenty of storage and it costs less for external hard drives these days, it is more about connecting all the storage. I have about 16TB of external hard drives and it is a real pain to get them all cataloged in Lightroom. There is also an issue with daisy chaining all those drives, especially with Firewire 800. I'll still shoot RAW no matter what.
    J. Michael Krouskop
    http://belmontphoto.smugmug.com/
    http:/weddingphotonashville.com
    Nikon D700 (3 bodies), Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24 f/1.4, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 50 f/1.4, Nikon 85 f/1.4, Nikon 70-200 f/2.g VRII, SB-900(2), SB-800(5)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    JMichaelK, any need to keep all those images on-line at all times? One thing I always liked about iView Media Pro was how it would store thumbnails only locally and allow you to look at small versions of your images, still apply keywords and rankings, organize images into groups and collections, while the large files are offline on some disk in a closet somewhere. Very handy.

Can you have multiple Lightroom catalogs, one for each driver perhaps?

As per the camera making decisions for you, I agree. Remember everyone, ALL OF US SHOOT IN RAW. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US. The only differences is, is the RAW converter you use inside your camera, or is it on your computer? Once you get your head around this concept the whole question of "raw versus jpg" takes on a whole new slant.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    JMichaelKJMichaelK Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    JMichaelK, any need to keep all those images on-line at all times? One thing I always liked about iView Media Pro was how it would store thumbnails only locally and allow you to look at small versions of your images, still apply keywords and rankings, organize images into groups and collections, while the large files are offline on some disk in a closet somewhere. Very handy.

Can you have multiple Lightroom catalogs, one for each driver perhaps?

As per the camera making decisions for you, I agree. Remember everyone, ALL OF US SHOOT IN RAW. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US. The only differences is, is the RAW converter you use inside your camera, or is it on your computer? Once you get your head around this concept the whole question of "raw versus jpg" takes on a whole new slant.
    I have my Lightroom set to discard the 1:1 previews after a week, which I believe means that only a preview image is stored. I also start a new catalog with every new hard drive. The issue is that when hard drives go bad and that happens more than I prefer, I end creating a new catalog of the same images on a new hard drive. It is more about keeping up with everything and maintaining some order. I keep most of my hard drives turned off when not in use, but sometimes I need them all on when searching for a certain image. After spending quite a bit of time talking with the tech guys at different hard drive manufacturers I have discovered that daisy chaining lots of hard drives is bad for the drives, especially when using firewire 800. There is a new USB 3 coming out which hopefully eliminate some of the issues I am having.
    J. Michael Krouskop
    http://belmontphoto.smugmug.com/
    http:/weddingphotonashville.com
    Nikon D700 (3 bodies), Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24 f/1.4, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 50 f/1.4, Nikon 85 f/1.4, Nikon 70-200 f/2.g VRII, SB-900(2), SB-800(5)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 18, 2011
    eSATA for external drives really rocks!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Who do you outsource your editing with? I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

Jeremy

Happy Fish Designs...and they allow FTP uploading or mail in a Disk........they do great work.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I'm one of those people that usually shoots RAW only, but sometimes
    switches over to .jpg only for action shots on a bright and sunny day
    where I'm taking burst multiple images to freeze action. Sports, usually.

The only time this has been a problem is when I forget to change
    back to RAW when I change scenes or subject matter. Invariably,
    there's a capture that I wish was a RAW capture.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Philip GohPhilip Goh Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Baldy wrote: »
    +1

I usually have someone do the post-processing and zipping up a ton of RAWs and transmitting them is no fun.

In your experience, how do JPEGs handle the post-processing?
  • Options
    six2onesix2one Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    when i am doing some fancy work and am taking less than 300 shots i will use raw. if i am at the track and shooting i will use jpg cause i will have about 2600 shots before the day is out
  • Options
    Tas67Tas67 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I used to shoot Raw and Jpeg but noticed how the skin tones would start looking funky when processing jpg. So, now I shoot only Raw.
  • Options
    stevenrecordsstevenrecords Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2011
    RAW of course. And I will sometimes shoot TIFF so I can have the uncompressed file with internal camera adjustments. Although that's not on the list