Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Her is a link to the young ladies video. http://animoto.com/play/AKl8pcu8mtEwLneJd03tSQ?autostart=true
    The senior drape shots were with main 4x6 box, fill, hair, kicker and backlight.
    Most of the others were with the 4x6 softbox and a bkg light and ocassionally a kicker.
    Some of the head shots on the gray bgk were with a beauty dish.
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Thanks for the "real time" info Charles!
    this place rocks...grinnnn
    edited January 27, 2011
    Trying to use different lights and comparing the results. The red one was with a small 10 by 30 strip box with a kicker to the viewers left and a red gel on a bkg lt to intensify the bkg.

1169676932_8EfyM-XL.jpg
    1169676895_g5vZA-XL.jpg

The grey one was with an Alien Bee ring flash and a kicker and a bkg lt.
    1169677035_MfUDq-XL.jpg
    1169677002_kwpJW-XL.jpg
    1169676958_9ovue-XL.jpg

last one was with a beauty dish with a sock on the front. With a kicker to viewers left and a bkg lt with a small grid on it to keep the light tight.
    1169677151_LvrmQ-XL.jpg
    1169677093_T3KbU-XL.jpg
    1169677059_RJiUG-XL.jpg
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I enjoy this thread SO much! Thanks for posting!!!!!! (I know I said it before)
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Trying to use different lights and comparing the results. The red one was with a small 10 by 30 strip box with a kicker to the viewers left and a red gel on a bkg lt to intensify the bkg.

Can you come to my house and set up my game room? Just checkin'! Really, great thread and awesome ideas! Thanks
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
    edited February 3, 2011
    For these three shots I used a Qflash into an umbrella about 15ft from the subject. Metered for the bkg and adjusted the flash output to that f stop. Flash is off to my left. The second shot has alittle bit of Lucius on it. It was a very overcast day and just began to drizzle abit.

1. 1176563023_MAiiX-XL.jpg

2. 1176563148_zmshM-XL.jpg

3. 1176563207_yGN6A-XL.jpg
    edited February 21, 2011
    The outside shots were done with the setup shown and the inside one was with one umbrella. Exposed for the sky and then brought the light in to the same setting with a second light to add some light to the vehicles or to rim the fireman. I also added some Topaz Adjust to the Fireman.

1.1194269475_dwHhz-XL.jpg

2. 1194268332_wkVro-XL.jpg

3. 1194268512_BsMh2-XL.jpg

4 1194268695_m5Pwu-XL.jpg

5.1194268837_obLRw-XL.jpg
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Yeah these are certainly interesting Charles, there's a graphic inkiness to them. Wide POV is effective.

Reminds me of this guy's style -

http://www.calvinhollywood-blog.com/portfolio/

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Ok, I LOVE these pull back shots. Great education:D
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    OK... this is getting "stickied" because it's quite educational.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 23, 2011
    Come on folks.....if you've got a cool shot lets see how you did it, do a pull back. If your like me you forget what the heck you did. In or out of studio......with reflectors, lights or both or flashlights. Lets get this kickin!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Not a good pull back because I didn't get a chance to change lens and my space is tight, but it does give a slight idea of how this worked. I had the Photek 45 Softliter 45-80* camera left, but then decided to try my 2nd flash bounced into the hallway/vestibule behind/next to the subject camera right. SCORE! It effectively turned the vestibule into a 5x8 ft softbox - I dialled FEC and the ratio way down on that flash (I shoot ETTL since only one of my flashes has a manual mode) and it worked a treat. I possibly could/should have cut the light on that rear flash even more, but here I liked both the fill and the hair boost thumb.gif

1204727053_WUKuC-L.jpg

1204727004_bmZuU-L.jpg
    edited March 3, 2011
    Great job!!!! Just remember to generally bring in the main from behind her forward shoulder to give some depth to the breast area. I like your lighting ratio.
    edited March 3, 2011
    One soft box main and reflector. Generally this is used the majority of the time. Two strips lighting the bkg coming in behind the subject at a 45 to bkg. Reflector is silver main about 4ft away.

1204774826_qhsCg-XL.jpg

1204774936_bVxVS-XL.jpg
    edited March 3, 2011
    Using powered lights, bees, white lighting, etc. Don't have a pocket wizzard.......no problem........use your speed light on camera with power set to low and use that to trigger the slaves.....it works. Don't point the flash at subject just aim it up.
  • EFoxPhotographyEFoxPhotography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2011
    I love 9b! What did you use just a white board?
    edited March 5, 2011
    I love 9b! What did you use just a white board?
    You can see the reflector in 9a. It is a foam core insulation board that has a dull grey side, a super shinny side and white shelving paper on two sides. I use the white due to the shinny side being wayyyyyyy to much. It was reflecting the direct setting sun back onto him.
    edited March 6, 2011
    Same setup here....4x6 to the left with two lights on bkg and a reflector fill. Floor has a 4x8 sheet of white something like Formica from Home Depot $30ish dollars. That's why the reflectivity. I would have done alot more with the baloons but he wasn't in a good mood to start and by the third outfit he was difficult. Don't you just love how a 30 something parent tries to reason with a 2 year old!

1.1207556566_qtGbS-L.jpg

2. 1207558010_QEVWb-L.jpg

3. 1207558919_gHVPP-L.jpg
    edited March 7, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Don't you just love how a 30 something parent tries to reason with a 2 year old!

rolleyes1.gif

Neil

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Looking in the archives
    I should have several (although I often forget to take these types of shots). Will look this evening and post some.....should be fun. mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • supremespy2supremespy2 Banned Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2011
    I love the way the red background turned out on your first shot, thanks for sharing
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Wow a picture is worth 1000 words
    Love the pull back thread! We will learn so much from this!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    edited March 10, 2011
    Need some others to post here. This is my very slow time of the year so they might be alittle far and few between.
    edited March 12, 2011

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Once we finish cleaning up the last few things from our move a few weeks ago, I'd love to turn the dining room (which our dining room takes up maybe 1/4th of the room in) into an improntu studio when needed for proper backdrops and lighting and all that jazz... definitely a lot of great ideas here on all the things I'll need when I decide to try that out!
    edited March 14, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »

Not a bad primer for those looking for info on how to use lights. Not overly complicated, very simple but lacking in depth explaniation but for $10 not a big waste of dollars.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Not cute people, but close...

1217499446_k9nzc-L-1.jpg

And the pull back...

The large umbrella on left was not used. The flash on ground was set to 1/16 and I used a shoot through sock. I think the other flash was set to 1/16 and bounced off a smaller silver umbrella.

1217500464_TzvHd-L-1.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Wow a great thread is an understatement and said many times and yet I will say it again! Looking forward to seeing more added here.
    Thanks for giving life to this thread Charles!
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Here's one from some prom photos I did last year:

4630114617_4f7fa22c9d_z.jpg

Those are christmas lights hanging in front of a black sheet, on top of a roll of gray seamless. Tried just using the seamless but it didn't work because the lights illuminated the paper and you could see it in the photo, instead of just lights surrounded by blackness. So I put the sheet in between to make it work. One softbox for key and a smaller one as a hair light.

And the result:

873028327_8x7V7-L-1.jpg

Of course, with a small subject and zoomed all the way in to 200mm, the bokeh could get even larger:

873036221_HFnBz-L-1.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    I like the results you have here. Very nice. Thanks for the details.