Options

Got a sitemap question? Look here.

Comments

• Options
    CFPhotographyCFPhotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Twoofy wrote: »
    I would not say it is "the" issue, but if right-click protection is turned on there is no way that Google will be able to grab your images. I was surprised to discover this too, to be honest :)

- Greg

I am not so sure that is the issue either. My blog has right click protection on all of my photos, yet all of those images show up in google...
  • Options
    TwoofyTwoofy Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I am not so sure that is the issue either. My blog has right click protection on all of my photos, yet all of those images show up in google...

I am a bit confused by what you are saying here. Your blog links to images on SmugMug that are right-click protected?

We know for an absolute fact that currently if galleries on SmugMug are right-click protected, they will not be picked up by Google Image Search during a crawl of your photos. Linking to them from an external blog, depending on how that is done, may open up a backdoor that allows it to happen.

- Greg
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    So does this mean that if we now turn off right click protection, all images will get indexed ?? I can't believe this is the answer to all of us who beefed about our images not showing up in Google for so long - is it?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    TwoofyTwoofy Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    So does this mean that if we now turn off right click protection, all images will get indexed ?? I can't believe this is the answer to all of us who beefed about our images not showing up in Google for so long - is it?

Caroline

I want to make sure to choose my words very carefully here because I think there are other factors. But, I can absolutely positively guarantee that if you have right click protection turned on, Google Image Search will not pick up your images by crawling SmugMug. It is also important to know that if you disable right-click protection there is nothing that would prevent someone from right-clicking the image in Google Image Search and just saving it from there.

- Greg
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I want to make sure to choose my words very carefully here because I think there are other factors. But, I can absolutely positively guarantee that if you have right click protection turned on, Google Image Search will not pick up your images by crawling SmugMug. It is also important to know that if you disable right-click protection there is nothing that would prevent someone from right-clicking the image in Google Image Search and just saving it from there.

- Greg

Hi Greg,
    As usual with images online it's a catch 22 :) Thank you for being specific.

Cheers,
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 4, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Holy $&^# Batman, everyone has been complaining that none of their
    Smugmug photos show up in Google image search, only from blogs etc. So
    this is the problem, right-click protection on?
    Yes, it's *a* problem, absolutely. Twoofy and I are kindof shaking our heads over it because at least I should have known and should have made this clearer in the UI.

Our engineers were simply thinking as engineers and making sure there wasn't a back door that they were enabling. We'd love to change this. We just want to get comfortable that it won't take other pros by surprise.

There are some other issues we're working on, like the filename issue, which should make a difference. But in working with some pros who had right click on with no images in Google image search, when they turned off right-click, their images started to appear.
  • Options
    eyeforimageseyeforimages Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    As a note, I actually removed right click protection from all of my galleries over 6-9 months ago and decided on limiting image size uploaded and watermarking as a deterrent to copying my work.

Also, I've been working on various bits of testing with my site/SEO/etc... and I'm going to be writing a blog article soon to cover my findings... I'll be bumping it up here blog.eyeforimages.com, I'll update you guys as soon as I have it finished... I've definitely seen an improvement with the stuff I have done, some covered by the SMUGMUG SEO book and some other things I've tried....

Cheers
    Paul Stoakes
    Eye For Images
    Site: http://www.eyeforimages.com
    Blog: http://blog.eyeforimages.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Baldy wrote: »
    Yes, it's *a* problem, absolutely. Twoofy and I are kindof shaking our heads over it because at least I should have known and should have made this clearer in the UI.

Our engineers were simply thinking as engineers and making sure there wasn't a back door that they were enabling. We'd love to change this. We just want to get comfortable that it won't take other pros by surprise.

There are some other issues we're working on, like the filename issue, which should make a difference. But in working with some pros who had right click on with no images in Google image search, when they turned off right-click, their images started to appear.
    Perhaps there's a way for RCP to only apply to sizes "X" and larger? User
    sets the min size under gallery settings.

But what do crawlers see on a page? Is it only what's displayed depending
    on window size? Do they wait for the page to generate then read the
    source code? What window size would then apply?

Just curious, no nuthin' about any of this. :D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Perhaps there's a way for RCP to only apply to sizes "X" and larger? User
    sets the min size under gallery settings.

But what do crawlers see on a page? Is it only what's displayed depending
    on window size? Do they wait for the page to generate then read the
    source code? What window size would then apply?

Just curious, no nuthin' about any of this. :D
    My understanding is that (with the search engine's permission) Smugmug generates a static size HTML page view for crawlers because the crawlers don't see everything that is generated by the regular Ajax/Javascript views. So, they're already detecting crawlers and adapting. They can certainly adapt more.

It's likely not a hard technology problem to solve - I think the conundrum is more about what do site owners want/expect? If you want your images in Google images, then RCP won't work because your images will be displayed with RCP in Google. I've personally never liked RCP since it's so easily bypassed it generates a false sense of security (witness the number of sites with RCP on and originals enabled). I think the only clear solution is to offer four choices:

( ) Normal right-click protection with no search engine indexing (e.g. images not found or displayed in Google Images)
    ( ) Partial right-click protection with search engine indexing (right-click protection will apply on Smugmug, but not on the search sites - e.g. images will be indexed by Google images and will display there without right-click protection)
    (o) No right-click protection with search engine indexing.
    ( ) No right-click protection with no search engine indexing.

Note: Right-click protection is only a mild deterrent. It is not a full solution for image security or image theft. Some combination of image watermarks, limiting the maximum viewable size and gallery passwords should be used for more thorough protection.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited April 4, 2011
    ...I can absolutely positively guarantee that if you have right click protection turned on, Google Image Search will not pick up your images by crawling SmugMug. It is also important to know that if you disable right-click protection there is nothing that would prevent someone from right-clicking the image in Google Image Search and just saving it from there.
    Yes, it's *a* problem, absolutely. Twoofy and I are kind of shaking our heads over it because at least I should have known and should have made this clearer in the UI.

The fact remains that "protection" is a poorly named feature. Every one of your users should be aware of the fact that an image that is displayed can be grabbed from the browser cache very easily.

I chose to turn right-click (non)protection on as a reminder to people that the images are copyrighted and aren't intended to be available (for free) for use other than viewing online. But I have been aware from the time that I enabled it that the images are still there to be grabbed.

Unfortunately I would guess that a good proportion of your customers thinks it is protection. Yes, I know, you blogged about it not being protection. And I posted a thread in the customization forum to point that out as well. Yet, I've seen many many smug sites where the owner has turned protection on, made their originals available, and thought they were protected from someone stealing their images.
    jfriend wrote: »
    ...It's likely not a hard technology problem to solve - I think the conundrum is more about what do site owners want/expect?

I think the only clear solution is to offer four choices:

( ) Normal right-click protection with no search engine indexing (e.g. images not found or displayed in Google Images)
    ( ) Partial right-click protection with search engine indexing (right-click protection will apply on Smugmug, but not on the search sites - e.g. images will be indexed by Google images and will display there without right-click protection)
    (o) No right-click protection with search engine indexing.
    ( ) No right-click protection with no search engine indexing.

Note: Right-click protection is only a mild deterrent. It is not a full solution for image security or image theft. Some combination of image watermarks, limiting the maximum viewable size and gallery passwords should be used for more thorough protection.
    I'm with you on this. I still want a message on right click even though I know it is not even a small stumbling block. It serves as a reminder, nothing else. And I do want my images indexed by Google.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    The fact remains that "protection" is a poorly named feature. Every one of your users should be aware of the fact that an image that is displayed can be grabbed from the browser cache very easily.
    I wonder if a better name for it would be "right-click warning"?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    That would be a huge improvement, especially given that it doesn't protect anything.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    So what size or sizes would get indexed? Ti > O?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    So what size or sizes would get indexed? Ti > O?
    Only those that you allow. If you allow O, then O. If you allow up to X2, then only up to X2.
  • Options
    Bob_ABob_A Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I wonder if RCP with gallery thumbnails being indexed would be a good solution.
  • Options
    storstor Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Google Search
    I am a new Pro user and is still in progress of doing up my site called Asian Photos Arts. I tried Google and Bing search for my site and found this.

On Bing search for Asian Photos Arts, it appeared on the top line.

On Google search, it did not appear except that it linked to one of my galleries. In Google search, Asian Photos Arts, goes straight to an advertising media which I put up an advert. I have done all the SEO procedures as stated by Smumug and have submitted my URL to Google. So the question here is did I missed out anything? Do I need to work on and create Google site maps? I have read the issues on this forum on Google site maps and wonder how can I checked if my images faces the same problem in Google search. Any help will be appreciated as I am quite lost on Google site maps.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    I am beginning to doubt if I did make a right decision to sign up with SmugMug after all. Nobody bothers to reply to this matter and I wrote to SmugMug help site hours ago and till now failed to get a reply either. What kind of support is this???
    stor wrote: »
    I am a new Pro user and is still in progress of doing up my site called Asian Photos Arts. I tried Google and Bing search for my site and found this.

On Bing search for Asian Photos Arts, it appeared on the top line.

On Google search, it did not appear except that it linked to one of my galleries. In Google search, Asian Photos Arts, goes straight to an advertising media which I put up an advert. I have done all the SEO procedures as stated by Smumug and have submitted my URL to Google. So the question here is did I missed out anything? Do I need to work on and create Google site maps? I have read the issues on this forum on Google site maps and wonder how can I checked if my images faces the same problem in Google search. Any help will be appreciated as I am quite lost on Google site maps.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    I am beginning to doubt if I did make a right decision to sign up with SmugMug after all. Nobody bothers to reply to this matter and I wrote to SmugMug help site hours ago and till now failed to get a reply either. What kind of support is this???

Hi, you posted after midnight last night, and I'm gonna answer you now and also check on your email at the help desk, standby.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    Hi, ticket #265623 was answered at 930am ET, did you not get our reply? I'm going to answer your other questions now right here.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    So the question here is did I missed out anything? Do I need to work on and create Google site maps? I have read the issues on this forum on Google site maps and wonder how can I checked if my images faces the same problem in Google search. Any help will be appreciated as I am quite lost on Google site maps.

Site maps are automatically done by SmugMug, you need do nothing. There is more info on Google Image Search here: Read from here down http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1586326#post1586326
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Hi, ticket #265623 was answered at 930am ET, did you not get our reply? I'm going to answer your other questions now right here.

This is the reply I got. BTW, your help site mentioned reply should be within 2 hours and it gave me the impression that it is 24 hours basis. You are there morning now and I here midnight. You sound frustrated don't you?

[FONT=&quot]Hi Stor1463,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting SmugMug.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I am so sorry you are having trouble. We just recently found out that right click protection is keeping users images from being found on Google searches. We have been working so hard at protecting your photos and realized the right click protection setting keeps your pictures from being found. Here is a post from Chris MacAskill giving a little more information on Dgrin about this recent find. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1586326&postcount=65[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you any other questions or problems please let us know.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]All the best,
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
    www.smugmug.com/help[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    This is the reply I got. BTW, your help site mentioned reply should be within 2 hours and it gave me the impression that it is 24 hours basis. You are there morning now and I here midnight. You sound frustrated don't you?

Heh, sorry I'm not frustrated at all - I just want to help. Smuggy does sleep a little bit during the wee hours here in the US. But not long, typically 4 hours or so. I'm here right now for you and able to answer any follow ups you have.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    Good idea, and maybe let Google start indexing them at the same time. I hope not too many customers would be dismayed by this.

Someone mentioned that images do well showing up in image search when they're embedded in a blog. I would think that could often have to do with the relevance of the blog, which can have many inbound links and relevant text to boost SEO.

We have been having lively discussions with Google about SEO for image search because, as John says, we could do more but we don't want to be accused of cloaking.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    Someone mentioned that images do well showing up in image search when they're embedded in a blog. I would think that could often have to do with the relevance of the blog, which can have many inbound links and relevant text to boost SEO.
    I had mentioned that anytime searching for images the ones on my blog pop
    up rather quickly but I can never find any from my site. Links in siggy.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    Okay, the decision is we're going to let Google index images with right click protection. Working on the change now and we'll let you know when it's live.

The reasoning is the customers we've spoken to still want the right-click warning but also want Google to index their images even when they understand that it's another back door to foiling RCP, just like screen captures are.

We're also working on a number of other changes to indexing single images for Google image search that I wish I could talk about but can't at this time. But hopefully in the weeks and months ahead you'll see improvements wrt Google image search.

One thing that I can talk about is image URLs will soon end in your-image-name.jpg, which Google likes better than the current scheme.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    Okay, the decision is we're going to let Google index images with right click protection. Working on the change now and we'll let you know when it's live.

The reasoning is the customers we've spoken to still want the right-click warning but also want Google to index their images even when they understand that it's another back door to foiling RCP, just like screen captures are.
    Thank you!

--- Denise
  • Options
    Bob_ABob_A Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2011

We're also working on a number of other changes to indexing single images for Google image search that I wish I could talk about but can't at this time. But hopefully in the weeks and months ahead you'll see improvements wrt Google image search.

One thing that I can talk about is image URLs will soon end in your-image-name.jpg, which Google likes better than the current scheme.

Is there a reason that when using RCP you can't limit Google Images to only index the gallery thumbnails instead of the larger images? Just thinking that maybe this would then still provide a path to the gallery containing the larger image without creating another way to foil RCP. I agree that if someone really wants to steal an image RCP isn't going to help much, but why make it easy for the more "technically challenged" to do it.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Bob_A wrote: »
    Is there a reason that when using RCP you can't limit Google Images to only index the gallery thumbnails instead of the larger images? Just thinking that maybe this would then still provide a path to the gallery containing the larger image without creating another way to foil RCP. I agree that if someone really wants to steal an image RCP isn't going to help much, but why make it easy for the more "technically challenged" to do it.
    Google tells us the bigger image we feed them, the more likely they are to index it. Thumbnails are pretty much guaranteed to be ignored. It's about the quality of experience they can provide their customers.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Google tells us the bigger image we feed them, the more likely they are to index it. Thumbnails are pretty much guaranteed to be ignored. It's about the quality of experience they can provide their customers.
    What size is feed Google? With stretchy and many monitor sizes it could be
    any size. I would think most would want only a med to XL size feed
    so the resolution wouldn't allow hi-rez prints only web viewable sizes.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    They want 800x600, but we feed them smaller than that now. That's a big issue because smaller means less relevance.