Options

SOLD: Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-S

2»

Comments

• Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I absolutely want to sell this lens and I respond faithfully to every honest request. However, the question of how best to respond to lowballers (and offering hundreds less than the item's value puts you squarely in this category) has been discussed repeatedly and I believe I'm with the majority here who simply choose not to respond. Since you asked again though, I will try to explain why I didn't get back to you.

1. Some folks put a $100 bid on every 70-200VRII lens that shows up on the big auction site. Do they really need the 'You've been outbid' email to tell them that they aren't going to win the item? Of course not. They know it's not an honest offer, they are just looking for a miracle, hoping that someday one will slip through unnoticed.

2.The most common reason given for responding to lowballers is that sellers want a chance to justify their selling price. I could, for example, mention that the average selling price of the last couple dozen similar lenses is well above what I'm asking and that mine is in a condition equal to the best of them. I could tell you that KEH, an outfit that sells lots of used lenses, at very honest prices, will sell you a bargain condition 80-200 AF-S without the accessories mine comes with, for $999. Mine is in much better condition for $75 less. I could ask if you've done any research into the value of this item. But in my opinion it's a waste of time because you have no intention of paying an honest price. You most likely know what it's worth and again, you're just looking for a miracle.

3. So you want a counteroffer, eh? Why? There's obviously no middle ground here on which to meet. Bargaining does not mean one person starts at the current value of an item, the other starts at zero, and they meet at 50%. If I were to tell you that yes, it's worth more than I'm asking but I do wish to sell it and if you can pay me in a way that doesn't cost me any fees I may knock $50 off the asking price are you really going to say "Now you're talking, how 'bout taking $60 off?". No, you're going to ask me if I'll take your lowball offer plus ten bucks.

4.Most everything sold by private parties is open to some bargaining, and doesn't have a firm sale price like storebought items. It may be the Scandanavian in me talking, but my philosophy is that there's a price that's fair to both buyer and seller and offering significantly less is disrespectful to the seller and the item. The usual win win scenario here is that we take extraordinary care of the things we own, and sell them to someone else at a middle of the road price. They get above average quality, and we, in return, get the satisfaction of knowing that the seller appreciates the item and will take care of it as well as we did. There's value in knowing that it goes to a good home.

And the converse is true as well. If I sold you the lens for the price you offered I would be disgusted with myself for giving it to a person who valued it so little, long after the money I got for it is spent.

I have a counteroffer for you after all. This should determine whether you are willing to walk the walk or if you're just talking. If you honestly think this is how people with class and character do business you should be willing to jump on this. Let's figure out what your car is currently selling for. Actual prices paid recently for similar condition, miles, etc. Then we'll deduct 10% like I did, even though my item is almost perfect. Then I will give you 60% of that, a similar deal to what you offer. If you sell me your car for roughly 50% of what other people are paying for it today then I will consider selling you my lens. If not, then you really have to ask yourself why in the world you expected me to respond to your offer.
    Jay
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Well spoken, but unnecessary. He didn't deserve such a detailed explanation, but it was good of you to take the time to post. This is why some forums require a minimum amount of posts and membership term before being able to bid or sell.
  • Options
    WPDPBWPDPB Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2011
    senorjax wrote: »
    I absolutely want to sell this lens and I respond faithfully to every honest request. However, the question of how best to respond to lowballers (and offering hundreds less than the item's value puts you squarely in this category) has been discussed repeatedly and I believe I'm with the majority here who simply choose not to respond. Since you asked again though, I will try to explain why I didn't get back to you.

1. Some folks put a $100 bid on every 70-200VRII lens that shows up on the big auction site. Do they really need the 'You've been outbid' email to tell them that they aren't going to win the item? Of course not. They know it's not an honest offer, they are just looking for a miracle, hoping that someday one will slip through unnoticed.

2.The most common reason given for responding to lowballers is that sellers want a chance to justify their selling price. I could, for example, mention that the average selling price of the last couple dozen similar lenses is well above what I'm asking and that mine is in a condition equal to the best of them. I could tell you that KEH, an outfit that sells lots of used lenses, at very honest prices, will sell you a bargain condition 80-200 AF-S without the accessories mine comes with, for $999. Mine is in much better condition for $75 less. I could ask if you've done any research into the value of this item. But in my opinion it's a waste of time because you have no intention of paying an honest price. You most likely know what it's worth and again, you're just looking for a miracle.

3. So you want a counteroffer, eh? Why? There's obviously no middle ground here on which to meet. Bargaining does not mean one person starts at the current value of an item, the other starts at zero, and they meet at 50%. If I were to tell you that yes, it's worth more than I'm asking but I do wish to sell it and if you can pay me in a way that doesn't cost me any fees I may knock $50 off the asking price are you really going to say "Now you're talking, how 'bout taking $60 off?". No, you're going to ask me if I'll take your lowball offer plus ten bucks.

4.Most everything sold by private parties is open to some bargaining, and doesn't have a firm sale price like storebought items. It may be the Scandanavian in me talking, but my philosophy is that there's a price that's fair to both buyer and seller and offering significantly less is disrespectful to the seller and the item. The usual win win scenario here is that we take extraordinary care of the things we own, and sell them to someone else at a middle of the road price. They get above average quality, and we, in return, get the satisfaction of knowing that the seller appreciates the item and will take care of it as well as we did. There's value in knowing that it goes to a good home.

And the converse is true as well. If I sold you the lens for the price you offered I would be disgusted with myself for giving it to a person who valued it so little, long after the money I got for it is spent.

I have a counteroffer for you after all. This should determine whether you are willing to walk the walk or if you're just talking. If you honestly think this is how people with class and character do business you should be willing to jump on this. Let's figure out what your car is currently selling for. Actual prices paid recently for similar condition, miles, etc. Then we'll deduct 10% like I did, even though my item is almost perfect. Then I will give you 60% of that, a similar deal to what you offer. If you sell me your car for roughly 50% of what other people are paying for it today then I will consider selling you my lens. If not, then you really have to ask yourself why in the world you expected me to respond to your offer.

Where would you like to meet? I'll sell you the car for %50 of book right now. My last phone call was talking with a dealer about how much I can get in trade and your offer beats his by a good margin. So yes, I would jump all over your offer.

I don't know why you jumped all over me.. I didn't offer you $100, the figure you used above. Did I offer you a lower amount? Yes, of course I did. I don't remember whether your desire to sell it was based on need or just cleaning out your closet, but some of the best deals are found by being in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money.

It's a lens... will I take care of it? That's for me to decide once I take ownership. It's not a dog or other living thing, it's a piece of hardware. If I value the money I paid, obviously I'll take care of it, if I don't then it'll end up in the garbage or on E-Bay at a much lower price due to my negligence.

I made a counter to your selling price, was it lower than you expected? Yes. Was it so rediculously low that it should be ignored? I guess so, in your opinion. Was it made in good faith by me expecting a counter by you? Definitely, but it sounds like if you get any less than your asking price you'll be disgusted with yourself. I'm truly sorry if I offended you with my offer.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    Still for sale. I'm hoping to make a trip up to the northwest in a week or so. Not sure if I'm going to be able to pull it off but if anyone up that way is interested I could bring it with me and meet up somewhere.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    I was just informed of this today, and I haven't double checked the validity of the info., that this is the only version of the 80-200 that will accept a teleconverter and still autofocus. One more plus, if you're adding up reasons to own this and are getting close.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    Sold. Seriously. 3,000 views later we finally used this thread for it's intended purpose.
    Jay