Options

What is a Normal KBPS Speed?

Comments

• Options
    Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    What I don't get is, why some suggest you "lower" the quality/size of your file. The point of this site being a viable backup solution, etc.. is that you have your originals or as "near" to the original with natural degradation as you can get. I understand from the speed POV if you have to get them up and/or you have another back up solution. But if this "is" you're natural place to save... then? Hmmm.. (shrugs) Some of us put up WAY to many photos to go in and edit 4000 photos for a 24 hour deadline so.. it's not as easy! =)
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Damon016 wrote: »
    What I don't get is, why some suggest you "lower" the quality/size of your file. The point of this site being a viable backup solution, etc.. is that you have your originals or as "near" to the original with natural degradation as you can get. I understand from the speed POV if you have to get them up and/or you have another back up solution. But if this "is" you're natural place to save... then? Hmmm.. (shrugs) Some of us put up WAY to many photos to go in and edit 4000 photos for a 24 hour deadline so.. it's not as easy! =)

Thank you. I am confused about this as well. I don't really want to handle my files more than once. I also found all of those instructions confusing.

Sean and I have a phone conversation planned, imminently, maybe that will help.

I am also looking in to a faster server.

I'm even going to sign off without even mentioning that I was uploading 5D and G12 files previous to this past week with no problems. Aren't you proud of me?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Not really, I am one to voice my frustration. You pay top dollar (as this is one of the most expensive places out there) for what they take up front and on the back end. They should be all over supporting and getting things to work. I say this on a broad level not just aimed at your situation as yours seems two-part. Site/Bandwidth expected/not getting. There are so many common sense things that aren't done, and so many excuses given. I can count on my hands, toes, hair on my head the (we expect to do this or do that) vs. we ARE doing this to make this right or we ARE resolving this right now. I am in the IT field as a consultant. DEVS can resolve things with in hours if not a day or so if it's needed. Don't let them fool you in believing months upon months are needed to resolve. This is what frustrates me - along with simple crap that needs to be resolved (ie. deleting multiple galleries!) ne_nau.gif Glad you can be nicer about it! lolthumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Not really, I am one to voice my frustration. You pay top dollar (as this is one of the most expensive places out there) for what they take up front and on the back end. They should be all over supporting and getting things to work. I say this on a broad level not just aimed at your situation as yours seems two-part. Site/Bandwidth expected/not getting. There are so many common sense things that aren't done, and so many excuses given. I can count on my hands, toes, hair on my head the (we expect to do this or do that) vs. we ARE doing this to make this right or we ARE resolving this right now. I am in the IT field as a consultant. DEVS can resolve things with in hours if not a day or so if it's needed. Don't let them fool you in believing months upon months are needed to resolve. This is what frustrates me - along with simple crap that needs to be resolved (ie. deleting multiple galleries!) ne_nau.gif Glad you can be nicer about it! lolthumb.gif

Hi Damon - we have shown you the speeds we're logging on your uploads - and we don't control or throttle those speeds.

We have file size recommendations because many pros, say, event shooters, might upload 5000 photos, but sell only 100. They will quickly process the 5000 photos, export them at a compressed size (but they still look great), and have the fastest possible uploading. Then, upon sale, they retouch as needed and use our replace tool to replace the photo and send the order off to the lab. Workflow.

We have been trying to help you - Sean will speak to you - but the bottom line is, we can accept the files as fast as you can send them. I wish I could control the speed of your upload bandwidth - believe me!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Glad you can be nicer about it! lolthumb.gif

I try. It helps that, today at least, I don't have anyone's gun to my head. I don't do well with deadlines when things aren't working. Who does?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    My frustrations are wide, and if you read a previous post I made about bandwidth (settings in SE may have resolved some of the speed issues on this end). This - thanks to Nikolai... It's still not as fast as FTP to Fotki by a long shot, but it does seem "in my head at least" to be quicker than what I was getting with default settings on SE.

Like I said, I have written you about a few issues which you ignored even as the post was just "right above..." you would respond to one thing and ignore the others... It's no biggie, I am used to it by now.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    My frustrations are wide, and if you read a previous post I made about bandwidth (settings in SE may have resolved some of the speed issues on this end). This - thanks to Nikolai... It's still not as fast as FTP to Fotki by a long shot, but it does seem "in my head at least" to be quicker than what I was getting with default settings on SE.

Like I said, I have written you about a few issues which you ignored even as the post was just "right above..." you would respond to one thing and ignore the others... It's no biggie, I am used to it by now.
    It's hard to keep up with you, you post fast :) What have I missed? I didn't get to 50,000+ posts here by ignoring customers, I promise, Damon.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    It's hard to keep up with you, you post fast :) What have I missed? I didn't get to 50,000+ posts here by ignoring customers, I promise, Damon.

You always answer! You just miss key things... and I post fast because im passionate about resolution! :)

If you saw the 3 page letter I wrote to Fotki to get stuff done, with photos, examples, etc you would die! However most of the things I asked for got resolved within a week or so! Watermarking option they never had before was because of me along with several other things... This is why I still stay with them, though had to find an alternate place that did coupons!

Where can I write you with my ideas or what not...
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    You always answer! You just miss key things... and I post fast because im passionate about resolution! :)

If you saw the 3 page letter I wrote to Fotki to get stuff done, with photos, examples, etc you would die! However most of the things I asked for got resolved within a week or so! Watermarking option they never had before was because of me along with several other things... This is why I still stay with them, though had to find an alternate place that did coupons!

Where can I write you with my ideas or what not...

Always available - write our Support Heroes ATTN: Andy and you can also post feature requests on http://feedback.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Just got off the phone with Sean and I now have a better understanding of baseball...something about Smug Mug being the catcher's mitt and I throw the ball....or wait, maybe it was the other way around...

Anyway, Comcast is coming tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Yes you're bandwidth being sent out (pitch) their ability to receive (catcher) :)
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Not sending to support heroes just to ignore or never get to you. Nevermind
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Not sending to support heroes just to ignore or never get to you. Nevermind

Uh, Damon - I get dozens of ATTN: Andy emails all the time - dunno why you won't email me, but you asked how and I told you how to reach me :)
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Laughing.gif because I have written and had no response :) I write Dmitri Don all the time at Fotki... no worries.. I don't need others dwelling in my ideas.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Yes you're bandwidth being sent out (pitch) their ability to receive (catcher) :)

I guess I struck out with my attempt to lighten things up.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Frustratingly I am using Starexplorer. It has more bugs! I fire it up 5 times, it works one time out of the 5. No logs to show files that weren't uploaded, so I actually have NO CLUE what is missing out of the folders.ne_nau.gif

FTP is Fastest
    Smugloader never used (wouldn't work any how) doesn't do mass creation of directories
    Star is the only alternative, however frustrating for reasons mentioned above.

Ironically if there was an FTP option that created directories and moved files that WEREN'T SUCCESSFULLY UPLOADED into a sep folder like FTP Does so you can one click (restart) it would be perfect!

GRRRRRRRR! I can't be the only one uploading 4500 files at a time, and having these issues or complaints
    You aren't. :cry I guess I'm not the only that SE didn't work for. :cry

Well, here's your options, which may or may not work depending on your computing power. Use multiple Simple uploader sessions to upload to all albums in parallel. Or if that chokes your system and it crashes, you'll have to do it in series, one album at a time. The good thing is that you should see 4Mb speeds.

I'd also invite you to create the albums in SM and then try smugftp.com.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    With the bandwidth you have, you really won't need to downsize unless you can't upload them fast enough. At 4Mb, you can do almost 2GB/hr so in 24hrs, you can transfer about 48GB or 4800 10MB files. You should be okay with originals if you can get a workflow down.

I agree that FTP would solve this issue instantly, but it's not available, so we'll have to come up with a workaround.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Laughing.gif because I have written and had no response :) I write Dmitri Don all the time at Fotki... no worries.. I don't need others dwelling in my ideas.

I've replied to you and so have our heroes. We answer every email we get on the help desk, 365 days a year, we never close.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Anyway, Comcast is coming tomorrow.
    What are their speeds?
  • Options
    Rogue 1Rogue 1 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Hey Sean, I think you were calling my 386 number. I am out of town so where I am it doesn't work. I have another as well if you want to PM Me...

Thanks again

Hi Damon -

I've pm'd you, and re-opend your last help ticket (to initiate email exchange) - and I'm standing by for that tel# -

We REALLY do want to help -

Sean
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    What are their speeds?

They are telling me 2mgs upload, 15mgs download. Verizon is giving me .7mgs upload at the moment. 2mgs is 3x faster than what I've got now. The Comcast lady told me that Comcast is considered 50x faster than Verizon. I don't know how that works...must be "new math."

Anyway,

I am presently on my way x-street to my neighbor's to run a speed test on his Comcast line.

I'll let you know shortly.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    2Mb will be much much better than the 768k, and probably more stable. With 2Mb, you can transfer about 1GB/hr. So you can easily do 1000 10MB files in 10hrs. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    They are telling me 2mgs upload, 15mgs download. Verizon is giving me .7mgs upload at the moment. 2mgs is 3x faster than what I've got now. The Comcast lady told me that Comcast is considered 50x faster than Verizon. I don't know how that works...must be "new math."

Anyway,

I am presently on my way x-street to my neighbor's to run a speed test on his Comcast line.

I'll let you know shortly.

png 25 ms
    upload 3.28mbps
    download 4.46mbps

fwiw, those are the numbers for Comcast in the Northeast, 4:45 pm on a Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    png 25 ms
    upload 3.28mbps
    download 4.46mbps

fwiw, those are the numbers for Comcast in the Northeast, 4:45 pm on a Wednesday.

Is that speedtest to SmugMug's server? http://smugmug.speedtest.net

BTW, wave.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Another thing I want to throw out there - I was reminded while talking to Sean - a fine lad, btw - that there are at this moment 1,000s of Smug Muggers uploading 1,000s of photos at lightning speeds, and four people, counting me, complaining about up-load speeds. Just a little perspective.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Is that speedtest to SmugMug's server? http://smugmug.speedtest.net

BTW, wave.gif

oops, no. it was just a test of my neighbor's Comcast speed.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    And yes, it was run off of speedtest.com.

How do you run a test of SM servers?

edit - oh, got it. run it from the above link.

edit2 - no, I don't got it. afaik, I'm simply testing my own internet connection.
  • Options
    Rogue 1Rogue 1 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    png 25 ms
    upload 3.28mbps
    download 4.46mbps

Sara was getting the .76 results on the closest server in her area - so whether the above is local or cross continent on our San Jose server, 3.28 is a HUGE bump - Hyooooge!

The diff between Comcast and Verizon should be a solid fix [/me knocks wood]

imho
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    edit2 - no, I don't got it. afaik, I'm simply testing my own internet connection.

Sara, run the test from http://smugmug.speedtest.net and choose our server in California.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    You aren't. :cry I guess I'm not the only that SE didn't work for. :cry

Well, here's your options, which may or may not work depending on your computing power. Use multiple Simple uploader sessions to upload to all albums in parallel. Or if that chokes your system and it crashes, you'll have to do it in series, one album at a time. The good thing is that you should see 4Mb speeds.

I'd also invite you to create the albums in SM and then try smugftp.com.

I have the power but im not going to individually create folders/albums/or drag over to 100 different folders. That is asinine!

I have speed, it's just not using it properly here... SE is the only thing that makes sense. It's like a Ferrari (pretty from the outside) just not dependable. (IE. crashing, not getting things up correctly, logs not working right) blah blah blah!