Options

Mega#12 (Withered, Weathered or Worn)... thoughts pls?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    I'm really trying to do different things with taking the photos. I used my black winter coat as a background because it's black and it has a tiny bit of texture to it.. but not much. The light seemed to like it as the background. :D It didn't reflect or cast bad shadows that I could tell...

clap.gif You got it... use what you have! Great idea with the coat!
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Popping into the discussion late...

In the first set, I like the fence best, however, there's a lot of similarities in gray tones, so it seems flat. More contrast could help, but there's really no compelling subject in any of the first postings.

I do like your sense of adventure in processing that got some interesting effects in the second set (withered leaves). But again, there's not really a central subject. My eye never settles. I enjoy the processing and the "pop" you refer to, but in the end, there's not much "there", there.

The third set (With Death Comes New Life) is better in that it has both textured, weathered, worn coming through AND there's a subject that adds interest and meaning to the overall image. I'd agree that the second crop is better (and yes, the new growth is placed appropriately for the rule of thirds). BUT... I think a bit tighter crop, retaining the relative placement of the subject might be better... not sure, but it'd be worth a try. Not too much tighter, though.

For me the Bonsai is the best of the bunch from a compositional perspective (and I think I prefer #1 to the less saturated version, although, there may be mid-point that would work, too). This image has a variety of different textures AND a central subject. It holds my attention with small details AND I can land on a subject.

In the end... it's gotta be your call. Your selection for submission is really another part of your journey. Take the feedback then select the one you like the best.

So overall, this string of images is a great example of why this forum is so cool. It's really a place to learn and improve and get honest, helpful feedback. Kudos to you for taking advantage and taking risks to try new things.

Thanks Bill! You've also given me alot of helpful feedback as to why each image is or isn't compelling. It helps me to know what to look for. I haven't been happy with the previous photos I took, although I liked the ones with the branches and effects on them. I'm just partial to those kinds of images, I guess.

I really like taking photos of my bonsai's and probably took 40+ photos before I found one single image I was satisfied with to even process! Is that normal to have to take so many shots before you find a decent one?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    Is that normal to have to take so many shots before you find a decent one?

Yes!! at least that many
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Love the last two shots of the bonsai. Hard for me to choose between the two. I guess I would suggest going with the first bonsai or trying for something in the middle as Bill mentioned.

There are so many times that I don't have a tripod with me, and look for other ways to steady my shot. I have used my camera bag to good advantage to help position the camera at an angle on a stone wall, etc. So glad this worked for you!

I think I'm going to not look at the bonsai image for a couple of hours, then come back to it and see if anything "speaks" to me! Laughing.gif I'm partial to the #1 bonsai, too... I really have no idea of a compelling title, tho. Any ideas?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    clap.gif You got it... use what you have! Great idea with the coat!

Alright! hahahaaha I'm finally figuring a few things out... now all I have to do is do it more consistently! Laughing.gif
    Yes!! at least that many

ok ... maybe I'm more normal than I thought. mwink.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    ok .. I've done a 3rd edit on my bonsai .. in between the 1 and 2.. I'll post all three so you won't have to scroll to compare.

1. Bonsai - full color
    P1050989bonsai1-huephoto2.jpg

2. Bonsai - less saturated
    P1050989bonsai2lowsatur.jpg

3. Bonsai -added blue filter - in between saturation
    P1050989bonsai1-phfiltrblu.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    I like Bonzai #1. The golden brown coming out of the needles draws me in more.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    #1 for me.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    I like Bonzai #1. The golden brown coming out of the needles draws me in more.
    #1 for me.

I think I agree! Bonsai #1 is my favorite, too. I'm still trying to think of a compelling title... :)

How about: "Frozen in Time" ??
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)