Options

LR slowing to a crawl...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 10, 2011 in Finishing School
... especially when exporting. It used to be quite zippy at 50/240ppi, but now it's taking forever if it's more than a single image or two (and the machine usually crashes before I'm done)

I have the most recent version of LR (3.4).

I recently doubled my RAM to 4g (which has helped immensely, particularly with using the brush tool).

I have a fairly big catalog - if I clean that up, will it help it run a bit faster? How exactly DO I clean it up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 25, 2011
    It's unlikely that the catalog size is the culprit. Are you seeing performance issues with other programs? Do you have other programs running when you see the slowdown? It sounds to me like you might have some hardware issue or (less likely) a malware infection. I would first check to see that you haven't run out of disk space. Then check the system log for error reports--be especially on the lookout for disk errors. If your machine came with a hardware diagnostics program, run the complete set. What machine/OS are you using?
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

Check what else is running. And upgrade to the just released 3.4.1.

:D

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    Dell Studio 15 running Vista. Upraded from 2g to 4g of RAM for noticeably better performance overall. Desperately want a new and more powerful laptop, but for the moment this was the only upgrade in my budget.

Other programs running fine (or show no problems other than the ones they've always had!)

Upgraded to 3.4.1.

I use Avast virus protection, and ran spybot just a few days ago in case it was malware of some kind - nothing.

It's only Lightroom 's export function which seems affected (mods, by all means feel free to change my header to reflect that so my question is clearer) - - everything else in the program is running WAY faster and better than it was before adding the extra memory (which is why I'm kind of baffled at why exporting is taking sooooo long now).

My machine's fan seems to be a bit underpowered, so to help prevent overheating I've added a fan coolpad under it which has pretty much dealt with that problem UNTIL we get to the slow exporting, which seems to make the machine heat up more than anything else and then.... crash.

Disk space is always at a premium and I'm forever clearing out Picasa temporary files and other unnecessary mirror directories, but for this batch I had enough turnaround that it should have been running faster.

Where would I find the system log mentioned above? Will check it if you let me know where to look for it :D
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Sounds like a hard drive slowdown. If you duplicate a large file in (what we call on the Mac the finder, I assume on windows Explorer), is it slow too?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    Sounds like a hard drive slowdown. If you duplicate a large file in (what we call on the Mac the finder, I assume on windows Explorer), is it slow too?

No slower than it's been in the past, ie unlike LR no noticeable change in the last couple of weeks. It's only in LR this seems to be a problem at the moment headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Also, it seems to be in large batches where this is a problem. For instance, I just exported 3 full-size (100 quality), 300ppi images and they (to my delighted surprise) took less than a minute - ie faster than normal (first batch of full-size files I've exported since the RAM upgrade).

Last night, tried to export ~80 med-quality (50) 240 ppi images, and it took close to an hour. Well, that's the total time the machine spent actually doing anything - if you include the 3 overheating shutdowns, re-boots and do-overs, it was closer to 3hrs by the time I'd finally achieved the task. :bash
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    No slower than it's been in the past, ie unlike LR no noticeable change in the last couple of weeks. It's only in LR this seems to be a problem at the moment headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Also, it seems to be in large batches where this is a problem. For instance, I just exported 3 full-size (100 quality), 300ppi images and they (to my delighted surprise) took less than a minute - ie faster than normal (first batch of full-size files I've exported since the RAM upgrade).

Last night, tried to export ~80 med-quality (50) 240 ppi images, and it took close to an hour. Well, that's the total time the machine spent actually doing anything - if you include the 3 overheating shutdowns, re-boots and do-overs, it was closer to 3hrs by the time I'd finally achieved the task. :bash
    Are you exporting to the internal drive? or an external drive? Have you tried exporting to a different (external) drive or USB stick? does that make a difference?
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    try to set virtual RAM manually , instead of letting windows do it for you

recommended is one and a half of installed RAM
    maximum [ second box ] about two times that value

you can expiriment w these settings
    higher value = more memory , but slower
    lower value = faster , but you might get "out of memory " errors [ try / experiment ]

me , i use no virtual RAM at all

reason ;
    your disk ( where virtual RAM is ) , is much slower then the physical RAM cards

right-click computer
    advanced system settings
    in advance tap => in performance => settings
    in Virtual memory => change
    uncheck Automatically
    select your fastest disk
    custom size
    first field 6000 MB
    second 10000 or 12000
    click SET then OK
    apply

reboot
    hope it helps
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011

My machine's fan seems to be a bit underpowered, so to help prevent overheating I've added a fan coolpad under it which has pretty much dealt with that problem UNTIL we get to the slow exporting, which seems to make the machine heat up more than anything else and then.... crash.
    I recommend installing PCWizard, a free utility that will show you--among many, many other things--the temperature of your CPU, GPU and hard drive. I installed it when I suspected overheating of an NVIDIA GPU in my laptop. Not too sure whether this would explain why it started all of a sudden, though heat damage can be cumulative. If it's the GPU, I would expect you would see problems when watching movies.
    Disk space is always at a premium and I'm forever clearing out Picasa temporary files and other unnecessary mirror directories, but for this batch I had enough turnaround that it should have been running faster.
    If you are always running at close to maximum disk capacity, your disk probably needs to be defragmented. Right click on the drive icon, select properties and on the tools tab, select defragment. It should tell you if defragmenting is unnecessary.
    Where would I find the system log mentioned above? Will check it if you let me know where to look for it :D

I'm not sure where to find it in 7, but in XP Pro it's Start->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer->System.

It's not easy to crash Windows 7 unless there's a hardware glitch, so I will repeat my recommendation to run full hardware diagnostics. My last Dell came with a set, so I suspect yours did too.

One last thing: did these problems start as soon as you added memory? Maybe your new memory module is flaky. Just as a test, you could remove it and see whether you get the same problem exporting without it.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    I would take a close look at your disk either clean it up and defrag or try an external drive. The only issues I have exporting full size (usually 100-180 pics) is when I upload them (network issues)sometimes it slow.
    I have my catalogs on a segate free agent portable drive and my export to file just zips by.

Also the quickest way to find you event logs is to right click on your My Computer Icon and pick manage it work for any version of windows.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    Vista, not Win7 :D

No, they didn't start with the new memory - one of the reasons I got the new memory was to speed up handling the 7d's huge raw files. It's certainly done that - again, LR is running WAY better overall... except for exporting larger batches.

I have an automatically scheduled defrag; I run a utility which sets that up (and also sweeps up temp detritis, although I do question how effective that is).

About to head out shortly so can't run all these other diagnostics now, but will do tomorrow when I'm back in front of the machine,and will report back any pertinent findings. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    I did look at the logs, and they make absolutely NO sense to me - I have no idea what I'm looking for!

In the meantime, some googling reveals that this laptop can be quite prone to overheating (at which point it shuts down), and I'm certainly aware of it getting hot in a way it hasn't before. I'm beginning to wonder if the thermal pad/paste is old and no longer doing it's job (computer is nearly 3 years old)? I still have a warrantee, so I'm also wondering if I DIY some thermal paste around the heatsink myself... will that invalidate the warrantee? Otherwise I may have to ship it off to Dell and get them to replace the heatsink (or whatever needs doing to fix this). The trouble is, I use this machine ALL THE TIME - and our desktop simply can't handle the 7d's files *at all* - so not sure what to do at this point. ne_nau.gif

In the meantime, I'll get some canned air and seriously clean out the fan. I can hear it coming on so I know it's working, and I did use my rocket blower on it when I opened up the case to put in the RAM, but sounds like it may be time for the heavier artillery....
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    I did look at the logs, and they make absolutely NO sense to me - I have no idea what I'm looking for!

In the meantime, some googling reveals that this laptop can be quite prone to overheating (at which point it shuts down), and I'm certainly aware of it getting hot in a way it hasn't before. I'm beginning to wonder if the thermal pad/paste is old and no longer doing it's job (computer is nearly 3 years old)? I still have a warrantee, so I'm also wondering if I DIY some thermal paste around the heatsink myself... will that invalidate the warrantee? Otherwise I may have to ship it off to Dell and get them to replace the heatsink (or whatever needs doing to fix this). The trouble is, I use this machine ALL THE TIME - and our desktop simply can't handle the 7d's files *at all* - so not sure what to do at this point. ne_nau.gif

In the meantime, I'll get some canned air and seriously clean out the fan. I can hear it coming on so I know it's working, and I did use my rocket blower on it when I opened up the case to put in the RAM, but sounds like it may be time for the heavier artillery....
    In your log look for errors in your application and system logs around the times you have the problem. I also have a Dell and it also runs hot, I do like you and use a cooling pad.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    there exist an app called "[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]WhoCrashed"

might worth a try

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    As mentioned above, you should look for errors reported (they have a red symbol) around the time of the slowdowns and especially just prior to the crashes. Since the machine is still under warranty, I would call Dell and arrange to have them service it. Running too hot can totally destroy the motherboard.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Before dealing with thermal paste, warranty calls, etc. - did you at least try to see if the catalog size is the problem? I know it's unlikely, but it's so easy to check, why not?

Just create a new catalog and dump your next shoot into it. Work with it there and see if there's any improvement. If not, you've eliminated one possibility.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    With regards to laptop overheating ... there are a few things I can recommend:
    1. make sure it is sitting on a solid surface (not a pillow or your lap), the fan pulls air in from under the laptop and blows it out the side
    2. make sure the fan intake and exits are clear of dust (it can accumulate quickly, so clear it often)
    3. if it still heats up (feels arm to the touch), try adding larger felt feet under the laptop to give it more clearance from the table
    4. do not put things over the keyboard as the keyboard is part of the system thermal design to dissipate heat

Unfortunately, the damn NVIDIA video cards for laptops still tend to overheat; which IMHO is a flawed design :(
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    jchin wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the damn NVIDIA video cards for laptops still tend to overheat; which IMHO is a flawed design :(

Yeah, one of those did in my ThinkPad, but fortunately it was under warranty and Lenovo replaced the motherboard without any problem. However, according to the specs, the Dell Studio 15 uses an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570, so we can't blame Nvidia this time.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I used to have a portable that would overheat and shutdown, usually when I was doing some kind of demo in front of group of course.

What I found was that the air inlets have screens to help keep dust from accumulating on the inside. The screens eventually get a bit clogged with dust and some dust does get inside anyhow and some of that eventually clogs up the air outlets.

A simple thing you can try is to find the air inlets and hold a vacuum cleaner hose up to each one and let suck out as much of the dust from the screen as it can. Don't do this on the air outlets, it will block things up worse. There are some attachment kits for using vacuum hoses on computers and they will make it easier to do, but are not necessary.

You can tell an inlet from an outlet by wetting your finger and hold in the vent, but don't cover it completely. If the side of your finger next to the vent gets cool then that an outlet. If the side away from the vent gets cool you have an inlet.

The second thing you can do is to disassemble the case so you can really get the dust out, though on some machines even disassebling the case won't give you the access you need.

This is common enough problem that a lot of computer repair places will do the disassembly and cleaning for you.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    Very quick thank you to alll - I'm up against a deadline so am just limping along with it at the moment (so frustrating!), but as soon as these shots are "off the desk" I'm going to look into ALL of these things.

I have installed Core Temp and have thoroughly cleaned out the fan and vents with canned air (as well as have it sitting on a 1-fan coolpad) - it's now only overheating/crashing out when it's seriously taxed, as opposed to every 20 minutes the way it was last week :bash. The wrist-rest is still getting hot though....

Anyway, more on this as I figure it out. My guess is that it's going to need a trip to the Dell Hospital, but first... these shots need to get edited and delivered!!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I don't see that anyone has yet suggested that you optimize the catalog. That link has other ideas for speeding up LR. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    clap.gif AWESOME link, David!

Btw, in LR3 for windows the Optimize command is NOT where that article says it is (it's from 2009, so probably was a LR2 setup): it's now its own, top-level item under the "file" menu. Just FYI for anybody else reading this!

It's currently doing it's thing - I'll let you know if it helps. It would make absolute sense if this is the problem, since I've added and deleted many directories since the last optimization was automatically performed on 4/27. Fingers crossed this helps!
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Have you tried my suggestion of starting a new catalog yet? That sure seems like any easy way of figuring out if it's hardware or software.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    One of the things that I have been finding is that Vista has worse memory leaks than some other OS. I have found that lots of small batches and then a restart helps with some things. Unfortunately this is not directly LR related but it did help quite a bit. I call them my forced moments of Zen.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Well, I'll say this: after optimizing the Catalog, I had ~20g more hdd space than I did before. Hmmm....

I have, actually, been noticing the "amazing vanishing gigabytes" effect on this machine for a while now. I've scanned it with Avast, Spybot and House Call and it's come up 100% clean in all of them so I'm guessing it's something other than a virus. I've been trying to figure out for ages now where all this space was going - Picasa backup catalogs are pretty big (but I know where to find those and clean them out every so often). I wonder if somehow LR has been caching too, and that's been part of it?

It's - of course - running better and cooler with more HDD room to run. It's still pretty lousy with large batch exporting, but (as BB mentions) if I break it into smaller batches, it's manageable.

Weird. And clearly time to start saving pennies in earnest for a new machine. It did just fine with xsi smaller files, but the 7d raw files are SO huge that they really tax it. It's a good litttle machine when I'm not under the gun trying to deliver a shoot under time pressure, but when I am? The limitations are seriously a pain. Kind of like building a house with a hammerhead that keeps flying off its handle - you spend more time digging in the bushes for the tools then pounding nails!!!

PS Core Temp is a good little utility - interesting to watch the temp fluctuate in response to the tasks the computer is asked to do...
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    you know what i think ?

your pc is a mess ;
    lots of useless applications
    lots antivirus-scanners

what i would do ;
    a complete fresh install
    [ after backing-up files ]

but you probably dont want or dare that

alternative ; [ after backing-up files ]
    install CCleaner [ freeware ]
    use that to
    - un-install all old unused app's , keep only the ones you need
    - clean register

then
    use only one antivirus and one firewall
    remove the others

then
    manually search C:drive for leftovers of un-installed apps

then
    run CCleaner again
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    I've been considering doing a format and fresh install for a while - it's a reasonable suggestion. I have backups of everything and can do it, but there's enough on the hdd that it will be a real pain to get everything back to normal. If I can't get it behaving itself any other way, that is of course the "last resort" option thumb.gif

Checked out ccleaner - it didn't find anything other than expected temp directories/cookies/caches etc, but it's a good little utility - thanks!

My only antivirus program is Avast - I run Spybot occasionally, and Housecall if they don't catch anything but I'm still wondering if there could be a lurking problem. Do you not like those programs for some reason? I've heard nothing but good things about Avast and HC (although I GREATLY preferred Avast before they did the big upgrade on it a few months back)
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Diva,

When you see hoof-prints, don't look for a zebra. Even Vista is hard to crash unless there's a hardware problem. Find someone who is geeky enough to wade through the system log and dump files and interpret them. I'd bet anything the answer is there.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    When you see hoof-prints, don't look for a zebra

This may be my new favorite expression :D
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Another idea to consider is discarding your previews in the catalog. Depending on how many you have it can be an issue. I noticed a speed improvement after changing to discard previews after 7 days.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Hi Divamum
    I know what you are going through. It is very frustrating. I had the same problem as you before i wiped my laptop clean and started over a fresh. Yes the massive files of the 7D take longer to process. Here ia an example.
    Last sunday i spent from 9am until 2pm taking pictures at a vintage car run. I took raw and small jpegs. Uploaded the small jpegs to a friends laptop so all of the people could see the photos while they were eating their dinner back at the hotel after the run was over. Went home and had a good nights sleep. The next morning i spent from 1030am until 430pm editing the 560 images. Then i started to process my raw files into small jpegs for ulpoad to flickr and i got finished at 6am the next morning.
    Yes these raw files are alot bigger and time consuming. If it is any help i keep all of my images mirrored on two by one terebyte hardrives. When i cleared out my laptop and started from scratch it was like haveing a new laptop but only to discover i now need more ram as i am back to square one.
    Hope this was of help.

Regards
    Patrick.:D