Canon Loyalty Program

Comments

• piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I recently sent in my Canon S90 since the flash stopped working. They said it was water damage, although I cannot recall how this would have happened since I frequently keep this camera in a Pelican case. Regardless, they offered me another S90 for $174 shipped, but also indicated I could potentially get a G11 although they are on back order apparently. I have called back a couple of times and there is no indication of whether the G11 will ever be in stock for the loyalty program again unfortunately. No S95 yet apparently. I don't entirely understand the logic behind what they have or don't have available for this program and it makes you wonder where the stock comes from. The guy on the phone indicated that they do not re-sell repaired items sent in by customers, but instead re-sell items sent back in from dealers.

I am tempted to have them send me back the damaged S90 since the camera works very well, just no flash. It would be a good one do dedicate for underwater use with a Canon underwater housing since this is a particularly good low-light model with f/2.0.
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    Just another confirmation of the above replies: refurb - 20%

I just ordered a T1i, $599-$120 = $380.
    Add on $30 tax = $510

I hope you meant $410 total, Erik :D. All in all, quite a nice deal!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited January 6, 2011
    Just a heads up, they currently have the 7D for $1087! This won't last long.
    edited January 10, 2011
    Just a heads up, they currently have the 7D for $1087! This won't last long.

Today they had a G11. $286 shipped.

Apparently you can send in ANY out of warranty camera and qualify for the program. I may send in my old A2 and buy that 7D.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    The G11 had problems out of the box. The main rear control dial didn't function properly - very strange behavior. As I turned the dial the camera responded with random directional movements of whatever was being controlled. For example, if I was moving the dial clockwise to increase shutter speed, it would change the speed in random increments AND in random directions [1/40... 1/15... 1/60... 1/80... 1/10].

One final option was to send it back for warranty repair.

I'll report back with how the process goes from here.

The G11 is back today. All seems to be working just fine and the time without it minimal. I dropped it off at UPS on January 5 and it's back and repaired in 10 days. Pretty decent turnaround.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited February 4, 2011
    Anyone have any idea for what you get in credit for various Canon items? If I send in a 6 year old point and shoot vs one that is one year old? A 15 year old lens? A 15 year old Canon A2 film camera? I would like to know ahead of time prior to sending it in. Any ideas? Thank you.
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Anyone have any idea for what you get in credit for various Canon items? If I send in a 6 year old point and shoot vs one that is one year old? A 15 year old lens? A 15 year old Canon A2 film camera? I would like to know ahead of time prior to sending it in. Any ideas? Thank you.

If you call (866.443.8002) Canon will give you a value on your gear. You're under no obligation to participate...
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    I think it's 20% off for any digital camera. Has to be broken. So if it's not you might want to grab a hammer rolleyes1.gif

I don't think you can do lenses. I do think film cams qualify.
  • rhonnyrhonny Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2011

It does not matter what you trade in. You get the same price. I traded my old film 35mm SLR. You do get a refurbished camera but it is guaranteed for 90 days.
    edited February 7, 2011
    I would like to say thank you for all the information in this thread. My digital rebel died right after Christmas. I hit on this forum while researching what I was going to do. The Canon Loyalty Program was my answer. I called twice just to make sure I would get the same answer both times and I did (it just sounded too good to be true). I was also concerned about the refurbished part of the deal but now realized that refurbished does not mean destroyed! My 50D arrived last Wednesday and I am so happy with it. I found a program that would show how many times the shutter had been fired...mine had been fired 24 times.

Now I have a lot of learning to do with the new camera. Thanks again for all the helpful information.
    edited February 7, 2011
    rhonny wrote: »
    It does not matter what you trade in. You get the same price. I traded my old film 35mm SLR. You do get a refurbished camera but it is guaranteed for 90 days.

I guess I should clarify. They will take broken cameras. Body only.
  • joshtalgiajoshtalgia Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2011
    Below is basically an outline of my experience with the Loyalty program thus far.

I sent the following to their customer service form on their website, as well as their corporate PR office.

Customer Service - Order #xxxxxxxxx. A history of my transaction with Canon and the Canon Loyalty Program.

On February 4, 2011 I powered on my PowerShot SD780IS and was met with a lens error. I went through a variety of troubleshooting procedures to no avail, the lens error persisted.

I contacted technical support and was replied to via email that the camera was out of its original warranty and informed that I could send it in for repair, and the Canon Loyalty Program was mentioned. I called the number and spoke to someone about the loyalty program. I ultimately decided on purchasing a G11 on February 5th.

On the 5th I spoke to Devita (Not sure about the spelling) I gave her a shipping address for where I work. A little after we spoke I received an e-mail confirmation for the order *(#xxxxxxxxxx), which showed the shipping address as my Home address, not my work address as was discussed on the phone.

I called back and spoke to another gentleman about the mixup, I cannot recall his name. He apologized for the inconvenience and explained he would have to reprocess the order, and as a result there would be another authorization charge put on my debit card for an additional $274.53, though the previous one should fall off in a few days. I explained that I didn't feel that it was acceptable that this was going to happen. After some holding while he checked with superiors he said that he could take down my bank/card information and contact the bank first thing on Monday to have them release the funds, but that was all that could be done. Ultimately, realizing that there was nothing that could be done, I accepted this. I will note that he did go so far as to upgrade my shipping to Overnight instead of 2nd day, though I wasn't really concerned about the shipping, it was more the inconvenience of my funds being on hold.

The order was shipped on 2/7, and I received the camera, as anticipated, on 2/8. Much to my dismay upon my initial inspection of the device I opened the viewfinder to find the swivel arm severely cracked, possibly due to overtightening of the screw(s). I've uploaded a picture of the damage which can be viewed here - http://www.e-nanigans.com/g11-2.jpg - I'm certain this damage did not take place during shipment due to the location of it, and how well the camera was packaged. It had to have been like this prior to being packaged, which I find absurd. Isn't this something that should have been addressed during refurbishment anyway?

I contacted customer support immediately to see what could be done about this. The gentleman I spoke to said the following would happen.

-I would be sent, via UPS Overnight, a prepaid package to ship the broken camera back in.

-Upon receipt of the damaged camera a replacement camera would be shipped back to me.

About 15 minutes later I received a new order confirmation, for a total of another $274.53. Surely, I thought to myself, they did not bill me AGAIN for this camera? I logged onto my online banking website, and lo and behold there was another charge on my account! Unbelievable!! I called customer support once again and spoke to a woman there, again I cannot recall her name.

She explained that the reason the transaction was handled in this fashion is that this way it would only take 2 days for me to receive my replacement camera, otherwise it would have taken 2 weeks or longer. She said that this should have been explained to me. This was not explained to me. I began to explain the situation but stopped myself as it seemed as this was a perfect example of the left hand having no idea what the right hand was doing and asked to speak to a manager.

I was eventually transferred to Eric. I explained my situation to him. He was very sympathetic to my situation and apologized for the inconveniences caused by this. I explained that at this point I was inclinced to just cancel the order as my experience thus far had been far from pleasant. Ultimately he ended up compensating my troubles in the form of a camera bag for the G11, as well as an SDHC card, free of charge. This at least instilled in me a semblance of faith that Canon does care about customer support.

Later on in the evening yesterday I received an email with a link to a prepaid Overnight shipping label that I could print to ship my camera back to Canon. Though this is not what I was told was going to happen (going back to my previous comments about my call, I was told that I would be receiving packaging with a prepaid shipping label from UPS).

Nevertheless, I understood that this should help expedite the process of me getting my camera back to them, so that I could get my replacement camera faster. As instructed by Eric I took down the RMA# that he provided (RMAxxxxxxx) and put it in the shipping box with the camera. He also instructed me to note what the issue was with the camera. I printed out a picture of the damage on the camera and circled the cracked bracket, which should suffice.

So it's now Wednesday. I tracked the return package I sent back to Canon. It has been delivered this morning. I called customer support and asked for Eric, as he has been the most helpful person with my issues thus far. He was unavailable at the time. I was transferred to the department that handles the Loyalty program and spoke to Tom. I explained my plight once again. Tom explained that though it had been received it still had to go through processing. His anticipation was that my replacement camera would be shipping out around Tuesday of next week. I was not told that my replacement camera would be shipped out after I shipped my camera back, they received it, and went through processing, which would take roughly 5 days. I was told that when my broken camera was RECEIVED my replacement (Order #xxxxxxxxx) would be shipped out.

I have all but completely given up at this point. This entire transaction has been me paying for mistakes made by others and as such has been extremely unpleasant.

If this message happens to get to someone who cares about a dissatisfied customer please feel free to contact me by phone or email. My contact information is listed below.
  • MysteryMystery Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2011
    especially since all I had to do is spend $12 to qualify rolleyes1.gif

Quick question,
    don't you have to register the product under your name and have the name of seller to qualify?
    Thanks for info.ne_nau.gif
  • meta444meta444 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2011
    i'll say this and leave it at that... i have purchased 2 cameras via this program over the past 3 months...a Rebel XS w/18-55mm lens, and a 7D body only. i have had ZERO problems or issues with any piece of the process...orders, customer relations or products. i have received excellent quality merchandise, outstanding discounts, and great treatment. no, i don't work for, or own stock in Canon ;)
    edited March 26, 2011
    Mystery wrote: »
    Quick question,
    don't you have to register the product under your name and have the name of seller to qualify?
    Thanks for info.ne_nau.gif

Um, not sure what you're asking. He bought a point and shoot for $12 off ebay. He called them, and traded the point and shoot for a discount (20% off) on the 5DII. He mailed them the point and shoot, they mailed him a 5DII.
  • Silverfox1Silverfox1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Does the CLP apply towards the purchase of a refurbished 1D MKIV ?

If they ever have any in stock !
    edited April 20, 2011
    I think it's only 7D and below. But, with the recent discount they were like $3600 or so refurbished, now they're $4000. Still a good deal.
  • Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    THIS IS AN AWESOME POST! Thanks for the info guys! Maybe I can get another 7D after all!
  • CheesheadCheeshead Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Talked to two different reps this morning and was told very sternly that this program is for broken out of warranty cameras only, it wasn't a very pleasant conversation. Trying to upgrade my s3is for a 50d or 7d, but 7d is out of stock. A month ago I called to just inquire and was given no grief at all. Possibly the policy has changed?

Has anyone else tried lately?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Cheeshead wrote: »
    Talked to two different reps this morning and was told very sternly that this program is for broken out of warranty cameras only, it wasn't a very pleasant conversation. Trying to upgrade my s3is for a 50d or 7d, but 7d is out of stock. A month ago I called to just inquire and was given no grief at all. Possibly the policy has changed?

What, you have to break your camera?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 1, 2011
    Or buy a broken one. They won't accept working cameras.
  • CheesheadCheeshead Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    How damaged does it have to be? If I break off the battery cover? Break glass?
    edited June 2, 2011
    Just not functional. Water damage qualifies, I think.
  • HotspiceHotspice Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2011
    Cheeshead wrote: »

Actually, that's been my understanding of the intent of the program. I've never understood it to be a program just to upgrade, it's to replace broken gear.

ne_nau.gif
  • CameraFunCameraFun Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    When I called they told me broken cameras only and that it did not include out of warranty items (unless they are broken).
  • amnesiacamnesiac Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2011
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all the posters on this thread. Been following the discussion for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. Bought a broken SD600 on ebay for $10, and traded it in for a 7D refurb at the usual price of $1087 + tax. Arrived with only 266 shots on the shutter, spotless condition just like brand new! Could not be happier. Thanks all.
    edited July 12, 2011
    Congrats, enjoy the cam wings.gif
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    7D still available!
    Thanks for this thread! thumb.gif

Hoped to get a refurb from Adorama (no tx/free ship) but none available thru them or B&H...canon refurb price $1359 +tax+ship = too much ne_nau.gif

Then I remembered this thread, made the call and they had 203 7D's on hand (well 202 now!) deal.gif

At the same $1087.20 price with trade in (after CA sales tax $1182) mwink.gif

If this works out as hoped you may see my mint 1D Mark 3 posted soon (great body, just too heavy) :cry

-Rich56k

As far as other models - nothing better than the 7D but many assorted xxD's, rebels and below - well worth the call - very helpful operators too! Just be forewarned - they knew it was me calling (!) as my # is in the system as a long time customer - so much for my "I'm really in Oregon (no tax) but please ship to CA story" - Laughing.gif
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
    edited August 19, 2011
    Congrats on the 7D! You'll love it wings.gif :ivar

Here is some useful info on the Loyalty Program: http://www.overclock.net/photography/1088761-canon-loyalty-program-faqs-originally-potn.html
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    Congrats on the 7D! You'll love it wings.gif :ivar

Here is some useful info on the Loyalty Program: http://www.overclock.net/photography/1088761-canon-loyalty-program-faqs-originally-potn.html

Thanks ThatCanonGuy it was actually your post about the coupon codes (http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=203262) that got me all riled up for the 7D...I was just 'to little, too late' on that day rolleyes1.gif

Hence me saving even more money for the same canon refurb using this program. The link above you posted is excellent - that's pretty much exactly how it went - only note is they did tell me even Canon film cameras are accepted -"ANY canon body".

Thanks again (and to aktse for the original post) thumb.gif
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS