Options

almost 16,000 views in 2 1/2 days but no sales

2»

Comments

• Options
    dizzle114dizzle114 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    My HS football sales always come in several months later. Some weeks after, but for the most part once the season is over.
  • Options
    petereoinpetereoin Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    We as photographers have to capture images that are way beyond what any parent can get with their cameras. Some of this is achieved by privileged access, yes, but a great deal more is achieved by shooting super tight, and super, super good. I will shoot Little League baseball with a 600/4 and 1.4 TC at times. We have to show parents what they never thought even existed during a softball/little league game. We have to show them the eyes in shadow, the sweat dripping from the brow. If you're not prepared to do that mentally or don't have the financial resources to invest that might be the reason why sales are off.

The shots here, with all due respect, are fine for any semi-experienced parent on the sidelines to get with an average rig. You have to be better than that. I have to be better than that. WE have to be better than that in order to succeed in a business that grows competitively more challenging every day.
    Canon MKIII, Canon MKIV, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8 IS, 1.4 extender and other canon gear

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=10140
    http://pjfphoto.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    TrickTheLightTrickTheLight Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    When ever I shoot an event, I can get as much as 25,000 views. Yet, not one sale. I prefer to just get paid to photograph the event now. Print, share and etc... But don't claim it's yours or doctor it in anyway.
    I photograph because I enjoy it, not because I expect to make living off of it.
    I no longer have a Pro account because of this.

I shoot amateur MMA, and I also rack up a huge number of views after an event, with a very limited amount of sales. I find that promoting the images on facebook helps the sales. It still doesn't make enough money to quit my day job, but I do get some sales. No facebook, no sales. That is part of knowing my market though, the fighters, fans, promoters, etc are all on facebook. It gives me a chance to remind them after the event that the images are there. I also go back and promote old events sometimes, and get a few small bites that way.

And, I need to improve my watermark, so it interferes with downloads, but doesn't reduce the viewing appeal of my gallery too badly. I am going to be doing some work on that this week. The tricky part is making a general watermark that doesn't totally wreck the image, but intrudes enough to discourage grabbing, on every image from the event.
  • Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    There are too many photos in this gallery. 248 images from 1 game of 1 team?!?
    I maybe a slacker, but I consider it a good game if I keep 50 or so photos.

I'm sure there are some good shots in there, but they get lost in all the boring shots.
    Less is More my friend. You don't need 80 shots of the pitcher.

Keyword or Caption your photos either by player name by number so each player's photos are grouped together.

Mind your horizons

Shoot tight, every parent has a DSLR, but few have 200+MM glass.

Stick to action shots that have A. the ball in frame B. faces or C. Emotion Preferably all three.

Don't offer photos of a player failing (unless it has "The agony of defeat" emotion).

Get the word out, hand out fliers, get the coach to forward an email for you and be patient.
    Parents will buy the photos when they are ready (hopefully before they forget about it altogether!)

Keep shooting and Good Luckthumb.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    OrpeanutOrpeanut Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    "There are too many photos in this gallery. 248 images from 1 game of 1 team?!?
    I maybe a slacker, but I consider it a good game if I keep 50 or so photos"

Thanks Zack for your input, good points. It was two teams with very similiar uniforms. I realize I get carried away with photos of the pitchers and photos of players in batting stances a lot of times the photos of the batters in their stance are the ones that sell. They are the ones that parents can take themselves.

I have a tough time with horizons and get lazy with correcting. I guess I should just hit delete.