Options

Upload to Smugmug with FTP

13»

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    What's unfair is SM's treatment of a developer that is working on a solution for free for the number 7 feature request that SM faces from its customers.

I know that SM has supported SE from the get go. It's one of the reasons I bought a license. And I believe that if there was an issue of similar magnitude, while the application would be suspended in a similar fashion, that Nikolai and the SE users would not be shut out as coldly as Liangzan and smugftp users have. Like I said, I don't know the reason as it doesn't make sense, but I'm convinced there is one beyond the technical issues.

I mean, if there's a technical issue on BETA software, you keep going back and forth and get it to work, not just shut it off and be done with it. ne_nau.gif Unless you really don't want it to work in the first place. If that's the case, be straightforward about it and quit wasting everyone's time.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 19, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    What's unfair is SM's treatment of a developer that is working on a solution for free for the number 7 feature request that SM faces from its customers.

I would like to remind you that in Mikka's message, he offered to re-visit their decision should the situation with smugftp change. That seems pretty fair to me.

I could make some more comments on product development in a production environment but I won't. I think it's safe to say we disagree and leave it at that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    I would like to remind you that in Mikka's message, he offered to re-visit their decision should the situation with smugftp change. That seems pretty fair to me.
    Per my conversation with the author, the situation has changed, but this decision by SM still stands. ne_nau.gif It's one thing if there was communication, but it just seems as if SM simply slammed the door on smugftp. headscratch.gif
    ian408 wrote: »
    I could make some more comments on product development in a production environment but I won't. I think it's safe to say we disagree and leave it at that.
    I don't doubt that there are development factors involved. But my experience with SM has shown that there's also a lot of 'just because' decisions being made too.

I agree that we disagree. And I appreciate that we are able to have this civil discussion on the matter even though we both passionately stand behind our positions. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    We all ding SmugMug when uploads are slow or they go down, sometimes pretty hard.

I'm assuming that at one point SmugFTP had some kind of effect on overall upload performance. Once that happens it's pretty easy for me to see why SmugMug would be incredibly skittish, even reactionary, about letting that app run, until they were 100% confident the slow down would not happen again.

Per my conversation with the author, the situation has changed, but this decision by SM still stands. ne_nau.gif It's one thing if there was communication, but it just seems as if SM simply slammed the door on smugftp. headscratch.gif
    I don't doubt that there are development factors involved. But my experience with SM has shown that there's also a lot of 'just because' decisions being made too.

I agree that we disagree. And I appreciate that we are able to have this civil discussion on the matter even though we both passionately stand behind our positions. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    We all ding SmugMug when uploads are slow or they go down, sometimes pretty hard.

I'm assuming that at one point SmugFTP had some kind of effect on overall upload performance. Once that happens it's pretty easy for me to see why SmugMug would be incredibly skittish, even reactionary, about letting that app run, until they were 100% confident the slow down would not happen again.
    I understand that as well, but to not want to cooperate on helping debug a BETA software just shows a lack of interest on SM's part on making smugftp a reality.

It's ultimately up to SM as far as what will work with their API, but they should be more overt about it if they don't want such a feature. Don't waste the developer and users' time.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    I understand that as well, but to not want to cooperate

We cooperate plenty, and Markham and Miikka will be and have been in touch with the developer.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    From this post:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1631237&postcount=31
    Hi guys,

With a heavy heart, I've decided to shut SmugFTP down. The main reason
    is Smugmug has suspended me. I feel a need to give my side of the
    story.

What happened is a mistake in the app resulted in SmugFTP pounding
    Smugmug's servers on 2 separate occasions. As a result, Smugmug has
    decided that SmugFTP is not stable enough. And they decided to
    suspend. The mistake in the code is my fault. But as we know, SmugFTP
    is still in beta. I'm human. I make mistakes too. I can only try my
    best. I already apologised and patched the code(while on vacation).
    But the decision to suspend still stands.

I doubt I can continue with Smugmug being unsupportive. Thanks for the
    support everyone! I suppose I'll simply move on to build other stuff.
    Not on smugmug next time though =)

--
    Wong Liang Zan
    liangzan.net

Unfortunately, this is a different story from what SM is saying, and confirms what I suspected.

Regardless, it seems as FTP is still a demand without a supply. And with this precedent of SM treatment towards a FTP developer, I feel another developer will be hesitant to take on the task of a third party application that supports FTP. This is not good.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    From this post:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1631237&postcount=31

Unfortunately, this is a different story from what SM is saying, and confirms what I suspected.

Regardless, it seems as FTP is still a demand without a supply. And with this precedent of SM treatment towards a FTP developer, I feel another developer will be hesitant to take on the task of a third party application that supports FTP. This is not good.
    What was Smugmug's actual response? What did they say when he offered to fix the issue and make sure his code was well-behaved?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    What was Smugmug's actual response? What did they say when he offered to fix the issue and make sure his code was well-behaved?
    Contact Liangzan for the details. I don't know if he wants his exact words posted here.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Smugftp is back! Check it out at smugftp.com!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Smugftp is back! Check it out at smugftp.com!

This is great...hope it works out this time......

Keep up the great work Liangzan
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website