Options

Why is 'laptop' lingo so different to PC's

2»

Comments

• Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    They are really jumping to the front around here mate. Best bit is that its from a store just down the road from me.
    If you trust the people, then the machine spec looks nice. It may be a little hard to tell how it would cope with 'airport abuse', but the component specs look OK, as long as it has been engineered by someone with neurons...
    I will take a 3 year warranty anyway. Ive seen too many laptops goes toes up after the 1st years warranty is up.
    The price of an extended warranty is often an interesting sign of how confident a company are. The extended warranty on a £5000 Dell is £133+VAT. 'Time' before they went bankrupt simply didn't offer the same level of service and the nearest option which is significantly worse would have been nearly £1000... You can expect a higher warranty ratio for a laptop, as they just do break more often, but if it's too high, you should we wary...

Still have not the go ahead to buy it but am now ready when the green light goes.
    Enjoy :):

Luke
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    3 year on site warranty is £100 pounds luke.

Im confident enough building & adding to my desk top & could care less what happens to it but a lap top is a different animal so i will get the warranty.

It wont see many airports just my lounge room or in my huge camera back pack that has a purpose built bag for it.

Thanks mate
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    Now I know you yanks like your Hummers!!

Just thought I would throw this link into the mix, a good site for news on up and coming technology in laptops & PC's as well as many other things including photography :D

http://www.gizmag.com/personalcomputing/
  • Options
    Wheres the yank headscratch.gif luke is a pom...marlof & michiel are from the neatherlands & im from a wasteland penal hell hole that HMS sent my forefathers to...curse them !

Tks for the link...will check it out.
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    Humungus wrote:
    Wheres the yank headscratch.gif luke is a pom...marlof & michiel are from the neatherlands & im from a wasteland penal hell hole that HMS sent my forefathers to.

Tks for the link...will check it out.

headscratch.gif Good God you're right, there's so many on here I tend to just assume everyone's one apart from myself!!! Check the link out, I'll go and get my coat.:tiptoe :D
  • Options
    Wow...what about that 19" model or the carbon fibre model eek7.gif
  • Options
    SnapHappy wrote:
    headscratch.gif Good God you're right, there's so many on here I tend to just assume everyone's one apart from myself!!! Check the link out, I'll go and get my coat.:tiptoe :D
    The yanks are asleep atm. Its good to run around in your underwear here whilst the place is quiet.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    Humungus wrote:
    The yanks are asleep atm. Its good to run around in your underwear here whilst the place is quiet.
    lmao..ur a classic gus icon10.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    :andy
  • Options
    [DROOOOOOOOOOL] ylsuper.gif
    Go on mate...take a butchers at it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    Humungus wrote:
    But i would have to buy CS2 again wouldnt i ?

Or run it as a virtual PC which is slower than waxy.

Gus

Nope. They'll transfer the license (that was a sticking point for me too).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    ian408 wrote:
    Nope. They'll transfer the license (that was a sticking point for me too).
    That'd be strange. I've contacted Adobe about it, and they explicitly stated that they would *not* do that. They have *no* crossgrade policy in effect, at least, that's what they said to me. It's one of the only reasons I still have a WinXP desktop standing around.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    marlof wrote:
    That'd be strange. I've contacted Adobe about it, and they explicitly stated that they would *not* do that. They have *no* crossgrade policy in effect, at least, that's what they said to me. It's one of the only reasons I still have a WinXP desktop standing around.

That's too bad.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    It sure is bad. Give my iView Media anytime, who give a desktop / notebook license as well, regardless of the operating systems on that combo.

Ian, you wrote that it was a sticking point for you too. Does that mean they did transfer your license from Win to Mac? For me, that would be good enough a solution, since I'd like to go all Mac and the only extra license I'd currently have to buy would be PS CS2.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2005
    Round 2

Why do (from my observations) all new laptops have slots for xD cards...memory stickes..SM etc but none that i have found take CF ?

I assumed that it would be 1st in line. Too big ?

Gus
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    You can use a PCMCIA CF card reader, very fast en quite cheap!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    You can use a PCMCIA CF card reader, very fast en quite cheap!
    yep...have one in front of me for my decktop.. but im still miffed as to why they have all the other cards & not CF.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    Humungus wrote:
    yep...have one in front of me for my decktop.. but im still miffed as to why they have all the other cards & not CF.
    Who knows ne_nau.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl