Options

Lion photo apps compatibility checklist - please post your findings

2»

Comments

• Options
    keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    Well, I took it back to the shop and they run some tests on it. It turns out that it was a RAM problem. Thankfully it is still under warranty. The RAM they installed was genuine, and one of the modules was faulty. I pick it up tomorrow, so I'll give it a workout and see if it's OK. I go to Ayers Rock for the week on Saturday, so I was counting on having a laptop with me.thumb.gif

Wow! Since installing Lion, I have had my RAM replaced. Then the logic board. Then a new set of RAM. Today, the shop informed me that the real problem with my MBP is the non-reflective screen. So, that gets replaced tomorrow. That just about leaves the chassis . . . headscratch.gif It seems that my MBP was something of a lemon! I'm sorry, Apple, it wasn't OSX Lion, it was the lousy hardware!
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    Eek, not good.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    firstduefirstdue Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Apparently I'm the only one who uses Nikon Capture NX2 (or used to).

With the exception of constant crashes NX2 always worked well functionally for me when I using it on my pc's. After 1 too many laptop meltdowns, I upgraded to a MacBook Pro.

I bought the original Capture NX disc and bought the NX2 upgrade.

Lion will not accept either key code. I have been playing email tag with support but they don't seem to be willing to solve the problem. For now I accept that they haven't released an official patch for Lion, but to not deal with a keycode issue is unacceptable, especially for someone who actually admits to using their software in public.

My 30 day trial runs out in about 8 more days so it'll be off to Aperture or Lightroom with no looking back at a potential Capture NX3. It's a shame to invest so much time learning post processing with a piece of software only for the company to come back and bite you in the .... because you want better performance.
  • Options
    syntec4syntec4 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    I have been using nikon transfer for years. I recently bought a Macbook air 13"which has Lion 10.7.1. It's now my main computer. I installed the MAc version of Nikon Transfer via download and changed the preferences to match my well used renaming format when getting pictures (JPEG's) from the SD card/internal reader. It appears to be working fine, as long as I ignore the popup message.

i-XMnWrgz-L.jpg

I don't know how to get rid of this or even what it means? There must be a better work flow than this by now? I have PS CS3, Picasa, Iphoto, and Windows Lightroom 2. I though there was some way of using my Windows Lightroom2 License to convert to Mac, but I've not figured it all out yet.
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    PowerPC applications were written for the IBM PowerPC processor. Since Apple switched to Intel chips a few years ago they've maintained a conversion layer that allowed applications programmed for the older hardware to run. They abandoned this with Lion (there are lots of good reasons to do so). You can try downloading LR 2.3 from here

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4359

and using your existing serial number. As far as I know Lr is cross-platform that way (I know Lr 3 is)