Options

D700 or New Lense?

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited November 13, 2011 in Cameras
Hi!

I have finally saved up to buy a Nikon 24-70 2.8. BUT.. now I am rethinking.. Would it be better to continue saving a get a full body (I have a D90), instead of buying the lens? I have 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and Tamron 28-70 2.8) thank you for your opinions/suggestions.

:)
GG

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    Are you unhappy with the Tamron 28-70?

To me, it seems the money is better spent on a D700 (though I have yet to spring for one. I'm still limping along with a D80) than a lens that replaces one you already own.

I haven't compared them, but the primary difference between a Nikon 24-70 2.8 and a Tamron 28-70 2.8 is what? A little better build quality in the Nikon (yes? no?), and 4 more mm at the wide end? I wouldn't spend money on that (even assuming you can sell the Tamron to cover some of the cost). If the image quality of the Tamron has disappointed you, that is another matter entirely.

Easy for me to talk. I have been waiting for the D700 successor for what seems an eternity.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    Are you unhappy with the Tamron 28-70?

To me, it seems the money is better spent on a D700 (though I have yet to spring for one. I'm still limping along with a D80) than a lens that replaces one you already own.

I haven't compared them, but the primary difference between a Nikon 24-70 2.8 and a Tamron 28-70 2.8 is what? A little better build quality in the Nikon (yes? no?), and 4 more mm at the wide end? I wouldn't spend money on that (even assuming you can sell the Tamron to cover some of the cost). If the image quality of the Tamron has disappointed you, that is another matter entirely.

Easy for me to talk. I have been waiting for the D700 successor for what seems an eternity.

I am yet to get consistent results with the 28-70. It is a very picky lens (at least for me with my D90). I rented the 24-70 and loved everything about it.. from its awesome colors to the extra mm at the wide end. I used it for a week and it was great! That is when I got all excited about saving for it.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    GemGem wrote: »
    Hi!

I have finally saved up to buy a Nikon 24-70 2.8. BUT.. now I am rethinking.. Would it be better to continue saving a get a full body (I have a D90), instead of buying the lens? I have 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and Tamron 28-70 2.8) thank you for your opinions/suggestions.

:)
    GG

Really. Buying a camera is based on different decisions than buying a lens. Sometimes you do get both due to certain factors, but make your decision based on what you know. You know that the D90 is a fine camera, but has some limitations in ISO range, Flash sync speed and it doesn't resolve as well as a D700. But that lens, the 24-70 f/2.8 now that thing will work and look stunning on about any Nikon you bolt it to. So really decide what it is you need versus what you want. If your needs are met with the D90, then that leaves the lens.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    It really, really depends on what you shoot and under what conditions.

* Shooting nature and landscapes and casual stuff, a 24-70 couldn't be further from the right choice... I'd rather have a 16-85 DX, a Tokina 11-16 2.8, and a Sigma 50-150 2.8.

* Even if I wanted to kick it up a notch with nature and landscapes etc, I'd pair a D700 with other lenses. I'd be looking for f/4 zooms and one or two primes. Heck, for landscapes and artsy stuff on a D700, I'd be more excited about some AIS manual focus primes. But I'm oldschool like that

* Shooting portraits and casual photojournalism, I'd go for a D700, 50, and 85. I could make a living with just those three things, or at least a healthy side income. A 50mm and 85mm are all you need for traditional portraits of 1-4 people, and maybe a 35 f/2 if you shoot larger groups. True, a 24-70 could be versatile for more hectic professional portrait situations. Just a consideration based on what you regularly get yourself into...

* Shooting in high-action photojournalistic situations, a 24-70 is definitely very useful. The 24-70 is certainly the bread-and-butter tool of many full-time wedding and event photographers. Only problem is, if you find yourself in the types of situations where the 24-70 really shines, in my opinion you're even more in need of focus accuracy, and ISO performance. Bottom line, as a full-time wedding photographer myself I would rather have a D700 and a few primes... I'm not particularly fond of the old school style of autofocus, which the Tamron 28-75 sports, but I could get by. Tough call, between a D700+ 28-75 and a D90+24-70, but to be honest I'd go with the D700+ 28-75. Actually, currently most of my wedding images are made on a D700 and the new 50 f/1.8 AFS-G. I rented the 24-70 a few times, but just preferred the lighter, faster 50 1.8...

So, there you have it. The 24-70 is definitely a bread-and-butter lens, but depending on what you shoot I might go with any number of other options. So, what is it you shoot mostly?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    It really, really depends on what you shoot and under what conditions.

* Shooting nature and landscapes and casual stuff, a 24-70 couldn't be further from the right choice... I'd rather have a 16-85 DX, a Tokina 11-16 2.8, and a Sigma 50-150 2.8.

* Even if I wanted to kick it up a notch with nature and landscapes etc, I'd pair a D700 with other lenses. I'd be looking for f/4 zooms and one or two primes. Heck, for landscapes and artsy stuff on a D700, I'd be more excited about some AIS manual focus primes. But I'm oldschool like that

* Shooting portraits and casual photojournalism, I'd go for a D700, 50, and 85. I could make a living with just those three things, or at least a healthy side income. A 50mm and 85mm are all you need for traditional portraits of 1-4 people, and maybe a 35 f/2 if you shoot larger groups. True, a 24-70 could be versatile for more hectic professional portrait situations. Just a consideration based on what you regularly get yourself into...

* Shooting in high-action photojournalistic situations, a 24-70 is definitely very useful. The 24-70 is certainly the bread-and-butter tool of many full-time wedding and event photographers. Only problem is, if you find yourself in the types of situations where the 24-70 really shines, in my opinion you're even more in need of focus accuracy, and ISO performance. Bottom line, as a full-time wedding photographer myself I would rather have a D700 and a few primes... I'm not particularly fond of the old school style of autofocus, which the Tamron 28-75 sports, but I could get by. Tough call, between a D700+ 28-75 and a D90+24-70, but to be honest I'd go with the D700+ 28-75. Actually, currently most of my wedding images are made on a D700 and the new 50 f/1.8 AFS-G. I rented the 24-70 a few times, but just preferred the lighter, faster 50 1.8...

So, there you have it. The 24-70 is definitely a bread-and-butter lens, but depending on what you shoot I might go with any number of other options. So, what is it you shoot mostly?

=Matt=

Matt- That does it! I am saving for the D700. I am mainly a family photographer with the occasional "family reunion" group, which is when I use the 28-70. I do take 3 weddings a year, which is why I was saving for the amazing 24-70. I love the range, when I rented it, that lens stayed in my camera for the entire week! A bit heavy, but it was well worth it. The range is just perfect! as it is the focus, and the sharpness, and the accuracy.. I just love everything about it.

Santa is bringing me the D700! Then like you said Matt, I will be ready for my healthy size income and save up to buy the 24-70 and take an extra wedding :)

Thank you so much everyone for your input.. Dgrin forums rock!

GG
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    D700 and don't look back. Awesome camera.

SOOOO excited!!!!!! :ivar
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Matt- That does it! I am saving for the D700. I am mainly a family photographer with the occasional "family reunion" group, which is when I use the 28-70. I do take 3 weddings a year, which is why I was saving for the amazing 24-70. I love the range, when I rented it, that lens stayed in my camera for the entire week! A bit heavy, but it was well worth it. The range is just perfect! as it is the focus, and the sharpness, and the accuracy.. I just love everything about it.

Santa is bringing me the D700! Then like you said Matt, I will be ready for my healthy size income and save up to buy the 24-70 and take an extra wedding :)

Thank you so much everyone for your input.. Dgrin forums rock!

GG
    Sounds like a plan, but keep in mind that if you find the 24-70 to be "perfect" on the D90, you'll be in for a bit of change on a D700. 24mm is a LOT wider than 36mm, which is really good for photojournalism, but 70mm is noticably shorter than 105mm, which is annoying for portraits. All in all though, paired with an 85mm you should be able to tackle most anything. Maybe rent a 70-200 for the 3 weddings you shoot per year, and you'd be totally set.

Also, keep in mind that Nikon prices are due to go WAY up in the next few days / weeks. Some sort of weird pricing regulation thing thanks to Nikon corporate. So, I would either make SURE you take advantage of a rebate, OR my preference....get a used D700. I'm sure that when the D800 (or anything FX for that matter) is announced in the next few weeks / months, you'll be able to find a really good deal on a good condition D700.

But that's just me, the kind of guy who voids warranties anyway. I haven't bought a new piece of equipment over $200 in 5+ years, it's all been used gear for me and it's treated me very well!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Sounds like a plan, but keep in mind that if you find the 24-70 to be "perfect" on the D90, you'll be in for a bit of change on a D700. 24mm is a LOT wider than 36mm, which is really good for photojournalism, but 70mm is noticably shorter than 105mm, which is annoying for portraits. All in all though, paired with an 85mm you should be able to tackle most anything. Maybe rent a 70-200 for the 3 weddings you shoot per year, and you'd be totally set.

Also, keep in mind that Nikon prices are due to go WAY up in the next few days / weeks. Some sort of weird pricing regulation thing thanks to Nikon corporate. So, I would either make SURE you take advantage of a rebate, OR my preference....get a used D700. I'm sure that when the D800 (or anything FX for that matter) is announced in the next few weeks / months, you'll be able to find a really good deal on a good condition D700.

But that's just me, the kind of guy who voids warranties anyway. I haven't bought a new piece of equipment over $200 in 5+ years, it's all been used gear for me and it's treated me very well!

=Matt=

Thank you Matt!
    I was checking out Adorama and they have a $300 rebate on it but I have to buy a printer worth $450..eek7.gif Any other places I should check for rebates?

Amazon has D700 in stock now for $1000-1600 used. I have to say though, it is scary to buy a used camera w.o first testing it to see if all is good with it. Do you have a place in particular you like to buy used equipment from? if so, do share :)

Thanks Matt!
    GG
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Also look for refurbished.

What is the difference between Refurb and used, in Nikon talk?
    Thanks Zoomer
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    What is the difference between Refurb and used, in Nikon talk?
    Thanks Zoomer

Refurb, from a reputable dealer: B&H, Adorama, etc have a warranty. It is typically 90 days, but you can always add an after market Wtty if that is a concern. Lots of us have had really good luck with refurbed gear. Used. Used typically doesn't have a warranty, though you can get at least a 14 day return from the good folks mentioned above and KEH too.
    tom wise
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Thank you Matt!
    I was checking out Adorama and they have a $300 rebate on it but I have to buy a printer worth $450..eek7.gif Any other places I should check for rebates?

Amazon has D700 in stock now for $1000-1600 used. I have to say though, it is scary to buy a used camera w.o first testing it to see if all is good with it. Do you have a place in particular you like to buy used equipment from? if so, do share :)

Thanks Matt!
    GG

Um, you're looking at the D7000 :). The D700 is going to cost a bit more.

I've bought refurb from Canon before. It's like new, basically new equipment without the full warranty. I think Canon gives you a 90-day warranty. Nikon should be similar.

Where to buy used equipment? Adorama used department, DGrin Flea Market, FM forums, KEH.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Um, you're looking at the D7000 :). The D700 is going to cost a bit more.

I've bought refurb from Canon before. It's like new, basically new equipment without the full warranty. I think Canon gives you a 90-day warranty. Nikon should be similar.

Where to buy used equipment? Adorama used department, DGrin Flea Market, FM forums, KEH.

Ok, so I double checkd amazon and it says, unless I am reading it wrong, that they have D700's used starting at 1k. I sent an email to two sellers for more info, just to make sure it is the D700.

Thank you for the suggestions for Adorama, FM forums etc... :)thumb.gif
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Whoa, I looked and sure enough. Must be a scam. Those sellers have 1-3 ratings total. Some "just started." Stay away.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Whoa, I looked and sure enough. Must be a scam. Those sellers have 1-3 ratings total. Some "just started." Stay away.

yea, I have not heard from them yet. I emailed two of them this AM. It would have been sweet tho. lol
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    Buy used, but definitely don't buy without protection. And look to pay closer to $2K for a good condition D700. I don't know how Amazon works, but if they (corporately) will accept the liability of a fraudulent 3rd party seller, then you should be safe. If not, then check out KEH and Ebay. (As long as you can get buyer protection through Ebay / Paypal...)

Personally, here's my take on the whole new / warranty thing:

Most anything that might go wrong with a used camera, lens or flash, I can test for within a day of receiving the package. shutter count, focus / exposure etc. accuracy, everything. I would just put it through it's paces in a rigorous way, and then either keep it or ship it back. Perfectly safe. Anything that COULD happen after that, well, there's a 99% chance that it'll be my own dang fault and it will void the warranty. Especially with flashes- a flash warranty is almost a total joke, because almost ANYTHING that could go wrong with it is something that would void the warranty.

So I say, you're much better off just buying used and putting it on your renters / homeowners insurance. That's a much better investment than buying anything new. Besides, Nikon stuff is NEVER in stock new anyways haha!!!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    Buy used, but definitely don't buy without protection. And look to pay closer to $2K for a good condition D700. I don't know how Amazon works, but if they (corporately) will accept the liability of a fraudulent 3rd party seller, then you should be safe. If not, then check out KEH and Ebay. (As long as you can get buyer protection through Ebay / Paypal...)

Personally, here's my take on the whole new / warranty thing:

Most anything that might go wrong with a used camera, lens or flash, I can test for within a day of receiving the package. shutter count, focus / exposure etc. accuracy, everything. I would just put it through it's paces in a rigorous way, and then either keep it or ship it back. Perfectly safe. Anything that COULD happen after that, well, there's a 99% chance that it'll be my own dang fault and it will void the warranty. Especially with flashes- a flash warranty is almost a total joke, because almost ANYTHING that could go wrong with it is something that would void the warranty.

So I say, you're much better off just buying used and putting it on your renters / homeowners insurance. That's a much better investment than buying anything new. Besides, Nikon stuff is NEVER in stock new anyways haha!!!

=Matt=

This is so helpful Matt, thank you. I am going to ask State Farm if they could write a policy under the current homeowners insurance. You guys are just amazing with this information.. Thank you! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited October 14, 2011
    This is so helpful Matt, thank you. I am going to ask State Farm if they could write a policy under the current homeowners insurance. You guys are just amazing with this information.. Thank you! iloveyou.gif

Be very careful here. While your homeowners policy will cover personal use of your equipment through a rider, if you use it for business purposes, even a part-time non-professional business, you probably aren't covered. Your insurance agent may not even know or understand the distinction, but a "claims" agent will.

Generally, you are better off joining a professional photographer's organization that offers a group policy on equipment, and then buying that insurance, or just buying from an agency that has specialized insurance.

We've covered this a few times before. Here's a pertinent discussion:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180570
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Be very careful here. While your homeowners policy will cover personal use of your equipment through a rider, if you use it for business purposes, even a part-time non-professional business, you probably aren't covered. Your insurance agent may not even know or understand the distinction, but a "claims" agent will.

Generally, you are better off joining a professional photographer's organization that offers a group policy on equipment, and then buying that insurance, or just buying from an agency that has specialized insurance.

We've covered this a few times before. Here's a pertinent discussion:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180570

You are so right Ziggy, my agent said it will not be covered if it is for business. She sent me to another agency that does it. I will however check the link you sent me, the more informed, the better:)

Thank you.
    GG
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2011
    You are so right Ziggy, my agent said it will not be covered if it is for business. She sent me to another agency that does it. I will however check the link you sent me, the more informed, the better:)

Thank you.
    GG
    Oh yeah, if you're going to be using it professionally a lot, then just join the PPA. Best $300 you'll spend per year...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    I got it!!!!
    Hi everyone!!

I just got my D700 today.. I have to say, it feels AWESOME!! :) it is like having a new camera and new lenses! my 50mm is extra awesome now.. and my 85mm.. come on!!! wicked excited. Now, I need your help one more time :)

Since I bought it used from KEH, (thanks to all of you for suggesting them). What things should I be checking out to make sure everything works well.

One thing i have noticed so far is that, the Shutter button sinks unless it is focused. is that normal?

I am going to search online for the manual to read on it because it is similar but different than my D90.

Also, the camera came w.o the external flash cover or the strap. Is that the standard as well?

Thank you!!!! iloveyou.gifivarwings.gif

GG
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the FF experience :) The cover and strap are things you can get on ebay for a couple bucks each if you just want the regular stuff. Personally I'd go for a nice 3" wide strap, they beat the hell out of the standard straps and are worth the extra $.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    Hi everyone!!

One thing i have noticed so far is that, the Shutter button sinks unless it is focused. is that normal?

I am going to search online for the manual to read on it because it is similar but different than my D90.

Also, the camera came w.o the external flash cover or the strap. Is that the standard as well?

Thank you!!!! iloveyou.gifivarwings.gif

GG

Yes, it does kinda feel like that. but that also can be adjusted in menu, by addressing whether or not you have shutter release when the button is pressed, or whether it has to be in focus too before shutter is released. It's called Shutter priority, er something like that.

Not sure what an external flash cover is.

Anytime you buy used and KEH is good about this, they show right in the product window what comes with that particular used item: Sometimes they'll have no front or rear caps, no straps or no box or none of any of it. and it does effect the price you pay a little.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the FF experience :) The cover and strap are things you can get on ebay for a couple bucks each if you just want the regular stuff. Personally I'd go for a nice 3" wide strap, they beat the hell out of the standard straps and are worth the extra $.

Thank you! I love it!!!!! So is the shutter button supposed to feel that way? I don't know how to explain it. With my D90, I press and it is firm, with D700 it is soft unless focused.. not sure it is like that or if there is something wrong with the shutter.

BTW: I love the way the shutter sounds!!! lol

GG
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Yes, it does kinda feel like that. but that also can be adjusted in menu, by addressing whether or not you have shutter release when the button is pressed, or whether it has to be in focus too before shutter is released. It's called Shutter priority, er something like that.

Not sure what an external flash cover is.

Anytime you buy used and KEH is good about this, they show right in the product window what comes with that particular used item: Sometimes they'll have no front or rear caps, no straps or no box or none of any of it. and it does effect the price you pay a little.

Ok thanks! I will check that now :)
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    Thank you! I love it!!!!! So is the shutter button supposed to feel that way? I don't know how to explain it. With my D90, I press and it is firm, with D700 it is soft unless focused.. not sure it is like that or if there is something wrong with the shutter.

BTW: I love the way the shutter sounds!!! lol

GG

Nope, that's just what a professional shutter release feels like. ;-)

The reason the camera doesn't click when it's not in focus is simply because you're in Single focus mode. (The "S" on the AF switch on the lower front of the camera) ...By default, the camera will refuse to fire unless it confirms focus. This is handy for "locking" focus and then re-composing the shot while your finger is still half-pressed, when necessary, or for simply guaranteeing focus period.

However as Angevin said, you can configure this in the menu so that the camera will fire any time you want it to. Personally, I do NOT use this option, because when I'm using my camera in Single shot focus mode, I like it to "lock" and beep at me. I don't like to have the camera clicking off pictures before focus is confirmed, not unless I'm tracking a subject in Continuous focus mode. Which, by default is how the "C" mode works on that lower front AF switch. (The same switch that used to only have A & M on it, on the D90) This is how you switch from continuous and single focusing without having to take your eye away from the viewfinder.

And yeah, don't worry about the flash hotshoe cover, it just falls off anyway. I haven't used one in the ~6 years that I've owned DSLR's, Laughing.gif. I also haven't used the standard strap in years, either. I much prefer to simply use a hand strap. I have NEVER had a neck strap save a camera from a fall, it has only ever served to SNAG on things and CAUSE a fall. Which is why I stopped using them altogether... :-(

Alright, good luck out there!
    =Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    Nope, that's just what a professional shutter release feels like. ;-)

Perfect! I was just checking to make sure there was nothing wrong with the shutter button. I actually LOVE the feature because sometimes I would hit my finger accidentally on my D90 and it will just shoot. I wonder, if I could do this on my D90 as well...

I just have to say that I LOVE the camera!! the ISO capabilities are AWESOME!!!! and the colors and the way the shutter sounds (yea, I really like that sound). So so happy! thank you all for your advice.
    I am documenting a birth in two weeks and this camera will sure give me extra confidence :) in the low light room we will be in

Alright, good luck out there!
    =Matt=
    Thanks Matt :)
    GG
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    Perfect! I was just checking to make sure there was nothing wrong with the shutter button. I actually LOVE the feature because sometimes I would hit my finger accidentally on my D90 and it will just shoot. I wonder, if I could do this on my D90 as well...

I just have to say that I LOVE the camera!! the ISO capabilities are AWESOME!!!! and the colors and the way the shutter sounds (yea, I really like that sound). So so happy! thank you all for your advice.
    I am documenting a birth in two weeks and this camera will sure give me extra confidence :) in the low light room we will be in

Thanks Matt :)
    GG

Yes, the D90 works the same way, if it is in Single focus versus Continuous focus.

Of course, if the subject IS in focus, there is no way to stop the shutter release from doing it's job. ;-)

But yeah, I'd highly recommend reading up on the focus functions of both cameras, there's just so many different options, it's crazy. Autofocus is one of the few things that I actually bust out the camera manual for. Honestly, most of the rest of the camera operation is pretty intuitive!

=Matt=
    =Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    I have NEVER had a neck strap save a camera from a fall, it has only ever served to SNAG on things and CAUSE a fall. Which is why I stopped using them altogether... :-(

ditto!
    tom wise