Options

Carrying more equipment without looking like a tool

2»

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    also good is the Lowepro passport sling (not the backpack, but purse like bag) http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-Camera-Black/dp/B0039NLS4C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301602681&sr=1-1

it's not as padded, but it keeps a few lenses right on hand, which is perfect for most situations for me :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Wachel wrote: »
    People are spending crazy money on simple bags. It's worth your time to check out the Lowepro Messenger Exchange bag....$27. I was going to get a shootsac but then I figured I would try this since the price was right. I love it. It's not super girlie though if that is what you are looking for.

Great recommendation, just bought one on Amazon for £18!

BTW, shot a wedding for the first time purely with primes today, and I was definitely seeing the benefits of this type of bag.
  • Options
    formform Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I carry 2-4 cameras on me, sometimes with backpack and other times without. I bring lots of equipment into the ceremony/reception area, more than I can transport conveniently alone. Everything I bring has a purpose. I leave very few things in the car because that is the least accessible place for them to be.

I probably look like a tool because I carry so much equipment at any given time, but I don't really mind looking like a tool because at least it's something useful.
    Las Vegas wedding photographer: http://www.joeyallenphoto.com
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    I'm recovering (long time) from 2 neck surgeries & just as soon as doc releases me I plan to launch Co-Bear photography (can hardly wait). Knowing I can have nothing hanging from my neck I'm in search for the perfect combo. I bought the shoot sac & can't say I'm happy with it. Great idea & style but still puts to much strain on my neck/shoulders & I don't like it flapping around. I used to be a corrections officer so I'm used to wearing an officers belt & loved the convenience... but like others I'm concerned about the tool look. That said... my sweetie reminded me 'uh... your are a photographer and need your tools so what's the problem?'. He's so practical :-) Now if only I could find a cool looking stylish think tank like belt system lol. I have the womens black rapid & am in love with it. Absolute love. I began putting the 70-200 nikon lens case on a regular belt just to see... love that it doesn't effect my neck so I just purchased a think tank pro v.2 belt to try out & am attempting to figure out what accesories I need personally. The non-padding of think tanks mod set... how's that work out for you belt users? Do you prefer lowe pro's with padding?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Cindy wrote: »
    I'm recovering (long time) from 2 neck surgeries & just as soon as doc releases me I plan to launch Co-Bear photography (can hardly wait). Knowing I can have nothing hanging from my neck I'm in search for the perfect combo. I bought the shoot sac & can't say I'm happy with it. Great idea & style but still puts to much strain on my neck/shoulders & I don't like it flapping around. I used to be a corrections officer so I'm used to wearing an officers belt & loved the convenience... but like others I'm concerned about the tool look. That said... my sweetie reminded me 'uh... your are a photographer and need your tools so what's the problem?'. He's so practical :-) Now if only I could find a cool looking stylish think tank like belt system lol. I have the womens black rapid & am in love with it. Absolute love. I began putting the 70-200 nikon lens case on a regular belt just to see... love that it doesn't effect my neck so I just purchased a think tank pro v.2 belt to try out & am attempting to figure out what accesories I need personally. The non-padding of think tanks mod set... how's that work out for you belt users? Do you prefer lowe pro's with padding?
    Cindy, have I got news for you. I'm currently testing the EXACT product you're looking for! It's not out yet, but I have tested two pre-production models so far and the product is looking great.

It is a waist bag, but without the dorkiness of those lowepro lens pouches. Replaceable / designer covers, etc. Dang I wish I had a picture, but for now all I can say is that I've been shooting almost this entire wedding season with it and my shoulders LOVE me. I can even fit a 24-70 and 70-200 into the bag, although if I do there sure isn't room for much else. But I learn to work things out between my waist bag and my rolling camera case, and worst case scenario you can just add one of those small lowepro lens pouches.

Personally, I do also try and avoid the larger lenses altogether. I can get through most weddings with just a few primes and smaller f/4 zooms, no need for me to try and cram a 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, and a 17-35 2.8 onto my person at all times. I shoot most weddings with not much more than a 24mm f/2.8, a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, and an 85mm f/1.8. Sometimes in bright outdoor ceremonies, I bust out my crop sensor body with a Sigma 50-150 2.8. It's a minor inconvenience sometimes to not have a bristling arsenal of massive f/2.8 zooms, but as long as I bring my A-game creatively, the images still rock. Because even if we find ways to carry NOTHING on our person, we still have to HOLD the camera we're shooting with. I'm just not interested in those extra pounds.

I use this waist bag in conjunction with another belt system that I LOVE, the Spyder Holster. Officialy, I refrain from recommending this system 100% because it is such a huge departure from the traditional neck strap, and if you're at all clumsy like I am, it's a bit risky. But if you get yourself a good hand strap and pay attention to what you're doing, it is perfectly safe. If you're used to being careful with sidearms etc, the Spyder Holster is probably EXACTLY what you need. (I've tried the R-strap before, but I found even that to be cumbersome and still a shoulder problem.)

So, again, this system is not for everybody. If you're clumsy or a butterfinger, you should probably think twice. But if it's shoulder and neck pain that you want to eliminate, this is the holy grail.

I'll try and remember to share this waist bag with everyone when it becomes available. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011

My lesser expensive solution and things you are familiar with......Military Web Pistol belt (the 3-4 inch wide ones) and matching suspenders....mine was designated a Y suspender but is more of an H to me....from this I hag 2 Lowe Pro TopLoad 75Aw's (the most expensive part of the whole set up)...with this I can hold 2-Nikon D300's, one with 70-200f2.8 and tripod mount attached, SB900, Wireless shutter release, lens cleaning cloths, extra batteries....other cam is hold 18-70, SB900 extra batts and wireless shutter release.....

I looked at all the harness systems...LowePro, think tank and then decided I sould save a bundle to make my own.......

When I do not want to use the harness system then I go to my Optech Dual Camera harness for the cameras and lenses and my lowepro backpack to hold the flashes and all other accessories....

Hope you recover quickly...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    Cindy, have I got news for you...
    ...EXACT product you're looking for!
    ...EXACTLY what you need
    ...holy grail.
    I'll try and remember to share this waist bag with everyone when it becomes available. :-)
    =Matt=

You'll try and remember...
    ...after pumping me up like that, why you better remember or I'm hunting you down & running with your setup ~ lol jk ;-)
    Being that's it's still in the testing phase are you allowed to post pics? If so please, please, please do so. I'd love to see it. Any idea how long b4 it's released? If they need another tester feel free to send my info along. If it's as good as you say I know I'd be singing high praise. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    My lesser expensive solution and things you are familiar with......Military Web Pistol belt (the 3-4 inch wide ones) and matching suspenders....mine was designated a Y suspender but is more of an H to me....from this I hag 2 Lowe Pro TopLoad 75Aw's (the most expensive part of the whole set up)...with this I can hold 2-Nikon D300's, one with 70-200f2.8 and tripod mount attached, SB900, Wireless shutter release, lens cleaning cloths, extra batteries....other cam is hold 18-70, SB900 extra batts and wireless shutter release.....

I looked at all the harness systems...LowePro, think tank and then decided I sould save a bundle to make my own.......

When I do not want to use the harness system then I go to my Optech Dual Camera harness for the cameras and lenses and my lowepro backpack to hold the flashes and all other accessories....

Hope you recover quickly...

Thanks so much Art. I've been scouring the forum's and read about your set-up (and studied every word) several times now. Sounds like it really works good for you. I do like my belts with a bit of padding which is why I purchased the TT pro v2. I've had officers belts with & without a tad of pad and believe it when I say just a little padding goes alonggggg way (I'm kinda boney). Harness... hmmm possibly part time to relieve some of the hip weight but I doubt it. I won't be carrying a whole lot on me. I prefer 1 body with my 24-70-2.8, 70-200-2.8 (yes that's one heavy dude but I love love love that lens... havn't been able to use it much over the past couple years so I've been forced to use others & learned I actually can do without it... for part of the time anyway :-), 105-2.8 macro & part time 50-1.4
    I keep a SB-800 on a flash bracket as needed but hope to eliminate using the bracket as much as possible. It's such a space hog with no good way of toteing it while not in use. Thinking of keeping one on my belt for on camera bounce &/or fill light & another 1 or 2 if and as needed on stands. I don't have PW's yet but those beauties are on my wish list. I've yet to figure out exactly what each type does &/or what I need.
    I have the rolling TT airport international v2 so whatever extra's I might need will have to fit in it or stay home (excluding tripod which I rarely use, 2 stands & 1 reflector kit). Hope I can stick to my own rule but sometimes I'm bad about that - lol.

I hope my recovery speeds up as well. Still on a 15 pound weight limit mostly due to the first bone graft rejecting which required a second surgery. Hoping to be released within the next month or so but doc is playing it safe until he knows this grafts gonna hold which I'm glad for but wow I'm getting stir crazy with this waiting game :-)

Well enough rambling from me...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I keep a SB-800 on a flash bracket as needed but hope to eliminate using the bracket as much as possible. It's such a space hog with no good way of toteing it while not in use.

always glad to let people know how I have saved money on accessories.....I have eliminated the flash bracket (stroboframe RB4...very large and as you said...RoOm Hog)....with the SB900's mounted on lightweight light stands and running through the pop up as commander....this is for inside wedding and some studio work....since I run my 900's off Quantum Batters those are hung on the light stands as well keeping the weight off me.....now I do most of my shooting off hand instead of tripod mounted for weddings.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    You'll try and remember...
    ...after pumping me up like that, why you better remember or I'm hunting you down & running with your setup ~ lol jk ;-)
    Being that's it's still in the testing phase are you allowed to post pics? If so please, please, please do so. I'd love to see it. Any idea how long b4 it's released? If they need another tester feel free to send my info along. If it's as good as you say I know I'd be singing high praise. Thanks so much!
    I just talked to the guys and it'll be available for pre-order in a couple weeks, apparently. http://undfind.com is the site.

Sorry if I came on a bit strong lol, but it sounds like you'll be at least interested in checking out the belt system.

If you like a little more padding in your belt, I believe the spyder holster can also be mounted on a ThinkTank belt pack. I saw a TT belt laying around the studio the other day, so I'll try it out next time I shoot instead of the standard (and very un-padded) Spyder Holster belt. Maybe I'll love it!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2011
    I just talked to the guys and it'll be available for pre-order in a couple weeks, apparently. http://undfind.com is the site.

Sorry if I came on a bit strong lol, but it sounds like you'll be at least interested in checking out the belt system.

If you like a little more padding in your belt, I believe the spyder holster can also be mounted on a ThinkTank belt pack. I saw a TT belt laying around the studio the other day, so I'll try it out next time I shoot instead of the standard (and very un-padded) Spyder Holster belt. Maybe I'll love it!

=Matt=

Oh wow... now my interest is really peaked. Will it be made of the same type of material as their bags & like shootsacs? Just by looking through the pics, their bags look better made than my shootsac. I sat trying to figure a way to make my shoot sac into a belt bag but couldn't come up with any idea's that wouldn't ruin it or make it look way stupid. I do like that they cover the entire top. But again... no bag for me so I'm really looking forward to what their coming out with. Thanks Matt.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    Oh wow... now my interest is really peaked. Will it be made of the same type of material as their bags & like shootsacs? Just by looking through the pics, their bags look better made than my shootsac. I sat trying to figure a way to make my shoot sac into a belt bag but couldn't come up with any idea's that wouldn't ruin it or make it look way stupid. I do like that they cover the entire top. But again... no bag for me so I'm really looking forward to what their coming out with. Thanks Matt.

Yep, neoprene mostly. And the belt loops are designed to work on both regular / slim belts as well as the thicker, padded / tactical belts.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    =Matt=

Checking the site & still nothing... ugghhh... the suspense :D
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Checking the site & still nothing... ugghhh... the suspense :D

I think they're going to go live with their stuff within a week or so. They're working out some special launch deal and (hush hush) I think there might be a considerable discount for early orders. I was pretty surprised when they told me the price. I'll let you know where they end up posting the discount or whatever it is!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    Hey everybody! I just wanted to bump this discussion really quick to mention that the "ONE" system is finally 100% available. This is the bag system that I use at every wedding now:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1569311911/one-laptop-and-camera-bag-system

The promo is a REALLY good deal right now, I was very surprised at the price for the waist shooter that I really love. The shipping date is Feb 2012, though. I asked them about that and they said it would probably be much sooner.

BTW, I use the waist shooter bag in conjunction with the Spyder Holster system, as I mentioned previously. It pairs very well with any waist bag system, for those who have neck / shoulder / back problems.

=Matt=
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Matt, where do you you preorder this thing?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    Matt, where do you you preorder this thing?

I think, for the time being, pre-orders are through the Kickstarter site. The bags won't be available for direct purchase through the Undfind website for another month or two. (I'm not sure how the Kickstarter thing works but I guess they're just trying to rally a certain amount of sales...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    gotcha. I read up on the kickstarter deal.. thank you
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook