Options

DSS #90 (J) - 2nd try

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited December 1, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my 2nd try ... 2 different ideas for the word "Jewels". Opinions and input welcome... and needed! :D Thanks........

1. Classic Jewels
P1060583-jewels1-L.jpg

2. Family Jewels
P1060631jewels2-L.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    #1 just isn't grabbing me... and even tho you focus on the jeweled button... it's saying "sweater" to me. The idea with the ring has promise... but I'm not sure about the background. Maybe a different background? Or even B&W? :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    #1 just isn't grabbing me... and even tho you focus on the jeweled button... it's saying "sweater" to me. The idea with the ring has promise... but I'm not sure about the background. Maybe a different background? Or even B&W? :)

Or crop in on the ring in #2 and lose the top background!

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    #1 wouldn't be bad, but there is a lot of empty space and the jewelry is cut off, plus the V neck of the sweater is too prevalent. Reshoot it using the back of the sweater so you can't tell what it is. Rearrange the jewelry.

#2 needs a bit more...not sure what. Something to make the shot stand out.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I like how in #2 you've eliminated the other jewels to focus on the ring. I don't care for the fuzzy sweater--the fuzz distracts me from the jewels. Can you reshoot this ring, maybe even closer, on a plain background?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »

I don't know what to use.
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Or crop in on the ring in #2 and lose the top background!
    Don

I thought about cropping the ring. Do you think it would make it a lot better, or should I just start all over?
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    #1 wouldn't be bad, but there is a lot of empty space and the jewelry is cut off, plus the V neck of the sweater is too prevalent. Reshoot it using the back of the sweater so you can't tell what it is. Rearrange the jewelry.
    #2 needs a bit more...not sure what. Something to make the shot stand out.
    On #1 the jewels are sewn to the front of this button front sweater, so I can't use the back of the sweater or rearrange the jewels. I could crop #2. What do you think?

kdotaylor wrote: »
    I like how in #2 you've eliminated the other jewels to focus on the ring. I don't care for the fuzzy sweater--the fuzz distracts me from the jewels. Can you reshoot this ring, maybe even closer, on a plain background?

I don't have many options for backgrounds, but I have a black sweater I took a few shots with the ring. I wish I could see what you all are seeing.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I like the ring better - try shooting it on a table or counter, or maybe on a pretty plate, the bottom of a casserole dish or spray paint a carboard box. You don't need much of a background with the angle you're shooting, try a dark towel or blanket. Really nice focus & DOF.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Yah, or a piece of white typing paper or black paper or even a Kleenex...you don't need anything fancy...just something that does not take away from the subject by being too fuzzy, colorful or textured.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I like the ring better - try shooting it on a table or counter, or maybe on a pretty plate, the bottom of a casserole dish or spray paint a carboard box. You don't need much of a background with the angle you're shooting, try a dark towel or blanket. Really nice focus & DOF.
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Yah, or a piece of white typing paper or black paper or even a Kleenex...you don't need anything fancy...just something that does not take away from the subject by being too fuzzy, colorful or textured.

Ok.. I've edited one of my originals, and taken some more shots and have a 3rd try to offer... Are either one keepers, or even close? :)

2b. Family Jewels
    P1060631jewels2b-L.jpg

3. Family Jewels
    P1060686-FamilyJewelsB-L.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    2b or not 2b is the question? I say it is an improvement! :D :tumb

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    2b or not 2b is the question? I say it is an improvement! :D :tumb

Don

woohoo! :D Do you think #3 is good, or 2b is better? I can't decide which one to enter.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    2b thumb.gif

Don

• Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Of these I think 2b is the better choice as it is simpler. I still agree with the others though that a background even more plain would help the ring stand out. Also, playing with the light on the ring in some way as to highlight the ring's attributes might also be fun to try. I get the idea of #3, but it's too busy I think and the colors and shapes distract from the ring. GP
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    2B. If you are still shooting, shoot it on black.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Of these I think 2b is the better choice as it is simpler. I still agree with the others though that a background even more plain would help the ring stand out. Also, playing with the light on the ring in some way as to highlight the ring's attributes might also be fun to try. I get the idea of #3, but it's too busy I think and the colors and shapes distract from the ring. GP
    cbbr wrote: »
    2B. If you are still shooting, shoot it on black.
    2b thumb.gif

Don

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here is Try #4 taken with a black background. Is #4 better than 2b? Thanks for your input. :D

4. Family Jewels
    P1060744-JewelsonBlack-L.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    I like the black background, but the orientation of the ring in 2b is better. i.e. leading line of the rest of the ring left to right to the large diamond. If that could be reshot similarly and canted for top left to bottom right diagonal, you'd have a winning image, IMHO.

Don
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    I like the black background, but the orientation of the ring in 2b is better. i.e. leading line of the rest of the ring left to right to the large diamond. If that could be reshot similarly and canted for top left to bottom right diagonal, you'd have a winning image, IMHO.

Don

I agree. Black is much better, but the angle/lighting in the previous attempt was better. Combine them and you're on the right track!

Btw, think of the halogen spots they use in jewellers windows - there's a reason... REALLY makes teh facets in the gems sparkle. Play around maybe using an led flashlight or something - you might be able to really pick out the sparkle in it thumb.gif

ETA: The other thing which could be fun would be a background which reflects some light back up into the ring and adds even more sparkle. Haven't tried this, so don't know how/if it would work but could be fun to play with. Some sparkly silver wrapping or scrapbook paper, something like that? Just musings - may or may not work.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    I'm going to be contrarian here, and say I like #3 best so far. There is something funny going on in both 2b and 4 that bugs me - it looks like the ring and parts of the background are stippled, textured like a statue that's been out in the rain for ages. I'm not sure what's causing it (are either of those cropped way in?), but the effect is less pronounced in #3, and I personally like the card background.
    edited November 23, 2011

Don
    divamum wrote: »
    I agree. Black is much better, but the angle/lighting in the previous attempt was better. Combine them and you're on the right track!

Btw, think of the halogen spots they use in jewellers windows - there's a reason... REALLY makes teh facets in the gems sparkle. Play around maybe using an led flashlight or something - you might be able to really pick out the sparkle in it thumb.gif

ETA: The other thing which could be fun would be a background which reflects some light back up into the ring and adds even more sparkle. Haven't tried this, so don't know how/if it would work but could be fun to play with. Some sparkly silver wrapping or scrapbook paper, something like that? Just musings - may or may not work.

You want me to re-shoot it again? ;-) I may never get it right. This is the best I can do, I think. I used a halogen light to light the black background one and I must have taken 50 shots of it to get one image that was in focus just right. It may never happen again. There's amazing sparkle in both images plus reflected colors.

I don't understand why the grey background or the black bg aren't winning photos? They are both beautiful just like they are... Why aren't they good enough?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    red_zone wrote: »
    I'm going to be contrarian here, and say I like #3 best so far. There is something funny going on in both 2b and 4 that bugs me - it looks like the ring and parts of the background are stippled, textured like a statue that's been out in the rain for ages. I'm not sure what's causing it (are either of those cropped way in?), but the effect is less pronounced in #3, and I personally like the card background.
    Contrarian? Laughing.gif I'm confused really good now anyway. ;-)

I blurred the grey bg a bit so the ring would be more pronounced. The bg is actually a closeup of a knit sweater. I'm a poor photog, meaning I don't have much to work with as far as backgrounds or any special tools... so I use what I've got, which meant a sweater at the time I took the photo. Laughing.gif The black bg was a black blanket, but I took out the texture of it because no one seems to like it when I have texture in the bg.

You're the first to like #3... I liked it too. That's my problem. I like my 3 images as they are. Well, it's not like any of them are going to *win* anyway! rolleyes1.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    Well... I took some more shots on a white bg and some outside in my backyard with natural light.... I ran out of camera battery and can't edit til I charge up my battery! LoL I've been bitten by a bug with this ring photo. You guys and ladies haveinspired me to keep trying.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    WoW! Jenn! Your Photos have changed since last we met! Nice work!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    WoW! Jenn! Your Photos have changed since last we met! Nice work!

Really? :-D now, I'm excited!
    Thanks, Tom... I'm trying.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Ha - I'm agreeing with Jake here. I also like #3, but I'd like to see it in B&W.

Poor Jen - do this, do that!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Ha - I'm agreeing with Jake here. I also like #3, but I'd like to see it in B&W.

Poor Jen - do this, do that!
    Laughing.gif

OK I've gone outside and taken about 200 more shots.. can you believe it?? 200? Anyway, I gathered up some fall leaves and took some shots. This one turned out real good, I think...?

Opinions? Help? Laughing.gif

4. Family Jewels
    P1070047jewels-d-M.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    I really like the leaf background shot. The ring is nicely positioned on the 2/3 line, the depth of focus makes a nice foreground and background, and the leaf adds texture and reflected light. Also, I think because you're outside, there's more colors reflected in the diamond, which makes it a more dynamic subject.

Finally, though, it's what you want and like. My last entry got zero votes, but I still liked it very well.

Now for some technical camera stuff. I see from your post that you're using a panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, with the settings on jpeg-fine... that would be about an 8.5 megapixel camera.
    I wonder, though, about the pixelation I keep seeing on your photos. I went to your smugmug gallery and noticed that the size of the picture was only 717x581. I think you might be taking small pictures and that the camera can take much larger, clearer pictures if you set the size to something about twice that (or, the largest format available). If you aren't taking small pictures, then are you saving them smaller for the web? I know uploading large files can take some time and can be a pain, but I find that they view better when in larger formats. If you don't know what I'm talking about, there should be a menu on the camera that shows you the camera settings. One of those options is image quality (fine is the best) and one of those options is size.
    edited November 25, 2011
    I really like the leaf background shot. The ring is nicely positioned on the 2/3 line, the depth of focus makes a nice foreground and background, and the leaf adds texture and reflected light. Also, I think because you're outside, there's more colors reflected in the diamond, which makes it a more dynamic subject.

Thanks for the input red_zone. I've seen others talk about how outdoor natural lighting is better if the conditions allow, so I gave it a try. I took shots of the ring with various outside backgrounds including those fall leaves. Shock was my reaction when I actually had one that turned out, which is the one I posted. :D I was hoping I was on the right track. I can't believe how many times I took a photo of that ring just to get one that was better than all the others. Is it me just not knowing what I'm doing? What's normal as far as how many shots you take before you get a good photo?

Finally, though, it's what you want and like. My last entry got zero votes, but I still liked it very well.
    I think I got one vote on the last challenge... but I still liked my entry, too. Laughing.gif

Now for some technical camera stuff. I see from your post that you're using a panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, with the settings on jpeg-fine... that would be about an 8.5 megapixel camera.

I wonder, though, about the pixelation I keep seeing on your photos. I went to your smugmug gallery and noticed that the size of the picture was only 717x581. I think you might be taking small pictures and that the camera can take much larger, clearer pictures if you set the size to something about twice that (or, the largest format available). If you aren't taking small pictures, then are you saving them smaller for the web? I know uploading large files can take some time and can be a pain, but I find that they view better when in larger formats. If you don't know what I'm talking about, there should be a menu on the camera that shows you the camera settings. One of those options is image quality (fine is the best) and one of those options is size.

My settings allow me to go up to 7M. I was taking them at 1M, I think, then I tried 2M on this most recent set of photos. I'll try 5M for my next try. I've also been experimenting with different Metering & AF Mode combinations, too, along with different ways of steadying the camera so I won't move when I snap the shot. I've used the 2 second timer a lot and sitting the camera on something solid.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    +1 for the leaf background.

Why not just use the camera at maximum resolution - is there a reason you don't want to bump it up to its highest quality?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    +1 for the leaf background.
    Thanks on the +1 :D...
    Why not just use the camera at maximum resolution - is there a reason you don't want to bump it up to its highest quality?

I thought it was taking up too much memory in my camera... maybe it isn't. I can bump it up to the maximum... will it remove graininess? I thought it just made the photo larger in megabytes?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited November 25, 2011
    I second the recommendation to bump it up to the maximum. You like to do post-processing on some of your shots, and it's good to start with a high resolution image. :D

Good job on the ring, btw!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I second the recommendation to bump it up to the maximum. You like to do post-processing on some of your shots, and it's good to start with a high resolution image. :D

Good job on the ring, btw!

Gretchen

Maybe that's why I've had such a hard time getting a good image.... hmmm ... Thanks for the advice everyone... and thanks for the 'good job' Gretchen. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)