Options

How to NOT design a web page

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in The Big Picture
Unfortunately, the awesome school that my children go to has one of the most unfortunate web pages I have ever seen. Just try and find something on it.

I'd love to find a way for them to make it better, but I also don't want to just mosey into the school and tell them what they're doing wrong.

Colina Middle School
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Unfortunately, the awesome school that my children go to has one of the most unfortunate web pages I have ever seen. Just try and find something on it.

I'd love to find a way for them to make it better, but I also don't want to just mosey into the school and tell them what they're doing wrong.

Colina Middle School
    You're right - web pages don't get much worse than this. It's a shocker!

From a look at the home page, I'd bin the whole thing and start again, and keep the 'designer' of this monstrosity in solitary confinement throughout the process. But if you've absolutely got to work with what you've got, I'd get rid of all the animation, chuck the ticker, eliminate the slideshow, seriously cull the spurious volume of content on the home page, and completely replace that crass colour-scheme!
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    Don't mosey in and tell them they did it wrong.

Burst in and tell them their design is antiquated, wretched, revolting, and blech. That they should fire their web designer, and find someone with a clue.

Ok now that I go tthat out of my system. Who designed that thing? It's really bad.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Who designed that thing? It's really bad.

My kids' counselor. See? Diplomacy required.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    ne_nau.gif Forget dipolmacy I'd get the kid transferred to a new counselor before this artistically handicapped individual does serious harm to your child.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    Unfortunately, the awesome school that my children go to has one of the most unfortunate web pages I have ever seen.

GAAAhhh.!..my eyes...my EYES!!! :cry
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    Don't mosey in and tell them they did it wrong.

Burst in and tell them their design is antiquated, wretched, revolting, and blech. That they should fire their web designer, and find someone with a clue.

Ok now that I go tthat out of my system. Who designed that thing? It's really bad.
    if you say A N Y T H I N G....it'll be Y O U R J O B. Don't do it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    They have 12 year old counelors?????

Sam
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    Jeeze.....go easy on them. Maybe the kids designed it. It looks that way anyhow. rolleyes1.gif

Bear
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    it looks like it was done by me, after a long night of ribs at virgil's. and the ribs won.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    andy wrote:
    it looks like it was done by me, after a long night of ribs at virgil's. and the ribs won.
    forwarded to DavidTO lol8.giflol8.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    Hmmmm....looks like some software companies' attitude to development. Why redesign something when I can squeeze something in or bolt it on the side.

Sad but all too true.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2005
    andy wrote:

Well, it could be that Andy's trying now to get more humor on his Random Quote Generator...but I'll take what I can get.

Maybe I should change the name? At work we used to have the Wall of Shame for the stupid things people said. Any suggestions?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Reminds me of that home page Homer Simpson did.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    Humungus wrote:
    Reminds me of that home page Homer Simpson did.
    Bwahahahaaaahhaaarolleyes1.gif

That whole page looks like a pop up ad.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    It surely is bad. But I have seen worse. If you don't beleive me check out this
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    rahmonster wrote:
    It surely is bad. But I have seen worse. If you don't beleive me check out this
    rolleyes1.gif what are you reading woman to know about that site ?
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif what are you reading woman to know about that site ?
    Erm...Im a fish breeder....rolleyes1.gifWell I try to be its a hobby. Keeping fish is my other really expensive hobby.

• Options
    Well now that your laundry is out in public...i track & watch satellites.

There i said it !

I feel somewhat... grubby.
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    Well now that your laundry is out in public...i track & watch satellites.

There i said it !

I feel somewhat... grubby.
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    you are too funny.

you asked me how i knew that site as if it had dirty things on itrolleyes1.gif I double checked 3 times I put the right hyperlink inrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    rahmonster wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    you are too funny.

you asked me how i knew that site as if it had dirty things on itrolleyes1.gif I double checked 3 times I put the right hyperlink inrolleyes1.gif
    Fooling with peoples minds is my specialty...you passed. thumb.gif Storms predicted this week-end 'eh.
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    Fooling with peoples minds is my specialty...you passed. thumb.gif Storms predicted this week-end 'eh.
    suuupahhh. I'm hoping for some nice ones of the ocean while we are at wooli. Not really so I can take pictures I don't reallt have right gear for it. Just because I am a nut and I love watching them.

I'm sure i've seen a worse website somewhere but i cant remember it.headscratch.gif

• Options
    What camera have you got again ?

If it has a manual setting then it can do storms.
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    What camera have you got again ?

If it has a manual setting then it can do storms.
    Its a fuji s5500. Max shutter speed is 3 seconds.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    DavidTO wrote:

Colina Middle School
    I read the above posts before looking at the site and thought, it can't be all that bad. But then I looked at the site. :puke

The only good thing I can say about it is that it finally gave me a good excuse to use the South Park smiley.

You are in a delicate position, it seems. I gather you don't want to take over the site yourself. Perhaps the most diplomatic approach would be to look for some examples of better designed sites from other schools in your area. I'm guessing that should be easy enough to find. :D Then send the designer an email with links to the other sites and briefly explain why simpler is better. And let it go at that. After all, it really isn't all that important, is it?

Cheers,
  • Options
    rahmonster wrote:
    Its a fuji s5500. Max shutter speed is 3 seconds.
    It goes down to f/8...put it on that & see how long the shutter stays open.

Try it outside in the dark & practice a bit before a storm.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    School pages
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I read the above posts before looking at the site and thought, it can't be all that bad. But then I looked at the site. :puke

The only good thing I can say about it is that it finally gave me a good excuse to use the South Park smiley.

You are in a delicate position, it seems. I gather you don't want to take over the site yourself. Perhaps the most diplomatic approach would be to look for some examples of better designed sites from other schools in your area. I'm guessing that should be easy enough to find. :D Then send the designer an email with links to the other sites and briefly explain why simpler is better. And let it go at that. After all, it really isn't all that important, is it?

Cheers,

Think of the poor counselor who got kind of forced into doing this job and has to please everyone who wants "their" item on the front page. In fact there are no other pages at all and that's the problem! The person may not know how to add a second or third page.

What is the "approved" software the person is allowed to use, does anyone else update the page?

There can be a lot of school politics surrounding the web page that the counselor can't work around -- maybe an outsider could have an effect.

Showing local schools' pages might have some good purpose (if they are any good, that is).

My daughter's preschool website is also one big mess, primarily because it's not updated -- all parent volunteer.

So before you criticize this counselor, find the story behind the webpage first.

BTW I thought it was neat they have "bees" other than spelling!
  • Options
    Dee wrote:
    Think of the poor counselor who got kind of forced into doing this job and has to please everyone who wants "their" item on the front page. In fact there are no other pages at all and that's the problem! The person may not know how to add a second or third page.

What is the "approved" software the person is allowed to use, does anyone else update the page?

There can be a lot of school politics surrounding the web page that the counselor can't work around -- maybe an outsider could have an effect.

Showing local schools' pages might have some good purpose (if they are any good, that is).

My daughter's preschool website is also one big mess, primarily because it's not updated -- all parent volunteer.

So before you criticize this counselor, find the story behind the webpage first.

BTW I thought it was neat they have "bees" other than spelling!

This guy is very enthusiastic and full of energy. He's a great asset to the school. Very nerdly, too. Makes him kind of funny, all that nerdly enthusiasm. I'd like to help, but also understand that it takes diplomacy (dragon300zx).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,217 moderator
    The last time I saw that many animated GIF's on one page, it was on a site that only offered animated GIF's.

There should be a setting in my browser to disable those things, right?

Even so, that's a mess of a website.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    colourbox wrote:
    GAAAhhh.!..my eyes...my EYES!!! :cry

Can I have some tone to go with those bars lol3.gif

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    This guy is very enthusiastic and full of energy. He's a great asset to the school. Very nerdly, too. Makes him kind of funny, all that nerdly enthusiasm. I'd like to help, but also understand that it takes diplomacy (dragon300zx).

David,

I promise you no one has ever accused me of being a dipolmat.

However you sould setup a un-named email account. And send some of our comments to him along with some suggestions for improvement. That way you can be blunt and not have to worry about reprocussions.
    www.zxstudios.com