Options

Copy From SmugMug to a Forum in Google Chrome?

HoldyourfireAlHoldyourfireAl Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited February 20, 2012 in SmugMug Support
So far I love Google Chrome for its speed, BUT because I run www.statuemarvels.com, I need to be able to copy & paste images from Smugmug to threads on the site. Chrome won't allow me to do this simple task that I do often using Internet Explorer. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Al

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    So far I love Google Chrome for its speed, BUT because I run www.statuemarvels.com, I need to be able to copy & paste images from Smugmug to threads on the site. Chrome won't allow me to do this simple task that I do often using Internet Explorer. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Al
    Chrome works fine for copy/paste for me. Most forms allow you to insert an image via url. There are several ways of getting a link, including forum embedding under the 'share' button. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93254

Any additional information in the steps you're going through and a link to one of the images you're trying to post will help.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    In Internet Explorer, I go to a pic on my SmugMug. I get the size I want. I right click. I choose copy. I go to a thread on my website, www.statuemarvels.com, I right click & paste the image in a post. Success!

In Google Chrome, I go to a pic on my SmugMug. I get the size I want. I right click. I choose copy image. I go to a thread on my website, www.statuemarvels.com, I right click & paste the image in a post. Nothing happens.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    The key is to make sure that you are selecting "Copy Image URL" if you are using the right-click approach. You can also use the Share button as Rich indicated.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Nope! That didn't work!
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Not working either.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Will now try with IE...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Going to your gallery in Google Chrome, I click "Share" and then "Get a Link" and choose the Large Photo link, click "copy" and then I put it here:

Bowen-Designs-Captain-America-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Also try the "Embeddable links" tab in Get a Link - that gives you the BB Code tags already built into the copied link: Here's a small size:

Bowen-Designs-Captain-America-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    That didn't work for me, but I had never bothered with share previously as I just right clicked, copied & pasted in a post on my board. That's what I'll do next here...
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Bowen-Designs-Captain-America-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Works as usual! THIS is what I cannot do in Chrome so far. I desperately need your help!
    :)
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Andy - I wonder why this works for you, but not me? Besides that, I really don't want the hassle of using the share button, especially if I'm posting a lot of pics. Here's an example of one of my threads:
    http://www.statuemarvels.com/f312/bowen-iron-man-4-pack-arrival-pics-pt-1-a-7538.html
    Speed is important when I'm posting a lot of pics. Copy & Paste is a life saver! I just want to be able to perform the same task in Chrome.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    I think the problem is how you are pasting. Andy is pasting using the image button which wraps the image in the write code to appear as an image not a link. It is the button that looks like a mountain. insertimage.gif When you click that in the resultant dialog box paste the image URL.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    I think the problem is how you are pasting. Andy is pasting using the image button which wraps the image in the write code to appear as an image not a link. It is the button that looks like a mountain. insertimage.gif When you click that in the resultant dialog box paste the image URL.

Is there just a way that I can copy & paste like I do using IE?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Is there just a way that I can copy & paste like I do using IE?

Of course. But we think you are missing adding the necessary BB code.

[*IMG]yourlink.jpg goes here[/*IMG]

ingore the asterisks.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Of course. But we think you are missing adding the necessary BB code.

[*IMG]yourlink.jpg goes here[/*IMG]

ingore the asterisks.

Andy - I know how to do that, but again, it's a time thing. In IE, I simply right click, copy & paste the pic to a post on my site. So far, this does not work using Google Chrome. Is there a way to make it work?

Thanks

Al
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Andy - I know how to do that, but again, it's a time thing. In IE, I simply right click, copy & paste the pic to a post on my site. So far, this does not work using Google Chrome. Is there a way to make it work?

Thanks

Al

Al, we're all making it work just fine - even from Google Chrome. I'm not sure why your Chrome is different than ours, but if you right click, grab an image link ending in .jpg, and if you're sure that you are putting in proper IMG and /IMG tags, it'll embed just fine in forums.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Al, we're all making it work just fine - even from Google Chrome. I'm not sure why your Chrome is different than ours, but if you right click, grab an image link ending in .jpg, and if you're sure that you are putting in proper IMG and /IMG tags, it'll embed just fine in forums.

Andy - I don't think anyone is getting my question. In IE, I can go to an image in my SmugMug, right click, copy & paste it in a post on my site. I can't do this in Google Chrome. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Al
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Andy - I don't think anyone is getting my question. In IE, I can go to an image in my SmugMug, right click, copy & paste it in a post on my site. I can't do this in Google Chrome. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Al

And many of us are saying, we can right click, copy in Google Chrome and paste here just fine.

Oh, be sure to use "copy image url" The below was right-click copied from Chrome on Win7.

Bowen-Designs-Captain-America-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    I just tried copy image url. It did not work.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    I just tried to copy image & paste it in MS Paint. That didn't work either. Weird. I so do not want to go back to IE...
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    You have to either use the insertimage.gif or insert the IMG tags as [*img]yourimage.jpg[*/img] removing the asterisks to make it work. Using your link I can insert the image as seen below.
    418863837_gUk3N-L.jpg
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    I just did a Google search on this issue & it seems to be a problem for MANY folks. Glad I'm not losing my mind!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    You have to either use the insertimage.gif or insert the IMG tags as [*img]yourimage.jpg[*/img] removing the asterisks to make it work. Using your link I can insert the image as seen below.
    418863837_gUk3N-L.jpg

Brad - I don't want to do that. They are extra steps that I do not need to do when copying & pasting using IE. To be clear, I want to be able to go to an image in my SmugMug, right click, copy image & paste it using Chrome. This simple task is not working in Chrome.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Sorry Al, I have no other ideas but if you are not able to paste into Paint or other programs, it sounds like a Chrome limitation.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    I just tried to copy image & paste it in MS Paint. That didn't work either. Weird. I so do not want to go back to IE...

It sounds like you're using the IE copy option which copies the actual photo to the clipboard. That's available in Chrome, too. Just use the "copy image" option. I just tried it and using copy image in Chrome, I was able to paste the photo into MS Paint just fine.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero