Options

Cheap lenses or a cheap body?

ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited March 1, 2012 in Cameras
I'm curious, I've seen a few blog post's online that say one thing or the other. Some people think a cheap body and quality glass will yield far better images than a good body with cheap glass. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited February 27, 2012
    For the majority of photographic pursuits, and amongst things you can control, it's lighting first, followed by an appropriate lens for the task, and the camera body is mostly important just for photographic specialities. For general photography, most any body "may" be just fine.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Depends on how cheap the body is but, in the conditions, glass will win. The body will win in cases where the limits of the sensor technology are exceeded. So, if you are shooting in ISO 200, f/4 realms, then an inexpensive body with a great lens will get more crispness and better contrast in the image. When you get into low-light, the two get tied together. Let's say your cheap class is f/5.6 and your good glass is f/2.8 and you don't really care about DOF, so you want to be as wide open as possible. That's two full stops difference so your expensive camera with the f/5.6 would have to be at ISO6400 against the cheap camera at ISO1600 f/2.8. May be a win for the cheap camera still (depending on how cheap/old the cheap camera is). Now, if you need ISO3200 and f/2.8 to get the light, then you need both, the quality sensor and quality glass. Putting cheap glass on a high-end camera won't really unleash the quality you have paid for, so if you are looking for an investment arc, get the glass first then a new body to really unleash the glass. Getting the body first only makes sense if you have to replace the body and you know you'll be investing in quality glass soon. Note that the "kit" lens for the Canon 5Dmk2 is the 24-105 f/4L -- a really amazing lens.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    How cheap is cheap? And, for shooting what? I'd rather have a rebel and a good prime than a full-frame camera and a 4-5.6 kit zoom, for casual personal photography. I'd rather have a rebel and an EF-S 10-22 for landscapes, than any cheap-o full-frame wide angle lens.

But, wedding photography? No Rebels, thank you very much. I'd rather have a Nikon D700 and the new f/1.8 AFS-G primes, than a beginner DSLR and ANY f/2.8 pro zooms. Yes indeed. In fact I'd rather have a third-party f/2.8 zoom than a Nikon kit 4-5.6 zoom.

The question is, how much do you have to spend, what will you shoot, and how serious are you about photography?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited February 27, 2012

But, wedding photography? No Rebels, thank you very much. I'd rather have a Nikon D700 and the new f/1.8 AFS-G primes, than a beginner DSLR and ANY f/2.8 pro zooms. Yes indeed. In fact I'd rather have a third-party f/2.8 zoom than a Nikon kit 4-5.6 zoom.

Same goes for sports/action. I started getting very good good keeper ratios once I purchased "both" a sports lens "and" a sports body. (That was a Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM plus a Canon 1D MKII body.) It's all about the right tools for the task. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    I was just asking out of curiosity. I've come to realize that for my purposes I can't afford to cheap out. I'm just to sure whether to go Canon or Nikon.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    I was just asking out of curiosity. I've come to realize that for my purposes I can't afford to cheap out. I'm just to sure whether to go Canon or Nikon.

Nikon. Easy enough!

;-)

Okay, really, it depends what you shoot and how the camera feels to you. I prefer Nikon for what I do. (Weddings professionally, landscapes and adventures casually)

And indeed, in both situations I prefer to have roughly equally good lenses and camera bodies. The whole "amazing lenses on a mediocre body is better" is really ind of a misnomer; because there really are no "bad" lenses these days. Just mediocre ones and great ones, although even that is second to the specific function of the lens. (prime vs zoom, fast aperture vs extra range, etc. etc. THAT is what I'd prioritize when getting equipment...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Glass first.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012

I prefer Canon DSLR's but I agree lens are important. Most choose a particular lens for different situations and some inexpensive (cheap?) lens are actually pretty good.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I prefer Canon DSLR's but I agree lens are important. Most choose a particular lens for different situations and some inexpensive (cheap?) lens are actually pretty good.

What is it about Canon that you like better than Nikon?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    I switched from Canon to Nikon about 6 months ago. Sold my 5Dmk2/7D for D700 and a player to be named later (D800/D4 once I figure out which route I want to go). What got me over the hump on making the switch was ultimately the ergonomics of the body. I shoot manual most of the time now, and when I'm not, I'm shooting Aperture-Priority. On the Canon, when I'm shooting Manual, the finger wheel is my shutter speed and the thumb wheel (which is way too far away from the grip) is my aperture. Very uncomfortable to control. Then if you switch to Av, the finger wheel becomes the Aperture, so you get this toggling of function. Never could find a control function that let me swap the controls for Manual... Nikon is consistent and well-placed. The thumb wheel is on the back near the top (where your thumb is) and the assignments of the finger and thumb wheels don't change based on mode.

As additional perks, I've found the general programability of the Nikon system to be more flexible (assigning control buttons on the camera body) and the AF works better in low light (no head-to-head compares, just a sense). Though I went from 24Mpix down to 12Mpix, I'm not feeling a loss in fidelity. As someone pointed out at 30x24 @ 200dpi you need 27Mpix to get there, however there is a trade-off here. One is you can do resizing (which is pretty good in LR) or try the RealFractals (which is now OnOne's Perfect Resize) to get to the large sizes when you need to. From an optics point of view, you shouldn't be viewing a 30x24 so close that you need that much resolution. There have been several articles written about how the dpi requirements drop as the size increases. That said, you will have clients who take their freshly printed 60" portrait and hold it up to their nose...

On Canon I liked the 580EX2 flash better than the SB900. It didn't have the thermal issues the SB900 suffers from. You can work around them, but the 580EX/2 just worked. Nikon is shifting on the D4 (and perhaps the D800?) to decoupling FEC and EC so if you use a flash while shooting in S/A modes, adjusting the ambient EC doesn't effect the FEC. Not sure why they did that in the first place, but at this point in my photo life, I don't shoot flash in anything other than manual now, so not a big deal. If you think you'll want to go with pocketwizard's TT1/TT5, note that the 580EX/2 puts out so much RF you have to put RF mitigation stuff around it to not mess up the radio signals. PW sells the stuff you need, but it is an annoyance.

Both systems will enable you to make stunning images, and both systems have really amazing glass. For me, my really sore thumb was what got me to make the switch, and I've be very happy with the thoughtfulness of the system design on Nikon.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    I would get cheap lenses before a cheap body. No contest.
    Cheap lenses used optimally will do a good job for most subjects.

Of course low light, wide open. You need a great body and great lenses.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    What is it about Canon that you like better than Nikon?

Join a local camera club and you will see. I shoot with a bunch of Canon, Nikon, Sony people. On photowalks many times we are all shooting at the exact same thing and invariably the one's shooting with Canon just look better. And that's with less expensive bodies and lens!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Join a local camera club and you will see. I shoot with a bunch of Canon, Nikon, Sony people. On photowalks many times we are all shooting at the exact same thing and invariably the one's shooting with Canon just look better. And that's with less expensive bodies and lens!

That's because the PROS are all using Canon :D
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »

I prefer to trust decisions / opinions made by people who have been able to handle both cameras *themselves*, not two separate people who have spent very little time actually using the other brands. Second of course to shooting with both brands YOURSELF, which is what I prefer. :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    I prefer to trust decisions / opinions made by people who have been able to handle both cameras *themselves*, not two separate people who have spent very little time actually using the other brands. Second of course to shooting with both brands YOURSELF, which is what I prefer. :-)

=Matt=

I prefer it MYSELF - that's why I choose Canon !
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Egad: not this argument.

My old paper's main camera was a nikon. I used it, and even bought new stuff when I was there. I see little difference between the two, these days.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    I've given a lot of thought and looked at lenses, accessories and bodies for both and have decided to go with Canon. I went to my local camera store and tested a few models and really like the ergonomics better with Canon.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Really... this argument again??
    If I shot a photo with a Canon and then with a Nikon. I am sure it would end up looking pretty much identical after I processed it.
    Just different color tools.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    I've given a lot of thought and looked at lenses, accessories and bodies for both and have decided to go with Canon. I went to my local camera store and tested a few models and really like the ergonomics better with Canon.

There ya go! That's the way to choose (Canon) :hide

Glad you were able to try them both and choose what you like! :)

Ben
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Congratulations on the new gear. What body/lenses did you end up getting?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Bendr wrote: »

Ben

Either way I'm upgrading since I'm leaving my crappy sony DSLR behind.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012

This is exactly my biggest problem with Nikon vs Canon - Nikons ergonomics aren't that good to me, especially the messy menus. And I'm a macro freak so I want the MP-e 65 lens with full functionality :)

Yes, let us know what gear you've gotten :) And if you need advice on any I may be able to assist.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    This is exactly my biggest problem with Nikon vs Canon - Nikons ergonomics aren't that good to me, especially the messy menus. And I'm a macro freak so I want the MP-e 65 lens with full functionality :)

Yes, let us know what gear you've gotten :) And if you need advice on any I may be able to assist.

Well i havent purchased it yet. I sent adorama my sony a330, a flash, two lenses and my old 35mm minolta vectis with two lenses.

Im hoping i will get at least 400 for everything plus about 200 in my own cash.

I might get the xsi, t1i or the 40D. Im not getting a very expensive
    body so I can get a few lenses and a grip.

If I can save enough I can hopefully buy my self a 7D for Christmas.

Part of the problem I had with Sony was the ergonomics. I have huge sausage fingers and it would eventually hurt because it was kind of small and oddly shaped. Lack of support and lack of gear prompted my move away from Sony as well.

adbsgicom wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new gear. What body/lenses did you end up getting?
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    If you have big hands, you should get the 40D. The grip is SO much bigger than the Rebels. You should be able to find one for $400 or a little more. A good starter lens is the 50mm 1.8 II. I've found that I love the 24mm f/2.8 on crop bodies... and it's pretty cheap too (at least used).
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    I'd get the 40D for sure out of the list you gave. No question.
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Cheap anything isn't a good idea...

If you value AF accuracy, especially in low light, Nikon is your only choice. There are some things that Canon is generally better at, but shooting people/sports/other moving objects definitely isn't one of them.

Up until the release of the D3, Canon had an absolute death grip on the pro sports shooter market, but since then, you don't see nearly as many ugly white lenses in the endzones anymore...

rolleyes1.gif

...and as far as cheap body or cheap lens? I shot a Nikon D90 for 3 years while I built up my pro glass arsenal. Now the D90 belongs to some guy on the Mexican border, and I'm still shooting away with my f/2.8's...

Don't cheap out on glass! But you don't have to buy it all at once, either...
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Bendr wrote: »

Ben
    If you value AF accuracy, especially in low light, Nikon is your only choice. There are some things that Canon is generally better at, but shooting people/sports/other moving objects definitely isn't one of them.

Up until the release of the D3, Canon had an absolute death grip on the pro sports shooter market, but since then, you don't see nearly as many ugly white lenses in the endzones anymore...

rolleyes1.gif

...and as far as cheap body or cheap lens? I shot a Nikon D90 for 3 years while I built up my pro glass arsenal. Now the D90 belongs to some guy on the Mexican border, and I'm still shooting away with my f/2.8's...

Don't cheap out on glass! But you don't have to buy it all at once, either...
    Is it really that crappy with canon?
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012

Laughing.gif !rolleyes1.gif
    Nikon D90 is one of the worst for people and sports ! (and low light!)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    In the pro/semipro realm, yes Nikon is gonna do better. But under $1000 I think they are similar. The Canon 7D is supposed to have excellent AF. I've used the 5D2 center point in low light and have been fine. The other 5D2 points are so close to the middle anyway.