Options

My First Show - how, when, where and what (pix to be displayed)

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited March 18, 2012 in Landscapes
I have my first individual exhibit coming up in March and I wanted to share the details. Rather than simply posting the flyer I created, our mods suggested I turn this into a thread about how the show came to be which I thought was a great idea. Here goes...

I moved to this town in 2008 for work and shot the few landmarks in town to the point where I decided to venture to nearby communities to satisfy my need for new landscapes to capture. In August 2010, I came to the realization that many of the things I was driving to shoot (the first example was kids diving off piers into the water) could be found in my town. I also kept getting lost and figured photography would help me sort out and better explore this new home town of mine. I figured I would be lucky to find enough material to post once per week and had a day off Wednesday from my real job and so 'Wednesdays in Marblehead' was born.

Over the next year, I found numerous opportunities for landscape photography within the 20 square miles that make up this seaside town. We really did have it all - ocean, harbor, lighthouse, old houses, piers, ponds... you name it. I became a member of the local art association and was invited to take part in group shows where I displayed 5 pieces each time.

A few months ago, the director of the arts association approached me about having an individual show. This would take place in a beautiful old mansion (built in 1728) and I was given the coveted parlor room to hang 15-20 framed prints. The show begins in March with an opening reception on Sunday, March 11th from 2-4pm. It would be great if Dgrinners could make it! Below are the photos that will adorn the walls with a brief write up of each.

From the Rooftops
August 2011 marked the one year anniversary of my project to explore the town of Marblehead through my photography. It coincided with my discovery of the numerous rooftop decks and widow walks that dot the skyline of the town. I set out at that point to explore the options for shooting from these unique vantage points.

During the months that followed, I was astounded by the generosity of those who invited me into their homes to see and later share the views that their decks offered.

I have now photographed from the decks of bed and breakfasts, private homes and, on New Year’s Day, the cupola of the Old North Church. Here you’ll see a select group of my favorite rooftop views collected over the past six months.

MAA-Show-7-L.jpg

MAA-Show-11-L.jpg

MAA-Show-8-L.jpg

MAA-Show-6-L.jpg

MAA-Show-4-L.jpg

MAA-Show-5-L.jpg

Fourth of July
Marblehead has one of the most incredible fireworks displays I have ever seen let alone had the pleasure of photographing. I have favorite photos from each of my three years in town and fond memories of capturing the dazzling displays that erupt over the water each year. In 2011, I was fortunate to witness and capture a sequence of fantastic scenes.

This began at sunset as I sought out views from Fort Sewall and captured a scene of clouds and colors making for a dramatic image over Gerry Island. I quickly headed down to Front Street afterwards to photograph the lighting of the flares that is unique to our town’s celebration. The tide and boats combined to make for another great scene.

I then walked back up to the Fort and set up behind the gathered crowd to photograph the beginning of the show. In past years, I had included people in my fireworks shots and really liked how it made for a more intimate scene. I chose to do the same with this year’s image and love the added dimension that this provided.

MAA-Show-9-L.jpg

MAA-Show-3-L.jpg

MAA-Show-2-L.jpg

Black and White
The Lamp Post image was one that I had in mind for over a year but needed conditions to be just right in order to pull it off. On the evening of November 27th, I stepped out of the house and noted the coming fog. I quickly headed to Devereaux beach and explored the unique view of a sunset seen through a layer of fog. I then moved to the causeway and set up to capture the arc of light emanating from these lamp posts. As I explored various compositions, I noticed a couple walking towards me, I shot a few frames as they advanced and managed this one in which a distant car’s headlights served to backlight the people and add an element of contrast to them. I processed the image in the style of film noir which seemed to suit it perfectly.

MAA-Show-1-L.jpg

Long Exposures
With a limit of twenty square miles in which to photograph, I have found the need to expand my photographic techniques to offer new views of our town. Recently, this has included long exposures with shutter speeds measured in minutes rather than tenths or hundredths of a second. Taking two, four or even eight minute exposures makes for a challenging endeavor as the light will fluctuate during the shots as will elements such as clouds. The beauty of this photography comes from the effects that can only be seen in these long scenes: water becomes silky smooth and the clouds make streaks in the sky. My first two subjects include the pier at Edgemore road and the house lining Little Harbor as seen from Doaks Lane.

MAA-Show-1-2-L.jpg

MAA-Show-2-2-L.jpg

Sea Smoke
I had heard, but never actually seen, sea smoke before January 15th. Photos of the eery mist coming off the ocean water fascinated me but also eluded me all of last Winter. When I saw that January 15th was predicted to be the coldest day of the Winter, I knew this would be my best chance to capture the image. I drove down to Front Street (after a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts) and saw an incredible amount of smoke coming off the water. The air temperature that morning was 3° F which, when combined with the 14 MPH winds, made for a wind chill of -15° F. The occasional gusts of 28 MPH? Those made it feel like -21° F!!!

I took a number of photos of Childrens Island, a lone boat in the harbor and, of course, the lighthouse. At 7:32 AM, the sun finally peaked out of the clouds and shone over the water making the smoke look like it was on fire. The show lasted for a few seconds at most and, in this image, you can make out the pink sun rays behind the lighthouse and see the effect on the water.

MAA-Show-10-L.jpg

The Supermoon
In March 2011, the moon made its closest pass to the Earth in 18 years. It was coined the Supermoon and I, as well as a number of other photographers, ventured out to photograph it. I remember watching an NCAA basketball game on my iPhone while waiting for the moon rise with my tripod set up at Lovis Cove. The rise was indeed great but I had no idea how amazing the setting moon would be. I woke the next morning and drove out to Chandler Hovey Park. There I set up my tripod again and watched the moon slowly fall from the sky. I kept moving my tripod to get the angle right and, at 6:35AM on March 20th, grabbed this one frame of the moon nestling against Abbot Hall. This remains one of my favorite images that I have taken over the past 4 years.

MAA-Show-1-3-L.jpg

Thanks for reading this and congratulations on making it all the way through :wink - ended up a bit longer than I thought it would be

Comments

• Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Some really great shots. 8 is by far my favorite and then 12 and 13. Congrats on the show!!!!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 26, 2012
    Terrific post, Eyal, and congrats on the upcoming show. Excellent collection of photos. I think it's terrific the way you involved the community in your decks & balconies view project. Now your neighbors will feel a connection to your photography and hopefully buy a few prints. deal.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Excellent narrative and beautiful images. Good luck with the show!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited February 26, 2012
    Congratulations on your first exhibit clap.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Simply awesome... beautiful work and great stories. Makes me want to go out and explore my town in a different way... been here so long it all seems so boring! Congrats on the show!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Very nice shots.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,905 moderator
    edited February 26, 2012
    Some excellent work here. Numbers 8, 10 and 11 are my favorites and #10 is a gorgeous concept and composition. A real show stopper! thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,272 moderator
    edited February 26, 2012
    Congrats on the show! You've created some gorgeous images, wonderful.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the kind words. Now just have to hope for good weather and that Facebook/Twitter/Google Plus/Dgrin/Website/Print media/word-of-mouth bring everyone by to the reception
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    1 4 10 14 are my favorites from the set.
    I like all those quite a bit.
    10 and 14 are special shots.
    Nice work overall and thanks for the story line.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Great set and congratulation on the exhibit. I really love the sea smoke. I'm going to try and get out to the exhibit on Sunday if possible.
  • Options
    CrokeyCrokey Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    congrats on the show. Some awesome shots in there.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Congratulations, and I agree that you have some terrific shots. Thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    congrats on the show... it's really nice when you get a chance to show your work in a gallery setting. i really love the last one in this set... the only nit would be perhaps i might prefer the moon just a hair above the buildings, and a teensy bit to the left of the tower, just enough to show the full disk. still, a stunning photo. #7 and 10 are excellent also.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Congrats, you have a fantastic body of work to be displayed. I will try to make it up there on 3/11 since I'm only 1.5 hours away.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Thanks again everyone.
    Tom and Bryan - it would be awesome if you guys were able to come out
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Eyal,

We are planning to visit your show but can not make it for the opening. We want to combine a visit to your show and a stop at the Peabody Essex to see the Jerry Uelsmann exhibition. Have you seen that show yet? I really like the concept you came up with for this series. We are looking forward to seeing your prints.

Knapp and Ella Hudson
    Portland, ME

• Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    That's awesome Knapp - thanks for making the trek. And thanks for reminding me about the PEM show. I had read about it months ago but forgot it was going on now. I'll have to head over there.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Wish I could be there. Did you do your own printing?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    I was away last week and the great folks at the Arts Association put all of my work up for me mwink.gif
    I had a chance to view the space for the first time today and was amazed to see it. Here are two quick iPhone photos to show everything hanging up.

IMG1848-L.jpg

IMG1846-L.jpg

And to answer Lauren's question, all printing was done at Bay Photo with frames from framedestination.com
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    It must be an amazing feeling to see your work hung like this! I'm glad the foggy promenade shot is large and distinguished over the fireplace--it is one of my all-time favorite DGrin shots. Thanks for the print info--I use Bay Photo also.

Congrats again!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    very cool. thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Excellent exhibit. Wish I were closer to see it in person.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Thanks again everyone. It really is awesome to see my work hanging up in a gallery...let alone one in a nearly 300 year old mansion. Now I just need to hope that people come out to see it...

Oh and to correct my text above, the town is actually 4.5 square miles of land (Wikipedia includes water in its square footage calculation). I thought 20 seemed pretty larger.
  • Options
    PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    These are wonderful!!!! I wish I could be there for you to support you. Congrats on your first show. Let us know how it turns out.

Darryl
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • Options
    Rob DouglasRob Douglas Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Congratulations on the show. Wish you great success. It's really nice to get a chance to make such a connection with your town like you have, especially in a small community like where you are. The icing on the cake is to have such an amazing setting to showcase your beautiful work.
    1D Mark IIn | EF 28-70mm 2.8L | EF 50mm 1.8 | 580EX
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    What a great show! Turns out the Arts Assoc was celebrating its 90th anniversary this month and had an evening reception last night to kick things off. Had 130 people come through and look at my work on Saturday.
    Today, had another 130 or so come by for the opening reception including our very own Bryan (bryanj87) and Tom (hawkeye978). It was great seeing you guys in person and talking about the prints. Also had a number of professional photographers who reside in our town come by and offer great comments on the work.
    And, as a nice bonus, I sold the Lamppost shot as well as The Pier!!! Prints stay on display until April 7th so hopefully that will translate into a few more sales and interest in my work.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited March 11, 2012
    Sounds like a great show!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Beautiful work! Congratulations on the show.
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    What a great show! Turns out the Arts Assoc was celebrating its 90th anniversary this month and had an evening reception last night to kick things off. Had 130 people come through and look at my work on Saturday.
    Today, had another 130 or so come by for the opening reception including our very own Bryan (bryanj87) and Tom (hawkeye978). It was great seeing you guys in person and talking about the prints. Also had a number of professional photographers who reside in our town come by and offer great comments on the work.
    And, as a nice bonus, I sold the Lamppost shot as well as The Pier!!! Prints stay on display until April 7th so hopefully that will translate into a few more sales and interest in my work.

It was great to finally meet you as well and congrats again on the show. The prints look fantastic.