Options

Canon 5DMK III - who is going for it ? Why ?

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Ok, Andy, that makes YOU the go-to guy for user reports. You will share, right?? RIGHT?????????? :D
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Ok, Andy, that makes YOU the go-to guy for user reports. You will share, right?? RIGHT?????????? :D

Oh like it even matters... We're all going to want one regardless!!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    People who are getting it please post your feedback and if possible side-by-side review with 5DmkII will help some of us who have not yet played with either.
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Think I'll do the same as with the 5D2, wait a year for all the bugs to be ironed out and for the price to drop, then pick one up at the Focus show at a bargain price next spring.
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    I have also preordered the 5d3 at a local store here in Toronto (Vistek), and they confirmed that they should be receiving way more 5d3s than the number of pre-orders. The lady on the phone explained that they did not get tons of preorders compared to when 5D2 came out. I guess the price tag is the main cause of this, specially that Canada will be selling them $300 higher than the US... I should be getting this by Friday next week..

Actually I am reading the official 5D3 Manual now... http://canonites.com/canon-eos-5d-mk3/canon-eos-5d-mk-iii-manual-english.pdf
    Getting familiar with it already
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    I just found out that the 5D mk3 has one of the GREATEST FEATURES EVER, a feature that unfortunately you Canon shooters didn't even know you were missing. I posted about it on SLR Lounge: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-5d-mk3-feature-instant-11-image-playback-zoom-cameratalk-w-matthew-saville

This is definitely the 2nd-most exciting feature (to me) about the 5D mk3, second only to the new AF system. Yeah, the other features are awesome, dual card slots, improved ISO, etc. But those were all kind of the "given" ones that I already expected. But this is BIG. This is like, I could switch and wouldn't miss Nikon much at all. Too bad it's $3500 and a 2nd used D700 (with flagship AF and this one-click function) ...is just $2200.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    I just found out that the 5D mk3 has one of the GREATEST FEATURES EVER, a feature that unfortunately you Canon shooters didn't even know you were missing. I posted about it on SLR Lounge: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-5d-mk3-feature-instant-11-image-playback-zoom-cameratalk-w-matthew-saville

This is definitely the 2nd-most exciting feature (to me) about the 5D mk3, second only to the new AF system. Yeah, the other features are awesome, dual card slots, improved ISO, etc. But those were all kind of the "given" ones that I already expected. But this is BIG. This is like, I could switch and wouldn't miss Nikon much at all. Too bad it's $3500 and a 2nd used D700 (with flagship AF and this one-click function) ...is just $2200.

=Matt=

Nifty feature, I agree :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    It wasn't 10 minutes after we started that the Card reader stopped reading some cards and was incredibly slow on others. We had 2 cameras running and a handful of cards, to keep things moving quickly we were just card shuffling between each group of people. After taking a couple minutes to look at the cards and the card reader, I saw that 2 pins had been bent. Nothing broke thankfully. After noticing the 2 bent pins, I looked at the cards more carefully and 2 cards had one of their square holes partially covered with plastic. Preventing the pin from inserting properly. We ended up being able to bend the pins back in place with a knife, but it happened again and again, then a pin broke so we made a quick run to buy a new card reader. First card someone put into it, same thing, they bent a pin. Was able to bend the pin back straight again, then had to have a talk to show people what was happening so we could all be more careful when inserting to not have it happen again.

I shoot a D300 and it uses the CF card. I have tried quite a few different card readers and ran into the same situation you mentioned above. What I found was that most card readers have the pins too close to the opening allowing the holes of the card contact the pins before the card is properly aligned. If the card is not properly aligned, the pins will be off center to the holes in the card and cause the pins to bend if the card is forced in. I got tired of wasting money on card readers that had the same problem, so I did some research and found a card reader that has the pins set further back inside. I don't remember the model, but it's a Lexar, it's white, it has 5 different slots, and when not in use you just push down on the reader and it like retracts into its own case. Push in on 2 tabs on the side of the case and it pops back up ready to use. I forget where I purchased it, but I think I paid around $30.00, and have yet to have a problem with pins bending. I'll see if I can find the model # if anyone is interested.

GaryB

Model # is LRW024URBNA I attached an image of what it looks like.
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    My copy is coming my way! wings.gif
    Also ordered a few 600x CF and SDHC cards from B&H to enjoy faster read/write speeds of the new processor... :D
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    My copy is coming my way! wings.gif
    Also ordered a few 600x CF and SDHC cards from B&H to enjoy faster read/write speeds of the new processor... :D
    I ordered on the 4th and got notification of shipment and a UPS tracking number from Adorama yesterday. But the payment has yet to hit my credit card (just shows as pending) and the UPS tracking page says that it knows about the package but hasn't seen it yet. headscratch.gif

For those looking for side by side with the mk2, if I get it on Monday, like one of my tracking apps is predicting, then I'll be able to do it with the mk2 I have on loan from CPS. But if it doesn't get here on Monday then I'm sure someone else will be able to do it (since CPS wants their camera back). deal.gif
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Quite a few posts - including some II/III comparisons - in the gear forum here at dgrin, above thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    I am going to get mine TODAY! I am trying to decide if I get to use it for tonights e-session.... Or if the controls are that much different from my MK2 to need more practice first. I dunno!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I am going to get mine TODAY! I am trying to decide if I get to use it for tonights e-session.... Or if the controls are that much different from my MK2 to need more practice first. I dunno!

Congrats! Looks like Alaska is closer not only to Russia, but to Japan, too, cause you guys seem to be getting it in swarms!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012

clap.gif. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I have actually already played with one for a bit... My second shooter got his on Wednesday, so went over and fiddled with it... :) Lets just say, those higher ISO's are jawdropping. If I remember right I shot a couple at 12500, and the noise was better than his 7D photo at 1600.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    I have actually already played with one for a bit... My second shooter got his on Wednesday, so went over and fiddled with it... :) Lets just say, those higher ISO's are jawdropping. If I remember right I shot a couple at 12500, and the noise was better than his 7D photo at 1600.

I can't wait until the next wedding! 12800 5D3 is better than my 7D at 2000...by quite a bit.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012

Heather,

Can I come on over to try out the 5D3? :D Alaska is right around the corner from NJ.. right?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I'll just sit here and drool quietly ;)
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited March 23, 2012
    i'll just sit here and drool quietly ;)

+1
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    Sad! I had to reschedule tonight's e session due to the blizzard that met me at the site....eek7.gif....... So I have it but didn't get to officially play! Tomorrow.......
    So I asked my camera shop why we get them before the rest of you, and apparently he is the only local dealer, and canon releases a certain number of bodies per region. And since our local camera addict community is a "bit" smaller than elsewhere... I decided only this morning to pick one up and got it this afternoon... For once living in Alaska has a 'product availability' perk.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    Sad! I had to reschedule tonight's e session due to the blizzard that met me at the site....eek7.gif....... So I have it but didn't get to officially play! Tomorrow.......
    So I asked my camera shop why we get them before the rest of you, and apparently he is the only local dealer, and canon releases a certain number of bodies per region. And since our local camera addict community is a "bit" smaller than elsewhere... I decided only this morning to pick one up and got it this afternoon... For once living in Alaska has a 'product availability' perk.

I'm shooting a military homecoming tomorrow morning! My first official shoot with my 5D3!!! You should come! ;)
    Michael

Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    So, my first impression is that the controls are quite a bit more advanced than the mk2. I played with it for a couple hours yesterday in some pretty terrible lighting, and it performed awesomely!

The focus is sooo quick... Though with all those millions of af points it seems like you limp on over to the spot you want rather than the zippy 9pt I am used to. Not that it is a bad thing, I'll just have to adjust.

The controls are a lot closer to the 7d than the mk2, so my learning curve is a bit More than for those that are transitioning from the 7d. I would say that I will need several days of practice with it to change my finger's memory on the settings before i use it professionally. Image quality is stellar! One unusual difference is with image playback... The zoom controls are not the two buttons it was before...it is now the top wheel.

I hate the software I have to use until adobe gets their rear in gear and gets me my cr2 upgrades... It is pretty miserable.

However... I feel like it is a very worthwhile purchase! I love how sturdy it seems, even compared to the mk2. And I love my dual slots. :)
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Heather, did you see the discussion of the ALO feature (Auto-lighting-optimization) and the Canon proprietary software? You may want to have a look at that convo... It's here (shots in post #78, and then conversation about DPP and ALO processing goes on from there.... verrrry interesting indeed thumb.gif)
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Heather, did you see the discussion of the ALO feature (Auto-lighting-optimization) and the Canon proprietary software? You may want to have a look at that convo... It's here (shots in post #78, and then conversation about DPP and ALO processing goes on from there.... verrrry interesting indeed thumb.gif)

I saw that and I plan on looking into that as well! I just hate the DPP software!
    Michael

Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Me too, but the results Josh is getting :jawdrop Yes, the photographer IS the most important part in the image chain, but his examples using ALO+DPP are pretty darned impressive. I'm going to try it on my 7d and see what happens; given that it doesn't affect the raw files EXCEPT when they're edited in DPP it seems to me to be a no-brainer to switch on the feature and use it if I ever have an image that needs it. No harm, no foul and all that thumb.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    So, my first impression is that the controls are quite a bit more advanced than the mk2. I played with it for a couple hours yesterday in some pretty terrible lighting, and it performed awesomely!

The focus is sooo quick... Though with all those millions of af points it seems like you limp on over to the spot you want rather than the zippy 9pt I am used to. Not that it is a bad thing, I'll just have to adjust.

The controls are a lot closer to the 7d than the mk2, so my learning curve is a bit More than for those that are transitioning from the 7d. I would say that I will need several days of practice with it to change my finger's memory on the settings before i use it professionally. Image quality is stellar! One unusual difference is with image playback... The zoom controls are not the two buttons it was before...it is now the top wheel.

I hate the software I have to use until adobe gets their rear in gear and gets me my cr2 upgrades... It is pretty miserable.

However... I feel like it is a very worthwhile purchase! I love how sturdy it seems, even compared to the mk2. And I love my dual slots. :)
    If you're in a clutch situation and you need fast-action AF control, add the options for AF points to your quick menu. You can turn down the number of accessible points, so as to scroll around the viewfinder MUCH faster. I do this quite often with my D700; we had to get used to flippin' 51 dang AF points years ago. Just like you said- it's powerful, but jeez it takes forever to get across the viewfinder. (or, Auto-wrap helps with that. SO you can go from the far left to the far right with a single leftward click; not sure if Canon has that option though...)

Good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    So...

I need to do some retracting.. I still want the 1D X. But new glass, lights, and a 5D3 seems like a more attractive thing than just a single camera body. I will still continue to lust for the 1DX.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    Mine shows up today. I am just praying that I beat UPS to my house and don't have to wait until the truck gets back to the depot late tonight. I was playing with my 7D versus a 5Dmk2 loaner I have from CPS last night and the differences between just those two were interesting. (7D being a focusing star compared to the 5Dmk2 in my mind.) I cannot WAIT to see the comparisons with the 5Dmk3 tonight. :ivar
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    To all you 5D3 owners,

I am coming over.

Ted
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    To all you 5D3 owners,