Options

Swim school Photos. Anyone done them?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    The deal so far at full time with overtime to come this weekend looks like this:

Only shot 420 Kids, quite a bit down on the 740 enrolled but adds up to the poor attendance due to the weather lately. Indoor pools will be more stable.
  • Options
    ParpParp Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2012
    Sample images??
    I do this kind of thing on a far smaller scale for swim schools in the UK. I would love to branch out into larger scale schools, but am really curious about how the images come out. I use backdrops, topside strobes and such to get a 'studio' feel. Yours seem to be more stripped down which is what makes it viable, in my eyes. I'd love to see a sample image to see whats achievable. Here's what I do (a case of I'll show you mine if you show me yours)
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    small scale v big scale
    Hi Glort

Thanks for replying - wasnt sure if this thread was dead and buried but the time and effort youve put in makes it a keeper.

Thanks also for the nice feedback, yes the backdrop means I need a small area of the pool cordoned off, and Im also a stickler for water clarity so I book a pool and hold shoots there, groups of 5 or so at a time in half-hour slots. I use just a standard fabric backdrop which needs weighing down with diving weights, but it gives a good billowing effect with the water movement. I use battery strobes, so no h&s to worry about here :-)

Moving to larger scale like you do would make that impractical, for sure. Id need camera-mounted flash (currently use off-camera) and the backdrop and topstrobe would have to go. Im approaching swimming clubs and schools to see what the level of interest is, I'd have to sacrifice margin for quantity, but it seems a very worthwhile venture if you can get pools and clubs onside.

So do you take pictures mid-lesson? A kind of fly-on-the-wall, reportage feel to the shots? I'm impressed by your can-do attitude to it all, but youre right. Wheel in expensive-looking equipment and people assume you can do the job and just let you get on with it!

Anyhows, looking forward to seeing what is achievable in such a short space of time. And thanks!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Glort,

Thanks for posting the images. The first one is spot on. The others have a very distinct and distracting (in my view) white balance issue. I color corrected two in PS just to see the effect and I thought it was well worth the minor effort.

If you have software like LR3 or LR4 you can batch correct this in a flash.

I understand your composition, background limitations and based on the speed ( do you actually get wet?) of your shooting I think it's a good job.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2012
    Thanks for making the effort, Glort. I love the bottom-of-pool shot :)

Yes theyre very good considering your limitations on time and space.

I'm approaching some places and we'll see what happens - I've gotten some great ideas from this. If I get the nod from anyone I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!