Options

A good camera strap?

13»

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    as a heads up, the Luma Loop is back in stock for anyone who was considering ordering one: http://www.lu.ma/catalog
    no promises on how long! saw a batch in January sell out in half a day!
    //Leah
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Hi all
    Does anyone here know where i can get my camera strap personalised with my name on it?

I've been thinking about getting one from http://www.mycamerastrap.com/
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    866988221_Hcxbv-XL.jpg

1/8" parachute cord. Not for everyone, but has no plastic clips (plastic clips = BAD) and doesn't get in the way like many of those big wide straps tend to.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I used the cotton carrier on my trip to Anatolia. Did some "climbing" with it- not mountain climbing or anything, but up some rock faces and places where a "swinging" camera could be an issue (I smacked my old 20D against many a sharp object). The locking mechanism is rock solid, and its easy to disengage.

http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-camera-system-p/100ccs.htm
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    1 point tactical rifle sling

the best strap i've ever used

d700tactical.jpg?t=1304823985
    My Website:www.SGphoto.us
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I've been using a BlackRapid strap for a few months now - I'm not sure the model number, it's the basic one, but I don't have the packaging any longer. I won it as a door prize at my camera club dinner, so the price was right to check it out. So far, it's been comfortable enough when using it, but I haven't done an all-day, 12 hours on the flight line, air show session, carrying my 100-400mm lens, so I don't really know how it will be - that comes in a couple of weeks.

There are a few things that bug me about it. First is the connection - I do enough night/tripod work that it's a hassle to unscrew it, and I haven't found an adapter plate for my tripod (an Induro) that will let me easily swap it out. When I have a short lens on the camera, I sometimes grab the end with the lens, getting finger prints on it. But perhaps the biggest issue I have is that from time to time I find that from raising or lowering the camera from my side, the mode dial gets shifted (I'm shooting with a 40D). That's not such a big deal if you have time to check your setting and prepare your shot, but when an airplane is buzzing by at 400mph, and you swing the camera up to catch it as it goes by, it's a little disconcerting to find that the camera is not in the last setting you left it. Even for more typical shots, it sometimes takes a moment to figure out why the camera isn't reacting to changes I'm making to shutter or aperture controls, only to find that the mode wheel has been turned to one of the automatic settings...

Prior to this, I've used an OP/TECH strap, and found it comfortable and hassle free. And may I add, my SM Pro strap is pretty sweet too!
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Justiceiro wrote: »
    I used the cotton carrier on my trip to Anatolia. Did some "climbing" with it- not mountain climbing or anything, but up some rock faces and places where a "swinging" camera could be an issue (I smacked my old 20D against many a sharp object). The locking mechanism is rock solid, and its easy to disengage.

http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-camera-system-p/100ccs.htm

Love my Cotton Carrier... and my Black rapid straps. I only break out the CC when I really need it. Glad I own one though!
  • Options
    LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

I clicked on your link, its says the straps are out of stock and you can click on a link below to fill out a form......I dont see any link? Does Smugmug offer other items? I dont see anywhere for a Smugmug store.
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Lou, I just tried that link, and while it shows the "out of stock" message, it also showed a form to fill out for stuff. I've received a couple of straps before, and I was logged on to my SM site, so my information was already populated in the form. You might want to log into your site, then try the link. The link will get you on the list to receive an SM camera strap, and I remember when I got my first, they threw in some SM stickers as well. I don't know that they sell SM merchandise, but I'll leave that for someone more knowledgeable to answer definitively.

ETA: I logged out of my site (actually, there was a "logout" button on the top of that order page) and when I returned to the page, I didn't get the form at the bottom. Click on the "log in" button at the top, log in with your SM site log in info, and you should see the order form.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    I actually got the BlackRapid Dual straps in April. I am not so happy with them. I think it maybe my shooting style and not so much the strap...but still, it may not be good for you either if you shoot as I do.

I like to be constantly moving...kneeling up/down, bending one way or the other way..just to get different angles and different views. I also like to shoot vertically with my battery grip. The Blackrapid fails in all those. Especially when I have dual cameras with one 70-200 on one side. Few times now when I knelt, I felt the bump on my camera with the 70-200 hitting the floor. That's not cool.

And they swing about wildly even with those clips that are supposed to stop them from moving about. While walking through tight spots, the constant motion of the camera with the lenses was a pain.

While shooting vertically, it is a challenge. It just doesn't fit right. And if you are like me and constantly moving your focus point around in a composition...good luck with vertical. It is very uncomfortable.

Lastly...I didn't think I would worry about not having instant capability to put the camera on a tripod since I move so much...it has begun to limit me.

Sorry to say, but I am going to be returning my blackrapid straps. Looking at the Cotton Carrier or SpiderHolster system now.

:)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    DarrakDarrak Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2011
    Love my Black Rapid :)
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    wildviper, if you are kneeling that much... shorten the straps! you can keep them close to your torso and still accessible. I do that for more active shots.
    //Leah
  • Options
    LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I have the Sun Sniper, looking at the black rapid, the sun sniper looks just like. I love it.
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    wildviper, if you are kneeling that much... shorten the straps! you can keep them close to your torso and still accessible. I do that for more active shots.
    I did try that...however that created another problem...then I couldn't grab them like Clint Eastwood when I was shooting regularly...

No happy medium. :(
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    The quickrapid strap has a different connector than the blackrapid with a couple of advantages. Firstly, it has a threaded hole in the bottom of the screw, allowing you to mount it to a tripod without removing the strap. This is only suitable for normal sized lenses though, as having the screw in between the tripod and camera makes it a little less steady than normal. Secondly, the strap attaches to a metal bracket that can be aligned in a direction you choose, which can help to encourage the camera to hang in a particular way. I've attached a snap.
  • Options
    OnkertjeOnkertje Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    Allow me to revive this topic from last year.
    Due to a weak neck, I'm looking towards a sling (BlackRapid or Sunsniper).
    But my 15-85 lens has lenscreep so she always extends when pointing down. Extended means more risk of hitting something while swaying around.

Does anyone uses creeping lenses on a BlackRapid ?

Are there any alternatives (holsters are also pointing down ...).
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited July 18, 2012
    You may also want to look at the Op/Tech "Dual Harness", which hangs the camera by its normal strap lugs/attachments. If you have a vertical grip attached there's a good chance that the lens won't droop at all.

http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html

http://youtu.be/v7zWH9qkiYs

The chest strap is optional and I don't need to use it in many cases.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    m a r km a r k Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Onkertje wrote: »
    Allow me to revive this topic from last year.
    Due to a weak neck, I'm looking towards a sling (BlackRapid or Sunsniper).
    But my 15-85 lens has lenscreep so she always extends when pointing down. Extended means more risk of hitting something while swaying around.

Does anyone uses creeping lenses on a BlackRapid ?

Are there any alternatives (holsters are also pointing down ...).

I use a Tamron 18-250 lens as my walkabout and this has always suffered from creep

I have however managed to fix this problem with the use of one of those silicon wrist bands you get for the various charities/ebay positioned around the neck of the lens such that it provides just enough extra grip to stop the creep.
  • Options
    OnkertjeOnkertje Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    I'm gone try the silicon wrist band - tric this weekend. Looks a great idea and simple sollution.
    Does anyone know if you can harm the lens by putting too much pressure on it (by using the silicon wrist band) ?
  • Options
    m a r km a r k Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    2 years and no problems so far but if it's too tight for your lens then it's not going to work (you won't be able to turn it) so you won't leave it on so no damage done.

The fix isn't that it squeezes anything. It's that it sits over the 2 moving edges and thus creates friction.