Options

Suggest a Waterproof P&S Camera

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 18, 2013 in Cameras
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a waterproof P&S camera to compliment my DSLR gear. My wife and I do a lot of travelling. We are pretty active during our trips and I need a waterproof P&S to go places I don't dare take my DSLR.

Honestly, I don't care so much about the picture quality of underwater shots as much as I do of the photos taken above water. This will be my wife's primary camera. She kind of serves as our "2nd shooter" during out trips so it's important that the camera take good photos. My main priority is that the camera have good low light performance and a decent zoom range but nothing ridiculous. A plus would be the ability to shoot in RAW format and also in manual or at least aperture/shutter priority. Neither is a deal breaker though. Oh... and price is really not a consideration. I'm willing to pay for a good camera.

Thanks in advance for you help. Let me know if there is any additional specs you need.

- Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    No experience with waterproof cameras, sorry, but I did find this recent survey of some: http://www.lenstip.com/134.1-article-Waterproof_cameras_test_2012_-_part_I.html
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I'm in the same "boat" as you... I don't really care about bells and whistles, or even image quality for that matter, but one thing that I *DO* care about as a DSLR owner and photography lover is, the wide angle. It seems like all P&S cameras are either 36mm or 28mm, barely any go wider than that! I found the Panasonic TS20 that has a decently wide 25mm angle, although it is f/3.9 or something lame. Good stabilization though and decent image quallity up to ISO 800 / 1600. The best part is, it's $139 these days so I got that and an insurance add-on for $160 or so. Not bad! So far the images seem to be pretty nice too. Haven't put it to the torture test yet though.

As a DSLR-loving photographer, you may also be interested in another one of the "indestructible" cameras out there, I forget which one it is but it's got an f/2.0 wide end, which is awesome. Depends on what is important to you, I guess.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 28, 2012
    Some time ago I bought my son a FinePix P&S and a DiCAPac case, based on a tip from a DGrinner (Martyn). While it was not optimal for underwater, it did work, and out of the DiCAPac it was a normal camera.

For occasional use I feel that its a workable solution.

http://www.dicapac.com/products/products.asp?idx=74&bcate=1&scate=3&tcate=0

http://www.dicapac.com/gallery/pictures.asp
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    No experience with waterproof cameras, sorry, but I did find this recent survey of some: http://www.lenstip.com/134.1-article-Waterproof_cameras_test_2012_-_part_I.html

Thanks. I give that link a look.
    I'm in the same "boat" as you... I don't really care about bells and whistles, or even image quality for that matter, but one thing that I *DO* care about as a DSLR owner and photography lover is, the wide angle. It seems like all P&S cameras are either 36mm or 28mm, barely any go wider than that! I found the Panasonic TS20 that has a decently wide 25mm angle, although it is f/3.9 or something lame. Good stabilization though and decent image quallity up to ISO 800 / 1600. The best part is, it's $139 these days so I got that and an insurance add-on for $160 or so. Not bad! So far the images seem to be pretty nice too. Haven't put it to the torture test yet though.

As a DSLR-loving photographer, you may also be interested in another one of the "indestructible" cameras out there, I forget which one it is but it's got an f/2.0 wide end, which is awesome. Depends on what is important to you, I guess.

=Matt=

Matt,

We're on the same page. I do want it to be water proof since we do a lot of water activities while on vacation and I always like have a camera with me and I don't want to have to fuss with a WP case. I do agree on the need for a wide angle. I want to be able to use this camera for candid lifestyle shots but also for the quick landscape or creative shot where going wide is needed.

I've considered getting a cheaper camera with insurance so if it gets damaged, no biggie but that won't really help if it gets hosed early on in my trip. I experienced this when we went for a 5 week trip to Asia. I dropped my only DSLR down a flight of stairs on the 2nd day. The lens mount got bent on both the body and a the lens that was mounted. Both were repaired but it took 4 of the 5 weeks. What a heartbreak. I ended up buying a D700 a couple days later so I was covered but I don't want it to happen again. Mind you, this will be a secondary camera but still, would rather buy something I can take in the water without to much risk of it breaking.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Some time ago I bought my son a FinePix P&S and a DiCAPac case, based on a tip from a DGrinner (Martyn). While it was not optimal for underwater, it did work, and out of the DiCAPac it was a normal camera.

For occasional use I feel that its a workable solution.

http://www.dicapac.com/products/products.asp?idx=74&bcate=1&scate=3&tcate=0

http://www.dicapac.com/gallery/pictures.asp

Will check this out Zig.

Thanks guys.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 28, 2012
    There are many that fall into the $350 price range. The Nikon AW100 is one. Canon has a similar, the Dsomething. Olympus has several models.

Originally, I'd looked at the Nikon. However a friend of mine bought a Sony and is pretty happy with it. The Canon has nice ergo feel but kinda sucks picture quality wise I need to look at the Sony as the picture quality is pretty good-not sure what the model is.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    How about a GoPro HD2?
    I've been at one of those, for just about everything from swimming, cycling and motorsports.. Granted, there's not even a viewfinder (which may steer you away).
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2012
    The GoPro, while waterproof, isn't really all that easy to use. It's meant more for set and forget use-plus, no easy way to frame the image without getting the back-pack for it.

Sony TX200V.
    Nikon AW100.
    Canon D20.
    Olympus TG 820.
    Olympus TG 1 iHS.

The TG1 is the f/2.0.

Not a huge fan of housings for everyday carry. A housing also requires diligence with regard to the seal or you risk flooding the camera. The same holds true for any P&S that goes below it's threshold.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2012
    Have a GoPro already. I agree with Ian on it's use. Had it for our last vacation to Hawaii. Took quite a bit of video. Have yet to watch one second of it. Laughing.gif. My wife insists on taking video though. I guess it gives her the warm and fuzzies just knowing we have the video because she hasn't watched it either.

Ian... I found a consolidated list of the latest waterproof/rugged camera with links to reviews on CNET. I think all of the ones you have listed are on there. Reading through the reviews now. So far, the TG1 is in the lead.

Here is the link for those interested

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6501_7-57428068-95/best-waterproof-rugged-cameras-and-camcorders-compared/

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2012
    Those (the exception of the TG1) are the cameras I've been looking at. I just saw the TG1 this weekend. Interesting camera.

Thanks for the CNET link. I hadn't seen that before.
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I just ordered a TG1 from Bestbuy yesterday (that camera is hard to find right now and even back ordered at Olympus.com). It's supposed to be shipped to my local store in the next day or two. I'll be sure to do a mini review as soon as I get it. I bought it for use in Hawaii as a goof off camera so I don't have to worry about my DSLR all the time. I thought the F2.0 was intriguing and initial reviews have said the pics are some of the better that they've seen on an underwater P&S.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Matt,

We're on the same page. I do want it to be water proof since we do a lot of water activities while on vacation and I always like have a camera with me and I don't want to have to fuss with a WP case. I do agree on the need for a wide angle. I want to be able to use this camera for candid lifestyle shots but also for the quick landscape or creative shot where going wide is needed.

I've considered getting a cheaper camera with insurance so if it gets damaged, no biggie but that won't really help if it gets hosed early on in my trip. I experienced this when we went for a 5 week trip to Asia. I dropped my only DSLR down a flight of stairs on the 2nd day. The lens mount got bent on both the body and a the lens that was mounted. Both were repaired but it took 4 of the 5 weeks. What a heartbreak. I ended up buying a D700 a couple days later so I was covered but I don't want it to happen again. Mind you, this will be a secondary camera but still, would rather buy something I can take in the water without to much risk of it breaking.

I guess I wasn't clear- the Panasonic TS20 that I spoke of is indeed a waterproof, "indestructible" model. For only $139.

However if your budget can stretch further, towards $300-400, then I'd consider that other one I mentioned with the f/2 lens... I went ahead and looked it up for ya...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/08/Olympus-Tough-TG1-iHS-rugged-waterproof-shockproof-12MP-compact-camera

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    I guess I wasn't clear- the Panasonic TS20 that I spoke of is indeed a waterproof, "indestructible" model. For only $139.

However if your budget can stretch further, towards $300-400, then I'd consider that other one I mentioned with the f/2 lens... I went ahead and looked it up for ya...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/08/Olympus-Tough-TG1-iHS-rugged-waterproof-shockproof-12MP-compact-camera

=Matt=

Thanks for the follow up Matt. I read through a bunch of reviews yesterday and at this point, I think it's going to be the TG1-iHS. I'll probably pick it in the next couple weeks so I will let you guys know what I think.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    ...always like have a camera with me and I don't want to have to fuss with a WP case ...

I looked at getting a wp cam about a year ago but ended up getting a used Ixus 65 + proper (Canon wp) housing off ebay.

Whilst I can appreciate the 'fuss' aspect, the case is superbly built (imo) and inspires confidence in use ... and when not needed, mrs pp has a perfectly acceptable handbag cam (which she's used a fair bit since)

pp
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    I went throught this a few years ago when I wanted to buy a waterproof camera for my son. After much research, I wound up buying the Panisonic Lumix DMC-TS2 . A sweet little camera which takes surprisingly good photos. The only problem is that after just one year, it had a problem with leakage through one of the door seals. Turns out this is a known problem with this camera with multiple reports on the internet. When I suggested to Panasonic that this was a design flaw, their only response was that I should have replaced the door seals annually. eek7.gif

I was able to dry out his camera and it now functions normally. It still takes great photos, but it is no longer waterproof. Do not buy.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    Interesting info Mitchell. As I mentioned, I'm currently about to pull the trigger on the Olympus TG1-iHS. I've read all the reviews available online and it's seems to be the best "Rugged" camera on the market right now. My wife currently has a WP Olympus. I don't recall the model but we've had it for about 4-5 years. Never had any issues with leaks. It still works great, it just kind of sucks in the PQ area, really slow lens and suffers from shutter lag.

I feel pretty good with my decision to go with another Olympus.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    When I was looking, the olympus WP camera was noted to have poor IQ and was due for an overhaul. Sounds like they finally got around to it.

A waterproof camera can be quite handy. My son's has surprisingly good IQ. Here's a shot of my family climbing a waterfall in Jamaica during a torrential downpour. Definitely not a DSLR activity or weather!
    749041957_KAfVZ-M.jpg
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    I've got 2 Panasonics.
    TS4, which I took down to 40'. Took a bunch of shots and video.
    Also TS20, which is rated to around 15'.
    IQ is decent, not great.
    Only issue above water is the small lens can get finger prints which will distort shots.
    Nothing to clean it off with in the water.
  • Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    Thumbs down on Panasonic TS3
    We bought the Panasonic TS3 for sports related snapshots with no intentions on any serious photography. I had to send it back to Panasonic three times due to warranty issues. This camera was ostensibly shock resistant and waterproof, but multiple versions have had many problems. I honestly just prefer using a good quality Canon P&S like the S90 or S100 or G12 and a nice Canon waterproof housing. I have gotten used to the slight inconvenience of using the housing and the camera's are better.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2012
    Thought I'd update you guys. I received the Olympus TG 1 iHS today in the mail. It's charging as I type so I haven't really done much with it. I did handle it and my initial impression is that it's well built. One thing I was surprised to see is that the lens doesn't have a retractable cover like other P&S I've owned. It does appear to have a clear "filter" over the front lens element though.

I plan on playing around with it tomorrow in the pool. Maybe I'll do a mini review of it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2012
    My review of the Olympus TG 1 iHS (sorry to jump ahead of Anonymous!).

OK, got to start out with some comments on their quality control on this camera. I purchased it locally from Bestbuy since they had it in stock which made it very easy to exchange thankfully. It had three major issues during the first use. The sensor was filthy. I could shake the camera and move stuff all over the sensor straight out of the box. Lots of nice large shadowy circles in the sky. Artsy I'm sure, but very annoying. The camera must be charged with an included charger. I would prefer a plug in wall charger that I can remove the battery and stick it into, but I was happy to plug in the camera and have a car charger to charge as I'm driving around. The problem, the charger would not stay in the charging slot on the camera. I would plug it in, walk away, and hear "boink" and the camera would be unplugged. Too much space around the connector and charger and flat wouldn't stay in. Finally, there was a horrible nonstop ticking noise in all of the HD video I shot. Didn't matter if the camera was sitting on a table without anyone touching it or if I was holding it. So, I took the camera back after two days of use and got an exchange. The new camera, so far, has not had any of these issues.

OK, now for the review. All pics are straight out of camera. :D

Since this camera is designed to get wet, let's play in the water first. In general I've been pretty happy with what the camera can do and not to surprised at what it can. The camera does a great job in bright daylight of course, but if you are on the surface of the water (i.e. paddleboarding) at 10:00am in the morning, expect huge contrast issues between your subject and surrounding water. Setting the magic mode or scene modes to beach/snow seemed to help.

I think this was automatic setting:

P9030163-L.jpg

Beach setting (I think):

P9030165-L.jpg

You can see it picked up the clear water of Tahoe and the beautiful colors of the water. My other tough cameras have never been this good for grabbing those greens and blues.

P9030171-L.jpg

An example of the sensor specs in the sky. Also, don't expect super duper detail in the distance from the little sensor, but I'm still very happy with it.

P9030178-L.jpg

But, can it survive under the water? Of course it can, and I was very happy with the colors that came out when set for underwater mode.

Got to get down there first of course.

P9030214-L.jpg

Monsters of the deep. About 10 feet down. Too shallow to go any deeper and it was only sand anyway. I love the colors which looked better in the pics than what I remember seeing through my mask.

P9030238-L.jpg

P9030257-L.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it overall in non-aquatic pics too. It can shoot off pictures like no ones' business and did a pretty good job of staying in focus on moving objects. Still shots were decent, but again, compared to even my friends S100, this camera cannot get the dynamic range that I'd like. But, I got it for underwater mainly and playing in the sand. Below are some different situations I tested it in.

Noon Day Sun. Not too bad.

P9030281-L.jpg

P9030283-L.jpg

Zooming in without the macro setting in place. I was impressed with the camera's ability to grab shots on auto mode.

P9020011-L.jpg

P9020010-L.jpg

Trying an indoor, horrible lighting and white balance situation with the Food Setting on.

P9020034-L.jpg

Mixed lighting firing about 18 pictures in a row. Sounds like a machine gun :D. Got about 75% of the pictures in focus. Downsized for posting three shots.

P9020074-M.jpg
    P9020083-M.jpg
    P9020099-M.jpg

Flash test in bright background and darker foreground. I should have tested the flash more but didn't think about it.

P9070037-L.jpg

Here's an example of the dynamic range blow out. My friend's S100 got the background mountains in fine, the Olympus blew them out completely. His pics were fine straight out of the camera, but I have nothing to work with.

P9160032-L.jpg

Although. . .sometimes it did much better. Not sure on the reasoning for this.

P9160103-L.jpg

Sports mode did all right. I think I missed more trying to lock on without a viewfinder than anything else. Overall, I was sort of happy given the lighting. Nothing was razor sharp, but there wasn't much light to work with as we were in the shade of deep trees with sunbeams leaking through.

P9160211-L.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how the camera does in the long run. Overall, for a pocket camera that I got for messing around in Hawaii next month I think it'll be fine (if no more manufacturing issues surface). I would have to say the camera performs far better than my other tough model and better than I expected and I recommend it to anyone looking for a pocket camera that can survive tough wet conditions.

As Anonymous has stated, there is no lens cover and only a piece of tough glass to protect the lens. I had to carry a lens cleaning cloth and used it constantly. It is very easy to smudge the "lens". You can order a screw on attachment that allows a lens cover, but it isn't cheap. I like the fact that I can do quick snap shots of action, indoor, etc. that come out well enough for some memory pics or to share with folks on the web.

Oh yeah, one more thing, they put the microphones for the movies right where you normally want to place your thumb. About 1/2 the movies I shot have the sound of my thumb moving around on them. Also, you can hear every sound the camera makes (i.e. lens zooming) in the movies.

I
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Alex, what's your take on the TG-1iHS?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Cuong wrote: »
    Alex, what's your take on the TG-1iHS?

Cuong

In a nutshell... awesome camera while we had it.

We bought it just before we left for out trip to Costa Rica and Panama back in October. It was an 18 day trip. On day 11, it was stolen out of van-taxi in Panama by another American tourist that we were sharing the cab with. My wife stepped out of the van to let someone else in. She didn't realize she put the camera on the seat to get out and the dude lifted it off the seat while she was up. We didn't realize this until we got out of the van at our destination and she went to grab the camera out of her bag. We put the events together and realize who took it. I searched for the dude for about an hour, since the area we were in was a small town. Couldn't find him unfortunately.

Picture quality was quite decent. Pretty durable build quality. Video was really good as well. Unfortunately, we hadn't had any opportunities to use in the water before it got lifted. About the only thing I wished was that it was a little smaller but only because our previous P&S was a bit smaller. We will be buying another one before our next trip though. Probably the new version that was just released... the TG2.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Cuong,

I've put it through a pretty battle tested mix of stuff now. It spent 3 weeks in and out of water, jungle, sand, fresh water, waterfalls you name it and many weeks in alpine lakes and desert stuff. Olympus replaced the original camera due to it basically falling apart. The second camera has not done that to me at all. One thing that I found out is that when they say it is only waterproof down to 40 feet they mean it. I'm an avid free diver and sometimes forget the depths I'm going down to. I was messing with some scuba divers and dove down about 60 or more feet to hover in front of them and to take a picture with the camera. The camera flooded.

I immediately hauled it out of the water and opened it all up and placed it on the hot black lava rocks in the sun. The water seemed to have stayed around the lens housing primarily and after a couple of hours was working 100% again. It has not done it since and I've been sure to keep it above that 40 foot mark!

Here's some examples. First few are from about 20 feet down. Turtle was near the surface. And my wife thrown in just to show it can take pics of people all right too. I hope it’s not too many pictures, but they show a good range of what the camera can do. Straight out of camera except for crappy resizing software (I'm working late ne_nau.gif).

20FootExample2.jpg

20FootExample.jpg

20FootExample3.jpg

20FootExample4-L.jpg

20FootExample5.jpg

20FootExample6.jpg
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Ridgetop, thank you for sharing a nice review with plenty of sample photos.thumb.gif

Alex, sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident on your trip.:cry

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    I'm curious if anyone thinks that the TG-1iHS from Oly would produce results as good or near-as-good as say a G12, 13, 15 from Canon with a housing? Anyone? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone thinks that the TG-1iHS from Oly would produce results as good or near-as-good as say a G12, 13, 15 from Canon with a housing? Anyone? ear.gif

I think the Canon with a housing would be a better choice.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013

I'm with Ian. From what I can tell my G12 and my S95 both have better dynamic range and overall better image quality. But, the TG-1 is somewhat easily pocketable and easy to drag around while free diving or whatever. I got the TG-1 so I could use it in jungle rains also and not have to worry about a housing. It worked great for that.
  • Options
    A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    I had the Canon G1X in the Canon waterproof case. It was great but really bulky. I sold the waterproof case and bought the new oly tg-2 I am into free diving so I needed a smaller form factor. One thing that is killer about the TG2 is that it logs your depth ( I haven't used it yet but that what the manual says) It's good up to 50' which will cover my abilities. I will post results as soon as I get a chance to use it.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    I think the Canon with a housing would be a better choice.

Decided to rent a housing and lens port for my Canon 5D3 and 16-35 :)

Go big or go home....
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2013
    Decided to rent a housing and lens port for my Canon 5D3 and 16-35 :)

Go big or go home....

Andy... how much and where did you rent it?

My Smug Site