Got a sitemap question? Look here.

Comments

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    20120211-1nwej59sghk1qjprtxy7ggdhuh.jpg

20120211-8bk13i795hsfphadjm8ax6hhfs.jpg
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    If Google doesn't seem to detect your sitemap, you can go about manually adding it. The url to your sitemap is just your domain (or SmugMug nickname if you do not have a custom domain) followed by sitemap-index.xml . For example the sitemap for my site is:
    http://www.sebastianhosche.com/sitemap-index.xml

After submitting the sitemap, it can take a while for Google to get to it, but not to worry as the temporary unavailability of the sitemap doesn't affect the pages already indexed by Google.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    If Google doesn't seem to detect your sitemap, you can go about manually adding it. The url to your sitemap is just your domain (or SmugMug nickname if you do not have a custom domain) followed by sitemap-index.xml . For example the sitemap for my site is:
    http://www.sebastianhosche.com/sitemap-index.xml

After submitting the sitemap, it can take a while for Google to get to it, but not to worry as the temporary unavailability of the sitemap doesn't affect the pages already indexed by Google.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

It was just weird because it DID detect it before and it worked for a long time, then all of a sudden stopped.

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    Now even me submitting it myself didn't work. Showing an error that it can't find the sitemap. :(

• Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Now even me submitting it myself didn't work. Showing an error that it can't find the sitemap. :(
    Yes, it still can take time for Google to recognize it. Give it a week or two.

You can only submit the sitemap manually if Google isn't locating it on its own, which may take a couple of weeks. If the sitemap already was indexed at some point, do not remove and resubmit manually as you will not gain any by that.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    I just don't understand why it was found before automatically and now it isn't?

• Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    I just don't understand why it was found before automatically and now it isn't?
    Google will eventually find it, it just takes more time at this point.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DynamicDynamic Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2012
    Are Site Maps OK?
    Hi

I am sure my sitemaps have been working, but I see errors today on Google Webmaster tools. This led me to looking for my sitemaps and they do not seem to be there.....

www.picturestar.co.uk/sitemap-index.xml

and

www.picturestar.co.uk/sitemap-galleryimages.xml.gz

do not seem to exist?

Has something changed?

Peter S
  • Options
    DynamicDynamic Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2012
    Sitemaps missing??
    Had no response to the question above. So I looked at some of the sites in posts above. They do not seem to have sitemaps at www.domain.com/sitemaps-index.xml

Have they moved or been renamed??

Peter S
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Peter, it's been reported to our QA team for further investigation. Thanks for reporting.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JayPJayP Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    Image sitemap?
    Hi. Do I need to develop a separate image sitemap to submit to Google and Bing so my images in my galleries will be indexed? Thanks.
    Jay

Blue Water Prism - Underwater Photography
    www.bluewaterprism.com
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2012
    Sitemap errors on Google
    I just received thse new errors? Not sure what they mean. ne_nau.gif Thanks.

General HTTP error: 404 not foundSitemap: /sitemap-galleryimages.xml.gz
    HTTP Error: 404

General HTTP error: 404 not foundSitemap: /sitemap-base.xml.gz
    HTTP Error: 404
    Jay

www.bluewaterprism.com
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2012
    Peter, it's been reported to our QA team for further investigation. Thanks for reporting.

Hi - is this fixed? When I try to view my sitemap I get a blank screen. www.bluewaterprism.com/sitemap-index.xml

Thanks
    Jay

www.bluewaterprism.com
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    JayP wrote: »
    Hi - is this fixed? When I try to view my sitemap I get a blank screen. www.bluewaterprism.com/sitemap-index.xml
    Jay, it's still being looked into. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NiphotosNiphotos Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    No Sitemap
    My website has had no site map for Google to download , i have complained several times but still no action on this , the site map http://www.niphotos.co.uk/sitemap-index.xml cannot be seen , i don't want excuses etc i just want it fixed , as all i have been getting is the same old excuse from the " smug mug heroes " please see attached screenshot Joe :boid
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Joe, thanks for posting, we're aware of the problem and we're attempting to get it fixed as fast as possible.
  • Options
    NiphotosNiphotos Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Joe, thanks for posting, we're aware of the problem and we're attempting to get it fixed as fast as possible.

Ah , thought you had left , yes thanks for your reply and hopefully you and the team will sort it out .... Joe clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    Niphotos wrote: »
    Ah , thought you had left , yes thanks for your reply and hopefully you and the team will sort it out .... Joe clap.gif

Left headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    Hi Andy - since we all are waiting for this resolution can you post a "sticky" message when fixed? Thanks for the help.
    Jay

www.bluewaterprism.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    JayP wrote: »
    Hi Andy - since we all are waiting for this resolution can you post a "sticky" message when fixed? Thanks for the help.

We'll update this thread thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2012
    We've fixed the empty sitemap issue, sorry for the hassle, folks.
  • Options
    DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Blank Sitemap
    Hi - I note there was an issue with blank sitemaps back in June. Andy mentioned it had been fixed, however ours is blank.

http://www.despatchesgallery.com/sitemap-index.xml

However, this could be because we've locked the site down (password protected and NOT Hello World).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    Hi - I note there was an issue with blank sitemaps back in June. Andy mentioned it had been fixed, however ours is blank.

However, this could be because we've locked the site down (password protected and NOT Hello World).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    That's right, with the viewing password in place and hello world (Google Search Visibility) set to no, search engines cannot access your site which in turn results in no sitemap. You'd need to remove the password and set hello world to yes to allow search engines in and thus resulting in the creation of a sitemap.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    chipjchipj Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    If you have password protected your website, Google won't be able to access any of the content on your site. I tried reaching your sitemap via the URL above and all I get is a blank screen. If you want to show up in Google search results, AND then have your sitemap seen by Google you'll need to remove the password protection. Google can't login to a password protected site.

Why are you password protecting your site?
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Second time in a week that I was notified that googlebot was unable to crawl my site because of a problem with robots.txt again. On the 18th I was notified that googlebot received too many errors (46% error rate) and my site would not be crawled again until I fixed the errors. Following the instructions in their e-mail I poked around a bit, figured it was just a temporary hiccup, Fetched as Googlebot successfully and Submitted. I thought it was just a temporary problem until I received notification again this morning that because the error rate was 43% my site would not be crawled.

In Webmaster Tools I see that Google hasn't been able to crawl my site since 15 August because it has been receiving 503 Service Unavailable errors from the server.

I know that in the past you have felt the need to throttle back the bots because you believed they were impacting site usability. Is that the case again, and if so can you share with us how long this condition will last? A day or two is not a big thing but when google is prevented from crawling my site for an extended period of time it does become a concern.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    OffTopic wrote: »
    Second time in a week that I was notified that googlebot was unable to crawl my site because of a problem with robots.txt again.[...]
    Same with my site. I've noticed that in Webmaster Tools my site has been pretty much error free over the past three months, BUT beginning on August 17th, multiple crawl issues have cropped up.

The robots.txt error is one of the issues. The other issues have to do with the indexing of certain URL's, resulting in a 503 error ("Service unavailable"). A majority of these url errors are keyword urls, but not all are.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    chipj wrote: »
    Why are you password protecting your site?

Hi Chip - protecting it during development - we want to ensure it's thoroughly tested before we release it to the public.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2012
    Hi Chip - protecting it during development - we want to ensure it's thoroughly tested before we release it to the public.

Thanks!
    Got it. Unfortunately that's where the issue is. You won't be able to see much data in Google Webmaster Tools until after you've removed the password protection. If I were you, I would try to remove that password protection as soon as possible so that you're site doesn't get branded by the search bots as a password protected site.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2012
    chipj wrote: »
    Got it. Unfortunately that's where the issue is. You won't be able to see much data in Google Webmaster Tools until after you've removed the password protection. If I were you, I would try to remove that password protection as soon as possible so that you're site doesn't get branded by the search bots as a password protected site.
    Chip - yes we understand that. Our rollout will be synchronised across quite a few areas - media, live webcast launch, etc. We'll have content all loaded and keyworded etc then make it public some weeks before the offocial announcements, hopefully meaning the bots will crawl and index beforehand.

We agree that that's a pretty big "hopefully"... Laughing.gif

@rainforest - thankyou also for your post.
  • Options
    ricksphotographyricksphotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2012
    My SmugMug account has NEVER been "Seen" by Google
    Looking over my Google webmaster files, I just noticed that my smugmug account has NEVER be recognized. The error message:

http://ricks-photography.smugmug.com/: Googlebot can't access your site
    August 18, 2012
    Over the last 24 hours, Googlebot encountered 2 errors while attempting to access your robots.txt. To ensure that we didn't crawl any pages listed in that file, we postponed our crawl. Your site's overall robots.txt error rate is 100.0%.

As I looked at history, my SmugMug site has NEVER been recognized. What am I doing wrong?

Ricks-Photography