Options

Help do a good deed, restore a Cecil Stoner photo

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 21, 2005 in Finishing School
Take a look at this thread. [size=+1]Don't start correcting the shots posted there until you read the rest of this message.[/size]

The best originals of these shots are in this gallery.

If you want to help, here's what to do.
  1. Choose a shot that nobody has already spoken for. I'll try to keep a list of open and completed shots by editing this post and also in the gallery itself to help us avoid duplicating effort.
  2. Post a message to this thread to let everyone know that you intend to work on the shot. That way others will know and won't duplicate your attempt.
  3. When you are done, post again, this time with a link to your corrected version.

At this point all the shots have been at least claimed and we have improved version of many. I'll try to keep the list here up to date in case someone thinks s/he can improve one that's already been done.

Here are the shots already completed or in process:
  1. scan0009 - Done by smittymike19, but work was done with low res starting point, being redone by behr655
  2. scan0001 - In process by Nee7x7
  3. scan0031 - In process by Nee7x7
  4. scan0070 - In process by Nee7x7
  5. scan00013 -Done by rutt, maybe someone can do better?
  6. scan00032 - In process by celtus
  7. scan0006 - Done by rutt
  8. scan0003 - Done by spockling
  9. scan00072 - Done by rutt
  10. scan00051 - Done by spockling
  11. scan0008 - Done by rutt
  12. scan00033 - Done by Laurie
  13. scan00062 - In process by Greaper

It's much better to work on a shot which hasn't been done yet than to redo someone else's attempt. If you do take a shot and find you don't know how to fix, let me know and I'll free the shot so someone else can work on it.

OK, let's get this done. Thank you, everyone.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Im the last person that should be PS'ing others shots but if you are stuck let me know & im happy to give it a whirl but im not good at it.

Whats the date they are req by rutt ?

Gus
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Im the last person that should be PS'ing others shots but if you are stuck let me know & im happy to give it a whirl but im not good at it.

Whats the date they are req by rutt ?

Gus

Saturday. Wait a few hours, Gus. I think there are a lot of people who will do this.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'll take a crack at scan00032.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I did my best with scan0013. Can't say it's my best result. Maybe someone else can do better? I did two versions, one straightened and cropped and one with only the contrast, noise, and sharpening fixes.

40642127-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'm finding these pretty challenging. Restoring these scans is a whole different ball game than making what comes out of digital cameras look the best it can. I did one B&W (with the dog) and the noise issue was very hard. I've done a few color ones and had to break down and use a selection or brush of some sort each time and the noise issue is there as well.

If anyone has any valuable insights, please share.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I did my best with scan0013. Can't say it's my best result. Maybe someone else can do better? I did two versions, one straightened and cropped and one with only the contrast, noise, and sharpening fixes.

40642127-O.jpg
    40544552-L.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I'm finding these pretty challenging. Restoring these scans is a whole different ball game than making what comes out of digital cameras look the best it can. I did one B&W (with the dog) and the noise issue was very hard. I've done a few color ones and had to break down and use a selection or brush of some sort each time and the noise issue is there as well.

If anyone has any valuable insights, please share.

A lot of times with these scans you can get by with the dust/scratch filter because there's already a softness to the image. You can also apply the dust/scratch on a separate layer and then reveal important details through masking.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    A lot of times with these scans you can get by with the dust/scratch filter because there's already a softness to the image. You can also apply the dust/scratch on a separate layer and then reveal important details through masking.

Yeah, I tried it, but it's like death to any sharpness there is in this images, at least the ones I tried. Works better on the A+B channels, but Surface Blur seems to work better there. So I have used the dust/scratch filter, but then need a layer mask to reveal facial detail and the like that was lost.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    LaurieLaurie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    OK. . . here's my stab at #13. I'm far from expert at this, and I think overdid it in a few ways.

If you guys think I'm on the right track here, I'll volunteer for some of the remaining ones. Rutt, if you think it's a disaster, tell me (I swear I can take it) and I'll leave the others for more capable volunteers.

40675085-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Laurie wrote:
    OK. . . here's my stab at #13. I'm far from expert at this, and I think overdid it in a few ways.

Hey, these are hard and it's even hard to judge the results, because they aren't going to be perfect. I like what you did with this shot best so far. I'll post this and Wholenewlight's versions both and Lindsay can pick.

Try to pick one that nobody else is working on (there are just two right now) and please let us know before you start, OK?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    One trick from the LAB book that I think is very relevant here is to make a layer or duplicate of the image before you start and then at the very end consider blending it with your final result. That way you can go too far the blend can bring it back a little.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    There is definilty a learning curve here. I'm doing a little better I think.

Before:

40559014-L.jpg

After:

40676227-L.jpg

A little selective color to get the whites and blacks cleaner at the end helped a lot here. Also using the green channel for a luminosity blend for his face.

I found you cannot USM these in the traditional way, but HIgh RAdius LOw AMount L channel sharpening does seem to work well. Here I used a radius of 8 and an amount of 37, threshold 7.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'll work on 00033, then!
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Here's a quick try on 00033.

Before:
    40683263-L.jpg

After:
    40686002-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Laurie wrote:
    Here's a quick try on 00033.

40683080-Ti.jpg

Nice job. May as well crop it at this point....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    'K--done.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice job. May as well crop it at this point....
  • Options
    smittymike19smittymike19 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    retry
    ok i just lloked at the photo of the military i retouched and it appears too staurated. i would like to resubmit, even though i know it is the low res version (the high res version wasnt up when i did the correction). there is a simple trick to get photos to increase in resolution that scott kelby talks about in cs2 guide for photgraphers. if anyone has the book please share it here. otherwise i will when i get home tonight.

http://smittymike19.smugmug.com/photos/40687456-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    ok i just lloked at the photo of the military i retouched and it appears too staurated. i would like to resubmit, even though i know it is the low res version (the high res version wasnt up when i did the correction). there is a simple trick to get photos to increase in resolution that scott kelby talks about in cs2 guide for photgraphers. if anyone has the book please share it here. otherwise i will when i get home tonight.

The trick is to increase by 10%. Do as many times as necessary, but always do 10%.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005

Thanks, I'll add to the gallery. Lindsay did notice that this was lower resolution than the one she mailed me, so I think she cares about that. Bear is also going to take a retry at it starting with the better original. When we have a few different efforts, I'm taking the attitude that Lindsay can pick her own favorite.

There is one more shot not yet spoken for:
    scan00062 I'd like to see that one get done at least once before we redo one that is already going to end up pretty good.

A resolution improving technology would be great here. My guess is you'd want to do this first before any other edits, but what do I know? I've heard a lot about Genuine Fractals over the years. Does someone have a Genuine Fractals Merit Badge?

After we get that one last shot spoken for, if you feel you can do much better than one of the edits posted in the gallery, please let us know and then go for it. I don't have any ego invested here, and I'm sure everyone else just wants the Stoner family to get nice results. For me, anyway, this is a very different kind of PP than I normally do, so it's a real learning experience.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    I will try scan62
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Here is a link to my re-touch of scan0009-original. The link is to the original size but cropped to print 8x10. The original was 12x16 and I didn't know if Lindsay could print that size.

http://behr655.smugmug.com/photos/40710379-O.jpg

Here is the medium shot.

40710379-M.jpg
    The original was actually much tougher to work on. Showed MUCH more dust and defects than the low res. My re-touch still has some dust but it does not show when printed 8x10. Interesting note. I believe this may have been a hand tinted photo to start with but somewhere along the line it was re-colored with what seems to be pastel. If you look at the original take notice of the metals, buttons and ribbons.

Bear
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    The trick is to increase by 10%. Do as many times as necessary, but always do 10%.
    <Johnny Carson>I did not know that</Johnny Carson> Thanks for the tip.

Bear
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:

There is one more shot not yet spoken for:
    scan00062 I'd like to see that one get done at least once before we redo one that is already going to end up pretty good.

I'll give it a shot

Bear
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Wow, Bear, nice pro job. I wish the ones I did looked as good. Want to take a sot at one of them? I'd say scan0006 is probably precious to the family and I know I could have done a better job; it was my first one, really.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Wow, Bear, nice pro job. I wish the ones I did looked as good. Want to take a sot at one of them? I'd say scan0006 is probably precious to the family and I know I could have done a better job; it was my first one, really.
    I'll give it a shot.

Here is a link to scan00062. It is enlarged and re-sized to print at 8x10 although I think 5x7 would be better. I did not test print it.
    http://behr655.smugmug.com/photos/40717623-O.jpg

Here is the medium shot.

40717623-M.jpg

Bear
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I will try scan62
    Ooops! didn't see this. Sorry.

Bear
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Hey man, It's all good, I just finished mine, and yours is better. I will work on it some more, but unless I get something I think improves in some way, I would say go with yours.

ORIGINAL SIZE

40728158-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Here is a link to my try at scan0006. This is a tough one and I can't get the white balance right.
    http://behr655.smugmug.com/photos/40732045-O.jpg
    Here is the medium shot.

40732045-M.jpg

Bear
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    way to go, everyone. rutt, thanks so much for leading this effort.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Rutt here are a few I did last night before you had everything organized. Hope it doesn't mess anything up. These were difficult and I wasn't going to post them since I wasn't particularly satisfied with them but you can decide what you want to do with them. Its a kind effort everyone is making, I hope it gives his family some solace.

40763152-M.jpg

40763221-M.jpg

40763264-L.jpg

40763317-L.jpg

40763369-L.jpg

.......................Mereimage