Options

NIKON D3/D700/D300 Shutter Life/Failure thread - Post your experience here!

2»

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    D300: shutter became problematic at 163,000. Sometimes actuate and other times freeze. No brainer - for a few hundred dollars got it replaced and of course it works perfectly now. My only complaint is that the actuation number wasn't (or perhaps can't be) reset to zero. So my photos show shutter count of 170,000+. I have just kept the receipt so that if I sell this camera body, I can show the prospective owner that it was replaced. Didn't even cross my mind that it wouldn't get reset to zero ... more fool me!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    guitstikguitstik Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Most Pro's that I know will upgrade/replace equipment for tax reasons more than for reliability. A $6K write off every year is a good way to keep your tax burden low. I have done the same thing with heavy equipment for my business's in the past. There were a few years that I had to show a loss to keep from being taxed to death. Now I fly bellow the radar by keeping my earnings to the bare minimum before I hit that thresh hold. I turn down more photography jobs or recommend a fellow photographer just to keep from maxing out. I also hold a separate job that I claim as my primary source of income it's also how I get my health insurance so cheap. My photography business is claimed as a "hobby" rather than a "business".
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    My D700 is at 200k right now, still going strong!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    I put a D300 to 250,000 clicks and a D700 to 150,000 clicks, before both needed a new shutter. Both cameras had suffered multiple concrete impacts and severe weather over their lifespan, so I'm pretty happy. I plan on keeping both cameras alive as long as possible, even if only for timelapse shutter burning... Can't wait for the day when used D700's can be had for ~$1200...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    kaequinekaequine Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2012
    i have a nikon d3 shutter shit itself at 130,000 i have just spoken with another d3 owner and hers went at 120,000, nikon should fix these as they boast the 300,000 shots, actually i have not heard of a d3 with 200,000 on it let alone 300,000. but i know some cannon owners getting well over 300,00 on lesser quality cameras.we should have a class action against nikon to fix these.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    kaequine wrote: »
    i have a nikon d3 shutter shit itself at 130,000 i have just spoken with another d3 owner and hers went at 120,000, nikon should fix these as they boast the 300,000 shots, actually i have not heard of a d3 with 200,000 on it let alone 300,000. but i know some cannon owners getting well over 300,00 on lesser quality cameras.we should have a class action against nikon to fix these.

I know I may be feeding a troll, but suffice it to say that I've heard plenty of the exact opposite. Half-million D3 shutters are not un-common. That is all I will say.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    I know I may be feeding a troll, but suffice it to say that I've heard plenty of the exact opposite. Half-million D3 shutters are not un-common. That is all I will say.

=Matt=
    i have spoken with many pro canon owners that have well over 300,000 shots on cameras rated at only 150,000. i have not found a canon owner with shutter failure yet, most of the pro horse pgotographers here in australia use cannon, maybe im a fool for using nikon.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    kaequine wrote: »
    i have spoken with many pro canon owners that have well over 300,000 shots on cameras rated at only 150,000. i have not found a canon owner with shutter failure yet, most of the pro horse pgotographers here in australia use cannon, maybe im a fool for using nikon.
    whats feeding a troll mean??
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    My D700 is at 200k right now, still going strong!
    you will get a few black screens when it is starting to go.
  • Options
    Big AlBig Al Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2013
    Can't wait for the day when used D700's can be had for ~$1200...

=Matt=

I think that day is here!!!!!
  • Options
    Bob StoryBob Story Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2013
    I have two D300s that have gone a little over 200,000. I replaced the shutters in my down season just to be on the safe side.