Options

SmugMug Update From Baldy

Comments

• Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    If the problem is that too many people are working at the sandbox site (trying to fix their sites), ask people to stop and take away the re-route to seeing the new site on log in all the time. I have two smugmug sites and one I haven't migrated at all and the other is dormant while I wait for fixes on bugs. If I could avoid the new smugmug while you get the bugs ironed out, I would be happy to do so. But, I can't really, because the site makes me click through extra links to avoid the new smugmug every time I log in.

I detest the marketing speak answers to serious bug reports/support requests where smugmug representatives write something along the lines of "we're sorry that nothing is working because we're so awesome and everyone loves us so much more than we expected." It's Orwellian double-speak and not what I expect from the stable service I have relied on for so many years.
    Baldy wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

The performance guys are so buried I don't have really accurate numbers-based info. When the dust settles, we'll be able to look at more data and do our post-mortems, but I can give you my general feelings from what data I have seen and the areas we're working on.

One is we didn't expect so many people to migrate so quickly. And when they did, they started doing an insane number of operations with the new organizer: moving images, galleries, making folders 4 deep. It's one of those things where we can look back and say the old system was hard, the new organizer is easy, before they launch their sites they're going to do some major reorganization. But still I don't think we would have predicted this many move operations.

You seem to have some computing background so you can probably appreciate the computer science problem of syncing two sites when you haven't gone live yet. You're mapping a 5-level-deep system of folders with a different permission model to a 2-level category system where the user may upload to either one, edit on either side, etc. If you have an Apple laptop and desktop, keeping them in sync is a nightmare and they are the same systems. I think this is why Squarespace didn't try. They just came out with a new system and let their installed base start over if they wanted it.

A much bigger thing to scale has been search. For one thing, we've never seen image inflow like this. A lot of people are coming from Zenfolio, BluDomain and LiveBooks and bring their large collection of images. Many people who knew of SmugMug over the years decided to try us out and are syncing their photos with Lightroom. New customers take very little support on our help desk, but they upload like a firehose and and spend a lot of time with the organizer.

And finally, when tens of thousands of new SmugMug sites got published the first week, the owners showed them off on social media and generated insane image views. The popular style seems to be landscape collage, which really puts the images out there.
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Oh, now I wish I had been a week later and just not migrated my personal site and was just looking at my normal site while everything was fixed. My unmigrated site is just sitting there looking fine, as it always has done (though there was a brief period when galleries were missing).
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    I think the migration link says to come back on the 19th, doesn't it? We have put the migrations on hold until that date. Please come back to your site on August 19th and you will see the migrate button on your site. That's all there is to it - no need to get in line.
  • Options
    bartman01bartman01 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    I think the migration link says to come back on the 19th, doesn't it? We have put the migrations on hold until that date. Please come back to your site on August 19th and you will see the migrate button on your site. That's all there is to it - no need to get in line.

It says that NOW. It did NOT say that when I went there right before I posted (or on any of the times I have gone there over the last week and a half). If sometime after you bring it back you need to put it on hold again, PLEASE do two things:

Where this mysterious 'migrate' button is supposed to appear - can we get something here stating that migrations are on hold so we don't have to dig around to find out? All of the public info I could find initially made it sound this simple, but you removed the button leaving some of us confused and having to search around.

Put an expected 're-open' date in the message from the start.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 16, 2013
    bartman01 wrote: »
    It says that NOW. It did NOT say that when I went there right before I posted (or on any of the times I have gone there over the last week and a half). If sometime after you bring it back you need to put it on hold again, PLEASE do two things:

Where this mysterious 'migrate' button is supposed to appear - can we get something here stating that migrations are on hold so we don't have to dig around to find out? All of the public info I could find initially made it sound this simple, but you removed the button leaving some of us confused and having to search around.

Put an expected 're-open' date in the message from the start.

The date was there the entire time; I wrote the text myself. I'm sorry if it was missed. We also posted here on Dgrin, but things were moving fast and furious so the thread was buried too quickly. We should have stickied it probably.

Anyways, we can get you started on migration now if you want.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 16, 2013
    If the problem is that too many people are working at the sandbox site (trying to fix their sites), ask people to stop and take away the re-route to seeing the new site on log in all the time.

The main problem right now is that we are having trouble maintaining our usual customer support response times. For the first couple of weeks though, we were dealing with an enormous strain on parts of our systems. That includes the search indexing queue, which fell woefully behind and caused numerous problems.
    I detest the marketing speak answers to serious bug reports/support requests where smugmug representatives write something along the lines of "we're sorry that nothing is working because we're so awesome and everyone loves us so much more than we expected." It's Orwellian double-speak and not what I expect from the stable service I have relied on for so many years.

I'm not sure what answer you want then, because the truth is that we had way, way more customers migrate and unveil than we anticipated. We have more people customizing their SmugMug sites than ever before. We also have bugs, UI and wording confusion, and some things that were available on the legacy platform and are not yet available on the new one. So naturally there has been an incredible amount of activity, traffic, support questions, and server load.

We probably should have paused migrations earlier or figured out another way to pinch off the firehose. We just had no idea that so many people would rush so quickly to the new platform.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    The main problem right now is that we are having trouble maintaining our usual customer support response times. For the first couple of weeks though, we were dealing with an enormous strain on parts of our systems. That includes the search indexing queue, which fell woefully behind and caused numerous problems.

I'm not sure what answer you want then, because the truth is that we had way, way more customers migrate and unveil than we anticipated. We have more people customizing their SmugMug sites than ever before. We also have bugs, UI and wording confusion, and some things that were available on the legacy platform and are not yet available on the new one. So naturally there has been an incredible amount of activity, traffic, support questions, and server load.

We probably should have paused migrations earlier or figured out another way to pinch off the firehose. We just had no idea that so many people would rush so quickly to the new platform.
    Hindsight is always 20/20, but you probably should have done like Google does with a new service or major upgrade and controlled the inflow of migrations with first a beta period (involving several thousand customers) and then some sort of system where people sign up to be migrated and are told when their turn arrives until you fully understood how well it worked or how many people wanted to migrate in the first few weeks. You opened the floodgates without knowing how big the flood would be or whether you could handle the flood and you couldn't handle it.

I also understand starrynight's objections to the tone. The fact is you guys goofed up significantly. You didn't plan the roll-out properly. Is that because your service is too awesome? No. It's because you didn't plan a gradual and controlled number of migrations and when either the volume or the way your system handled things at load surprised you, some parts of the service got in serious trouble. I'm sure everyone is working hard now to try to get through that, but this was a failure at the launch planning level and a little more acknowledgement at that level would put things in better perspective.

If I sound bitter, it's because I've been forced to do all sorts of extra work (probably 8 hours of extra work) on a major 500 image presentation because virtual galleries are completely busted and now I'm forced to redo my presentation strategy and use duplicate images instead. I only do a couple of these a year and you chose to mess up the service right in the middle of one of them. Oh, and I'm still on Legacy (just trying to use the old service) because I can't migrate until you support custom javascript.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Hindsight is always 20/20, too late now but I would have chosen a few guinea pigs to migrate early
    before the masses. Perhaps picking a few sites that use different configurations. I would have loved
    to be included as I've seen just about everything in the past that has been asked and fixes for them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    bartman01bartman01 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    The date was there the entire time

I wish I had screen captured the page earlier, because I am 100% sure the 19th date was not there any time I had checked prior to today. I would think maybe I am crazy, but at least one other poster above confirms that the date was not there before when they looked. Had there been any kind of date, I would have just set a reminder and not given it another thought. Maybe I was picking up a cached version of the page, but what I was seeing before had no date attached.

Thanks for the offer to start the migration now, but I can wait until next week. Now if you said it was closed till next month, I might take you up on it. I have a lot of stuff I need to migrate to SmugMug and was holding off doing anything until I can work with the new layouts.

Edit: FYI the text I saw before today was just "So sorry! We’re pausing the migration process to give personal attention to customers currently in the queue."
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Baldy, it looks like you have two very disgruntled people here - Allen who has over 33,000 posts and JFriend with over 24,000, both have contributed hundreds if not thousands of hours in helping people on Dgrin. I hate to see their concerns and knowledge ignored. Both have helped me in the past and I completely understand how they must feel, it looks like they've just been discarded:(
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Not disgruntled here, just trying to adapt. :D
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    Baldy, it looks like you have two very disgruntled people here - Allen who has over 33,000 posts and JFriend with over 24,000, both have contributed hundreds if not thousands of hours in helping people on Dgrin. I hate to see their concerns and knowledge ignored. Both have helped me in the past and I completely understand how they must feel, it looks like they've just been discarded:(
    "Discarded" is an interesting term to propose. It's probably more appropriate to say "abandoned" or "left out".

What I've realized is that the kind of photo site I want isn't what Smugmug cares about the most any more and thus they launched a massive new version that they knew would not meet my needs. I don't think they intended it to go quite the way it did from the beginning, but when push came to shove and they had to decide what to really focus on, some of the things I want/need and rely on in old SM didn't get put into this new release. Given my long association and the personal investment I've made not only in my own site, but in creating stuff for others, that's a major bummer for me.

They made their choices for their own business reasons and they have the right to do that, but that doesn't really help with my own personal feelings about where it stands now and for the first time in a very long time, I'm wondering what my other options are.

So ... we will just have to see what the future holds. Since my galleries are currently stuck in legacy limbo and never to see a new feature again (or perhaps even a bug fix), I obviously can't stay that way forever. Baldy has actually taken the time to speak with me individually, but I honestly don't know if a future release of the new SM will meet my needs or not. I think I will only know that when/if such a release actually exists and I've confirmed it works for me.

Also, I wouldn't say I'm "disgruntled". It's more "disappointed". This is because the rollout of the new SM just wasn't planned properly such that, even for legacy sites, the site isn't working properly now (creating new virtual galleries is pretty much busted with such long delays on proper keyword indexing and that cost me more than 8 hours of my own time this week) and I'm also obviously disappointed that some of my needs/desires aren't part of the current direction of SM.

Anyway, since we're here to share photos, here are my galleries from the 18-day, 220 mile John Muir hike I completed a few weeks ago: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/Family/John-Muir-Trail.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    "Discarded" is an interesting term to propose. It's probably more appropriate to say "abandoned" or "left out".

What I've realized is that the kind of photo site I want isn't what Smugmug cares about the most any more and thus they launched a massive new version that they knew would not meet my needs. I don't think they intended it to go quite the way it did from the beginning, but when push came to shove and they had to decide what to really focus on, some of the things I want/need and rely on in old SM didn't get put into this new release. Given my long association and the personal investment I've made not only in my own site, but in creating stuff for others, that's a major bummer for me.

They made their choices for their own business reasons and they have the right to do that, but that doesn't really help with my own personal feelings about where it stands now and for the first time in a very long time, I'm wondering what my other options are.

So ... we will just have to see what the future holds. Since my galleries are currently stuck in legacy limbo and never to see a new feature again (or perhaps even a bug fix), I obviously can't stay that way forever. Baldy has actually taken the time to speak with me individually, but I honestly don't know if a future release of the new SM will meet my needs or not. I think I will only know that when/if such a release actually exists and I've confirmed it works for me.

Also, I wouldn't say I'm "disgruntled". It's more "disappointed". This is because the rollout of the new SM just wasn't planned properly such that, even for legacy sites, the site isn't working properly now (creating new virtual galleries is pretty much busted with such long delays on proper keyword indexing and that cost me more than 8 hours of my own time this week) and I'm also obviously disappointed that some of my needs/desires aren't part of the current direction of SM.

Anyway, since we're here to share photos, here are my galleries from the 18-day, 220 mile John Muir hike I completed a few weeks ago: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/Family/John-Muir-Trail.

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. Just an FYI, Indexing should be all caught up now.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. Just an FYI, Indexing should be all caught up now.
    I have images uploaded yesterday afternoon that are not yet indexed so it appears to me to still be at least 24hrs behind. A quick check of a major keyword in my keyword view shows it still missing more than 200 images. It is not yet working properly.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Because of the current limit of 255 keywords on the /keyword page and limit of 1000 KWed photos in
    an individual KW page I spent about five hours making a list of my +800 legacy keywords complete with
    links for search page. I have a few KW's in the thousands.

Then when just about finished I found I could use Excel to compose the whole html list in less then 5 minutes.

Not unveiled but Michael can see it here.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/search
    Go down and click warblers and 2450 show in search. Approx. how many KW's there are.
    I wish it would paginate and show in Smugmug style like my default.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    I have images uploaded yesterday afternoon that are not yet indexed so it appears to me to still be at least 24hrs behind. A quick check of a major keyword in my keyword view shows it still missing more than 200 images. It is not yet working properly.

Mind sending me a link to the smart gallery John?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Because of the current limit of 255 keywords on the /keyword page and limit of 1000 KWed photos in
    an individual KW page I spent about five hours making a list of my +800 legacy keywords complete with
    links for search page. I have a few KW's in the thousands.

Then when just about finished I found I could use Excel to compose the whole html list in less then 5 minutes.

Not unveiled but Michael can see it here.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/search
    Go down and click warblers and 2450 show in search. Approx. how many KW's there are.
    I wish it would paginate and show in Smugmug style like my default.

Thanks for the info Allen. The Results page for search is definitely something we can take a look at, but just don't know when.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Info and links sent via email. Total images uploaded with the "JMT" keyword, 1015. Number of images showing in a smart gallery based on that keyword, 615. Same 615 number shows in a keyword view too.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Info and links sent via email. Total images uploaded with the "JMT" keyword, 1015. Number of images showing in a smart gallery based on that keyword, 615. Same 615 number shows in a keyword view too.

Hi John,

I actually was referring to the wrong queue. This one is catching up quickly and should be updated soon.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 16, 2013

Really great looking trip!

I loved the section between Glen and Vidette. I nearly broke my leg punching through the snow on Glen the year we crossed it. We did the Rae Lakes Loop that year. I think Sequoia & Kings Canyon is one of my favorites-right up there with Trinity Alps.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Really great looking trip!

I loved the section between Glen and Vidette. I nearly broke my leg punching through the snow on Glen the year we crossed it. We did the Rae Lakes Loop that year. I think Sequoia & Kings Canyon is one of my favorites-right up there with Trinity Alps.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Yeah, this part of Sequoia and Kings Canyon is spectacular. I think Rae Lakes was the most beautiful area of my trip. Huge mountains towering over the beautiful lakes and not that far from Glen Pass either. I also had some spectacular clouds and a great sunset while there. Evolution Valley and Lyell Canyon were some other favorites.

When you say "Rae Lakes loop", what loop did you do? I've been wondering how best to get back to Rae Lakes with some family on a 3-4 day trip and do some fishing there.

I think I was fortunate to be there this year in a dry year with no snow on the passes. It made for a few dry sections of hiking (fewer tributaries flowing to get water from), but that was manageable. I did Whitney (from the east) in a heavy snow year in late June and that was not fun (cramp-ons, heavy boots, ice axes, etc...).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    When you say "Rae Lakes loop", what loop did you do? I've been wondering how best to get back to Rae Lakes with some family on a 3-4 day trip and do some fishing there.

You park at Roads End in Sequoia/Kings Canyon and hike either Paradise Valley or Bubbs Creek-Rae Lakes is a about 21m via Bubbs and 25 from Paradise Valley. For a three or four day trip, you'd be pushing it. One year, we took Paradise and another, Bubbs. I like the Bubbs trail but don't let the shorter distance fool you...the climb up to Glen can be brutal. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    You park at Roads End in Sequoia/Kings Canyon and hike either Paradise Valley or Bubbs Creek-Rae Lakes is a about 21m via Bubbs and 25 from Paradise Valley. For a three or four day trip, you'd be pushing it. One year, we took Paradise and another, Bubbs. I like the Bubbs trail but don't let the shorter distance fool you...the climb up to Glen can be brutal. lol3.gif
    I see. I found the National Park Service page that describes the loop http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm. 50 mile loop, 7000' of climb. You're right - that's no 3 day trip. It doesn't look any easier coming in from the east either. I guess that's one of the things that makes this area so special - you have to really earn it to get there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013

Is that offer open to anyone? I submitted a Hero Desk request yesterday morning about keywords, and got back my reply this morning that "it's a problem, just wait."

More photos started showing up in my main smart album today, but quite a few are still missing. I can give you an example of a gallery that had two photos uploaded at the same time and tagged the same, but only one is showing up in the smart album

Source Gallery: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/Nature/2013-Summer-Garden (see first two images)
    Smart Album: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/PhotoBlog/2013

Thanks!
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Trial Membership in order to try the New SmugMug?
    I saw mention somewhere (by Baldy, I believe) that there's another way to try the New SmugMug, even while migrations are paused, and even if we're already members. There was a statement that we could do a Trial Membership. I thought I saw that statement here in this thread, but can't find it now. Could I have confirmation that this is true?

I have a huge site and will probably have to undergo multiple levels of re-organization when I migrate, and the whole thing is giving me nightmares. I haven't yet figured out how I'd do the "playing around" that is claimed to be possible, while still being able to view my new creation the way my viewers would, etc. I'm of course extremely curious about what my site may look like, but there are just so many glitches and fixes in the works right now. So anyway, I think it would be helpful to do a Trial Membership as suggested and just upload a few photos / galleries at various levels to get an idea of how to even begin the migration & restructuring process eventually. Please confirm that this is acceptable to SmugMug, and let me know if there's any certain way I'd need to proceed since I'm already a member. Thank you! P.S. How long are trial memberships?
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    I see. I found the National Park Service page that describes the loop http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm. 50 mile loop, 7000' of climb. You're right - that's no 3 day trip. It doesn't look any easier coming in from the east either. I guess that's one of the things that makes this area so special - you have to really earn it to get there.

There are quite a few people who hike up to Lower Paradise for but once you get about 10 miles in on either trail, things change. Paradise is longer and a more gradual climb but either way you look at it, you've got some work ahead of you.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    I saw mention somewhere (by Baldy, I believe) that there's another way to try the New SmugMug, even while migrations are paused, and even if we're already members. There was a statement that we could do a Trial Membership. I thought I saw that statement here in this thread, but can't find it now. Could I have confirmation that this is true?

I have a huge site and will probably have to undergo multiple levels of re-organization when I migrate, and the whole thing is giving me nightmares. I haven't yet figured out how I'd do the "playing around" that is claimed to be possible, while still being able to view my new creation the way my viewers would, etc. I'm of course extremely curious about what my site may look like, but there are just so many glitches and fixes in the works right now. So anyway, I think it would be helpful to do a Trial Membership as suggested and just upload a few photos / galleries at various levels to get an idea of how to even begin the migration & restructuring process eventually. Please confirm that this is acceptable to SmugMug, and let me know if there's any certain way I'd need to proceed since I'm already a member. Thank you! P.S. How long are trial memberships?

There are trial accounts you can sign up for. They've typically lasted 14 days.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    There are trial accounts you can sign up for. They've typically lasted 14 days.
    Thanks, Ian-- Do you think I'd need to use a slightly different variation on my name or something in order to do that? In other words, right now my site is annalisa.smugmug.com or WinsomeWorks.com on my own domain... Would I just sign up under initials and choose a name (like maybe ALworks or whatever) so as not to confuse whoever monitors the sign-ups? Thanks again for the response.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Thanks, Ian-- Do you think I'd need to use a slightly different variation on my name or something in order to do that? In other words, right now my site is annalisa.smugmug.com or WinsomeWorks.com on my own domain... Would I just sign up under initials and choose a name (like maybe ALworks or whatever) so as not to confuse whoever monitors the sign-ups? Thanks again for the response.

I have no idea. However, I can't imagine it would be a problem.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    You just have to use a different email address for the trial and pick a unique nickname for the nickname.smugmug.com part of the site name. Your current domain stays where it is - you wouldn't mess with that for your trial.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    You just have to use a different email address for the trial and pick a unique nickname for the nickname.smugmug.com part of the site name. Your current domain stays where it is - you wouldn't mess with that for your trial.
    Ahh-- Ok, that makes sense. I'll bear that in mind. Just need to choose a Trial start date that'll give me some time to mess with it. Yikes; don't know when that'll be. Thanks, John & Ian.