Options

Recent photos update sporadically

2»

Comments

• Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    In the last few minutes nearly all of my uploads from the past four days (including the one from a few hours ago) appeared on my RecentPhotos block... also the keyword seem to be indexed because my smart gallery now shows all photos, not just a few. Hooray

Let's hope this will be permanent... the site loads a bit slower then before but that is better then not showing all recent photos.

Anyone else seeing that?

EDIT: Nope, was not permanent... WTF! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Sam heree. Took 18 hours to add 2 out of 30 photo's to my Recent Photos block.
    The keyword-based smart gallery only has 12 out of 19 new photos.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    My site did it again... it showed 20 photos i uploaded about 1 hour ago on RecentPhotos block... Now they disappeared again and i'm back about one week on recent photos. This come and go of photos isn't funny...

At least recent galleries seem to work.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    I am now completely up to date. Fingers crossed! biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    I too would sometimes see all recent photos only to have them disappear again. But this time it looks like the lag has been fixed. This morning I was up to date and a couple of hours later all the recent photos are still there.

Paul
    http://paultavares.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Same here... just uploaded another photo and that is now on top of my recent photos list. Now the recent galleries list is not updated anymore headscratch.gif

Maybe some other queues are now getting indexed/updated, but maybe we are close to the finish line :D
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Same here... just uploaded another photo and that is now on top of my recent photos list. Now the recent galleries list is not updated anymore headscratch.gif

Maybe some other queues are now getting indexed/updated, but maybe we are close to the finish line :D

I display the 24 most popular photos on one page and today I noticed a change of about three photos near the end of the page so maybe the popular photos are now receiving attention. There was no change for two weeks and then overnight three changes, all old photos so that's too much of a coincidence.

Paul
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    No Hero has discussed the issue where the photos were obviously indexed and showed up and then disappeared. If they were indexed, how could they possibly disappear?
  • Options
    sockeyesockeye Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2013
    I've also seen this. Also, recent photos is defined as recently updated. There is also most recent taken and modified. It would be great if one could specify their definition of recent too. And of course have the feature respond in a timely and predictable manner.
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    No Hero has discussed the issue where the photos were obviously indexed and showed up and then disappeared. If they were indexed, how could they possibly disappear?
    Probably a load balancing problem, means you have been redirected to another web server. Maybe a hard reset of your browser cache might help. SHIFT+F5

Seems the situation gets back to normal, I added some images yesterday and they showed up indexed after ~10 mins.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    sockeye wrote: »
    I've also seen this. Also, recent photos is defined as recently updated. There is also most recent taken and modified. It would be great if one could specify their definition of recent too. And of course have the feature respond in a timely and predictable manner.
    It seems to me that the most obviously expected behavior of any "Recent Photos" box would be that they were recently uploaded, not any of the behaviors you listed. I mean, I'd be OK with recently updated or recently taken, etc. be options, but none of those definitions should be the default for a Recent Photos block. The default should be what your clients would expect, which is photos recently uploaded to the site. The behavior on Legacy, where it displayed photos I'd just cropped or color-corrected on SmugMug was considered by most of us to be a bug, and was not the behavior that we'd once had in that box. In the past, it always displayed recently uploaded photos only.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    the default should be what your clients would expect, which is photos recently uploaded to the site.

+1
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I've added over 100 photos in the last two weeks. I have a Recent Photos content block which is completely blank.
    Nothing shows, no photos, no content header, nothing at all.
    To my visitors it's one big empty space on my homepage. (See below)

i-XB2MdD3.jpg
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    I've added over 100 photos in the last two weeks. I have a Recent Photos content block which is completely blank.
    Nothing shows, no photos, no content header, nothing at all.
    To my visitors it's one big empty space on my homepage. (See below)

i-XB2MdD3.jpg

Uke,

I think alot of your problems are stemming from the fact that your site is password protected. I will keep investigating all the cases you are experiencing, but in the meantime, if you remove your site wide password, you shouldn't see any more issues.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Thanks mbono for the tip. I have temporarily un-password-protected my site.

The Recent Photos content block now seems to be working but my keywords are still non-existent and search still doesn't work properly.

http://ukulelearchive.smugmug.com/keyword

My site must be password-protected. I did not have any of these problems in old SM.

My subscription is due for renewal soon. I don't know what to do. :-(
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    One hour later suddenly my keywords are working. Did somebody do something? If so, thank you.

But shouldn't this just work Out Of The Box?

I have made my site password-protected once again and for now the issues seem to have abated somewhat.

Still, I don't have the same confidence in SM that I used to. New SM seems very fragile indeed.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    One hour later suddenly my keywords are working. Did somebody do something? If so, thank you.

But shouldn't this just work Out Of The Box?

I have made my site password-protected once again and for now the issues seem to have abated somewhat.

Still, I don't have the same confidence in SM that I used to. New SM seems very fragile indeed.

New SM is just incredibly busy so keywords and 'Recent' photographs are taking a little longer to show up. If they won't show up on a Password protected site however then yes, you might have to look elsewhere. Would it work on Zenfolio though or would you still be in the same position? Might be a idea to find that out before you do anything drastic!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    New SM is just incredibly busy so keywords and 'Recent' photographs are taking a little longer to show up. If they won't show up on a Password protected site however then yes, you might have to look elsewhere. Would it work on Zenfolio though or would you still be in the same position? Might be a idea to find that out before you do anything drastic!

Thanks LPC, I appreciate the sentiment. Don't worry I won't do anything drastic, it's not the end of the world.
    My Keywords and Recent Photos are showing zero content yet again. :confused