Options

Serious bug. Unlisted galleries are useless

2»

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Manny wrote: »
    Still not working for me. This has NOT been resolved.

Please visit this page for me:

http://manny.smugmug.com/Family/Sofia/n-zMgVF

Do you see all the galleries beneath it or not? They are unlisted as well as the one above because thye are set to inherit. There are quite a few in there.

Please let me know if I am smoking something inappropriate or am I correct to assume I still cannot see the galleries. Thank you all for your help

Hi Manny,

Your folders are unlisted. The folder containing the unlisted galleries needs to be public for the galleries to be visible when you send a link out.

Thanks!
  • Options
    MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Manny,

Your folders are unlisted. The folder containing the unlisted galleries needs to be public for the galleries to be visible when you send a link out.

Thanks!

Thanks Michael,

So, in the old days, I could keep all my galleries unlisted. My family would naturally just visit the ../Family/ subfolder and get to all the various galleries and sub-categories. All were also unlisted but visible and one could click through.

So, you're saying if I make the Parent
    [Listed] all the children will show, even if unlisted? I'll try that sir... thank you.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Well, that worked but it didn't work :D ... I expected this but wanted to respect your expertise first ... My goal has been defeated and now everything is actually backwards that it was in the previous incarnation. My goal was to make casual users of my site NOT see anything unlisted but allow those who know the URLs to get to them freely.

If I make the Parent [Family] PUBLIC, it shows up on the browse list which is the opposite of what I wanted. I want to be able to simply hide from the browse list and yet allow it to be visible. Nto sure why this is not being answered directly and only workarounds that aren't actually working being offered :(

Can anyone suggest a way to do what I was able to do before? I am going to be redundant at the ristk of being banned:

** I want **

Perfectly PUBLIC galleries and categories that can be hidden from the BROWSE function

** End Want **

The above was the way the site worked before. Set a Category unlisted and the children unlisted and one could get to them via URL but would not list on BROWSE. One did NOT need special URLs for each child gallery.

Thank you once again in advance and sorry for being a PITA with this request. The thought of handing out a special URL every time I publish a gallery is driving me insane.

Even allowing us to set it like this would help:

Family : Public
    |
    +-- Sofia : Unlisted
    | |
    | +-- Gallery 1 : Public
    |
    +-- Other : Inherit (Public)

I could then at least hide Sofia and allow everyone to see the underlying galleries without having a need to a special coded URL.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Looks like no mater what you do to hide things anyone can type /browse and everything
    public is exposed whether you hide it or not. You could add a folder with top level contents
    and remove the folders you don't want showing but browse defeats that. Your only quick
    choice is add a password on the top level folder of private areas.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    botpixbotpix Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    I think the issue is more about inherited permissions. The new system does not give you the option to place a "public" gallery inside an "unlisted" folder. It inherits the "permissions" of the parent by default. The only option is "inherited", public is not even in the list. It appears as though linking directly to the unlisted gallery, not the folder, works just fine. So website images, slideshow images, etc. can still be held in an unlisted gallery.
    Drew Lockwood
    ---
    www.mybotpix.com (smugmug)
    www.botpix.com (wordpress)
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    botpix wrote: »
    So website images, slideshow images, etc. can still be held in an unlisted gallery.

That's true... i have backgrounds for some galleries in a unlisted gallery and the backgrounds do appear even when not logged in.

Unlisted galleries are not useless. I was able to create a menu shortcut to an unlisted gallery. So users can navigate to that gallery using my menu but not using the browse function.

The unique filenames will make it more difficult to handle those but you can always create a custom page using a unique URL that shows content of an unlisted gallery. That URL is now easy to share...

I created a small little π-sign on the lower right corner of my website that links to a custom page that shows the content of my siteimages gallery. That gallery is included in the "Browse > DigitalPlayground"-folder but it is unlisted. The black aurora background is used in my firework galleries like here.

That little π-sign will disappear sooner or later. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    I have found an alternative workaround until SmugMug finds that some customers do like the way it used to work.

For now, I make all my galleries Public, but put a PWD at the top level of a tree and it automatically protects all the pics below.

The negative effects of this solution are:

--I need to give out the password to my entire family (for the family folder)
    --All galleries I want to hide are visible at the top level, even if someone can't get into them. In the world of security this gives an edge to someone trying to gain information. They now have the knowledge of the existence of such a folder.

In any case, I am happy for now to at least be able to block casual browsing of these folders even if their existence is known :(

Please test this for me in case I neglected some detail :)

Thank you

http://manny.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Pro Nerd, Amateur Photog CanadaPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    bartman01bartman01 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    That's the sort of functionality that Sharegroups were created for, I think they're available in the new SM?

ShareGroups are still available, but you can't make them look like the rest of your site.
  • Options
    milkweedphotomilkweedphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2013
    Serious bug. Unlisted galleries are useless
    This is terrible. I'm in the same boat. I was waiting for my SM membership to expire so I could make a move. After playing with the new site it appeared as though I'd finally be able to arrange the site as I wanted: galleries for family members that were unlisted, accessible to family with a link (yet un-breadcrumb-able to clients) with password-protected client galleries.

But the permissions/inherit tree structure is a terrible tangle--something that isn't apparent until you "unveil," which effectively renders your site useless till Smugmug fixes the mess. Exactly as OP described.

Also, from what I can see on my site, you cannot see featured images from password protected galleries. So if you unlist at folder level you get a blank page. If you password protect at gallery level you get a bunch of gray boxes, decorated with cheesy photo stack icons. Looks *awful* and feels incredibly frustrating after screwing around with the cumbersome yet limited (I cant resize content boxes to prevent fonts from getting cut off?) customize process for days.

Fie Smugmug! Should have known it was too good to be true. If only there was an easy way to get WHCC prints via Squarespace. This new Smugmug is very beta and was mos def not ready to be released into the wild.