Options

Smugmug migration

Comments

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Just use simple CSS to hide the button.
    It might be more helpful if you would actually post the code, Andy thumb.gif
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    It might be more helpful if you would actually post the code, Andy thumb.gif
    I'll pick up the slack beer.gif

#visitorMessage {display: none !important;}
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    My advice is to migrate - your site would take about 15 minutes to do in New SmugMug. And it would look so much better.
    He already answered that awhile back.... one of the many with no time, who just got his stuff looking the way he wanted... in July.. just in time to have to do it all over again. I think the myth of the 15 minutes has been debunked about 10,000 times already. Whether or not one is savvy with code-pasting. But why waste my breath.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    I'll pick up the slack beer.gif

#visitorMessage {display: none !important;}
    That'd be great, cuz I'd have no clue what code would get rid of something SmugMug put there. Btw, what DOES that button mean, exactly? (I'm serious...)
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    That'd be great, cuz I'd have no clue what code would get rid of something SmugMug put there. Btw, what DOES that button mean, exactly? (I'm serious...)

It migrates you to the sandbox mode. In sandbox you can play with the New SmugMug while keeping your Legacy site for the visitors.

To completely switch over you have to click Unveil on your new SmugMug site, then literally type in "unveil" into a text box to confirm the action.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    It migrates you to the sandbox mode. In sandbox you can play with the New SmugMug while keeping your Legacy site for the visitors.

To completely switch over you have to click Unveil on your new SmugMug site, then literally type in "unveil" into a text box to confirm the action.
    You're telling me that with that one click of that button we'd be migrating??!! I pray not. I mean, if that's the case, that is truly NOT COOL. Some of us need to do a lot of steps before migrating. At least the old button (the one we had to go searching for) clearly said "Migrate". Ok, I'm going to wait to hear a clarification before I freak out any more. I mean, I'm praying you mean that we'd click that button & then there would be some more stuff & another button that actually starts the migration process!! If not, seriously... what...

And yes, I know exactly how migration - unveil works. (or is supposed to work) But you guys really need to stop saying these same lines that make it sound like there's a complete firewall between Legacy & NewSmug. Because there isn't, & then you just get people mad when they find out there isn't. Tell them the truth... that there are a few things that they should do before migrating, and that there are some things in New that will affect Old. If you're simply honest about those facts, then we'd see a lot fewer problems & anger here in the forums when people then feel they've been misled. And that stuff can't look good in Google searches.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    You're telling me that with that one click of that button we'd be migrating??!! I pray not. I mean, if that's the case, that is truly NOT COOL. Some of us need to do a lot of steps before migrating. At least the old button (the one we had to go searching for) clearly said "Migrate". Ok, I'm going to wait to hear a clarification before I freak out any more. I mean, I'm praying you mean that we'd click that button & then there would be some more stuff & another button that actually starts the migration process!! If not, seriously... what...

Correct. Don't click it if you don't want to migrate, or hide it with the CSS I provided. Or just migrate to Sandbox mode and PLAY!
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    Correct. Don't click it if you don't want to migrate, or hide it with the CSS I provided. Or just migrate to Sandbox mode and PLAY!
    For crying out loud. Seriously? (I was editing my post to explain my concern while you posted, so please see that) Ok, c'mon, SmugMug, let's be fair--- that is really quite nasty to people. SmugMug absolutely needs to make this clear -- that clicking that button starts Migration! What point is there in having people mistakenly hitting that button & thinking they're just taking a look at examples of New SmugMug (which is what I absolutely thought, & am sure most people would!) Please get word to the higher-ups that, hey, you're gonna have a lot of angry people who had no clue they were starting the process when hitting that button. Wow, just think if I'd have hit that. You'd have already broken my 10s of 1000s of multi-keywords. This is truly not cute.
  • Options
    ElyEly Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    My advice is to migrate - your site would take about 15 minutes to do in New SmugMug. And it would look so much better.

I will eventually. I just fear it will be more than 15 minutes and that there will be lots of problems to fix.I will look into it when I know I have at least a couple of hours to work on things properly.

Question: will there be an Advance Customization where I could enter the current ones by copying and pasting them? I am assuming the basic customization (like background, themes etc) will migrate automatically, right? What about the bio section which is my current slideshow? I was recommended to switch to the new one but when i tried I didnt like it and just reversed back to the original one. Which proves my main fear that there will be things I will have to entirely change with the migration and that will create a domino effect....
    For instance someone said javascript wont be migrated....I actually entered some codes in that section and now I dont even remember what are there for.....
    Sorry to be a pain, but I am really a bit lost at the moment. Thanks!
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    Ely wrote: »
    For instance someone said javascript wont be migrated....I actually entered some codes in that section and now I dont even remember what are there for.....!

I've been there - it's funny coming back to something you did ages ago if you forgot to add comments :)

Why don't you post up the javascript here and see if anyone else here remembers what that code does and how you handle it nowadays. Most likely you copied it from somewhere so it will be recognisable and we should be able to tell you either what you do instead or if you can't use it any more. Start with just the javascript and maybe do the CSS later.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    I've been there - it's funny coming back to something you did ages ago if you forgot to add comments :)

Why don't you post up the javascript here and see if anyone else here remembers what that code does and how you handle it nowadays. Most likely you copied it from somewhere so it will be recognisable and we should be able to tell you either what you do instead or if you can't use it any more. Start with just the javascript and maybe do the CSS later.

Yeah all the codes I entered over 2 years ago were copied from this forum. That's why I am sort of panicking at the thought of having to get through all of them all over again as I dont remember anything hehe.

The only javascript codes I have are in the FOOTER JAVASCRIPT section:

function hasPath(sPath)
    {
    re = new RegExp("\/" + sPath + "(\/|$)");
    return re.test(window.location)
    }
    if (hasPath("galleries"))
    YD.addClass(document.body, "galleries");

Thank you so so much for your help!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited October 8, 2013
    Ely wrote: »
    Yeah all the codes I entered over 2 years ago were copied from this forum. That's why I am sort of panicking at the thought of having to get through all of them all over again as I dont remember anything hehe.

The only javascript codes I have are in the FOOTER JAVASCRIPT section:

function hasPath(sPath)
    {
    re = new RegExp("\/" + sPath + "(\/|$)");
    return re.test(window.location)
    }
    if (hasPath("galleries"))
    YD.addClass(document.body, "galleries");

Thank you so so much for your help!
    That code isn't needed in the new smug. It was a hack to move your galleries page off of the home page, needed in legacy not in new smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Applauds Denise clap.gif . What this means practically is that when you go to set up your new site you have to edit the home page and just remove the galleries from it. This is very straightforward to do.

How about posting your CSS next?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited October 8, 2013
    I think the myth of the 15 minutes has been debunked about 10,000 times already. Whether or not one is savvy with code-pasting. But why waste my breath.
    I really wish that you would stop writing long posts that are based in fear and uncertainty as opposed to the reality of the new smug.

Some people have extensive customization that will need time to migrate. Some don't. And some - like me - took a look at what was available in the new smug and jumped in to use the new features without looking back.

My legacy site was heavily customized to support more levels than was possible in legacy and to present large thumbs on my replacement category and subcategory pages. I also had a fair number of assorted other customizations. I took a couple of hours to just play in the new world, learning what was available and what I wanted to use. I think it took all of an hour to create the 3 pages linked from my navbar and to essentially put my new site in place. At that point I unveiled my site.

Yes, there are a few things that I would like to see changed. I've entered feature requests for those, and in the meantime I'm enjoying the much improved look of my new site.

I know there are people who made extensive use of javascript who will need to wait to see if the customizations they were using are replaced by something in the new world - but there are also many who did not.

You are speaking based on posts you have read as opposed to speaking based on the reality of migrating your own site. I don't understand why you don't migrate to see what your own reality will be. You don't need to unveil right now if you don't want to - but at least start a connection to reality.

--- Denise
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    I really wish that you would stop writing long posts that are based in fear and uncertainty as opposed to the reality of the new smug.

Some people have extensive customization that will need time to migrate. Some don't. And some - like me - took a look at what was available in the new smug and jumped in to use the new features without looking back.

My legacy site was heavily customized to support more levels than was possible in legacy and to present large thumbs on my replacement category and subcategory pages. I also had a fair number of assorted other customizations. I took a couple of hours to just play in the new world, learning what was available and what I wanted to use. I think it took all of an hour to create the 3 pages linked from my navbar and to essentially put my new site in place. At that point I unveiled my site.

Yes, there are a few things that I would like to see changed. I've entered feature requests for those, and in the meantime I'm enjoying the much improved look of my new site.

I know there are people who made extensive use of javascript who will need to wait to see if the customizations they were using are replaced by something in the new world - but there are also many who did not.

You are speaking based on posts you have read as opposed to speaking based on the reality of migrating your own site. I don't understand why you don't migrate to see what your own reality will be. You don't need to unveil right now if you don't want to - but at least start a connection to reality.

--- Denise

+ 100 million thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    That code isn't needed in the new smug. It was a hack to move your galleries page off of the home page, needed in legacy not in new smug.

--- Denise

Thanks!
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013

--- Denise

+1 from me too. I was TOTALLY frustrated with New Smugmug - didn't help with lack of help resources in the first few days - but once I got the hang of how it is set up I decided to create what I wanted and could without trying to recreate my Legacy site. Sure there are still things I'm waiting for but I can get by and live with the limitations until Smugmug gets around to them.
    And people like Denise, Allen, Lamah and Quark are so helpful its just fantastic what they do.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    +1 from me too. I was TOTALLY frustrated with New Smugmug - didn't help with lack of help resources in the first few days - but once I got the hang of how it is set up I decided to create what I wanted and could without trying to recreate my Legacy site. Sure there are still things I'm waiting for but I can get by and live with the limitations until Smugmug gets around to them.
    And people like Denise, Allen, Lamah and Quark are so helpful its just fantastic what they do.

And don't forget about me Ace! thumb.gif

Hahaha glad to see you are enjoying the new SmugMug. I had a list of people I hoped would be happy...and you were high on the list!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013

--- Denise
    15524779-Ti.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    He already answered that awhile back.... one of the many with no time, who just got his stuff looking the way he wanted... in July.. just in time to have to do it all over again. I think the myth of the 15 minutes has been debunked about 10,000 times already. Whether or not one is savvy with code-pasting. But why waste my breath.
    :bigbs Anna Lisa, did you actually look at the site? There's nothing custom about it, some simple nav..... the newSite will be a HUGE UPGRADE.

You've got to stop talking about what you don't know :D

EDIT TO ADD:

I WILL CONVERT ELY'S SITE FOR FREE. Ely just has to holler at me. I can spare 15 minutes.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Y. Some of us need to do a lot of steps before migrating..
    I've said it before and I'll say again. You are way overcomplicating your online photo life.

Good grief, migrate, simplify and stop doing 88 different things on one website. It's about the PHOTOS (and yours are good). It's not about code, and all the complication.

Think for one serious minute with me, Anna Lisa: What if you could have all those HOURS AND HOURS you spend typing 1000 word posts on Dgrin and apply them to your art? $$$$$$$

Simplify.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2013
    Andy: I WILL CONVERT ELY'S SITE FOR FREE. Ely just has to holler at me. I can spare 15 minutes.

That's an unbeatable offer Ely but i would really recommend you take a shot at it yourself first as it is very easy and you start to get excited by the possibilities - something that won't happen if you just copy across your existing site. You will also then be much more comfortable about where everything is and how to change it in the future. If it starts to get messy I'm sure Andy or others here including me would be very happy to help - your site is very straightforward

Now go on, post your CSS and we'll see if there is anything that won't migrate there

Good luck

Rich

ps. can I suggest that we take the WinsomeWorks portion of this thread elsewhere as although i realise it is frustrating it risks messing up Ely's thread
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    I agree, let's get back on topic and Ely, that is a great offer so ............ :smo go for it!
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2013

I WILL CONVERT ELY'S SITE FOR FREE. Ely just has to holler at me. I can spare 15 minutes.

Wow thank you so much Andy. I think I may take up that offer :)
    Just give me a couple of days as I want to play around with the migration first and see what it will need your intervention. But I really really appreciate your offer help as I know I will need it.
    I will get in touch by the end of the week. super thanks again!
    That's an unbeatable offer Ely but i would really recommend you take a shot at it yourself first as it is very easy and you start to get excited by the possibilities - something that won't happen if you just copy across your existing site. You will also then be much more comfortable about where everything is and how to change it in the future. If it starts to get messy I'm sure Andy or others here including me would be very happy to help - your site is very straightforward

Now go on, post your CSS and we'll see if there is anything that won't migrate there

Good luck

Rich

ps. can I suggest that we take the WinsomeWorks portion of this thread elsewhere as although i realise it is frustrating it risks messing up Ely's thread

Thanks! I agree that I should try to play around with it first but I know I will need your lovely people's help! Will get back to you guys
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    OMG! I had no idea that clicking on "Check out the new Smugmug" would actually start migration! Thank God I didn't click it. That is so misleading--it looks like if you click it, you'll be taken to a page that describes what the new SM will be like so you can "check it out."

I have TONS of javascript, and I know I probably won't need all of it if I migrate, but I really don't want to do it.

I actually signed up for a trial SM site so that I could play around without touching my real site, and I have to say, after "checking out the new SmugMug" with a trial site, I really would prefer to stay with Legacy now that I have it the way I want it. The new SM is so counterintuitive that even after messing around with it for a week now, and only having about 8 photos on it, I still find it confusing to use. Also, it just doesn't look as nice as my Legacy site. I really hope Legacy won't go away for a long time--like forever. I hate to sound negative, but so far I've spent hours trying to familiarize myself with the new SM and not having a good time. I was so frustrated I wanted to scream

The silver lining, though, is the folks here are so helpful and nice, it's hard to stay mad. They helped out with tweaks. :feelgood
  • Options
    silverstreakssilverstreaks Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Migration oh no
    I'm totally with Ely on this one as I too joined Smugmug a couple of years back and I am perfectly happy with my current site. After being pestered to try out the new version I eventually pressed the button to have a look. I was horrified to discover the conversion I was faced with looked like the "Son of Flicker" and pretty ghastly. Yes I understand this is just a starting point but compared to the old one everything looks immensely complicated. Again like Ely I built my now lagacy site by following a simple guide which I found here on Digital Grin which listed the CSS virtually verbatim. What to put in and in which box to place it. Other that that I had no idea of CSS but followed the guide and I have been using it virtually untouched ever since. The thought of starting from scratch all over again without such a guide is a worrying scenario.

My site is a popular one within the UK Railway Enthusiast fraternity, the layout is a simple one for the visitor to navigate through and view. If I could have the same on the new Smugmug I would be happy but without a similar simple guide I just cant see me going over anytime soon.
    Regards
    Bob
    http://tracksrevisited.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    @silverstreaks
    Try here: http://help.smugmug.com/
    And here: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    And here: http://www.smugocity.com/
    And this forum.
    Anything new seems daunting at first - but once you get familiar with how the New Smug is set up, I'm sure you will find it much easier than you thought.
    I was completely lost at the start (neither of those two links existed) but I have a multi-level menu system and a collection of slideshows ... neither of which I was prepared to attempt in Legacy.
    I also took the attitude to set up my new website with something I wanted, rather than slavishly wanting everything to be identical to Legacy.
    Best of luck whichever way you decide - I guess I'm just saying don't use "it's too complicated" as an excuse ... because it is in fact easier to get stuff done in New Smug. (Can I get EVERYTHING I want? No - not yet - but I'm OK with that for the present.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2013
    I'm another of those who think that the new SmugMug is WAY better than the old one. You don't need as much CSS or javascript and you can do things you just couldn't in the old one - pages being a great example. BUT..... the help isn't that good for those that want to transition an existing site. If you go to http://help.smugmug.com/ then you get a very lovely video that shows off all the new features but it's a bit slow and if you just want to transition you aren't going to sit through it. So you then click on 'New Smugmug:transition' and a horrible thing happens, you get taken to a list of FAQ articles for new smug. What you were hoping for was a nice single page that explained the differences between the old and new and maybe some links for how to do stuff in new Smug that you used to do in old. Instead you just get a bit list of features and you haven't the slightest idea how to start :(

It's a pity really because a lot of the people who fear the change actually have very simple sites that will transition easily once people understand folders/galleries/pages the organizer and where they have to go to customise individual pages.

I remember that Microsoft did this fantastic thing when they moved from Office 2003 to 2007 where they have a website that showed you the old office interface and you could click on something and it would show you where you went in the new Office to do it. Truly brilliant.

Anyway, for those who fear it - don't and as AceCo55 says don't try to copy exactly what you had but rather embrace what can be done

Rich
  • Options
    silverstreakssilverstreaks Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    I'm another of those who think that the new SmugMug is WAY better than the old one. You don't need as much CSS or javascript and you can do things you just couldn't in the old one - pages being a great example. BUT..... the help isn't that good for those that want to transition an existing site. If you go to http://help.smugmug.com/ then you get a very lovely video that shows off all the new features but it's a bit slow and if you just want to transition you aren't going to sit through it. So you then click on 'New Smugmug:transition' and a horrible thing happens, you get taken to a list of FAQ articles for new smug. What you were hoping for was a nice single page that explained the differences between the old and new and maybe some links for how to do stuff in new Smug that you used to do in old. Instead you just get a bit list of features and you haven't the slightest idea how to start :(

It's a pity really because a lot of the people who fear the change actually have very simple sites that will transition easily once people understand folders/galleries/pages the organizer and where they have to go to customise individual pages.

I remember that Microsoft did this fantastic thing when they moved from Office 2003 to 2007 where they have a website that showed you the old office interface and you could click on something and it would show you where you went in the new Office to do it. Truly brilliant.

Anyway, for those who fear it - don't and as AceCo55 says don't try to copy exactly what you had but rather embrace what can be done

Rich

I certainly agree with your views regarding the lack of any easy to follow guide for those that wish to transition an existing site. When I view what smugmug have provided using my legacy content as I said in my opening message it just looks like another version of Flicker which I hate. Plus I cant say that Im enamoured with any of the new site designs. I guess what Im saying is I would just like an option to cut and paste from my lagacy to the new but alas thats impossible. At least on the old version there was a clear route to the page into which you could enter ones CSS via the main page Tools menu. God knows where that option is on the new smugmug. I keep dipping my toes in the new version but after about 5 mins I get so frustrated and pack it in. I like the simpleness of my legacy set-up I dont have any wish to sell my images just any easy viewing and simple navigation for those who visit it.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    The new smugmug would be great if all the common java script codes were baked in, and the bugs fixed.
    The list of these things is large and except for a very few items nothing has been fixed and it's been quite some time now.
    Many posts about problems are simply not responded to.

I've made the transition and have spent weeks applying work a rounds and getting it as best I can but have lost a lot of functionality.
    The order of the pictures in my galleries was trashed. Keywords doesn't work correctly. Original size no longer can be used in the slide show.
    The text block editor doesn't work. The list of problems goes on and on, as does the list of features lost.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com