Filenames Now Displayed In Organizer

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited March 15, 2016 in SmugMug Product News
We heard alot of feedback from our passionate Dgrin Community about showing the filename while in the organizer. Well, I am happy to announce, as of this morning, that is now possible! Simply toggle the filenames on/off using the switch in the upper right hand corner when in the gallery.

As always, let me know if you have questions or feedback!

2013-09-24_1152-X3.png

Comments

• southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
  • guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    Thank you!

Ditto, thanks makes things a lot easier!
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    Well... before peoples get too exited about that feature... it does not show the *FULL* filename if you have longer filenames then normal. It get cut off and looks different on different browsers... see screenshot. Anyway... a highly appreciated feature. Would be nice if we could change the spacing between the thumbs (EDIT:or get original aspect ratio thumbs) to get more text for the filename. Just an idea...
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Well... before peoples get too exited about that feature... it does not show the *FULL* filename if you have longer filenames then normal. It get cut off and looks different on different browsers... see screenshot. Anyway... a highly appreciated feature. Would be nice if we could change the spacing between the thumbs (EDIT:or get original aspect ratio thumbs) to get more text for the filename. Just an idea...

Thanks! Sent the feedback off, but that would probably be a much larger project. I think this experiment shows me that I need to make shorter, custom filenames that have something to do with the photo (ie: Cambodia_145)
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    Cool beans. Thanks!
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    Thankfully, we can expand the box on the left to see more of the file and volume names and push it back at will.
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Thanks! Sent the feedback off, but that would probably be a much larger project. I think this experiment shows me that I need to make shorter, custom filenames that have something to do with the photo (ie: Cambodia_145)

Thx for that...

Well... good old legacy SmugMug ;-) See Screenshot below. The editor for captions and keywords shows the complete filename. And this is where i need it.

The reason why i rename all files on import with date/time, camera, lens and other things is that SM once did show the wrong date (date modified instead of date taken). With the photo info button people always get the correct date no matter what SM currently displays (ok, this is fixed... for now).
    When i add the keywords i do not have to check the exifs for each photo, i just have a look to the filename which already includes most of my relevant keyowrds. So the naming scheme me is currently using is part of my workflow.

Naming all photos like Cambodia_145.jpg might be good for traveling. But the gallery on my screenshot above list animals in a zoo and there are thousands of it. If i name them animal_145.jpg this would not be very helpful since i generate the caption out of it.

I think there are a few others also have long filenames so i think working on it might help some others also, but really not a high priority.

If you have a closer look to collage landscape and collage portrait with titles/captions shown in a bottom bar, you will notice that when using landscape captions titles are cut off also. This is why i use portrait for this gallery. It shows a larger caption (at least the complete animals description i need, i still don't use titles since the organizer-tool/editor doesn't support it) so i can copy+paste it when edit captions for newly uploaded photos. I would not have a problem with the organizer offering an option to show icons in columns instead of grid just like collage portrait.

Another option might be single column/photo list that shows more info then filename only. I applied a second screenshot below which is my filemanager with enabled preview mode.

Just ideas to improve it...
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2013
    This is awesome! And I love how they are also displayed under the images when you go to edit keywords and captions. I only wish titles were also shown there for editing!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2013
    kimbomac wrote: »
    I only wish titles were also shown there for editing!

That would indeed be sweet!
  • Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    That would indeed be sweet!

Well, but how do I CHANGE a file name?

Thanks,

tompotterphotography.com
    Tom Potter
    www.tompotterphotography.com
    Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
    Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
    Focusing On Colorado
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 8, 2013
    Tom Potter wrote: »
    Well, but how do I CHANGE a file name?
    Answered here.

--- Denise
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2016
    nope, not working
    I do recall having seen it working once before, but it isn't working for me now.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
    edited March 11, 2016
    synature wrote: »
    I do recall having seen it working once before, but it isn't working for me now.
    Do you have the option selected? There are 2 "boxes" in the top right of the organizer screen. Clicking the left one shows only the thumbnails, clicking the right one shows thumbnails plus file names.

--- Denise
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2016
    Do you have the option selected? There are 2 "boxes" in the top right of the organizer screen. Clicking the left one shows only the thumbnails, clicking the right one shows thumbnails plus file names.

--- Denise

Not any more. Those boxes do nothing.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
    edited March 11, 2016
    That's interesting - they work for me.

My earlier screen shot was grabbed from the Edge browser after I saw your post this morning. I just checked the latest releases of Chrome and Firefox on Windows and they both show the file names in Organizer if requested.

What browser are you using?
    Have you tried an alternative browser?
    Have you tried clearing the browser cache?

Maybe the smug heroes have something else to try or knowledge of an environment where this feature is known to show a problem.

--- Denise
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2016

Sometimes when icons are not clickable, it's because I have changed the zoom on my browser window, off of 100%. If you check that, does it fix the problem?
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited March 15, 2016
    You have to be in a gallery for the boxes to be clickable. If you're currently in a folder they will not be clickable, though they will be visible.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations