Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Chris H wrote: »
    Well finally managed to get my site updated. Love the way new smugmug works and having learnt from the legacy version I decided to keep CSS to a minimum and work with what smugmug had to offer. They used my architectural shots as the basis for the 'Arrow' template but I actually chose 'Turbo' as the template for my site and worked from there. Just need to upload about 40 shoots now and a dozen magazine articles and I'm there i think, ha!

http://www.chrishumphreys.net

i'm with him above, great shots! love the site too....very clean. Making me want to rethink mine! how do you get on the photo of the week??
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited February 24, 2014
    Your site looks great! It's clean, effective, highlights your work nicely.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited February 24, 2014
    Beautiful! I agree with Chris, love the site and your photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Well finally managed to get my site updated. Love the way new smugmug works and having learnt from the legacy version I decided to keep CSS to a minimum and work with what smugmug had to offer. They used my architectural shots as the basis for the 'Arrow' template but I actually chose 'Turbo' as the template for my site and worked from there. Just need to upload about 40 shoots now and a dozen magazine articles and I'm there i think, ha!

Beautiful site. One little thing I noticed, the word "reserved" wraps to a 2nd line. You may not have intended this? It doesn't fix itself if I resize a browser window. Image reduced in size to fit DG limits.
  • Options
    tomoscotttomoscott Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Beautiful site. One little thing I noticed, the word "reserved" wraps to a 2nd line. You may not have intended this? It doesn't fix itself if I resize a browser window. Image reduced in size to fit DG limits.

I noticed that too. You could probably drop the "All Rights Reserved" clause, since that's exactly what copyright means.

And I agree with ChancyRat -- beautifully done site.
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    tomoscott wrote: »
    I noticed that too. You could probably drop the "All Rights Reserved" clause, since that's exactly what copyright means.

And I agree with ChancyRat -- beautifully done site.

Ah thanks for pointing that out, I never spotted that! Think you get a bit punch drunk looking at these sites after a while. Thanks for the nice comments also.
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    I am doing a new design for my website and I would like to ask all of you to help me out and go to my current website. I want to know if this was your website what you'd change about it or add to it. Any advice or comments are welcomed here is the site www.k-ophotography.com
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    ko04 wrote: »
    I am doing a new design for my website and I would like to ask all of you to help me out and go to my current website. I want to know if this was your website what you'd change about it or add to it. Any advice or comments are welcomed here is the site www.k-ophotography.com

I really like your colour scheme, fonts and background, very easy on the eyes. You have a couple of apostrophes where they shouldn't be: "In My Eye's" should be "In My Eyes", and "Smith Family Photo's" should be "Smith Family Photos".

Imagine that you're a client, you're checking out the Wedding Photography gallery, and you like what you see. Where do you go next? I think you should add some text and a link to that page that guides visitors to your contact page to make a booking. Otherwise it's not really clear if you're available for wedding photography or not.

I'm not a fan of making the thumbnail really hard to see (by darkening it) when you hover over it. if you move your cursor to point at a thumbnail, doesn't that mean you're interested in seeing it? Perhaps dithering over whether you want to open in the lightbox or not? Darkening it is really unhelpful.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014

Your site looks superb Chris, very impressive! I particularly like the 3 'mini slideshows?" at the top and the text below. Is that easily achievable or part of the Turbo template?

Best wishes,
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    caroline wrote: »
    Your site looks superb Chris, very impressive! I particularly like the 3 'mini slideshows?" at the top and the text below. Is that easily achievable or part of the Turbo template?

Best wishes,
    Caroline

Very easy in any template Caroline. Just put three standard slideshows side by side and adjust the margins on the left and right sides to zero. I also turned off the titles for the minimal look.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Very easy in any template Caroline. Just put three standard slideshows side by side and adjust the margins on the left and right sides to zero. I also turned off the titles for the minimal look.

Thanks Chris thumb.gif
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    ADWheelerADWheeler Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    adwheelerphotography.com
    Got my SM to match my responsive blog about as close as I can. Lovin' the new SM!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    ADWheeler wrote: »
    Got my SM to match my responsive blog about as close as I can. Lovin' the new SM!! thumb.gif

love the zoom effect on the thumbnails but I'm wondering why it is on some galleries and not others?
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    keithmtxkeithmtx Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2014
    A work in progress
    Using the Recent tab as a make shift photo blog with a new page for each posting.
    Smugmug does not offer blogging, right?

http://digitalaspirations.com

Keith
  • Options
    paddopaddo Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    hi! here my website. thanks all for helping me during the setup... I hope you like, enjoy and write me your comment and suggestions!
    www.stefanositzia.com
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    ADWheeler wrote: »

that is awesome, how did you get that zoom effect??
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Still in progress..... as usual :/
    I know you posted some time ago and I haven't seen any replies, but I noticed that while your homepage header/menu and footer are centred, the featured image is left-justified.

It looks a little odd. Did you intend this?
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Since I changed my main site (Wordpress) theme a few weeks ago. I went ahead and changed my SM site to match. It isn't 100% because SM doesn't work the same as Wordpress, but it's good enough. I added custom Portfolio pages, and added a large "header" page on each of the galleries (SM Thumbnail Gallery).

Wish SM would allow JS so I could use "my" mobile device navigation like Wordpress. Also I couldn't use the font 'Genericons' (@font-face {font-family:'Genericons';}), so I used SM's fonts 'SmugMug Icon Font Regular' and 'SmugMug Icon Font Small' to recreate the social icons and custom breadcrumb icons around the site.

Anyway, here it is: http://mike.imagesinthebackcountry.com/
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    I really like your colour scheme, fonts and background, very easy on the eyes. You have a couple of apostrophes where they shouldn't be: "In My Eye's" should be "In My Eyes", and "Smith Family Photo's" should be "Smith Family Photos".

Imagine that you're a client, you're checking out the Wedding Photography gallery, and you like what you see. Where do you go next? I think you should add some text and a link to that page that guides visitors to your contact page to make a booking. Otherwise it's not really clear if you're available for wedding photography or not.

I'm not a fan of making the thumbnail really hard to see (by darkening it) when you hover over it. if you move your cursor to point at a thumbnail, doesn't that mean you're interested in seeing it? Perhaps dithering over whether you want to open in the lightbox or not? Darkening it is really unhelpful.

Thank you for you thoughts you bring up some great suggestions
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    Since I changed my main site (Wordpress) theme a few weeks ago. I went ahead and changed my SM site to match. It isn't 100% because SM doesn't work the same as Wordpress, but it's good enough. I added custom Portfolio pages, and added a large "header" page on each of the galleries (SM Thumbnail Gallery).

Wish SM would allow JS so I could use "my" mobile device navigation like Wordpress. Also I couldn't use the font 'Genericons' (@font-face {font-family:'Genericons';}), so I used SM's fonts 'SmugMug Icon Font Regular' and 'SmugMug Icon Font Small' to recreate the social icons and custom breadcrumb icons around the site.

Anyway, here it is: http://mike.imagesinthebackcountry.com/

I've always been a fan of website and your work great job Mike!
  • Options
    wowographywowography Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    www.wowography.com
    I started with the Smokey template and made custom modifications based on the amazing resources of this forum Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    wowography wrote: »
    www.wowography.com
    I started with the Smokey template and made custom modifications based on the amazing resources of this forum Thanks everyone!

Pretty amazing!! Love the homepage too. I think you do need to rework your about me page, all the white font blends into the background image. Its hard to read. Other than that, GREAT shots.
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    Beautiful site, love the home page!
    I had a very hard time reading the white text on your about page with that particular background.
    I also love the "back to top" button at the bottom of your gallery images. I wish SmugMug would implement this as well.

Thanks for the feedback, Oops..I did not realize this page was built using different theme. I have corrected & thanks again!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    ko04 wrote: »
    I've always been a fan of website and your work great job Mike!

Thanks Keith! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    JeffC230 wrote: »
    Pretty amazing!! Love the homepage too. I think you do need to rework your about me page, all the white font blends into the background image. Its hard to read. Other than that, GREAT shots.

Thanks Jeff for commenting on my site. I noticed your web page recently and based on my visit I undertook the "Back to Top" addition after seeing it implemented so well on your site. Eventually I'll replace the text with an arrow!
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    wowography wrote: »
    Thanks Jeff for commenting on my site. I noticed your web page recently and based on my visit I undertook the "Back to Top" addition after seeing it implemented so well on your site. Eventually I'll replace the text with an arrow!

Glad I could help! :) if you google "arrow.png", and just take the image source, you can replace it in the code! You can pretty much use anything. I almost used a middle finger but thought twice about it haha
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    essex1970essex1970 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Hi everyone, just stopping by to say you got beautiful website out there! great job all!
    Seb.
  • Options
    rogerdale55rogerdale55 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2014
    I'm new to Smugmug this week :)
    Please take a look at the site I'm building (work in progress ). Any likes or dislikes and recommendations are appreciated. I still have to build an About Me page with sub pages for Camera Gear,Software and Favorite Places. I'm new to the forum and looking forward to participating.

http://essenceoflight.smugmug.com/

Thanks Roger
  • Options
    tomoscotttomoscott Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2014
    Please take a look at the site I'm building (work in progress ). Any likes or dislikes and recommendations are appreciated. I still have to build an About Me page with sub pages for Camera Gear,Software and Favorite Places. I'm new to the forum and looking forward to participating.

Thanks Roger

Very nice site, Roger, and you have some fine photos on there, too.

I would consider the following:
    • get rid of the "Browse" menu item. You already have menu items for your galleries and videos; the Browse just adds an element of confusion, IMO.
    • similarly, I'm not sure what function the menu item "Portfolio" has. Are these your favorites? I think those images are all in your galleries as well.
    • if this is going to be your main web sight, then I would point essenceoflight.com directly to it.
    • consider eliminating the SmugMug footer; it causes some branding confusion, unless this is just a personal site for you and your friends.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2014

Thanks Roger

To add on to from above me, I noticed you have your social links all over the place haha. However, Flickr is missing on the bottom row, but are added on the left and right. I'm a man of symmetry so its just bugging me.

Also, everything just seems....small. I really think you should get rid of the side links for your social stuff, and widen your whole page. Just seems like ads on a website that just take up room.
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action