Options

Keyword weirdness (catastrophic)

124»

Comments

• Options
    yaypieyaypie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Yesterday I found 10 different keywords that were split. I have not touched the photo containing
    galleries or these keywords for a long time. I have cleaned up all split keywords weeks ago, so
    this is something new Smug is screwing up.

We don't update the keywords for an image unless you edit that image's metadata (title, description, keywords, etc). If you didn't touch the image, we wouldn't have touched its stored keywords.

As always, links to specific images would be a great help in tracking down problems. Without specifics, there's not much I can do.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    yaypie wrote: »
    We don't update the keywords for an image unless you edit that image's metadata (title, description, keywords, etc). If you didn't touch the image, we wouldn't have touched its stored keywords.

As always, links to specific images would be a great help in tracking down problems. Without specifics, there's not much I can do.
    None of the galleries these KW'd photos were in or these KW's anywhere been touched in a long time.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    None of the galleries these KW'd photos were in or these KW's anywhere been touched in a long time.

Is there anything I can help you with, or are you just venting? I'm happy to try to figure out what happened, but like I said, I'll need details. If there are bugs, I can't fix them until I can find them.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    Is there anything I can help you with, or are you just venting? I'm happy to try to figure out what happened, but like I said, I'll need details. If there are bugs, I can't fix them until I can find them.
    My question is why after fixing all the split keywords some time ago are more showing up? Seems
    indexing is not consistent every time it runs if it's following a specific set of rules. This was just
    a heads up.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    There's a limited set of circumstances that can cause an image's keywords to be reindexed. We don't just periodically reindex things. Here are some typical things that could cause an image to be reindexed:
    • A change to the image's keywords, caption, title, filename or geo data.
    • Moving an image to a different album.
    • Deleting an image (or an album or folder containing an image) and having a support hero restore it.
    • Changing privacy settings on an image, or on an album or folder that contains an image.
    • Setting or changing a site password.
    If you're sure you hadn't touched these images, chances are something else on that list happened that triggered a reindexing. I may have missed something since search indexing isn't my primary area of expertise, but something somewhere had to trigger the indexing.

Back when I was working on improvements to the keyword parser, I recommended not going crazy with fixing your broken keywords until after the new parser was released, because I wanted to save you the trouble of having to fix things twice. I tried. :)
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    There's a limited set of circumstances that can cause an image's keywords to be reindexed. We don't just periodically reindex things. Here are some typical things that could cause an image to be reindexed:
    • Deleting an image (or an album or folder containing an image) and having a support hero restore it.
    • Changing privacy settings on an image, or on an album or folder that contains an image.
    If you're sure you hadn't touched these images, chances are something else on that list happened that triggered a reindexing. I may have missed something since search indexing isn't my primary area of expertise, but something somewhere had to trigger the indexing.

Back when I was working on improvements to the keyword parser, I recommended not going crazy with fixing your broken keywords until after the new parser was released, because I wanted to save you the trouble of having to fix things twice. I tried. :)
    About 4 of the 10 were from my bird galleries, the rest from passworded family galleries.

Not sure if this would trigger it. I moved all my monthly bird folders into recently created
    year folders. Although sounded like a great idea, much easier to read in organizer and in
    breadcrumbs, every folder and gallery had links that have to be corrected. Keepin' me busy.

was
    /Birds/2011-Birding
    /Birds/Birding-2011-May
    now
    /Birds/2011-Birding/Birding-2011-May

BTW (side note), in my passworded family smart galleries the "From"'s are messed up.
    Every "From" that shows is from another family smart gallery not the originating gallery
    of the photo. All these smart galleries were created with keywords.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    Not sure if this would trigger it. I moved all my monthly bird folders into recently created year folders.

Aha! Yep, that'd do it.
    BTW (side note), in my passworded family smart galleries the "From"'s are messed up.
    Every "From" that shows is from another family smart gallery not the originating gallery
    of the photo. All these smart galleries were created with keywords.

Interesting. I'm not very knowledgeable about smart galleries, but I suspect that what's happening is the from field is showing you where the behind-the-scenes keyword search that's used to build the smart gallery first found that photo, which just happened to be in another smart gallery and not the photo's original gallery.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    Aha! Yep, that'd do it.

Interesting. I'm not very knowledgeable about smart galleries, but I suspect that what's happening is the from field is showing you where the behind-the-scenes keyword search that's used to build the smart gallery first found that photo, which just happened to be in another smart gallery and not the photo's original gallery.
    That's an interesting dilemma, on one hand any smart photo in a smart gallery should not be indexed,
    let it be indexed in its original gallery. But some people draw from unlisted galleries that can't be
    indexed. Maybe a toggle in smart gallery settings to direct/force indexing only to original galleries.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    Logged in I see the originating gallery in "From". Logged out I do not, only other smart galleries as "From".
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    Logged in I see the originating gallery in "From". Logged out I do not, only other smart galleries as "From".

Ah, if the original gallery is unlisted, that could explain it. Revealing its existence to anyone but the owner would be bad.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    Ah, if the original gallery is unlisted, that could explain it. Revealing its existence to anyone but the owner would be bad.
    All my family photo galleries are fully public/searchable, ext links on, not unlisted. The PW stops everyone
    from getting in. Logged out using IE I see family keywords on /keyword page. But I have entered
    the PW to get into a family gallery. This is one of the things I've wanted for years, entering a PW
    for a gallery, those KW's in the gallery are added to the KW could. Just like owner logging in does.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2014

I'm getting new errors with keywords on images that I recently collected into a smart gallery. A number of images that were previously keyworded with "jeff h" have now split into keywords "jeff" and "h." Others keyworded as "chris l" are now split into "chris" and "l." Images that weren't collected to the smart gallery weren't reindexed.

Should I fix them or wait for the new parser? I'm assuming none of these new errors will be automatically fixed since they are now incorrectly indexed.

Edit: The issue is definitely with single multi-word keywords... ie nothing but two words separated by a space. They are sometimes being parsed as two separate keywords and other times being parsed correctly as a single keyword. Are quotes now required around multi-word keywords?

Dave
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I'm getting new errors with keywords on images that I recently collected into a smart gallery. A number of images that were previously keyworded with "jeff h" have now split into keywords "jeff" and "h." Others keyworded as "chris l" are now split into "chris" and "l." Images that weren't collected to the smart gallery weren't reindexed.

Should I fix them or wait for the new parser? I'm assuming none of these new errors will be automatically fixed since they are now incorrectly indexed.

The new parser went live back in February, so any keywords being parsed now are using it. It sounds like what happened is your old keyword data was this:
    jeff h

The new parser would see that there are no delimiter characters and no quotes there, so it assumes you're using spaces as delimiters and turns it into the keywords "jeff" and "h". To preserve the space when you have a single keyword that contains a space, wrap it in quotes, like this:
    "jeff h"

I wrote a more detailed description of how the new parser works earlier in this thread. Hope that helps!