Thumbnail cropping doesn't stick

einateinat Major grinsPosts: 189Registered Users Major grins

I put a lot of thought into my thumbnail crops, but they just don't stick. Sometimes it looks fine when I'm logged in, but awful when I'm not. Sometimes it looks just as bad when I am logged in. I noticed this a few months ago and fixed it throughout all the galleries, and just found out that it's all awkward, again.

What's going wrong here?

This is my site: www.einatix.com
Most galleries' styles are "smugmug" (all galleries under "travel" apart from Krakow, all "nature", "after dark", art", "people", "architecture" and "miscellaneous")

Thanks for any help (-:

Comments

• leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,484Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee

How are you selecting the Thumbnail crops? Are you using the "Crop Thumbnail" tool?

SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • einateinat Major grins Posts: 189Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 25, 2019

Yes, I do, the 1:1 ratio.
    I've also emailed support, and Lindy is already trying to look into it, though her shift has just ended.
    So if you've come across this problem in the past or if you have the solution at hand, then it's great.
    But I don't think it's I have to occupy 2 different people on it, it seems unfair if I do.

• AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,543Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 25, 2019

A couple hours ago I cropped 8 photos in a gallery 1x1. In just a few minutes they all were cropped.
    Looking now every one has lost its crop. Never logged out.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog

Is Smugmug working on fixing the bug?

• David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 12,329Administrators moderator

When I first spotted this thread, I re-cropped many of my gallery thumbs (1x1's) and all have stayed that way. Just did some more, and all still good (in Chrome). Might be limited to certain browsers or OS's.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

I use chrome and I have also observed the problem on IE11. Mindy from SM tried with firefox and verified the problem there too.

• David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 12,329Administrators moderator

Old Mac OS and older Chrome browser, in my case.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,543Registered Users Major grins

Using FF v65 cropped 4 thumbs to 1x1 with some zoom in each of two galleries an hour ago.
    Just looked and all the crops have reverted to original ratio.

My Website | My Blog

Just noticed, the "edit" is missing from posts.

My Website | My Blog

I have three posts in this thread and all are listed as post "9476". Did this software stop counting?

My Website | My Blog

I guess the "posts" all increment on refresh. There is no "edit delete" posts button or I would delete my last two posts.

My Website | My Blog

Just checked past galleries and have lost 14 years of cropped photos.

My Website | My Blog

Hi Allen,
    The bad new is, as Mindy from SM wrote to me a few days ago:
    "There's not a way to recover or rescue a thumbnail crop"
    The cropping info is just gone.

And the even worse news is that I have a feeling they're not looking into it, because my last email went un-answered, I wrote to Lindy who picked up the correspondence after Mindy, and then got this answer from Heather:
    "I read your email thread with Lindy and we do not have any updates about the crop issue at this time."

I'm not sure if it means they're working on it but no news yet or that they haven't started digging into it. But the silence on their part is not very promising.

Thing is, it's a feature I loved, payed for (am paying for) and have spent a lot of time on. It seems that it has not been working for months, and I am surprised that it has gone unnoticed.

edited February 10, 2019

Found an old screen shot of the thumbs from 10/2018. It shows how all the crops are lost today.

This cancels 1000's of hours of my work as I cropped many photos since 2005.
    I've probably cropped between 50,000 and 80,000 photos.

My Website | My Blog
    edited February 10, 2019

With their system all images are assigned version numbers. Don't remember what they use but something like this. -1-Ti.jpg, -2-Ti.jpg. etc.
    So they could search for latest version of each thumb and repopulate all thumbs with their latest versions.

The 1st thumb above has this link. Notice the -1-Ti.jpg. Any change to that thumb would have a -2-Ti.jpg
    https: //photos.smugmug.com/Birds/2015-Birding/Birding-2015-January/2015-01-03-Ivory-Gull/i-864t9vs/1/4166d853/Ti/IMG_5358_7D2-1-Ti.jpg

Looks like they change the photo version and ID with ever update.
    /0/3c625a1f/ - /1/747b2173/ - /3/d6b2a317/
    They could search on the photo file number string "IMG_5358_7D2" and find latest thumb.

@einat said:
    Hi Allen,
    The bad new is, as Mindy from SM wrote to me a few days ago:
    "There's not a way to recover or rescue a thumbnail crop"
    The cropping info is just gone.

My Website | My Blog
    edited February 10, 2019

This is what Smug refuses to fix. Now without cropping working we're stuck with heads cut off on thumbs.

Have to look back thru 14 years of photos to fix these even if there was a way.

My Website | My Blog

I changed all my galleries' styles from "classic smugmug" to collage landscape. Of course this doesn't solve anything, but it avoids the problem.

Hey Smugmug! Are you just going to hide this problem? I've lost 14 years of work.
    Every version of every photo including thumbs have unique image ID's and are saved in your archives.
    I would imagine the data could be search for every Th and Ti and the latest versions brought back.

How about at least a comment on fixing the current problem of cropping not working?

My Website | My Blog
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,484Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee
    edited February 18, 2019

Allen, we have an amazing set of Support Heroes who would love to look into issues and bug requests if you reach out to them via our help tools. I try to monitor DGrin as best as I can but with hundreds of threads getting tens of comments a day, it’s hard for me to track each of these. You can always direct message me if you’re looking to get attention on an issue.

Luckily someone reached out to the Heroes and we verified the issue and have created a bug ticket in our system. The engineering team has some big milestones that they’re working towards and won’t be able to get to this right away.

My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Hi Aaron,
    This:

@leftquark said:
    Luckily someone reached out to the Heroes and we verified the issue and have created a bug ticket in our system. The engineering team has some big milestones that they’re working towards and won’t be able to get to this right away.

Is nice 'news' - as in "something new". Because, as I've written a week ago:

@einat said:
    ... my last email went un-answered, I wrote to Lindy who picked up the correspondence after Mindy, and then got this answer from Heather:
    "I read your email thread with Lindy and we do not have any updates about the crop issue at this time."

I'm not sure if it means they're working on it but no news yet or that they haven't started digging into it. But the silence on their part is not very promising.

I did not get a straight answer until your post. at least now I know it is "registered".
    Since I have never actually reported a bug , I don't know how it works: how would I know when it is fixed so I can re-crop everything?

Still, I am surprised that this bug has not surfaced earlier. I have barely updated my site for a long time, then noticed the bug a few months ago, then fixed ALL crops, and then noticed it again a few weeks ago.

@einat said:
    Since I have never actually reported a bug , I don't know how it works: how would I know when it is fixed so I can re-crop everything?

Lindy filed the bug, potentially after your email with her. We keep track of all the customers impacted (based on who writes in) and when we close the bug ticket, the heroes then reach out to all of you to let you know its been fixed.

@leftquark said:
    We keep track of all the customers impacted (based on who writes in) and when we close the bug ticket, the heroes then reach out to all of you to let you know its been fixed.

Thanks, Aaron