A day of firsts

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited January 16, 2006 in Wildlife
Hello All,

The weather has been rainy/overcast and I've been spending lots of time at work lately. So I have only got to shoot about 2 dozen shots with my month old 400mm F5.6L. I especially wanted to try the 400 with the Tamron 1.4X TC to get an almost 900mm FOV :lust So I decided to take some time while the Sun was shining to test this combo.

I went to a park I had never visited (Coyote Hills Park). It's supposed to be a bird and raptor haven. I got to the parking lot and saw a harrier buzzing one of the hills. So I parked and gave chase (where's Jeff when you need him?...lol). Well he flew over the hill and left me 1/2 way up it. While waiting for him to come back my way, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look and saw something running out of the reeds towards me. At first I thought it was a big feral cat. Then, maybe a bobcat. As he came closer I could see that it was a kit fox. This little guy is the smallest in the fox family and weighs as much as a housecat.

52268419-L.jpg

When he heard the ka-chunk of my stealth Canon he stopped dead in his tracks....lol Then he took off running. I saw him a few more times in the next hour or so and he even let me get a profile shot of him :D

52258075-L.jpg

OK, I came to shoot birds right?..lol Well this place really was a haven for all kind of birds. I saw egrets, ducks, commorants, harriers, redtails, vultures and all sorts of small birds. I even saw a bird I've never seen before. I was standing by my car having a smoke break when I noticed a couple of feathers float by me, on the light breeze. Hmmm, that's odd. I hadn't noticed any dead birds or feathers on the ground. About 2 minutes later another couple of feathers drift by :scratch I turn around and the only thing I can see is this small robin-sized bird in a tree about 75 feet away. As I walk closer I see he has something in his claws. Then I see the legs dangling and some more feathers floating through the air.

52258083-L.jpg

Well I know what he's got in his claws, but what is he? Kind of looks like a kestral with those yellow rings around the eyes and while not as small as a kestral, he wasn't much bigger.

52258084-L.jpg

Geeze, all these twigs are messing up my shots and I can't get anound the tree to get a better perspective :cry This is the best I can come up with in hopes of ID'ing this little guy once home.

52258691-L.jpg

Perfect, a twig covering part of his beak....LOL Oh well, at least the cam/lens focused around it :D Once I got home I found out that this little guy is a member of the falcon family (like the kestral). He is a Merlin, or a Merlin Falcon. Never saw one before, I was pretty excited :clap

Anyhow, in between foxes and merlins :rofl I did find some harriers.

52265946-L.jpg

52258077-L.jpg

52258079-M.jpg

As I was leaving I stopped in the middle of the road to shoot this "kite in a tree" shot.

52268069-L.jpg

I had a great time out and I think this lens is a keeper :lust

Thank you for looking and as always comments and criticism welcome :):

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    I'd say it's a keeperthumb.gif

Nice series.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Great shots steve....isnt that a beaut lens !
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 14, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I'd say it's a keeperthumb.gif

Nice series.

Eric

Thanks Eric thumb.gif

Yep, I think me and this lens are going to have lots of good times together iloveyou.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Great shots steve....isnt that a beaut lens !

Thanks Gus :D

Yeah, this lens is sooooo nice it's going to force me sell my Bigma :cry This lens is better wide open, works better with a TC and is lighter and whiter.....lol But, boy, I'm sure gonna miss the zoomability of the Bigma.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    Thanks Gus :D

Yeah, this lens is sooooo nice it's going to force me sell my Bigma :cry This lens is better wide open, works better with a TC and is lighter and whiter.....lol But, boy, I'm sure gonna miss the zoomability of the Bigma.

Steve
    I have also found it best wide open.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 14, 2006
    Steve, great shots and that gol dam% twig! Either way, you got action shots.

Some Q's, as I'm looking at that combo myself:
    Are you shooting these handheld?
    Do you need to shoot bursts to get a sharp image of a bunch?
    What's the slowest shutter (& ISO) you can get away with?
    Thanks!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Is the Canon 400 5.6 AF faster with the Tamron extender than it is with the Canon extender (taped). I used the Canon the other day, it works, but as the books warned me, the loss of light, it slows the AF????

Thanks, ginger

(Do you handhold it for the flight shots??? you, yourself, not a "should you" question, smile.)

Do you use any kind of protective filter? I took mine off a few months ago, all has been well, but someone pointed out to me the other day that I should be using one. I have one on all my other lenses. I took it off of this lens to get a PERFECT shot one day,rolleyes1.gif .

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Steve,

Those are GREAT shots, wowthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 14, 2006
    Cool shots! I think you'll get used to it soon...looks like you 3/4 of the way
    there :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Nice series Steve, that lens does certainly produce sharp images, but lets not forget that for the lens to work well it needs a good eye behind the lens!

Since you asked for more critique in your last post:
    The first Fox shot looks a little over contrasty to me, maybe just my monitor, or maybe thats the way they are supposed to look. (I've never seen one). May also just be the side lighting casting the shadows.

Love the second shot, looks like he's posing for you. In and ideal world I'd like to see a catch light in his eye.

Nice find on the Merlin. I've never seen one of those either. Birders around here get very excited when one is seen. Some of the Merlins seem a tad noisy.

Great BIF's. I can't decide if there's a halo around the caudal aspect of the wing on the second one or if thats just the contrast between the light wing and the sky.

If thats too much rambling - you can just tell me to shutup, :D
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    who do you think put that sharp-shinned eating a bird by your car :D the fox is a great moment I have only see one and no picture :cry nice setthumb.gifclap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Wonderful thumb.gif

I guess I know where we're going on my next trip out, eh lol3.gif
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Very nice Steve. I especialy like the fox profile shot.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Hey Steve,

Nice work with your new glass. Don't you love shooting with a prime. The fox profile ad the merlin BIFs are wall hangers. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 14, 2006
    Great series Steve, you had quite a variation to choose from. The Merlin and the harriers were great!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited January 14, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Steve, great shots and that gol dam% twig! Either way, you got action shots.

Some Q's, as I'm looking at that combo myself:
    Are you shooting these handheld?
    Do you need to shoot bursts to get a sharp image of a bunch?
    What's the slowest shutter (& ISO) you can get away with?
    Thanks!

Thanks David :D

Yes, shooting handheld. I had 2 issues. I am not used to working with a super tele with a short and long focus switch. I had been shooting small birds last time I used it and the fox shots were really tough cuz I left it in 3.5m position rolleyes1.gif Also at almost 900mms of FOV, and despite it lighter weight, I am seriously thinking about picking up a monopod for the first time eek7.gif The first fox pic was shot at 1/500. With the wrong AF switch set and being a stop slow for handholding, I was lucky to get the shot at all.

Some of the Merlin shots were taken in One Shot. I am usually set to AI Servo when shooting birds. I got sharp shots (once I got the AF distance switch under control...lol) using both. Remember, even though the Tamron doesn't report aperture, it does slow the AF a bit. The 400 with TC focuses a touch slower than the Bigma with no TC. It does get lost easier, especially in a clear sky, much easier than the 400 bare. Anyhow, no I don't believe you have to shoot bursts to get sharp pics.

As mentioned, the first pics is 1/500 and was shot at ISO400. I believe all the rest were faster cuz I bumped the ISO after I realized I was getting too slow of speeds rolleyes1.gif But, I have read that Daniella goes as low as 1/50 using her monopod mwink.gif Since I had it set to F5.6 (F8 with the TC mounted) I could have gotten away with ISO400 for birds, but I like to get really fast speeds so I was shooting at 800.

This is one of Canon's premier birding/wildlife lenses and this combo gives even more reach. Once the storm passes, I'll try to go shoot and post some shots w/o the TC mounted thumb.gif

Thanks again for your comments and if you have any other 400mm questions, feel free to fire away,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is the Canon 400 5.6 AF faster with the Tamron extender than it is with the Canon extender (taped). I used the Canon the other day, it works, but as the books warned me, the loss of light, it slows the AF????

Thanks, ginger

(Do you handhold it for the flight shots??? you, yourself, not a "should you" question, smile.)

Do you use any kind of protective filter? I took mine off a few months ago, all has been well, but someone pointed out to me the other day that I should be using one. I have one on all my other lenses. I took it off of this lens to get a PERFECT shot one day,rolleyes1.gif .

ginger

Ginger,
    You know how fast the AF is on the 400 w/o a TC. It is blazing clap.gif The Tamron TC doesn't need to be taped and doesn't report aperture. But, I'm not sure if the AF is better/faster with the Tamron or the taped Canon ne_nau.gif Most of my issues came when I had the AF switch set to short focus rolleyes1.gif After that it did very well for a lens with a TC mounted. Least it did in my opinion. As an aside, I've tried this same TC on my 70-200 and it slows the AF down noticeably. Using it on the Bigma it slows the AF down so much that I find it unuseable for BIF shots :cry Then again, the Bigma is really at F6.3 at full tele, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, you do lose a stop of light. So even though you see F5.6 in the VF, the speeds you get reflect shooting at F8.

Regarding handholding, see my answer to David. I was macho man with the Bigma and it probably cost me quite a few shots. I would really recommend that this combo be used with a monopod for extra stabilization. Harder to track birds that way, but the increased stabilization may be well worth the bother ne_nau.gif Also, as I mentioned in my reply to David, Daniella says she can go down to 1/50 using a monopod. I can remember dozens of shots, I could have gotten (or gotten better) if I was able to use speeds this slow. A lightweight mono with a cheap ball head should do the trick :D

As far as filters go, nope I don't use them. Just the lenscap and hood. Thisis a personal choice. When I first got into digital I used a UV filter over my lens. I had a couple of reflection issues shooting night shots and have never used a protective filter since. Some people swear by them. It's a personal choice thing I guess.

Hey, so you're looking for that perfect shot too huh?...lol Aren't wa all? :):

I hope this info helps some,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Steve,

Those are GREAT shots, wowthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks Thusie :D

As I watch the rain come down, I am glad I got out to shoot yesterday....lol

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Cool shots! I think you'll get used to it soon...looks like you 3/4 of the way
    there :D

Ian

Thanks Ian :D

Your 3/4 of the way there comment is very accurate. I feel much more comfy today, as far as using this lens/combo, than I did yesterday. As the day progressed, I figured more and more out. I have used the Bigma for so long I know it's good and bad points by heart. It was kind of amazing how different these 2 lens act and handle. On reflection, I think I probably should have shot this lens bare for awhile, before trying to see what I could get out of the combo ne_nau.gif These pics are fine, but I think I can get more out of this combo and myself as I get more comfortable using them thumb.gif

When I finally got a clue about the AF distance switch, I thought of you and how you told Andy about it when he used your 500mm @ Elkhorn. Only after messing up did I think about this though....Laughing.gif That's my motto: No thought, before it's time :lol

Thanks for your comments Ian,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Nice series Steve, that lens does certainly produce sharp images, but lets not forget that for the lens to work well it needs a good eye behind the lens!

Since you asked for more critique in your last post:
    The first Fox shot looks a little over contrasty to me, maybe just my monitor, or maybe thats the way they are supposed to look. (I've never seen one). May also just be the side lighting casting the shadows.

Love the second shot, looks like he's posing for you. In and ideal world I'd like to see a catch light in his eye.

Nice find on the Merlin. I've never seen one of those either. Birders around here get very excited when one is seen. Some of the Merlins seem a tad noisy.

Great BIF's. I can't decide if there's a halo around the caudal aspect of the wing on the second one or if thats just the contrast between the light wing and the sky.

If thats too much rambling - you can just tell me to shutup, :D

Thanks Steve :D

As far as your comments, "Hey, get outta my head"....Laughing.gif Your contrast comment is right on. Not only was the fox heavily sidelit, as his shadow shows, I used a much higher contrast setting during RAW conversion (like 40 versus 15). Were you there peeking over my shoulder?...lol I can tone it down, but even though it made the fur a bit chunchy, I thought it brought out the eyes a little better ne_nau.gif This guy did look close to what I editted. He had black and silver hairs that really stood out, even from a distance. The reddish coat changed color as his angle to the Sun changed. Anyhow, good catch thumb.gif

I also agree about the catchlight. I even thought about mounting the Better Beamer (coming soon to a thread near you....lol) but I was already in over my head with the new lens and TC combo...Laughing.gif

I can see why people get excited about those Merlins. They are very good looking little birds that are not often seen or shown in pics. Not to mention much harder to nail than your typically larger raptor. I was ready when this guy took off and it didn't help. It was like trying to shoot a blackbird in flight...lol Gimme a hundred shots at it and I might get one or two useable shots rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I noticed some halos too. I attributed it to the morning light's angle. I might have used a bit too much USM too, but no more than I normally use ne_nau.gif

Steve, thanks for looking and I really enjoyed reading your comments clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2006
    I had been shooting small birds last time I used it and the fox shots were really tough cuz I left it in 3.5m position rolleyes1.gif
    Steve

Steve i do this a lot by mistake when im shooting small birds & have never seen it make any difference to a photo...what are you noticing ?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Steve i do this a lot by mistake when im shooting small birds & have never seen it make any difference to a photo...what are you noticing ?
    '

Steve, love the fox profile! Great series.

Doesn't that switch give the lens/camera an idea of where to hunt for focus, making it a bit faster if you have it set correctly?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Oh good the very question I had, the distance switch!
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    '

Steve, love the fox profile! Great series.

Doesn't that switch give the lens/camera an idea of where to hunt for focus, making it a bit faster if you have it set correctly?

No idea but i could leave it on the short click & never see any difference ne_nau.gif I forget about it for days at a time.
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    No idea but i could leave it on the short click & never see any difference ne_nau.gif I forget about it for days at a time.

Nice work Steve, especially the fox. thumb.gif

I use the switch on my 400 all the time for moving objects and find it acquires focus faster if set on the distance ranges your subject is in.

Nice to see some wildlife work from you again Steve!

-j
    edited January 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    '

Yep, thats the idea behind the switch. If set for the shorter distance and you are taking a long distance shot the camera will still focus, but it will take longer.

Some of Canons lenses like the 500 mm L 4.0 have a 3 position switch that makes things even a bit more complicated. A short, medium and long distance switch. On some of these lenses the lens won't focus unless it's set on the right distance.

As was mentioned the main reason for these switches is to help the camera/lens focus faster.
    edited January 15, 2006
    Steve, thanks for looking and I really enjoyed reading your comments clap.gif

Steve

Your welcome! :D

The Better Beamer is pretty cool! I need to use mine more, but I'm like you and feel like I've got enough going on already with the lens, TC, watching where the light is coming from etc etc etc. :uhoh
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    All great shots.
    Damn, I got to get me one of those 400's.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited January 15, 2006
    Maybe i just dont notice its focus speed its just that fast ..sort of like is the car doing 80mph or 90mph ne_nau.gif