Options

What will 20D be replaced by?

2»

Comments

• Options
    VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Check the new camera raw update, its have added a camera named "20Da"
    . Yes, an added "A". Is that a new version, or what?

CANON: EOS 5D, EOS 1D Mark IIN, EOS 20Da
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,214 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Check the new camera raw update, its have added a camera named "20Da"
    . Yes, an added "A". Is that a new version, or what?

CANON: EOS 5D, EOS 1D Mark IIN, EOS 20Da

Nope. The Da has been out over a year now. Its for astronomers.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Viking wrote:

Old news... and it doesn't really show much except a 85L on an existing 20D body, looks like, to me lol3.gif
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Poindexter wrote:
    The rumors I'm hearing is that they'll continue on with the 20D, but build a similarly priced FF body that might not have all the same features as the 20D - could be more along the lines of the XT in features.

Depending on how sales go with an "entry-level"ish priced FF body they could then move to making everything FF in the future.

Not going to happen. Full frame sensors are expensive and they're going to stay that way; yields are too low. I expect them to continue to drop in price for awhile but they'll never really get to the prosumer level.

Moreover, Canon is making increasing investments in EF-S lenses. There's no reason to do that if you're going to dump the APS format.

I think their line is pretty much filled out now and what we're going to see going forward is refinement. For instance, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of the next couple of generations of sensors shoot for greater contrast rather than greater resolution.

Whatever, I'm likely to pick up whatever the 20D replacement is. Probably not going to get another year out of the Rebel's shutter.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Dang, that 85 L is one huge chunk of glass!:wow
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Makes sense to me. At some point, you have to figure that greater dynamic range will become a selling point.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,214 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    Yup. More dynamic range (not contrast - that's different). But that is always in development, just as film had been getting better over the last 150 years. And a 10.x MP sensor would be nice, as long as they keep it as noise free at the higher ISO's. Hard to do, but if they could...

Not very big predictions:
    They WILL place a direct print button on the next version - trust me on this. Picture Styles will also be incorporated within the menu, with the option to install more - or make your own and upload them to the firmware.

Possible:
    ISO visible in the viewfinder and on the LCD status panel. Nope. They won't do this. Why? Because everybody has been wanting it.

Probably never:
    Canon has not been listening very well to all the critique over the years about an easier method to enable mirror lock-up. As it is now, one needs to access the menu > custom menu > (then navigate to) mirror lock up > enable, and then back out of the menu -- something like 17 button presses (I could be exaggerating).

I doubt highly (in the 30D) there will soon be a button to enable a chosen user program to pick from making mirror lock up possible. A good read on this and other issues is here...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/1-suggestions.shtml
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2006
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    First off I'm amazed by the first post in this forum, that the 20D can be considered an old camera already. Its been just over a year that it was introduced. Camera people, welcome to the ridiculously faced paced world of digital technology. Even though I have worked in hi-tech for 16 years I'm still not convinced the rapid rate of change is all that good but that's a topic for another forum. And rapid rate of change in expensive camera bodies is another expense I don't need.

Rumors of the 30D that I think are likely to realize:

* 10MP. Thank Nikon and the D200 for that.
    * Extra focus points. My brief foray into football photography showed me that 9 on the 20D was not enough.
    * More frames per second might be a good bet, but if they move to 10MP then a high frame rate becomes harder.
    * Will stay 1.6 crop factor sensor, which in my mind is a good thing.

And if most of this comes true, then it makes the 1D Mark IIN a harder sell in my book. It then comes down to weather sealing and auto-focus. And is that worth 3X the money?

Interestingly, I saw a photo of a 3D with a 40mm 1.2L lens...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Damn chinese site! :D I must learn that language. I hope it will at the same price as the20D. If its true.

They must add a larger lcd too! If they dont, I wony buy a new one. ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Damn chinese site! :D I must learn that language. I hope it will at the same price as the20D. If its true.

They must add a larger lcd too! If they dont, I wony buy a new one. ;-)

the important parts are in english deal.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    Why is the 430EX and 580EX out of stock everywhere??? Becous Canon going to itroduce new flashes.... I hope...
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Why is the 430EX and 580EX out of stock everywhere??? Becous Canon going to itroduce new flashes.... I hope...

*fingers crossed* if that were the case i would gladly pick up 2 580's instead of another lensemwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    *fingers crossed* if that were the case i would gladly pick up 2 580's instead of another lensemwink.gif

Why?

I have a 420EX, a 550EX, and an IR trigger that I bought as a kind of poor-man's studio lights. But it turns out that you can get decent studio lights for less money than this combination (pair of lights from Calumet, with umbrellas and stands, is about $500).

Is it for portability? (I couldn't have lugged the studio lights down to Florida even if I thought that was a good idea, so I might have bought the flashes regardless.)

I am also having a hard time seeing what they're going to add to the 580 but then again I don't use a lot of the features of the 550 :-).
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I love these threads. I cant think of the last time I have printed anything larger than A3 I rarely go over 8x10. I think 8MP is fine for that. Weathersealing a camera adds a lot of cost. O rings for every button, seals, etc... Faster FPS, you are describing a 1DmkII.

I would like the 20D to have the same grip as the D60 and 1DMK, its bigger, is ergo for your hand. Other than that, I think the 20D is pretty complete. I change my focusing screens with ease so there isnt much to complain about, well maybe the grip.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    I have a 420EX, a 550EX, and an IR trigger that I bought as a kind of poor-man's studio lights. But it turns out that you can get decent studio lights for less money than this combination (pair of lights from Calumet, with umbrellas and stands, is about $500).

i already own studio lights deal.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i already own studio lights deal.gif

Ok, so I'm still curious: Why buy two 580s?
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    Ok, so I'm still curious: Why buy two 580s?

slave, better recycle, macro set-upiloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    any newinfo anyone?
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Even though I don't own a 20D (hell, my only camera is my little G600!!) I still find this thread fascinating, since this is the camera I have been drooling over since it first came out, but alas, poor college students just can't justify buying a 1500 dollar camera! Can't wait to see what all will be available a year from now when I (hopefully) can afford a DSLR!
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    any newinfo anyone?

I heard that the camera body was going to be anodized purple to sell to a larger demographic.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com