Options

Florida Willdife Shoot

13»

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I am so tempted to drive down. I live up in Daytona Beach, just north of you Harryb. Maybe for next years shoot I'll have a real camera and will be able to drive down. Hell, I'm tempted to drive down just so I can put some faces with some names from here, and be among people who know what they are talking about! :D

Do the locations where you will be going charge? Even though I don't have a good camera I'dbe tempted to drive down during the day one time and come along to the locations just for the experience and thrill.

Now I wouldn't go that farrolleyes1.gif. It is nice to meet other people on here though, even if you don't think you will be shooting.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I am so tempted to drive down. I live up in Daytona Beach, just north of you Harryb. Maybe for next years shoot I'll have a real camera and will be able to drive down. Hell, I'm tempted to drive down just so I can put some faces with some names from here, and be among people who know what they are talking about! :D

Do the locations where you will be going charge? Even though I don't have a good camera I'dbe tempted to drive down during the day one time and come along to the locations just for the experience and thrill.

Right now the 4 main locations for the shoot will be Merritt Island NWR, the Viera Wetlands, the Orlando Wetlands, and the rookery in the Orlando Gator Farm.

I will PM you my home and cell #s. If you find a day you can make it call me and I will tell you where we will be. It looks like my replacement D2X will be in by the shoot. If it is and if you would like I should be able to fix you up with one of my camera bodies and some reasonable glass to use for a day.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Right now the 4 main locations for the shoot will be Merritt Island NWR, the Viera Wetlands, the Orlando Wetlands, and the rookery in the Orlando Gator Farm.

I will PM you my home and cell #s. If you find a day you can make it call me and I will tell you where we will be. It looks like my replacement D2X will be in by the shoot. If it is and if you would like I should be able to fix you up with one of my camera bodies and some reasonable glass to use for a day.

This would be great! If you can send me your cell # or somewhere I can reach you I will try to contact you in the next couple of days about this. At this point even if I am unable to make it during that week I would still love to come down sometime and go out shooting with you. Really looking forward to hearing from you!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2006
    Update
    Merritt III

We leave each day from in front of the LaQuinta hotel. We should meet at 6:30AM in order to catch the morning light at our shooting site. The three main sites will be the Orlando and Viera Wetlands and the Merritt Island NMR. For those who are interested we may schedule shoots at the St. Augustine Rookery, the Orlando Rookery, and Sebastian Inlet (for pelican lovers). Of course everyone is a free agent and you can strike off on your own if you wish.

For those who are staying at other places than the LaQuinta you can call my house on the night before to confirm shooting locations. My home # is 321-639-7302. I will PM my cell # to everybody later this week. If you could PM me your cell #s I will make a list so we can be in communication if the need arises.

Travel Directions:
    Instead of me copying travel directions and Pm’ing them to the western world I will give you the addresses and you can go to mapquest.com and bring up the necessary travel instructions yourselves.

The starting point for everyone should be your hotel’s address. For the Laquinta folks that address is 7200 George T. Edwards DR, Melbourne, FL, 32940

Shooting Sites

The address for the Orlando Wetlands is 25155 Wheeler Rd. Christmas, FL 32709

The address for Merritt Island NWR is Black Point Wildlife Drive Park, Black Point Wildlife Drive, Titusville Fl, 32815

The address for the Orlando Gator farm is 14501 South Blossom Trail, Orlando, Fl. 32837

You don’t need directions for the Viera Wetlands, Exit the LaQuinta, turn right on Wickham Rd., stay on Wickham as you do a 180 through the traffic circle
    And keep on going until you hit the water treatment plant. Make a right as you enter the plant.

Restaurants all reservations are for 7:30 PM

Monday, 2/6 – BBQ at my house, 5960 Heron’s Landing Drive, Viera, Fl 32955. RSVP 6 PM-9 PM – Free

Tuesday, 2/7 – Pizza Uno – turn left from the LaQuinta, go two blocks.

Wednesday, 2/8 – Chowders – 6485 S US Highway 1, Rockledge, FL, 32955

Thursday, 2/9 – Durango Steak House – 6765 N Wickham Rd, Melbourne, FL 32940

Friday, 2/10 – Charlie & Jakes – 6300 N Wickham Rd, Melbourne, FL 32940

Saturday, 2/11 – Dixie Crossroads – 1475 Garden Street, Titusville, FL 32796
    This is a freebie. Andy Williams and Smugmug are picking up our tab.

Sunday, 2/12 – Back to Chowders.

All the restaurants except for the Dixie Crossroads is a 10 minute or less drive from the hotel. The Dixie Crossroads is a 35 minute drive from the hotel. 15 minutes from Merritt Island NWR.

Weather

So far the 10 day forecast is for sunny days with highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s.
    Sunrise will be a few minutes after 7 AM and sunset will be a few minutes after 6 PM for each day of the shoot.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Update
    Hi Y'all

The listing of shooters for the Florida Wildlife follows. First a couple of house keeping items.

The Viera Wetlands
    Chris Koeppell, the environmental honcho, at the Wetlands has requested me to ask everyone to please sign in at the office before you enter the Wetlands. Also the Wetlands is a series of one-way roads. Please take care to follow the signs and go the right way down these roads. Finally when you stop your car please pull over as much as possible so other cars can get by you when you stop

1. Michael Allen
    2. Harry Behret
    3. Andreas Berglund
    4. Gail Bizet
    5. Chet Bradley
    6. Catz (Melissa)
    7. Phil Collyer
    8. Gary Chappell
    9. Trish Fahner
    10. Richard Fleet (Huskey8)
    11. Harris Goldberg (Backdoctor)
    12. William Green (Dallas)
    13. Gluwater (Nick)
    14. Kelly Hanlon (The KO)
    15. Brent H. (Helmet66)
    16. Bob Hoge
    17. Nan Hoge
    18. Gordon Large
    19. Thomas Lott (tmlphoto)
    20. Mike McAtee (mikemac)
    21. Mike McCarthy (Birdman photographer)
    22. Dave Metta (Merlin50))
    23. David Mutter (DavidM)
    24. Jim Pickrell (Pathfinder)
    25. Kathy Pickrell (Nightinggale)
    26. Don Rueter (dreuter)
    27. Muril Robertson (silvereagle)
    28. Kevin Scott
    29. Steve S.
    30. Thornton (Thor)
    31. Frank Wilson (Flew)
    32. Connie Woolridge
    33. Reggie Woolridge
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    I just wanted y'all to know what a bargain this shoot is. :lol

http://www.photosafaris.com/Tours_2006/Herons.asp
    Harry
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I just wanted y'all to know what a bargain this shoot is. :lol

http://www.photosafaris.com/Tours_2006/Herons.asp

Gheeeeeezzzzzzz....for 1/4 of that I'll let you come sit on my porch, serve you cold beers from the fridge and grill up some steaks....all the while that you get to shoot the same birds. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Gheeeeeezzzzzzz....for 1/4 of that I'll let you come sit on my porch, serve you cold beers from the fridge and grill up some steaks....all the while that you get to shoot the same birds. rolleyes1.gif

I've been doing that for months for visiting shooters and charging nothing. I may have to start reconsidering my rates. :lol
    Harry
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Looks like I'll be coming down for at least a couple of days of the shoot, thanks to Harry's generosity! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
  • Options
    David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Trip
    Skippy wrote:
    What are you doing to me ??? you guys are sending me crazy wanting to join you........it's just not possible....... why haven't they built a bridge yet from Autralia to America ??? what's the hold up? surely they could have had one built by now rolleyes1.gif

Well as much as I would dearly, dearly, dearly love to join you guys it's is not possible :cry dang, dang, double dang ..... awwwww I would have loved to have been part of that trek...... Skippy (Australia) ... disappointed

I would definitely be interested in joining you for a couple of days.
    David L. Stevens
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    I
    would definitely be interested in joining you for a couple of days.

Well come on down Dave! wave.gif

Will you need lodging? The LaQuinta is filled up but there are other area hotels/motels

What days do you want to come down for?

PM me and I'll get you set up.
    Harry
  • Options
    David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    What Is Best Site?
    Harryb wrote:
    I

Well come on down Dave! wave.gif

Will you need lodging? The LaQuinta is filled up but there are other area hotels/motels

What days do you want to come down for?

PM me and I'll get you set up.

Harry,
    In your opinion what will be the best site to shoot wild life? I will try to come those two days.
    :):
    David L. Stevens
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2006
    Harry,
    In your opinion what will be the best site to shoot wild life? I will try to come those two days.
    :):

Of the four thats hard to say. At Gator land in Orlando you are assured of getting some shots. The other three sites vary and you never know before you get there. I would say that Merritt Island and the Viera Wetlands would offer the best shooting at this time of the year.
    Harry
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    I know it's not your 'local' romp, but any particular places that stick out in your mind between Islamorada (keys) and Maimi? My son and I will have a day to kill making that drive in April. I know there's a 'gator farm' attraction, not sure what else.

between the threads & photos here and planning for that trip, I'm dreaming of getting both my sons off to college and moving to Fla
    icon_pirate.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Info needed
    Hi all,
    I'm going to be in Orlando for a NADA trade show arriving early Friday Feb 10th and leaving some time on Wednesady Feb 15th. My exact schedule is hard to predict (Saturday si definitely all booked), but I hope to have free some day or two (or at least some parts of it). I'll have a decent rental car, and I have all my photo gear with me (I'm coming to the show as a company's photographer:-).

I would apreciate if sombebody can PM/email me some local phone numbers, which I can call and arrange a meetup with the gang on a short notice.

(And I hope it's OK that I'm using Canon:-)

Thanks!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Well we completed the last day of shooting today and almost all the shooters have returned or are on their ways home. Over 35 folks participated in the shoot.

Speaking for myself, I had a great time. Being geographically privileged I get to see the wildlife anytime I had the urge. The real thrill for me was getting to see old friends and to make new friends. It was an absolute privilege to spend time with and to shoot with all the folks who came down.

I was floored by the depth of knowledge of equipment, post processing and shooting techniques that was at the shoot. I learned a lot and I hope that the other participants did also. I saw folks lending others equipment and sharing their experience throughout the shoot.

I just want to thank all the participants for the pleasure of their company and I look forward to us getting together again in the future.
    Harry