Options

Ordering print sizes

2»

Comments

• Options
    DTMPhotosDTMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Hey Andy...Thanks for the suggestion...

My experience is that customers tend to NOT read whatever I put in the gallery description field. I've tried putting ordering instructions, you name it and inevitably I still receive questions that were actually addressed in that field. It's not a horrible situation and I'm confident that this will eventually (wallets listed twice or flexibility in the ordering dropdowns) get addressed...

D.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi DTM,

OK a really ugly example here, but you get the point:

http://andydemo.smugmug.com/gallery/1102707

Thanks for your great suggestion!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi DTM,

OK a really ugly example here, but you get the point:

http://andydemo.smugmug.com/gallery/1102707

Thanks for your great suggestion!
    It seems to me that everyone is dancing around the problem the wrong way. The problem isn't "what goes in standard prints, what goes in speciality prints". The problem is "are there too many print sizes in the first place?"

Too much choice can easily lead to inaction and confusion on the part of a customer. Its weird, people always think they want choice, but choice can actually be detrimental.

Goto another provider, like Exposure Manager, and they have a much smaller selection of print sizes to choose from.

So, does Smugmug see a real benefit to the absolutely huge number of print sizes they offer? Do people really order that many of the odd size prints? And if so, can I suggest a panoramic 1:3 ratio size option? 4x12? 12x36? And is my suggestion making the problem worse? :shrug
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    It seems to me that everyone is dancing around the problem the wrong way. The problem isn't "what goes in standard prints, what goes in speciality prints". The problem is "are there too many print sizes in the first place?"

Too much choice can easily lead to inaction and confusion on the part of a customer. Its weird, people always think they want choice, but choice can actually be detrimental.

Goto another provider, like Exposure Manager, and they have a much smaller selection of print sizes to choose from.

So, does Smugmug see a real benefit to the absolutely huge number of print sizes they offer? Do people really order that many of the odd size prints? And if so, can I suggest a panoramic 1:3 ratio size option? 4x12? 12x36? And is my suggestion making the problem worse? :shrug

My take on this is, and I did bring this up recently, is that all print sizes should be able to be displayed in one list. As an example, many images may suit an 8"x12" better than an 8"x10". Pretty difficult for someone to jump over the specialty sizes (if they even realise it is there), check the cropping on an 8"x12" and then jump back to standard sizes and check the cropping there. Same with 20"x24" compared to 16"x24" or 20"x30". What would be sooooo wrong with having them on the one list? Pro users can simply add $0.00 to all the sizes they don't want to offer.

Any feedback?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:

Hi Bill,

Personally I think choice is good. And since you as pro have the ability to sell/not sell anything in the catalog, well, you can create your own version of the price list, yeah? I mean, if you look at my site, and add something to your cart, you'll only see four items for sale. Others, add many, many more.

Thanks for the pano suggestion thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Bill,

Personally I think choice is good. And since you as pro have the ability to sell/not sell anything in the catalog, well, you can create your own version of the price list, yeah? I mean, if you look at my site, and add something to your cart, you'll only see four items for sale. Others, add many, many more.

Thanks for the pano suggestion thumb.gif

Andy, my thoughts on this I have outlined above and I would like to demonstrate it this way. If you have a look at your image 3 (of 31) - It can either be purchased as a cropped 8"x10" (with your customer losing the outsides of the image) or as an uncropped 8"x10" (with your customer only getting about a 6 2/3"x10" print. What about if 8"x12" was in the dropdown box right below 8"x10"? You can sell it for more money and your customer gets a print size that uses your entire image. At least they get an alternative choice. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Good point (and I do zero out a LOT of size choices). Given that, Cammo's suggestion to put all print size choices in one list looks a bit appealing. Since I zero out most choices my customer's list would be rather small. And if it could be found a way to separate paper type from print size, might make things easier. The fact that luster is more expensive, however, might make that difficult to do. Dunno.

I will say the shopping cart, including how a customer chooses a print size, is much improved over when I first came to Smugmug. I know it could be easier still, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how to do that.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Perhaps another solution is to let the photographer pick the print dimension that is "ideal" and have it only show those options for a photo. If you have pictures of different dimension in a gallery, you can set the default prices for each, but if a pic just looks bad at a 1:1 ratio, it'd be nice to be able to turn off that particular aspect ratio.

Just a thought..

-Russ

ps- i also second making the paper type a separate drop down from the list of prints, though, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't really necissary. it may make more sense, who knows
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    renstar wrote:
    Perhaps another solution is to let the photographer pick the print dimension that is "ideal" and have it only show those options for a photo. If you have pictures of different dimension in a gallery, you can set the default prices for each, but if a pic just looks bad at a 1:1 ratio, it'd be nice to be able to turn off that particular aspect ratio.

Yes, but for those who have thousands of images in their portfolio or better still, for those who crop their images to suit the image and not the eventual print this would be a problem. I guess you could crop images to suit prints at a particular ratio (i.e 4:5 or 2:3) but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of creative photography... headscratch.gif

Cam
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Yes, but for those who have thousands of images in their portfolio or better still, for those who crop their images to suit the image and not the eventual print this would be a problem. I guess you could crop images to suit prints at a particular ratio (i.e 4:5 or 2:3) but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of creative photography... headscratch.gif

Cam

Actually that is intended to solve the issue of being able to crop for creative purposes. Why have any square prints available if the crop doesnt lend itself to square. Though, as i said, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things anyway.

-r
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    renstar wrote:
    You can do that now. If you set the custom price to $0 for that size it does not show up.

The problem is there are three separate lists for print sizes. Someone else already pointed out this problem. I'll give a concrete example. My 20D produces 3:2 images, so maybe I only want to offer prints in that aspect ratio. So I set all prices to $0 except for 4x6, 8x12, 12x18, 16x24, and 20x30. But when the customer puts something in the shopping cart they will only see 4x6 and 20x30. Not good. Its not necessarily obvious to the customer to go to "Speciality Prints" to see the other sizes.

I do think ordering print sizes is too complicated still, though it has improved in the last 18 months.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    You can do that now. If you set the custom price to $0 for that size it does not show up.

The problem is there are three separate lists for print sizes. Someone else already pointed out this problem. I'll give a concrete example. My 20D produces 3:2 images, so maybe I only want to offer prints in that aspect ratio. So I set all prices to $0 except for 4x6, 8x12, 12x18, 16x24, and 20x30. But when the customer puts something in the shopping cart they will only see 4x6 and 20x30. Not good. Its not necessarily obvious to the customer to go to "Speciality Prints" to see the other sizes.

I do think ordering print sizes is too complicated still, though it has improved in the last 18 months.

Precisely what I mentioned in the past. A few posts back I asked Andy's thoughts on his site example he posted but to no avail. I'm with you mercphoto, I think there should be only one paper print list and one specialty list.

Anyway...
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Precisely what I mentioned in the past. A few posts back I asked Andy's thoughts on his site example he posted but to no avail. I'm with you mercphoto, I think there should be only one paper print list and one specialty list.

Anyway...

Hey, I've been busy doing custimizations for people lol3.gif You remember that, right Cammo? :D
  • Options
    DTMPhotosDTMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Controlling print sizes and thoughts on EM
    You can control the print sizes available (at least with a pro account) by setting prices for prints you don't want to zero (oh crud...is it zero or blank???). Those prints won't be available for ordering. Even with only 5 sizes total to choose from, I still have problems with clients not finding the wallets which are buried under "specialty prints". BTW...I believe that EM has the same (or close to it) print size selection (they both use EzPrints) but most photogs on EM limit the sizes available...

IMHO...
    D.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hey, I've been busy doing custimizations for people lol3.gif You remember that, right Cammo? :D

Yes, I appreciate that. I am worried however that I have asked too many questions ne_nau.gif ??
    Have you got any thoughts on my post at http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=247925&postcount=36

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Andy, my thoughts on this I have outlined above and I would like to demonstrate it this way. If you have a look at your image 3 (of 31) - It can either be purchased as a cropped 8"x10" (with your customer losing the outsides of the image) or as an uncropped 8"x10" (with your customer only getting about a 6 2/3"x10" print. What about if 8"x12" was in the dropdown box right below 8"x10"? You can sell it for more money and your customer gets a print size that uses your entire image. At least they get an alternative choice. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestion, Cammo. I've actually just added 8x12 and a couple more sizes to my gallery. I probably should have done this a long time ago ... shoemaker's child I guess!