Options

I friggin hate iTunes

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    Not only did I call Apple but they charged me 50 bucks or so for the service call just to tell me sorry . I would use another service but I rely on itunes too much and hate change..

Apple has a play-book like many companies. Go over their head, get a supv on the phone - they will relent. I got them to take back Aperture (against their written policy) and give me a full refund, because I thought the product sucked eggz. (Shay, take note!).
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    whoa, this thread got a head of it's own....

i still friggin hate iTunes.

MMMmmm sweet iTunes automagic everything working just wonderful and fine on both of my Apple systems. MMM mmm Mmmmm
    .... lol3.gif Get a Mac, Lee!
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    MMMmmm sweet iTunes automagic everything working just wonderful and fine on both of my Apple systems. MMM mmm Mmmmm
    .... lol3.gif Get a Mac, Lee!

oh yes, with this incredibly generous mod salary....rolleyes1.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    oh yes, with this incredibly generous mod salary....rolleyes1.gif

Don't you NEED it for trouble shooting and helping out in the customization forum? I think you NEED it. I think you COULDN'T DO YOUR JOB AS MODERATOR WITHOUT IT. Don't you agree? Andy, do you agree?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Don't you NEED it for trouble shooting and helping out in the customization forum? I think you NEED it. I think you COULDN'T DO YOUR JOB AS MODERATOR WITHOUT IT. Don't you agree? Andy, do you agree?

i've been waiting and waiting for my smugmug development kit to arrive in the mail...

and waiting...

and waiting...
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i've been waiting and waiting for my smugmug development kit to arrive in the mail...

and waiting...

and waiting...

ne_nau.gif

All I can suggest is holding your breath....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    ne_nau.gif

All I can suggest is holding your breath....

heh, yeah. that has already been suggested
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Sucked eggz. Noted.
    Andy wrote:
    because I thought the product sucked eggz. (Shay, take note!).
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    and the Nano model's battery may last 18 months if you're lucky.

It's just a lithium-ion battery, same as a cell phone, Canon/Nikon, or laptop battery. The characteristics are well known. 18 months is at the low end of the expected performance scenarios. For lithium-ion, 3-4 years or roughly 300 charge cycles is typical. Apple doesn't have much control over the fundamental laws of chemistry.

Of course the media wants to repeat the worst-case scenario. Some guy gets just 18 months, and the media generalizes it to all iPods. But if somebody's Nikon battery gets 18 months we'll never hear about it.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    Ya, but the Nikon battery is user replaceable.
    colourbox wrote:
    But if somebody's Nikon battery gets 18 months we'll never hear about it.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    Ya, but the Nikon battery is user replaceable.

Shay, if you can figure out how to construct a product as small and intelligently designed as the iPod Nano AND allow the user to replace the battery safely, you'll be a millionaire. Have at it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    The good news is that it has already been invented. It's called a screw. By removing the screw you can get at the internals of the device. Pop out the defunct battery and put in a new one.

Sounds simple and easy to me, why won't they let you do that? mwink.gif

DavidTO wrote:
    Shay, if you can figure out how to construct a product as small and intelligently designed as the iPod Nano AND allow the user to replace the battery safely, you'll be a millionaire. Have at it.
  • Options
    macaddictmacaddict Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Gosh, I love iTunes - it's the best thing for organizing music/videos that I've tried. Since 2001, I've legally purchased more than 300 songs. My karma is good. I also love the access to television shows - I buy two or three shows a week.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with it!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    The good news is that it has already been invented. It's called a screw. By removing the screw you can get at the internals of the device. Pop out the defunct battery and put in a new one.

Sounds simple and easy to me, why won't they let you do that? mwink.gif

Because then the delicate innards would be exposed. Plus, screws are ugly.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    It's more about paying money for quality earbuds by Shure and headphones by Sennheiser and having Klipsch speakers, that I don't want the crappy 128 bit rate. Sure Apple's AAC sounds better than MP3 at that rate, but it's still crap.

Maybe I misunderstood, it was your comment in the first post
    I don't care if I don't have the ears to hear it

Sure, if you can hear the difference, then compression is a problem, but if you can't, then who cares?
    I use APE for my compression on my PC. All CDs I purchase get ripped to this format. I can also "rip" backwards. This means the compression method, by a complex algorithm,

Lossless compression algorithms often aren't that complex. E.g. PPMD5. Perhaps not ideally suited for stream comression, but one of the simplist compression algorithms going.
    eliminates redundant bits going to the left and right channels and uses a single bit. It does however keep track of this and all the bits can be put back.

Also note that all you're recovering is the same 44.1KHz file.

This argument is different though to the one I understood you were making before. Lossy compression, if you can hear the difference, is a problem.

Incidentally, I presume you shoot exclusively in RAW and save to TIFF files? :):

All the best,

Luke
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Now, how did one open that G5 iMac again? I think screws are against Apple policy. They prefer you to use wedges, and say "Abracadabra". I like industrial design a lot, but never believed in the "form limits function" thinking.

As on iTunes: I couldn't care less where it puts my music. As long as it plays in iTunes, and isn't lost in the library. And so far, iTunes didn't lose a thing for me, neither on the Mac nor on Windows. And yes, I burn all my iTunes bought songs to CDs, so I can rerip them if all things go FUBAR on my harddisks. And I rerip them immediately in MP3, so I get to play my songs on all of my devices that do music. Also my 3G iPod (30 GB) is still going strong. If it dies, I'll get a new one. I'm simple, and believe in what works.

On Limewire: it might very well be that the hosting of files is illegal, whereas the download of that same file in some situations/countries is not considered illegal. But I tend to believe in Karma thinking: you know it's not right, no matter what the law says. Your gut feels it. Don't try to justify what you basically know to be wrong. Respect your karma. Support your neighbourhood artist (even if they only get a tiny bit out of it, compared to some of the companies involved). Buy the songs in whatever format is available. If you don't, at least think about this post next time you're asking about copyright protecting your images.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    macaddictmacaddict Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Now, how did one open that G5 iMac again? I think screws are against Apple policy.

No wedges necessary! Secrets of a G5 iMac opening revealed!
    55663277-M.jpg
    Three screws on the bottom and it pops off! Here's Mr. Kwon opening up my G5 in about 20 seconds.
    55663289-M.jpg

Good point on the karma! I always like to pay for what I take. Support the artists! :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    For 190 clams, I can tolerate a screw. If you know what I mean.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006

Incidentally, I presume you shoot exclusively in RAW and save to TIFF files? :):

All the best,

Luke

Yes, but I also save the RAW, always have, always will. The software may improve and hopefully my post processing skills will improve also. Having the original is always better.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    For 190 clams, I can tolerate a screw. If you know what I mean.

I'm not gonna spend a whole lotta time arguing this point for two reasons: it's a waste of time, and also the main part of my argument is that none of us are qualified to design something as amazing as an iPod Nano. Have you picked one of them up? They're insanely compact for what you're getting. Not even room for a screw. Anyway, you don't like them, don't buy them, like Khaos.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm not gonna spend a whole lotta time arguing this point for two reasons: it's a waste of time, and also the main part of my argument is that none of us are qualified to design something as amazing as an iPod Nano. Have you picked one of them up? They're insanely compact for what you're getting. Not even room for a screw. Anyway, you don't like them, don't buy them, like Khaos.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    Sid, you want a real laugh? Take a look at the new Microsoft re-designed iPod Pro XP 2005 Human Ear Professional Edition.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    And have you seen that Vista's gonna come out in 6 versions? Oy.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid, you want a real laugh? Take a look at the new Microsoft re-designed iPod Pro XP 2005 Human Ear Professional Edition.
    You want a REAL laugh? In some cases I find those packages being made fun of are actually useful. As in, what's the difference between TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premium, and Small Business. Charts, bulleted feature lists, etc can be a good thing. I like to have the information at hand, even though I know I could go home and research it online. I am rarely that prepared in advance.

Apple's packaging meetings would be more like:

-why is there still so much information on it?
    -can't we make it more minimalist?
    -there's still too much color. get it down to 6 shades of white and light gray.

mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    You want a REAL laugh? In some cases I find those packages being made fun of are actually useful. As in, what's the difference between TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premium, and Small Business. Charts, bulleted feature lists, etc can be a good thing. I like to have the information at hand, even though I know I could go home and research it online. I am rarely that prepared in advance.

Apple's packaging meetings would be more like:

-why is there still so much information on it?
    -can't we make it more minimalist?
    -there's still too much color. get it down to 6 shades of white and light gray.

mwink.gif

iPod boxes do tell you what's inside and what you need to know about it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    May I rant?!?!
    Totally lame. Home and pro versions were bad enough. Now they want even greater levels of cripple.

No thanks, I'm getting off the ride. I am actually going to downgrade to windows 2000 so I can get some control over upgrading my hardware with the eventual goal of switching to linux.

Microsoft started loosing me with the XP activation, and Vista was the lynch pin. I really hope vista dies a quick death because all this drm'd nanny-ware is getting out of hand. I am not going to buy into any of it anymore. I'm hoping there are enough of us out there to make a change to the current trend eventually.

And David, I will throw you this bone. I would switch to Apple before switching to Vista ;-)
    DavidTO wrote:
    And have you seen that Vista's gonna come out in 6 versions? Oy.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    May I rant?

Shay, anytime you want to rant about the evil nemesis, go right ahead!

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Shay, anytime you want to rant about the evil nemesis, go right ahead!

:D

right on!

down with iTunes!!!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    right on!

down with iTunes!!!

itunes is on my list of drm'd nannyware. Down with it!
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Totally lame. Home and pro versions were bad enough. Now they want even greater levels of cripple.

Shay, there have been Home and Pro versions since Windows 95. The Pro version was the NT series (NT3.5, 4, 2000), and the Home version was 95, 98. ME.

This isn't new.
    No thanks, I'm getting off the ride. I am actually going to downgrade to windows 2000 so I can get some control over upgrading my hardware with the eventual goal of switching to linux.

Linux: Fair enough, if you've got the time and can put up with the software.

Win 2000: I wouldn't advise anyone to move to OS that is going out of security support fairly soon, especially one written my MS. Also note that XP generally has better hardware support than 2000?
    Microsoft started loosing me with the XP activation

It's a triffle annoying, but is it really that bad? The only problem I had was resolved within 2 minutes of a free phone call to MS' activation nunber. I wish I could say the same for other products.
    I really hope vista dies a quick death

I really doubt that you mean that. Whether you loath MS of not, the platform dying a quick death would be horrific for the world.
    because all this drm'd nanny-ware is getting out of hand. I am not going to buy into any of it anymore. I'm hoping there are enough of us out there to make a change to the current trend eventually.

I privately doubt it I'm afraid. I presume you're not going to buy the next generation of DVD player either? (Or for that matter, watch DVDs on your linux box)

I hope that you find that Linux annoys you less, I fear you may be disappointed.

Luke