Options

Curses Canon!

2»

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Can't B&H get the "block goy" to do business during passover? There are non-jew working there, right?

Obviously not. I'm having a really hard time understanding why everyone (well, not "everyone", really!) needs to second guess the religious beliefs and practices of a shop owner. He/they are doing what they need to do in order to observe their religious beliefs. Sheesh, already. Let it go.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Thanks for the offer Ziggy, I'll be fine, just needed to clean the dust out of the good ol point and shoot. My turtle is living in that tank now, and I don't really have anything portable anyhow. rolleyes1.gif

Froggy, I looked at it and thought about cleaning the stuff off, but I decided not to for two reasons. One is that is was brand new and I never even had to clean the sensor on the 20D, I tried the blower but nothing moved so I didn't want to risk it. Then from what the particles looked like I was concerned that they had come from a component beyond what I could see that had somehow broken. Either way, better safe than sorry I guess was my line of thinking in a nutshell.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    Thanks for the offer Ziggy, I'll be fine, just needed to clean the dust out of the good ol point and shoot. My turtle is living in that tank now, and I don't really have anything portable anyhow. rolleyes1.gif

Froggy, I looked at it and thought about cleaning the stuff off, but I decided not to for two reasons. One is that is was brand new and I never even had to clean the sensor on the 20D, I tried the blower but nothing moved so I didn't want to risk it. Then from what the particles looked like I was concerned that they had come from a component beyond what I could see that had somehow broken. Either way, better safe than sorry I guess was my line of thinking in a nutshell.
    **** DELETED UNETHICAL ADVICE *****

If the store in question complains, blame it on the jewish holiday.

My opinion here isn't that they should be handling his camera, it's that they should have told him on the phone when he was getting the RMA number that if he shipped it after a certain date, it wouldn't get dealt with until after the holiday. It's a curtosy to the more... absent minded? (No insult intended, I was just trying to find a word that described not noticing something) customers.

As someone that deals in Customer Service on a regular basis, I feel that you've been wronged here, not because they won't deal with you, but because they didn't warn you or take appropriate steps to help your dealings get around *their* beliefs.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    I see your point Daniel, but then again, hooking up Limbik with his gear would definitely be a mitzvah. So, an argument could be made.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    **** DELETED UNETHICAL ADVICE *****

If the store in question complains, blame it on the jewish holiday.
    Yeah. The Jews haven't been blamed for enough. rolleyes1.gif
    My opinion here isn't that they should be handling his camera, it's that they should have told him on the phone when he was getting the RMA number that if he shipped it after a certain date, it wouldn't get dealt with until after the holiday. It's a curtosy to the more... absent minded? (No insult intended, I was just trying to find a word that described not noticing something) customers.

As someone that deals in Customer Service on a regular basis, I feel that you've been wronged here, not because they won't deal with you, but because they didn't warn you or take appropriate steps to help your dealings get around *their* beliefs.

You give Customer Service people a bad reputation, Scott. The store in question (B&H) Goes out of their way to inform buyers that they are closed for an extended period, and thant NO business shall be conducted, period.

Scott, we are all sick and tired of your continued unethical advice that you give here on Dgrin, we're tired of having to delete, edit, and modify your posts. You're banned :banned for 30days, as this is a continual problem.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    They're probably giving up a lot more in sales than people realize for their religious observance.

And I applaud them for living their beliefs . . . even with the potential loss of revenue. I've bought from them many times and now just automatically check the calendar for any applicable holidays. Good for them thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah. The Jews haven't been blamed for enough. rolleyes1.gif

You give Customer Service people a bad reputation, Scott. The store in question (B&H) Goes out of their way to inform buyers that they are closed for an extended period, and that NO business shall be conducted, period.

Scott, we are all sick and tired of your continued unethical advice that you give here on Dgrin, we're tired of having to delete, edit, and modify your posts. You're banned :banned for 30days, as this is a continual problem.

clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifBravo Andy!!!

Religious bashing or similar has no biz on the board.
    If you can't respect others beliefs then don't even comment!!!

God 1st Business 2nd.......the way things should be.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Religious bashing or similar has no biz on the board. If you can't respect others beliefs then don't even comment!!!

It had nothing to do with that. It was due to repeated advice that we generally felt was inappropriate.

Let's leave it at that.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    They're probably giving up a lot more in sales than people realize for their religious observance.

Well, I am a very religious person, though I am not Jewish. I actually buy from B&H over other stores because they are willing to live their religion. So, their religious observance got my business.
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It had nothing to do with that. It was due to repeated advice that we generally felt was inappropriate.

Let's leave it at that.

Whoa, what did he say?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Whoa, what did he say?

Does it matter?

The powers here felt it was inappropriate. Just leave it at that. They have the right to police the content. That power has not been abused in the past.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    How can you not have respect for people who close their business in observance of a religious holiday? B&H makes over $1,000,000 every day in sales. Their religious beliefs come way before the almighty dollar. I have the deepest respect for their religious integrity.

For me, I could use a cookie right now (after only two days)!
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Does it matter?

The powers here felt it was inappropriate. Just leave it at that. They have the right to police the content. That power has not been abused in the past.
    Thanks for the reply Mitchell and while I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it I never did like the "just leave it at that" explanation. I guess if it was so inappropriate I would have thought the matter to be handled via PM and the entire post deleted. By leaving it partially up it implies it is still open to discussion. It also leaves someone's incomplete post up there to be judged by the masses while he is banned and unable to defend himself.

I'm not sure what he said and I trust the "powers" judgment in that it was not apprpriate. They have always been reasonable in the past and I'm sure they will continue to do so. I also don't have any affiliation with Scott, but I'm not sure its fair to leave the post partially up and expect it not be discussed yet at the same time continue to air the situation. Just doesn't seem right to try and have it both ways.

You're right, the powers have not abused this authority, but isn't it friendly and civil inquiries that help keep that from happening?

Regards,

Jeff
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    problems
    B&h closes for a few days, big deal. In Ireland the pubs close for Good Friday......I am in the middle of a drought, no 1drink.gif or beer.gif or :slurp for 24 hours. Now that is a crisisgerg.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006

You're right, the powers have not abused this authority, but isn't it friendly and civil inquiries that help keep that from happening?

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I left enough explanation in my post.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=289032&postcount=36

I don't want to close the thread, so the best thing is to move on, ok?
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    For me, I could use a cookie right now (after only two days)!

rolleyes1.gif I'm not Jewish but my wife is -- she feels the same way. Today? I had a bread sandwich for lunch lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I'm not Jewish but my wife is -- she feels the same way. Today? I had a bread sandwich for lunch lol3.gif

Nice! Did you eat it in front of her?
    Can you describe it for me? Was it a triple decker with slices of chewy, doughy bread in between?:bread :eat
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Nice! Did you eat it in front of her?
    Can you describe it for me? Was it a triple decker with slices of chewy, doughy bread in between?:bread :eat

Of course I did. It was wonderful. Bronx bread. :food

I'm the same guy that goes for Ice Cream on the afternoon before break-fast lol3.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 15, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    B&h closes for a few days, big deal. In Ireland the pubs close for Good Friday......I am in the middle of a drought, no 1drink.gif or beer.gif or :slurp for 24 hours. Now that is a crisisgerg.gif

I'm not sure what you're complaining about if you're in the middle of a draught.....
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're complaining about if you're in the middle of a draught.....

Dude, it's a draught drought. That sucks.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:

oh, sorry; you said drought....

never mind
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dude, it's a draught drought. That sucks.

drat! draught drought!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    drat! draught drought!

gee-it's all coming together!

seamus, ireland, guiness (guinness, sorry)--

time to draft a dratted draught drought limerick!-

gimmee til monday; I want to make it good (or at least tolerable)-

o'george
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    gee-it's all coming together!

seamus, ireland, guiness (guinness, sorry)--

time to draft a dratted draught drought limerick!-

gimmee til monday; I want to make it good (or at least tolerable)-

o'george

top of the morning to ye o'george rolleyes1.gif ,
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    top of the morning to ye o'george rolleyes1.gif ,

Gurab amhlaidh duit

ode to a dry Irishman

dry was the seamus without guinness
    which meant left unused was his puinness

the dratted draught drought
    e'er end is in doubt

so off for bud beer by aerluinngess

o'george
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 15, 2006
    nice little poem....but i must say bud beer :puke (or weak yanky cat piss) shouldn't mentioned in the same breath as guinness
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    no problem-

be a lot easier to find words to rhyme with bud-
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    Gurab amhlaidh duit

o'george

Very good O'George, now write 1,000 lines

"go raibh maith agat"

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    Very good O'George, now write 1,000 lines

"go raibh maith agat"

rolleyes1.gif

I'll be glad to--

as long as I don't have to say it 1000 times (much less once)

hope you're having a good Easter and I hope you have a good guinness when you can get to it-

mcgeorge