Options

Would You Mind If I Said You Had a Grand Canyon?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited June 2, 2006 in Landscapes
Had the opportunity to hit the Grand Canyon, among other places, last week. Longish story, I'll tell it if anyone cares.

It was my first visit. What an impressive place. Never seen anything like it, of course. In some ways, hard to shoot. Lots and lots of haze. And sunsets seem to draw a crowd.

Anyway, here are a few.

This is sunset from the most popular location, can't remember what it's called, but get your spot early, 'cause you ain't elbowing your way to the fence if you get there late.

69635104-L.jpg

It's hard to convey a sense of the scale of the place.

69619763-L.jpg

You have to fight like crazy to get rid of the haze in any long distance shots.

69625252-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    The most amazing drive of my life was from Bryce Canyon to Moab, Utah. Every inch of the six hour drive was saturated with breathtaking scenery. Stunning.

In Moab, there's a national park called Arches. They have stone arches there. Which is why I shot the Balanced Rock instead. lol3.gif

69632208-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Wow they are terrific waxy ! Scale is so hard to show in a photo as you mentioned. I keep staring into #2. Something i noticed about the US & Europe is the never ending 'jet trails' in every shot as with your last one. Its something we dont see here i suppose because of such low air traffic compared to more populated countries.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    This is where Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner are, right?
  • Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Wow, yes, I really like #2 as well. The background looks almost like it's underwater, with light shimmering down across the canyons. Crisp, clear, beautiful. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    We shot a lot in broad sunlight, which makes for dark shadows and a contrasty shot. My PS skills aren't where they need to be, but I thought this shot might help give a sense of scale.

69643159-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Wow they are terrific waxy ! Scale is so hard to show in a photo as you mentioned. I keep staring into #2. Something i noticed about the US & Europe is the never ending 'jet trails' in every shot as with your last one. Its something we dont see here i suppose because of such low air traffic compared to more populated countries.
    Thanks Gus. Yeah, darn jets. I guess I could replace the sky.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    This is where Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner are, right?
    lol3.gif Little suckers were too quick to shoot.

A great place for a future dgrin trip, btw, they have accommodations on site and no shortage of stuff to shoot. :uhoh
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    We shot a lot in broad sunlight, which makes for dark shadows and a contrasty shot. My PS skills aren't where they need to be, but I thought this shot might help give a sense of scale.

Sense of scale all right...i recon one day ..one 1 shooter too many will get a reeaaalllyy good idea of the scale as well as a quick geology lesson on decaying sandstone & the importance of wearing an ACME jet pack.:uhoh
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    asd wrote:
    Wow, yes, I really like #2 as well. The background looks almost like it's underwater, with light shimmering down across the canyons. Crisp, clear, beautiful. clap.gif
    Thanks, mate. I reckon clouds are a bit of a blessing, they breakup big landscapes and give depth and definition.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Sense of scale all right...i recon one day ..one 1 shooter too many will get a reeaaalllyy good idea of the scale as well as a quick geology lesson on decaying sandstone & the importance of wearing an ACME jet pack.:uhoh
    lol3.gif That guy ended up waving an aerial around. I think he helps tracks the birds in the area.

It is a long way down, though.

69617409-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006
    For a true sense of scale, hike down the Bright Angel Trail a ways. It's
    impressive to look back up...even harder to walk back up :D

Nice captures. I think maybe the winter time might be a bit better for
    photos?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    For a true sense of scale, hike down the Bright Angel Trail a ways. It's
    impressive to look back up...even harder to walk back up :D

Nice captures. I think maybe the winter time might be a bit better for
    photos?

Ian
    I went down about 200 yards. Even that was vertigo-inducing and I huffed and puffed back up. Someday, though...

I think some of the best shots are to be had below the rim. As you say, that's where you can get a sense of scale.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif That guy ended up waving an aerial around. I think he helps tracks the birds in the area.

It is a long way down, though.

69617409-L.jpg
    Mate that valley is just dying for a coupla gibbers to be lobbed into it...would be worth the night in the lock-up i recon.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Some beautiful photos
    I was just a wee young thing, recently married, before children, when hubby and I visited the Grand Canyon with a borrowed film camera. The canyon was awsome, but needless to say the camera failed on me delivering over exposed shots.

Your shots are fantastic! And look very much as I remembered the canyon. It is indeed impressive. We walked down a little bit, but I'm prone to heat exhaustion so we didn't get very far. I really need to dig out those shots and see if any can be salvaged now that there's scanning and photoshop.

Again, your photos are fantastic! I love the "non" arches one too.
  • Options
    waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Hi Sid - very nice shots clap.gif particularly #3. Perfect light and shadows.

cheers
    mark
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Amazing photos Sid
    Mabe some day I get there sooner or later
    That last sure shows the scale of things

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Su-weeeeeeeet!
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    great shots! i have made a couple of trips there, including one where i hiked to the bottom. it is awesome no matter where you view it from.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Gorgeous shots waxy! I've never been there on the ground... I had the good fortune to be flying cross country one day and we hit it close to sunset. It was incredible, and I didn't have any sort of camera with me.

Can't get enough of those red rocks...

Gus, what are gibbers? Any relation to loogies, or something worse? :):
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    Thanks, guys. Chris, I figured a gibber was a hand grenade. But that's only my take on Gus' personality. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    I found this:

"gibber"
    "rock- and pebble-littered area of arid or semi-arid country in Australia. The rocks are generally angular fragments formed from broken up duricrust, usually silcrete, a hardened crust of soil cemented by silica (SiO2). The gravel cover may be only one rock fragment deep, or it may consist of several layers buried in fine-grained material that is thought to have been blown in. A gibber is generally considered a result of mechanical weathering because silica is almost inert to chemical weathering."
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I went down about 200 yards. Even that was vertigo-inducing ..........
    Do they still run the mule trip down the Bright Angel Trail? I did that ride in about 1980, it had its disconcerting moments but they were incredible clever animals. Wasn't confident to hold an SLR one-handed, only carried a light "plastic" Kodak cheapie so if I dropped it there would be no grief. The results were as disappointing as you'd expect. As Dee said, scanning and Photoshop might be able to help (need to find the old prints first).
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, guys. Chris, I figured a gibber was a hand grenade. But that's only my take on Gus' personality. naughty.gif

no no no no ...a gibber is a good sized rock..one that is as big as the average person likes to throw. We have a desert here called the Gibber Plain
    150 000 sq miles of nothing but gibbers.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Excellent landscapes
    it is still as it was 15 years ago eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    no no no no ...a gibber is a good sized rock..one that is as big as the average person likes to throw. We have a desert here called the Gibber Plain
    150 000 sq miles of nothing but gibbers.

Ahh, okay. I used to throw gibbers a lot when I was younger (when I could get away with it). Nowadays there are always too many people on trails.

It would be nice if there was a "skipping rock" plain somewhere. Optimally next to a still lake.
    Chris
  • Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    great shots that bring back memories...
    Circa 1979, I, with a few friends, hiked to the bottom of the canyon from the south rim and stayed overnight at a cabin at the bottom (reservations needed long in advance) and hiked back up the next day. I also got quite friendly with a park ranger of the opposite sex, but that's another story altogether.mwink.gif

It is the one place I have been where photos simply cannot convey the scale of what is in front of you. Nevertheless, you did a great job...particularly on that first shot. It's really a lovely photo....

Regards...Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    Do they still run the mule trip down the Bright Angel Trail? I did that ride in about 1980, it had its disconcerting moments but they were incredible clever animals. Wasn't confident to hold an SLR one-handed, only carried a light "plastic" Kodak cheapie so if I dropped it there would be no grief. The results were as disappointing as you'd expect. As Dee said, scanning and Photoshop might be able to help (need to find the old prints first).
    Yeah, they still run the mules. I just missed a nice backlit shot of the mules kicking up sunrise dust in the corral. I think sitting on top of a mule would onlt exacerbate my vertigo on that trail!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    traunerk wrote:
    Circa 1979, I, with a few friends, hiked to the bottom of the canyon from the south rim and stayed overnight at a cabin at the bottom (reservations needed long in advance) and hiked back up the next day. I also got quite friendly with a park ranger of the opposite sex, but that's another story altogether.mwink.gif

It is the one place I have been where photos simply cannot convey the scale of what is in front of you. Nevertheless, you did a great job...particularly on that first shot. It's really a lovely photo....

Regards...Keith
    Thanks Keith, you're very kind. It is indeed an amazing place. Someday I'd like to go back and do exactly what you did. Does the ranger still work there? naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    NIce shots Sid.

You were not by chance in the Atlanta Airport eating at the Marche Bistro in the afternoon were you (1 ish).

I would swear I saw you there.

Sorry you are not here with us.

Brian
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    GREAPER wrote:
    NIce shots Sid.

You were not by chance in the Atlanta Airport eating at the Marche Bistro in the afternoon were you (1 ish).

I would swear I saw you there.

Sorry you are not here with us.

Brian

On Tuesday I was eating at a cafe in terminal E at around 1pm. ne_nau.gif

The feeling's mutal, Brian. I hope you have a great time.
    Sid.