SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    one more with the lightsphere-

72674850-L.jpg
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I got mine from Gary Fong a couple of weeks ago. Used it once, just before my camera error 99 sent it to Canon..........but I still have the Gary Fong thing.

I have the cloudy one, I love it. Yes, I see a difference.

I have a question.

Do you all tape the dome thing to the other thing?????

(The way I shoot, I am going to lose the dome if it is not secured better)

ginger

Err 99 on Canon Digital SLRs · Apr 29, 01:53 PM by Simon Mackie

So you just changed lenses and go to take your picture, but the camera locks up, with the dreaded words “Err 99” on the screen. What just happened? Error 99 means that camera has had a problem, but it’s not sure what it is – not very helpful!
    Canon suggest you try switching the camera off and switching it back on again, or removing and replacing the battery. This may help you, but if the problem keeps occurring, there’s two things that seem to cause this error the most: old third-party (Sigma or Tamron) lens and dirty contacts.
    Old third-party lenses

If attaching a particular lens to the camera always causes the problem, but it’s fine with other lenses, it may be that that particular lens is not compatible with your camera. You might be able to send it back to the manufacturer to have the chip updated – this is called rechipping. It should fix the problem. Try getting in touch wity the relevant support department and see what they say: If the lens is too old to be rechipped, you’re probably best off trying to sell the lens ad get a newer replacemnt.
    Dirty contacts

If the contacts that pass information between your camera and the lens’s electronics are dirty, this may also cause the “Err 99” message. You can try carefully cleaning the contacts on your camera body and on your lens. One method (which I first found at Richard’s Notes) to try is to use eraser on the end of a pencil. Be very careful – you don’t want to bend the pins on your camera!
    I’ve labelled the contacts on this picture:
    8.jpg
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Gary,

Which model do you use when? How do the LightSpheres work differently from other light modifiers?

Thanks,

ziggy53

I would use the clear for inside, and the cloud outside.

I did use both for one shot and saw no difference. It really depends where you are, camera settings etc. You really cant go wrong with any LS product. I have been use the LS since it first came out. It replaced my liumaquest pocket system.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The lid does kind of snap on, but not as securely as say Tupperware, and I have had it fall off. If I do not get it on just right, set it down wrong, etc. I put scotch tape on it this weekend, and I kept checking it like a nervous photographer.

I move around a lot. Maybe if one just shoots portraits, it would not be a problem, but I don't care what the fix looks like, I would like to put something on it. Duct tape? More secure, but not see thru. That first weekend I used it at the church, it fell off several times. Different places. Then it stayed on at the Strawberry Patch, but I was checking it constantly. Love it, though. Only flaw, IMO.

I can't use iron on patches..........thinking of the challenge subject being patches, smile.

As far as eating this poisonous thing. I don't plan on doing that either. But my dogs eat most other things, they can open child proof pill bottles.
    Just a thought: watch your dogs, of course I wouldn't want to lose my LS to my dogs anyway.

But I smiled when I read that comment about not eating it. Also toddlers, they love to "chew" on anything forbidden.

ginger
    I just shot a wedding (not a pro contract, just as a friend) and spent the ENTIRE time (about 5 hours) with the LS (the clear one) attached to the flash/camera. In that time, the dome did not fall off once. And, I wasn't careful with it. Walking around, especially around the dance floor, the camera/flash got bumped a number of times and the thing stayed together with no problems. I guess this really falls into the YMMV category.

Here's one of the better shots I got while at the wedding reception. As you can see from the little bit of light falloff, the place was more than just a little dim. This is with the LS (of course) and the diffuser dome in place. Orientation of flash was about 45 degrees from vertical.

72449389-L.jpg

Oh, and BTW, the bride was a hoot the whole time.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Could it be caused by taking the lid on and off, and reversing it a lot...
    or just a manufacturer defect?
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    LS not on back order, but still is gonna be late.
    And... what does it mean when it says an item is On Order?
    I know Back Order means you're not gonna get your item any time soon.
    For some reason, they closed today.
    I know they close Friday from sundown until sundown Saturday,
    (or something like that) for in-store and online orders, but I dunno why they're closed today.

If On Order means they haven't sent it yet, and they can't send it until Monday,
    (if they even send it then)
    then that means I've sent the extra $12.50 for LS for nothing,`cos it won't be coming no UPS 2-day air.rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe next weekend, huh?45.gif40.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    I know Gary Fong claims that with the Lightspehre, there is no need to use a flash bracket. Does anyone have an opinion and/or experience using a Lightsphere II with or without a flash bracket, particularly for shooting weddings?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,905 moderator
    edited June 2, 2006
    I just shot a wedding (not a pro contract, just as a friend) and spent the ENTIRE time (about 5 hours) with the LS (the clear one) attached to the flash/camera. In that time, the dome did not fall off once. And, I wasn't careful with it. Walking around, especially around the dance floor, the camera/flash got bumped a number of times and the thing stayed together with no problems. I guess this really falls into the YMMV category.

Here's one of the better shots I got while at the wedding reception. As you can see from the little bit of light falloff, the place was more than just a little dim. This is with the LS (of course) and the diffuser dome in place. Orientation of flash was about 45 degrees from vertical.

72449389-L.jpg

On, and BTW, the bride was a hoot the whole time.rolleyes1.gif

Scott,

That's a beautiful exposure. Would you mind sharing your exposure information? (ISO, aperture setting, shutter setting, camera mode)

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    PeterGar wrote:
    I know Gary Fong claims that with the Lightspehre, there is no need to use a flash bracket. Does anyone have an opinion and/or experience using a Lightsphere II with or without a flash bracket, particularly for shooting weddings?
    Get/use a flash bracket. I tried without and, when shooting in portrait mode, I got some pretty ugly shadows.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Scott,

That's a beautiful exposure. Would you mind sharing your exposure information? (ISO, aperture setting, shutter setting, camera mode)

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Thanks for the compliment. Like I said, it is one of the most successful images I got from the reception.

And, sure, here's the link:

http://scottquier.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=72449163

Additional information not seen there - the flash was set to zero exposure compensation, the I use the clear LS with the diffusion dome, and the flash was angled at approx 45 degrees.

I shoot RAW which made re-setting the white balance very easy. The room had a gastly yellow cast to all the walls and ceiling). Original light temperature was recorded at 5500 (tint -3). WB correction set it to 4750/-5 (I'm very thankful the bride wore a stunning, beautiful, very neutrual white dress or there would have been many shots that I would have had real trouble setting the WB.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    The Ridges
    lightspherecloud.jpg
    Funny how none of the big camera stores around have never heard of the Lightsphere,
    and this is a fairly big city. But they'll tell ya that the best or the only things that are on the
    market are either the LumiQuest or the OmniBounce.

But anyway, I was wondering... these ridges that the LSII Clear/Cloud have all around themselves...
    do they also have a part in making pictures softer, or are they just for looks?

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    And... what does it mean when it says an item is On Order?
    I know Back Order means you're not gonna get your item any time soon.
    For some reason, they closed today.
    I know they close Friday from sundown until sundown Saturday,
    (or something like that) for in-store and online orders, but I dunno why they're closed today.

If On Order means they haven't sent it yet, and they can't send it until Monday,
    (if they even send it then)
    then that means I've sent the extra $12.50 for LS for nothing,`cos it won't be coming no UPS 2-day air.rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe next weekend, huh?45.gif40.gif

It means that this is an item they don't keep in stock. They order it from Gary and it take 3-7 business days for them to receive it from him......then they send it to you! If you look on the site it says "Accepting Orders", click on the box and it gives you this info. mwink.gif

My guess on the ridges of the dome are that they help to scatter and possibly multiply the light.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    Yeah, I didn't notice the link to find out if they had any in stock or not. All I saw was Availiability
    and at a glance I thought it said Availiable. In fact, where it says Accepting Orders, made me think
    they had it in stock.rolleyes1.gif

So I hope to have it before I go to this coming Friday's seminar.

I kept looking for it two days after I ordered it. Should have known it wasn't coming before 2 weeks.
    I guess, if God willing, B&H will get it Monday and ship it to me Monday, and I'll have it Wednesday.
    Is yours still on Back Order? I hope it's not. Hope you get yours soon.

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    lightspherecloud.jpg
    Funny how none of the big camera stores around have never heard of the Lightsphere,
    and this is a fairly big city. But they'll tell ya that the best or the only things that are on the
    market are either the LumiQuest or the OmniBounce.

But anyway, I was wondering... these ridges that the LSII Clear/Cloud have all around themselves...
    do they also have a part in making pictures softer, or are they just for looks?
    I'm guessing here, but here's my guess:

Those ridges are breaking up the light source and making many, much smaller, light sources. This, in effect, will result in softer shadows because the shadow created by one "light source" will be illuminated by another light source.

Like I said, it's just a guess.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 4, 2006
    Yeah, I didn't notice the link to find out if they had any in stock or not. All I saw was Availiability
    and at a glance I thought it said Availiable. In fact, where it says Accepting Orders, made me think
    they had it in stock.rolleyes1.gif

So I hope to have it before I go to this coming Friday's seminar.

I kept looking for it two days after I ordered it. Should have known it wasn't coming before 2 weeks.
    I guess, if God willing, B&H will get it Monday and ship it to me Monday, and I'll have it Wednesday.
    Is yours still on Back Order? I hope it's not. Hope you get yours soon.

where's your seminar and which way will you be traveling?-

I work in oak ridge and will be there and knoxville area friday-

if yours doesn't come in you can borrow mine-

george
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2006
    Thanks, George!

You live a bit far away, and I hate borrowing things, even something like an LS.
    Besides, my camera started acting up today. You can read about it in my thread in the Camera section titled Crosshair.
    In case you know what my camera's problem is, you can tell me in there.
    My D50 may have to be sent off to Nikon, or go to the shop here in town.sad.gif
    My LS should be here by Friday, but if the D50 is starting to go out, then no need to have my LS anytime soon.

But thanks anyway!:):

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    kjdragonkjdragon Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2006
    I have been getting mixed results with my LSIIPJ. For shots that are close up - its wonderful - for shots that are farther away or in a large room with tall ceilings - I have not been getting nearly as good results. I keep having to crank up the exp. settings to get bright enough shots to satisfy me. The LSIIPJ just kills too much light at that point.

Maybe I'm just not using it correctly????

also the weight of this thing makes it difficult to walk around with my flash at a 45 degre angle. With the LS on, my flash keeps falling down to the "Straight ahead" position. No problems when its pointing straight up.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2006
    kjdragon wrote:
    I have been getting mixed results with my LSIIPJ. For shots that are close up - its wonderful - for shots that are farther away or in a large room with tall ceilings - I have not been getting nearly as good results. I keep having to crank up the exp. settings to get bright enough shots to satisfy me. The LSIIPJ just kills too much light at that point.

also the weight of this thing makes it difficult to walk around with my flash at a 45 degre angle. With the LS on, my flash keeps falling down to the "Straight ahead" position. No problems when its pointing straight up.

Wish I knew what to tell ya. I am still an amateur... after a year.rolleyes1.gif
    As for experimenting with the LS, I still dunno,`cos I still don't have mine.
    It's still on order. I'll let ya know what kind'a shots I get from it as soon as I get it in my hands.
    Others in here that have it can tell ya what to do to get the best results.

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    lightspherecloud.jpg

That thing just looks stupid...IMOrolleyes1.gif . It sure does look like a Tupperware dish!lol3.gif I hope it works for those of you willing to spend the $50 on it. Good luck!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    That thing just looks stupid...IMOrolleyes1.gif . It sure does look like a Tupperware dish!lol3.gif I hope it works for those of you willing to spend the $50 on it. Good luck!
    Yeah, it looks silly, but they say ya get use to it, and the jokes you get from it...
    and that it does make certain pictures look very good.
    I still haven't received mine. This is day 10, and it's still on order.rolleyes1.gif
    Guess I still won't have it for this weekend either.11doh.gif
    Maybe next weekend.rolleyes1.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    kjdragon wrote:

Here is my experience: First, not every situation calls for it. There are situations where a strong bounce is needed, so I take it off.

Where it does work well are rooms that do not have good places to bounce (high/dark ceilings) or in crowded rooms. Here, the LS really shines, especially vs direct lighting.

I also find that it works really well for situations where direct light is called for, like for many portraits. Using the LS on the flash, pointed directly at the subject, with the 'tupperware lid' on, works perfectly.
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Here's an update:

I ordered a 580ex flash and LSII from BH on 5/26/06. I paid for UPS, so I received the 580ex last Monday 6/5/06.

The LSII is still in "on order" status. I wonder how long until they get this in. It's been two weeks since I ordered.

I checked with their online chat a few days ago and was told it may arrive yesterday. Maybe because their closed today (Saturday), I won't see the status update until tomorrow.

Waiting and waiting...
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    PeterGar wrote:
    Here's an update:

I ordered a 580ex flash and LSII from BH on 5/26/06. I paid for UPS, so I received the 580ex last Monday 6/5/06.

The LSII is still in "on order" status. I wonder how long until they get this in. It's been two weeks since I ordered.

I checked with their online chat a few days ago and was told it may arrive yesterday. Maybe because their closed today (Saturday), I won't see the status update until tomorrow.

Waiting and waiting...
    My LS was suppose to have been at my door today since B&H received it and then shipped it to me Thursday.
    I've seen UPS run on Saturdays, so I dunno why it didn't come today.

I know it won't be here tomorrow since the PO, UPS and over 60% of everything is closed.
    Now this is day 14. Maybe I'll get it Monday.
    So much for $12.50 for 2-day air.rolleyes1.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    My LS was suppose to have been at my door today since B&H received it and then shipped it to me Thursday.
    I've seen UPS run on Saturdays, so I dunno why it didn't come today.

I know it won't be here tomorrow since the PO, UPS and over 60% of everything is closed.
    Maybe I'll get it Monday.
    So much for $12.50 for 2-day air.rolleyes1.gif

UPS Saturday is not covered under there 2-day air.

Saturday service is extra.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Well, yay! I finally got my LSII at 11:28am - est.
    I ordered the Clear model, but it has an opaque lid.
    Are both the Clear and Cloud models suppose to have the opaque lid?
    It doesn't seem it would matter, just wondering.

This LS doesn't seem to be as big as I thought it would be,
    so it doesn't look as goofy to me as some say it is.
    I'm okay with its appearence.thumb.gif
    Now let's see if my close-ups and portraits will look better.

Saurora, did ya get yours yet or is it still on back order?

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    I LOVE MY LS!!!
    Here is one picture I took of my daughter the first day I got it......
    strickly available window light and my (embarrasing) 420ex canon flash

I use it ALL the time now.....I've had mine for about 4 months now.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    That's a sharp and vivid shot.:):

I haven't used mine yet. Been to a Bible class, then went straight to work. I just got home.
    There's gonna be some baptisms Friday evening at the Revelation of Hope seminars that I've
    been going to, that's run by the Hope Channel,
    and that's run by Mark Finley... my world-pastor. So I hope I do well at taking those pictures.

My baptism is on the 24th, in a river at Cohutta Springs, GA. Pastor Finley is baptizing me,
    but no one to take my picture.rolleyes1.gif
    But I'll get a picture of Pastor Finley as soon as I can.

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    Well, yay! I finally got my LSII at 11:28am - est.
    I ordered the Clear model, but it has an opaque lid.
    Are both the Clear and Cloud models suppose to have the opaque lid?
    It doesn't seem it would matter, just wondering.

This LS doesn't seem to be as big as I thought it would be,
    so it doesn't look as goofy to me as some say it is.
    I'm okay with its appearence.thumb.gif
    Now let's see if my close-ups and portraits will look better.

Saurora, did ya get yours yet or is it still on back order?
    Yes, the "lid" is opaque and acts as a decent diffuser when you point the flash directly at the subject (vice straight up for additional light diffusion)
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    Yes, the "lid" is opaque and acts as a decent diffuser when you point the flash directly at the subject (vice straight up for additional light diffusion)
    Okay, cool.
    I didn't think it really mattered.
    I'm not testing it today,`cos it's cloudy and humid out and it's almost time to go to work again.
    Rain, heat, humidity, cloudiness and work. All keep me from photographing.rolleyes1.gif
    I'm now watching Gary Fong's LSII DVD.

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    I'm getting ready to go to the seminar, (first time of having the LS there).
    I hope I get some good pictures this time, or at least one good picture.:):

My Gear