Options

Are These Three RAMS The Same?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif Actually, I thought you were dead on. I am a computer idiot.

Laughing.gif if you think you are a computer idiot you should spend a day doing my job and see what is really out there. Your a user, not a tech, but not an idiot.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Just read my sig line... Everyone knows that Bill Gates is *always* right! :D
    Chris
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Exactly. I do beleive we have a E.U.E. issue here. Please put the laptop down and take a nap.

Left it overnight. Pulled the batt this AM for about :10 seconds. No dice. Time to read the problem solving chapter in my dummies book.

I'm not worried. The Genius bar isn't too far away, that's a nice comfort zone to have.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Left it overnight. Pulled the batt this AM for about :10 seconds. No dice. Time to read the problem solving chapter in my dummies book.

I'm not worried. The Genius bar isn't too far away, that's a nice comfort zone to have.
    Hmmm let me throw out a hint.

The computer is trying to find and get ride of a drive correct. Or it's a cd or something like that. Plug in the drive you removed before you start it up.... also see if you can slip a cd in the drive if their isn't already one in there.

Odd's are it has something to do with it trying to find the drive that isn't their. Otherwise I'd just reload it since you have only had it a short while and should have backups of everything thats on it anyways right.

oh and Chris do you think I would get in trouble if I added that quote to my signature for work?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Hmmm let me throw out a hint.

The computer is trying to find and get ride of a drive correct. Or it's a cd or something like that. Plug in the drive you removed before you start it up.... also see if you can slip a cd in the drive if their isn't already one in there.

Odd's are it has something to do with it trying to find the drive that isn't their. Otherwise I'd just reload it since you have only had it a short while and should have backups of everything thats on it anyways right.

oh and Chris do you think I would get in trouble if I added that quote to my signature for work?

Gary, I highly doubt that remains to be the problem after he's powered down and restarted.

My guess? Bad RAM. It failed. Take the new RAM out and see if the problem goes away.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Sid, the first thing I do when I have a problem with a laptop is to pull the battery and try and boot it on AC power alone. Have you tried that yet? That doesn't seem to be the problem here, but you never know.

Both Dragon's and David's suggestions seem spot on to me... If the first doesn't work, try the second.
    Heh heh, I guess it depends on where you work! I could probably get away with it... but the people I work with all have Doctorates (or trying to get them).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Gary, I highly doubt that remains to be the problem after he's powered down and restarted.

My guess? Bad RAM. It failed. Take the new RAM out and see if the problem goes away.
    Hmmm could be the ram, However I have had computers do the same thing before with floppy drives, external drives, etc, when they still thought they should be seeing the floppy there. So even though he pulled the drive if the OS is still thinking its their and looking for it it could cause the problem. And yes even though he has restarted dumped the battery and all that it could still be a setting in the OS looking for it. Why do you think they want you to drag items to the trash before you disconnect them. This is one of the problems they had.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Heh heh, I guess it depends on where you work! I could probably get away with it... but the people I work with all have Doctorates (or trying to get them).

The people I work with idolize Paris Hilton. I'm kinda thinking they wouldn't understand the jab being pointed at them.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    Hmmm could be the ram, However I have had computers do the same thing before with floppy drives, external drives, etc, when they still thought they should be seeing the floppy there. So even though he pulled the drive if the OS is still thinking its their and looking for it it could cause the problem. And yes even though he has restarted dumped the battery and all that it could still be a setting in the OS looking for it. Why do you think they want you to drag items to the trash before you disconnect them. This is one of the problems they had.

Well, that would be a new one on me. I've never seen a problem like that last through a restart.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, that would be a new one on me. I've never seen a problem like that last through a restart.

Yeah but you didn't think the mac kernel could crash on it's own either so...... mwink.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    Yeah but you didn't think the mac kernel could crash on it's own either so...... mwink.gif

I said that in order to get a kernel panic something needs to be *wrong*. Bad RAM, for instance. A well maintained Mac should never kernel panic.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I said that in order to get a kernel panic something needs to be *wrong*. Bad RAM, for instance. A well maintained Mac should never kernel panic.

In Theory. But in Theory a well maintained PC that isn't being abused won't crash either.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    In Theory. But in Theory a well maintained PC that isn't being abused won't crash either.

Whatever. Tiger is incredibly stable. I have just *never* seen a kernel panic on a system that didn't have something wrong with it. It doesn't just happen. There's a cause for it. That's for the 20 Macs that I'm in close contact with at work as well as the 5 I maintain in and around the house.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Whatever. Tiger is incredibly stable. I have just *never* seen a kernel panic on a system that didn't have something wrong with it. It doesn't just happen. There's a cause for it. That's for the 20 Macs that I'm in close contact with at work as well as the 5 I maintain in and around the house.

Yeah but that has alot to do with the software that is installed on them as well. I have 5 computers at home, almost 30 at work, plus friends, family, clients, and I have never seen a windows product panic on it's own either. It has always been related to a software error created by a third party software, end user error, virus, hardware malfuntion, etc. No software is going to just go corrupt on it's own unless their has been a reason for it to go corrupt. A reason like not following proper hardware dismount procedures, erasing important files, etc, etc, etc. If Macs had equal saturation of the population as PC's do they would have just as many problems. PC's problem is they have way more people using them than macs and way more people who think they know everything about what they are doing on a pc.

Don't get me wrong I love macs just as much as PC's. But they are no more bullet proof than pc's are.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    Yeah but that has alot to do with the software that is installed on them as well. I have 5 computers at home, almost 30 at work, plus friends, family, clients, and I have never seen a windows product panic on it's own either. It has always been related to a software error created by a third party software, end user error, virus, hardware malfuntion, etc. No software is going to just go corrupt on it's own unless their has been a reason for it to go corrupt. A reason like not following proper hardware dismount procedures, erasing important files, etc, etc, etc. If Macs had equal saturation of the population as PC's do they would have just as many problems. PC's problem is they have way more people using them than macs and way more people who think they know everything about what they are doing on a pc.

Don't get me wrong I love macs just as much as PC's. But they are no more bullet proof than pc's are.

You might be right, but I doubt it. Applications crash, but they don't cause kernel panics. An application crash is one thing, but a kernel panic is pretty deep rooted in the system, and the system is pretty well protected from misbehaving applications. I just don't see apps causing kernel panics. The crash themselves, and sometimes you may even need to whip the errant app into shape---but they just do not cause kernel panics, in my experience.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    iBreak Mac. :uhoh

What ever happened with this?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    What ever happened with this?
    Bad memory. The Mac is fine.

I bought the machine thru the NAPP PC Mall, and they put together the bigger hard drive and the memory. Although the memory specs match what's supposed to work in the Macbook, I notice the Viking site does not specify that memory for the Macbook. Dunno why. At any rate, when I took out the 2GB and returned the original memory, everything was hunky dory again.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Bad memory. The Mac is fine.

I bought the machine thru the NAPP PC Mall, and they put together the bigger hard drive and the memory. Although the memory specs match what's supposed to work in the Macbook, I notice the Viking site does not specify that memory for the Macbook. Dunno why. At any rate, when I took out the 2GB and returned the original memory, everything was hunky dory again.

Huh. Interesting.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Has anybody ever broken their arm, patting themselves on the back?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Has anybody ever broken their arm, patting themselves on the back?

Heheh.

Guilty.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Heheh.

Guilty.
    blbl.gif

I hate returning things. :bluduh

I think I'll use Andy's site for my next attempt at bumping the memory.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    blbl.gif

I hate returning things. :bluduh

I think I'll use Andy's site for my next attempt at bumping the memory.

He recommended two. Mushkin and Crucial. I've only used Crucial and had good luck with them.
    Moderator Emeritus