Options

NY Times Photography Q & A

2»

Comments

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Is that an LA thing? Never heard of that.

Exactly ... that's why they are so cool ... very few PP plates running around. PP = Press Photographer ... issued by most states. In California they have a triangle on the left followed by some numbers on the right ... inside the triangle is "PP" for Press Photographer. All it does is get people to turn their heads and wonder why you're so cool and they're not.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    LOVEphotosLOVEphotos Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    THANKS! Andy for the link thumb.gif ... very GOOD reading 1drink.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Exactly ... that's why they are so cool ... very few PP plates running around. PP = Press Photographer ... issued by most states. In California they have a triangle on the left followed by some numbers on the right ... inside the triangle is "PP" for Press Photographer. All it does is get people to turn their heads and wonder why you're so cool and they're not.
    Hmmm, must be new-ish. Didn't have them in Sacto thru '91, Miami thru '92, St. Louis thru '99. Not sure Atl has 'em either. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Hmmm, must be new-ish. Didn't have them in Sacto thru '91, Miami thru '92, St. Louis thru '99. Not sure Atl has 'em either. ne_nau.gif

Nope ...just very rare ... I've had a pair since the mid-70's
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Ok... so I'm throwing my two cents here...

There is no real good money in press/photojournalism - semidecent, but not good IMHO... it's an adventure type job... you do it because it is fun...

As in any situation, just because you have a pass doesn't make the shooter professional, but I do tend to agree that "amateur" shooters tend to get in the way... I know I probably did when I was an intern/still learning the ropes...

Although I know of a certain photographer that gave me attitude once when I told him to move... he told me that he was "the official" photographer for a certain concert AND that he had been published... told him... "dood... I don't care if you're The Pope... you're in my shot and in my way... now MOVE!!!" - later found out that his "published" work was an email newsletter for the group sponsoring the concert... AND he was using a flash at an indoor concert... shows how much HE knew about working concerts...

The press plates are cool... but here in NV it only says "Press", not "Press Photographer", so just regular cool, not awesome cool... =C

Anyways... back to press passes... the free/semi-free shoot and send to a small publication is a way to start... you sell yourself to the editors that way... and go from there... especially if you can cover odd events/hours for them... that is how I started shooting for a website... that lead into a staff photographer at a local (TX) magazine... and voila... press pass around my neck...

As for Nikolai's dilema at this particular venue... I would've asked for a venue manager, not a security manager, told him that you were a proud parent and most likely than not, you would've probably gotten to this area...

To some point, venues tend to not like some press people because some/most press pass holders act like they deserve better anything from the venue/concert promoters and/or take advantage of the pass... but it is like anything... if you treat people with respect, you'll earn their respect also...

I used to shoot video for a certain reporter that was a pain in the you know what and most concert promoters tried to deny her credentials, as well as any for her shooter (me)... but when I shot freelance for other places... I had no problem getting in - pass or no pass, because they knew how I acted and that I would abide by their rules...
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro