photo framing - creating a drop shadow in PhotoShop

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 2, 2010 in Finishing School
Guys where do i find a prog that will put a raised frame around the photo?

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    Do you have example of what you mean? Photoshop can give you an embossed frame.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Do you have example of what you mean? Photoshop can give you an embossed frame.
    Dont remember but i saw it in here somewhere. Where is it in P/S ? Buggered if i can see it.

It makes the photo look as if its raised off the background & puts a frame around it.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Dont remember but i saw it in here somewhere. Where is it in P/S ? Buggered if i can see it.

It makes the photo look as if its raised off the background & puts a frame around it.

Do you mean drop shadows? Like this but with a frame inside the shadow?

2338679-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 11, 2004
    Thats it ! How do i get that ?
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    One way is from Photoshop Elements 2, click on the Effects pallette (in upper right) and choose "drop shadow frame".
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 11, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats it ! How do i get that ?

What imaging software are using? Photoshop 5-6-7-or CS will do. Here is an image... Most imaging editors will have similar commands I suspect

Church in Santa Fe
    2362370-S.jpg

First take you image and enlarge the canvas to allow a place for the shadow to display by pressing - Image - Canvas Size - - I change the size to pixels and typically enlarge the canvas about 10% to give a nice white border - leave the Relative box checked - here is the expanded canvas

2362615-L.jpg

Now that you have a white border you must Select the colored area with the selection tool of your choice - the marquee tool or the magnetic lasso or whatever you prefer - I usually select the white border and then Inverse to get the colored area selected - the red outline in the next picture is to demonstrate the selection of the colored area - in PS you would see 'dancing ants' - the dotted moving white line outlining your selection.....

2362616-M.jpg

Now that you have the image selected on the enlarged canvas just press Cotrol-J to create a duplicate layer of the image on top of the ( image + the enlarged canvas border ) - you can also duplicate the selected area by pressing - Layer - Duplicate Layer ..... Now things begin to come together

Press Layer - Layer Style - Drop shadow and the drop shadow command box pops into view. Leave the blend mode set at multiply - just play with the angle, distance, spread, and size buttons and see your shadow appear on you monitor as you watch real time - Be sure that you have press the 'd' key before you do the drop shadow so that you have the correct black and white colors for your foreground and backgorund colors -- and BINGO!!!

2362814-M.jpg

Your very own drop shadow -- High Five and all that - Time for a Fosters.... or a MGD or whatever your beverage of choice!! Good onYa!

edited February 11, 2004
    or...in PE2, open your image, click on the effects palette, and drag the "drop shadow frame" icon onto your image, and boom...no muss, no fuss.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 11, 2004
    there are other effects you can play with that way, including this:
    edited February 11, 2004
    or even this...
    edited February 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    or even this...
    I have never done it that way in PSElements 2.
    Click and drag --- Wheeeoooo - Wham Bam so to speak!!!

Or bam bam bam bam

2363881-M.jpg

That is just too easy - no brewskis for you Fish!

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    the frame is really cool.

The picture is too. Blow stuff up.

What is PS2?
    edited February 11, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    the frame is really cool.

The picture is too. Blow stuff up.

What is PS2?
    Photoshop Elements 2 as opposed to PhotoShop itself.

edited February 11, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

What is PS2?

Sorry...I'm a dope. I meant PE2 (photoshop elements 2). PS2 is an old IBM standard for keyboard connectors.:thwak
    edited February 12, 2004
    Hmmm. lol3.gif It does add a certain something to Fishy's portrait.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited February 12, 2004
    works good on your self-portrait as well. umph.gif
    edited February 12, 2004
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Didn't think you could resist.
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    I have PS 6....looks like i cant do it.ne_nau.gif
    edited February 12, 2004
    Sure you can, I'm using 6 right now. You just have to follow pathfinder's directions carefully. Are you losing track of what he's saying anywhere in the process?
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sure you can, I'm using 6 right now. You just have to follow pathfinder's directions carefully. Are you losing track of what he's saying anywhere in the process?
    Does it show ?

I can only use the simple stuff. It looks a little too techo for me. Surely i can buy a prog to do it ?
    edited February 12, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Does it show ?
    Surely i can buy a prog to do it ?
    Yeah...Elements.
    edited February 12, 2004
    You're spending money you don't need to. It's about 6 steps.

1/ Open yer pic.

2/ Hit control-J. You've just copied the pic and stacked one on top of the other.

3/ Make sure your colors are right. On the tool bar on yer screen, make sure white is the top color, black the bottom one. Click on the litle icon bottom left of the two boxes if you're not sure.

2369871-M.jpg

4/ Show us yer Layers box! If it's not on your screen, put it there. Look at the top of yer screen, click on Window. About 3/4 of the way down is Layer. Click on it.

5/ When Layers box is on your screen, you'll see it has two rectangles in it. The top one's called Layer 1. The bottom one's called Background. Click on Background.

2369846-M.jpg

6/ Go to the top of your screen again. Click on Image. 1/2 way down is Canvas... Click on it.

7/ Up pops a dialogue box. Add 10% to both the height and width. Just do the mental math and type in the new number in each box. Click OK.

2369856-M.jpg

8/ Suddenly, yer pic has a white layer around it. Almost home.

9/ Back to your Layers dialogue box. This time don't click on Background, click on Layer 1 instead.

10/ Back to the top of yer screen again. Click on Layers. 1/4 the way down is Layer Style. Click on it. A selection menu slides out. Pick Drop Shadow.

11/ Play with it to your heart's content. You're done, mate. thumb.gif

2369872-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You're spending money you don't need to. It's about 6 steps.

1/ Open yer pic.

2/ Hit control-J. You've just copied the pic and stacked one on top of the other.

3/ Make sure your colors are right. On the tool bar on yer screen, make sure white is the top color, black the bottom one. Click on the litle icon bottom left of the two boxes if you're not sure.

2369871-M.jpg

4/ Show us yer Layers box! If it's not on your screen, put it there. Look at the top of yer screen, click on Window. About 3/4 of the way down is Layer. Click on it.

5/ When Layers box is on your screen, you'll see it has two rectangles in it. The top one's called Layer 1. The bottom one's called Background. Click on Background.

2369846-M.jpg

6/ Go to the top of your screen again. Click on Image. 1/2 way down is Canvas... Click on it.

7/ Up pops a dialogue box. Add 10% to both the height and width. Just do the mental math and type in the new number in each box. Click OK.

2369856-M.jpg

8/ Suddenly, yer pic has a white layer around it. Almost home.

9/ Back to your Layers dialogue box. This time don't click on Background, click on Layer 1 instead.

10/ Back to the top of yer screen again. Click on Layers. 1/4 the way down is Layer Style. Click on it. A selection menu slides out. Pick Drop Shadow.

11/ Play with it to your heart's content. You're done, mate. thumb.gif

2369872-M.jpg
    Miller time!!

Wxwax - You are getting the Photoshop Program screen shots by pressing the PrintScreen key and then pasting from the clipboard into your image editor for the nice instruction sheet images you just posted? And then uploaded the jpgs to smumug for linking...... Cool job.....

edited February 12, 2004
    Thanks heaps blokes.....will try it tonight & let you know. Would you believe i have just sold a 7 year biz that had half a doz people on computers doing printing layouts all day long ?...i used to get them to do everything for me whilst i made lunch for them & generally got in the way.
    edited February 12, 2004
    Pathfinder, you got it. I actually hit Alt-Print Screen, 'cause I don't know any better. Then I paste it into a new Photoshop document. When I resize it, I un-click the Resample box. I read that that preserves the quality better when shrinking an image.

Hummer, just post if you lose a step. The only tricky bits are step #7 - changing the numbers for the Canvas. And Step #4, making sure you find your Layers box. Both are easy enough if someone helps you.
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks heaps blokes.....will try it tonight & let you know. Would you believe i have just sold a 7 year biz that had half a doz people on computers doing printing layouts all day long ?...i used to get them to do everything for me whilst i made lunch for them & generally got in the way.
    Hire some college kid to do it then - Keeps your mind free for the big picture!! Put an ad out for a starving graphic artist..........

edited February 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hire some college kid to do it then - Keeps your mind free for the big picture!! Put an ad out for a starving graphic artist..........
    Hey, it worked for Ansel.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 12, 2004
    I didn't realize PE 2 had effects. You can even use multiples!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 12, 2004
    eeeew...what did you do to my bike? eek7.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 13, 2004
    fish wrote:
    eeeew...what did you do to my bike? eek7.gif
    I dunno. But Grey would look better don't ya think?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 13, 2004
    Got it !!! Ta waxy thumb.gif

Did you get the black/white bit in the start arse about ?